Deadline Day Thread (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

None of this really matters cos when the energy price cap issues bite, how the hell can we afford to keep the lights on in the stadium?
One company reporting their electricity bills gone from £10k pa to estimated £140k for next year! Hope SISU have some good credit lines
There was a chap from Lords cricket ground on the other day about how much the cost of having the floodlights on had increased. Would expect something like that would just be included in our rent, doubt its a separate cost passed on, in which case Wasps are paying out more but receiving no more money in.

Nick

Administrator
So we were going to pay a fee for Hyams replacement and had him lined up before he went.

Although surely they would check that before doing the medicals etc etc?

oldfiver

Yea it’s a loan transfer

It's all here🤣

NorthernWisdom

Would think he would be left sided which is where we have the most cover with Panzo, Doyle and then even Bidwell did a decent job.
I don't necessarily buy into this whole right footer / left footer thing at CB. Hyam struggled because he's limited but even then he wasn't *terrible*, it was just we noticed because the team was struggling as a whole, and Hyam was learning this level as we went along. I'd hope Doyle in particular has had schooling from Man City that makes him at least vaguely adaptable and able to play a ball with either his wrong foot, or the outside of his preferred one!

Liquid Gold

If they did have a fee to bring a player in then I expect it to be spent in January not lost in some black hole of random stuff.

robbiekeane

Didn’t actually realise until just now that we’re the only club in the league not to part with a transfer fee this season.

Turns out the model was made of Lego and smashed into a thousand pieces as Asian as some pressure was applied.
Fuck knows what’s happened to you in the last couple of months but you don’t half talk some shite now

People have actually lost grip of reality it’s incredible really

robbiekeane

My understanding on Palmer from contacts at Bristol City is that they requested it be announced as undisclosed fee because they didn't want their fans getting in a piss for them giving him away for nothing.

I will stand by this as it's from people that are always a step ahead what's happening down here.
Good grief it gets better

robbiekeane

Yeah but people seem disappointed they didn't go now because it fits, pointing out how they are all shit or injured.

The next thing is "We kept them because SISU are selling". People will buy into it and get excited and then worked up when that doesn't happen either.
People NEED stuff to moan and froth about. Angry we’re selling our best players for nothing. Angry we’re not selling our best players because we overpriced them. Angry we kept our players because we should’ve sold them.

Madhouse

Frostie

So we were going to pay a fee for Hyams replacement and had him lined up before he went.

Although surely they would check that before doing the medicals etc etc?

They'll have put the request in before no doubt but will have taken time to process etc.
The system is a shitshow in fairness, nobody knows for certain who will be granted an exemption & who won't.

Rente would have got 18 points last season & therefore comfortably qualified (15+ is an Auto Pass). As Heracles got relegated he's technically in a lesser league (does that really automatically make him a lesser player?) & now only scores 10 points. As he is in the 10-14pt bracket the club can appeal for an exception & if they can show exceptional circumstances stopped him getting the 15 points it can be granted on appeal which given the circumstances seems a no brainer right? Alas, no & the process seems to have barely any flexibility at all.
There was another application by a club recently for a player who passed the criteria with ease 2 days earlier then didn't when applying. Also rejected.

The Kluivert to Fulham example is absurd too. He's a full Dutch international & was a regular in the French Ligue 1 last season as well as previously being with big clubs like Ajax, Leipzig etc. If he'd been named in 1 single Roma squad this season (doesn't even need to make it onto the pitch) he'd have sailed through. He gets zero points for Serie A or Ligue 1 currently though, how can that be right?

Furthermore, Scottish clubs are somehow exempt - they can happily sign players from anywhere as Motherwell have been doing pretty successfully taking players from Finland, Norway, Denmark etc. at a fraction of what a UK based player would cost.

NorthernWisdom

I was thinking a bit earlier in 2002 before Nilsson got sacked. I could do some Quantum Leap style assassination of McGinnity before he sacks him.
I genuinely think sacking Nilsson was the right decision. What wasn't the right decision was going for a player manager with no previous experience to replace him. That was the time for a Mickey Adams or similar!

shmmeee

They'll have put the request in before no doubt but will have taken time to process etc.
The system is a shitshow in fairness, nobody knows for certain who will be granted an exemption & who won't.

Rente would have got 18 points last season & therefore comfortably qualified (15+ is an Auto Pass). As Heracles got relegated he's technically in a lesser league (does that really automatically make him a lesser player?) & now only scores 10 points. As he is in the 10-14pt bracket the club can appeal for an exception & if they can show exceptional circumstances stopped him getting the 15 points it can be granted on appeal which given the circumstances seems a no brainer right? Alas, no & the process seems to have barely any flexibility at all.
There was another application by a club recently for a player who passed the criteria with ease 2 days earlier then didn't when applying. Also rejected.

The Kluivert to Fulham example is absurd too. He's a full Dutch international & was a regular in the French Ligue 1 last season as well as previously being with big clubs like Ajax, Leipzig etc. If he'd been named in 1 single Roma squad this season (doesn't even need to make it onto the pitch) he'd have sailed through. He gets zero points for Serie A or Ligue 1 currently though, how can that be right?

Furthermore, Scottish clubs are somehow exempt - they can happily sign players from anywhere as Motherwell have been doing pretty successfully taking players from Finland, Norway, Denmark etc. at a fraction of what a UK based player would cost.

