Danny Rose hands in transfer request (1 Viewer)

Greggs

Last year we couldn't score. BUT, we were keeping clean sheets!

larry_david

My criticism is not with the strikers he's signed, it's that he's sticking them out wide, it's not working and they are not getting chances/effective and then he's coming out saying 'I'm having to do it'. Bradford fans said about Hiwula, stick him up front, not out wide, he's pacey beyond the last man and he'll score, his stats prove he will score so what do we do? Stick him out wide. Didn't he put Biamou out wide for the last 10 mins the other day?

As for the Marc Mcnulty, there were some people who here who you rightly say got on his back, even booed. But Mcnulty had the pedigree, had the history of scoring goals and most of us knew he would come good. (Backed him at 80/1 top scorer in nov, you know) I'm pretty sure Hiwula will get 15 this season if played in his right position and getting good service. I've not seen AB yet so I can't comment.

Sort the system out. The rest should follow

Liquid Gold

We should have kept the same system that got us promoted and bought in players to suit that. If you're looking at two players for each position then My squad would have been

GK - Burge & new keeper

LB - Brown & Mason look decent so I'm happy with the replacement
RB - Grimmer & Sterling - Sterling doesn't look great so far but will hopefully grow but Grimmer needs to get his match fitness up
Tough CB - Davies & another - when Davies is out there isn't a battler/leader in there
Ball playing CB - Willis & Hyam - all others loaned out, McDonald was no loss

LM - Shipley & Allassini - good young pair with different attributes
RM - Jones & another - we're desperate for JJ to come back as we've bought nobody to provide width on that side
Tough CM - Doyle & Ogogo - looks good
Cultured CM - Bayliss & Kelly - looks good

AM - Andreu - shouldn't be automatic choice if it doesn't suit us

Target man - Biamou & another - I'd have bought in Stockley for this role not JCH, Bakayoko may work
Goalscorer - Hiwula & another - Chaplin would have been good, Rose maybe

4-4-2 at home 4-4-1-1 away

In my list we're missing a keeper, a CB a RM and one or two Strikers 4/5 players that we don't have. At least they all know their jobs and what position they're playing each week instead of coming into the season having ripped everything up from last year and playing random attacking signings anywhere across the pitch.

This leaves
O Brien
Addai
Camwell
Thompson
Westbrooke
Bosma
JCH

Ponticelli
Walters
Williams

that are not needed for the first team so should be loaned/sold, the ones in bold bought in this summer.

I get the principle of bringing in players like Walters and Williams to develop but we need players that go straight into the team.

Last edited:

Londonccfcfan

I think maybe because it doesn’t fit in with the buy cheap develop and sell policy most of them are at the top of their value

Thats a steps forward then 3 steps back policy.

We lack even a modicum of investment. Forget Madders/mcnulty money, what about the 6700 season tickets!

We got 13000 for our first home game well over 12k home fans. They have well and truly completely fucked up any feel good factor.

Nick

Administrator

We lack even a modicum of investment. Forget Madders/mcnulty money, what about the 6700 season tickets!

We got 13000 for our first home game well over 12k home fans. They have well and truly completely fucked up any feel good factor.

What about the season tickets?

Not sure what point you are trying to make with that bit?

Nick

Administrator
Well what was he bought in to do then as his goal scoring record isn't great either. If you're 6'4 and can't win headers then something is wrong.

He needs to play the channels or on the shoulder of the last man.

Not left midfield or aimlessly hoofing it up to him.

That was obvious about the first 3 times we tried it.

Robins doesnt seem to be looking at players strengths and weaknesses, just putting them in places hoping it works out.

Liquid Gold

I don't think the problem is with our owners this summer, Robins has obviously had money to improve the squad but at the moment it doesn't look like he's spent it wisely. I do think completely changing our style of play with a load of new faces in a short summer was a mistake.

Liquid Gold

He needs to play the channels or on the shoulder of the last man.

Not left midfield or aimlessly hoofing it up to him.

That was obvious about the first 3 times we tried it.

Robins doesnt seem to be looking at players strengths and weaknesses, just putting them in places hoping it works out.
We've signed a player to fit into a system that doesn't suit his strengths then. What's the point?

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Literally 3 games in with 9 new players... give them a chance ffs!