Time for a feeder club north of the border?

skybluepm2

Long time observer first time poster.

I just wanted to say I am baffled at the negativity. Surely the main objective this summer was to keep the big 3 which we have.

We have lost Maatsen, Jcs and Hyam from last years struggling defence and replaced them with Tayo, Panzo and Doyle plus the addition of Palmer. At the start of the window we would have been delighted with that.

Get behind the boys and let’s get up the table. PUSB

Welcome aboard.

Personally, I’m satisfied with the squad. Not overly happy, but I think we are going to hold our own, once we get some momentum. Ideally, we’d have brought in another centre half to replace Hyam, but we did operate with 4 for 3 positions last season (with the exception of Bidwell, Sheaf and Dabo playing there on occasions.).

Selling someone who has grown with us from the bottom up, to a rival, for what’s perceived by most as a modest fee, not to be re-invested is a bit of a kick in the goolies, but if it has kept the wolf from the door then needs must (even though Boddy is alleged to have denied this during the recent forum, added to the fact that we changed our stance from ‘not for sale’ to ‘come and get him’).

At the same time I get the frustration. If we had COH fit and hadn’t had to endure the completely unacceptable debacle with the pitch, which has put us unnecessarily on the back foot on all fronts; morale, anger, momentum, games played, having to play 3 of our first 4 away, plus a cup game in Burton, we may be sitting comfortably in mid-table.

The expectation levels raised significantly during the Summer, after a thoroughly enjoyable campaign last time out. The narrative from the Club appeared to have changed by mid-Summer, from us going away from being reliant on loans, and adding more quality, whereas I’d say we are now in a similar position, if not slightly weaker.

Adamarola may come good and could surprise us all, we haven’t seen him in the league yet. The 2 new centre halves will become accustomed to one another and our style, and will get better in time. We have the goals in our locker so it’s going to be a case of keeping them out at the other end. The previously reliable Moore has been a disaster so far and whilst Wilson is poor, he couldn’t stay on the bench after the first 3.

I’m not in panic mode just yet and don’t expect to take much from tomorrow or West Brom, but the run of games thereafter we shall be fully capable.

Welcome aboard.

Personally, I’m satisfied with the squad. Not overly happy, but I think we are going to hold our own, once we get some momentum. Ideally, we’d have brought in another centre half to replace Hyam, but we did operate with 4 for 3 positions last season (with the exception of Bidwell, Sheaf and Dabo playing there on occasions.).

Selling someone who has grown with us from the bottom up, to a rival, for what’s perceived by most as a modest fee, not to be re-invested is a bit of a kick in the goolies, but if it has kept the wolf from the door then needs must (even though Boddy is alleged to have denied this during the recent forum, added to the fact that we changed our stance from ‘not for sale’ to ‘come and get him’).

At the same time I get the frustration. If we had COH fit and hadn’t had to endure the completely unacceptable debacle with the pitch, which has put us unnecessarily on the back foot on all fronts; morale, anger, momentum, games played, having to play 3 of our first 4 away, plus a cup game in Burton, we may be sitting comfortably in mid-table.

The expectation levels raised significantly during the Summer, after a thoroughly enjoyable campaign last time out. The narrative from the Club appeared to have changed by mid-Summer, from us going away from being reliant on loans, and adding more quality, whereas I’d say we are now in a similar position, if not slightly weaker.

Adamarola may come good and could surprise us all, we haven’t seen him in the league yet. The 2 new centre halves will become accustomed to one another and our style, and will get better in time. We have the goals in our locker so it’s going to be a case of keeping them out at the other end. The previously reliable Moore has been a disaster so far and whilst Wilson is poor, he couldn’t stay on the bench after the first 3.

I’m not in panic mode just yet and don’t expect to take much from tomorrow or West Brom, but the run of games thereafter we shall be fully capable.

Great post

wingy

Just to be clear this was from the start of the window prior to getting Panzo and Doyle in?

clint van damme

Well, amazed we ended up with the other major players still here. Let's hope they're here by choice, and don't lose motivation.

A bit concerned about the lack of centre backs mind you. We're too close to Dabo playing there. Next season will be an entirely new centre back line, you feel...

I think Sheaf would be asked to slot in their before Dabo.

usskyblue

hl-J8q.gif

PVA

Bidwell showed he is also perfectly capable of filling in at LCB (if and when Tayo is up to speed).

Terry Gibson's perm

George Burroughs has gone out on loan to Telford now what about the under 23’s

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Not selling any of the big players on the last day was a welcome plus moving forwards.

Still not a great window overall, partly due to things beyond our control (pitch, O'Hare injury).

Looking against who we've lost:

JCS and Hyam out - Panzo and Doyle in.
Two coming in not as ready as the two that have gone out, so at this moment I'd say we're a bit weaker, plus the two new ones tend to play left-sided. Both have had a decent game and a not-so decent game, so consistency may be an issue, but hopefully they'll get that as season progresses. Also had Pask and Drysdale leave, even though they weren't really in contention last season but still reduces numbers overall.

Maatsen out - Adaramola in.
A step down in quality, certainly in terms of first team readiness.

Shipley/Jones out - Palmer in.
Think it's a big improvement overall, as long as he can be fit and available. Also frustrating that with O'Hare missing we're still only really got one ACM.

U23's, we've had Lusala and Costello in with Evan-Harriott and N'Gandu out.

Users who are viewing this thread