Nick

Administrator
We've signed a player to fit into a system that doesn't suit his strengths then. What's the point?

No idea.

We are playing them out of position too, same with putting Sterling up front effectively on Tuesday.

It's pretty random. Who's strengths have the systems so far this season actually suited?

Liquid Gold

No idea.

We are playing them out of position too, same with putting Sterling up front effectively on Tuesday.

It's pretty random. Who's strengths have the systems so far this season actually suited?
Andreu. Robins is in love with Andreu and while I think he''s one of our best players and a joy to watch we shouldn't rip up everything we achieved last season to accommodate him.

Nick

Administrator
Andreu. Robins is in love with Andreu and while I think he''s one of our best players and a joy to watch we shouldn't rip up everything we achieved last season to accommodate him.

Agree with that, then when he doesn't play (like on Tuesday) the whole system seemed to change to suit him not being there.

We shouldn't play 4 players out of position to suit 1 player.

Londonccfcfan

Literally 3 games in with 9 new players... give them a chance ffs!

On that point so has every club in tge Division, some have 13/14 new players like posh.

Im still giving us a big chance of staying in this division. But with just £1m of investment from Maddsion/mcnukty would have been a good enpugh to get top 6.

If you think this current squad is good enough as it stands for top 6 then your delusional. Its going to be very tough to get 12/13 wins this season to stay up. Without a striker.

Esoterica

On that point so has every club in tge Division, some have 13/14 new players like posh.

Im still giving us a big chance of staying in this division. But with just £1m of investment from Maddsion/mcnukty would have been a good enpugh to get top 6.

If you think this current squad is good enough as it stands for top 6 then your delusional. Its going to be very tough to get 12/13 wins this season to stay up. Without a striker.
Drama Llama!
giphy.gif

Nick

Administrator

We have signed 3 out and out strikers (4 if you include Allassani), 2 of them paid for and all 3 will be getting a decent-ish wage.

Just because they haven't scored in the first couple of games it doesn't mean they don't exist and we can just start bringing in more. It doesn't work like that.

Londonccfcfan

We have signed 3 out and out strikers (4 if you include Allassani), 2 of them paid for and all 3 will be getting a decent-ish wage.

Just because they haven't scored in the first couple of games it doesn't mean they don't exist and we can just start bringing in more. It doesn't work like that.
Yes we have replaced Mcnulty with 3 duds.

Please dont try and label Allasani a striker.

Nick

Administrator
Yes we have replaced Mcnulty with 3 duds.

Please dont try and label Allasani a striker.

I based him as a striker in brackets because of where he was playing last season and where he has played in the U23s so far.

Don't think you are getting it. The strikers we have signed are still under contract and will be paid, we can't just sack them off after a couple of games and bring more in every other week until they score a hat trick to then stick with them.

It's exactly the same as last season when people were demanding more strikers after a few games. If we had bought Chaplin or stuck him in midfield and he hadn't had a sniff in the first few games it would be exactly the same.

Magwitch

We should have kept the same system that got us promoted and bought in players to suit that. If you're looking at two players for each position then My squad would have been

GK - Burge & new keeper

LB - Brown & Mason look decent so I'm happy with the replacement
RB - Grimmer & Sterling - Sterling doesn't look great so far but will hopefully grow but Grimmer needs to get his match fitness up
Tough CB - Davies & another - when Davies is out there isn't a battler/leader in there
Ball playing CB - Willis & Hyam - all others loaned out, McDonald was no loss

LM - Shipley & Allassini - good young pair with different attributes
RM - Jones & another - we're desperate for JJ to come back as we've bought nobody to provide width on that side
Tough CM - Doyle & Ogogo - looks good
Cultured CM - Bayliss & Kelly - looks good

AM - Andreu - shouldn't be automatic choice if it doesn't suit us

Target man - Biamou & another - I'd have bought in Stockley for this role not JCH, Bakayoko may work
Goalscorer - Hiwula & another - Chaplin would have been good, Rose maybe

4-4-2 at home 4-4-1-1 away

In my list we're missing a keeper, a CB a RM and one or two Strikers 4/5 players that we don't have. At least they all know their jobs and what position they're playing each week instead of coming into the season having ripped everything up from last year and playing random attacking signings anywhere across the pitch.

This leaves
O Brien
Addai
Camwell
Thompson
Westbrooke
Bosma
JCH

Ponticelli
Walters
Williams

that are not needed for the first team so should be loaned/sold, the ones in bold bought in this summer.

I get the principle of bringing in players like Walters and Williams to develop but we need players that go straight into the team.
Think it’s a bit harsh on Westbrooke to be honest don’t think any of us know what type of midfielder he is and he came from championship team Brentford and we’ll regarded but I do agree we lack a certain type of centre midfielder imo we lack height and can get dominated

shmmeee

We did sign replacements?

Just because they havent done much in a couple of games with no service doesn't mean they don't exist. It was the same last year when McNulty wasn't scoring people just demanded signing more and more strikers.

Why do you think neither of them got the No 10 shirt?

Nick

Administrator
Why do you think neither of them got the No 10 shirt?

If Andreu had the number 10 shirt would that mean he is a replacement for McNulty?

I think all that means is leaving it open for another potential attacking player to come in on loan.

Londonccfcfan

way too soon to be classing any of new signings as duds

Maybe too soon to judge them, If we want to be a top 6 team in League 1, then we need to sign players with some pedigree at our level. It isnt going to happen by chance or luck.

We are living in hope the strikers we have signed are going to have the season of their lives and score 15 goals.

The McNulty season last year was the season of his life, but was based on previous evidence and consensus that was top signing, cue Evans wanting to sign him for Mansfield too. wasnt a complete surprise.

The surprises we are hoping for shining up turds isnt going to happen.

sylus

Robins will be hoping that his fortunes change sooner rather than later,if i was him,i would be really concerned of how his team is going to score goals, 3 duds have been branded and 3 duds i believe he has bought.

Priority was a goal scorer to replace McNulty and he never replaced him,However this season for me isn't about getting promotion although if it came i would gladly accept it,but more about establishing our self in this league with maybe a top 10 finish and push on again next year.

If we fail to beat Plymouth and not score then the pressure will begin to mount. This is all Robins own doing,he has brought this on himself.

Nick

Administrator
Robins will be hoping that his fortunes change sooner rather than later,if i was him,i would be really concerned of how his team is going to score goals, 3 duds have been branded and 3 duds i believe he has bought.

Priority was a goal scorer to replace McNulty and he never replaced him,However this season for me isn't about getting promotion although if it came i would gladly accept it,but more about establishing our self in this league with maybe a top 10 finish and push on again next year.

If we fail to beat Plymouth and not score then the pressure will begin to mount. This is all Robins own doing,he has brought this on himself.

Roll back a year ago when you said

I wouldn't worry about promotion to much,we won't be going up ,not consistent enough.another season in the sh't league awaits us
can i have some of what you are smoking, Totally shit..2 home games zero goals..
we are just garbage, you can't polish sh't...... i've seen more fire power in a wet box of matches than these wasters..

Nick

Administrator
What has that got to do with this season,totally different league.

Because you were writing off our strikers within the first game where we didn't create enough ? Same as people are doing now.

Last year people were the same about McNulty.

shmmeee

If Andreu had the number 10 shirt would that mean he is a replacement for McNulty?

I think all that means is leaving it open for another potential attacking player to come in on loan.

Point is I could agree Hiwula is the McNulty replacement, nippy goalscorer, yet we aren't playing him how McNulty was played (up front in a two). I think everyone would agree Bakayoko isn't a McNulty replacement. And with Robins leaving a strikers jersey open it suggests he wants someone else in.

Which would imply we haven't replaced McNulty (because otherwise we'd be playing Hiwula there and not still be looking for a first team striker).

Reading that back doesn't make much sense hopefully you get what I mean.

Nick

Administrator
Point is I could agree Hiwula is the McNulty replacement, nippy goalscorer, yet we aren't playing him how McNulty was played (up front in a two). I think everyone would agree Bakayoko isn't a McNulty replacement. And with Robins leaving a strikers jersey open it suggests he wants someone else in.

Which would imply we haven't replaced McNulty (because otherwise we'd be playing Hiwula there and not still be looking for a first team striker).

Reading that back doesn't make much sense hopefully you get what I mean.

Robins isn't sticking to a system though, it's not as if he has played the same system that we did quite well with and had Hiwula there instead of McNulty.

Andreu coming back has changed all that because he effectively wants to play him where McNulty was.

Users who are viewing this thread