December Stadium Deadline (1 Viewer)

italiahorse

Quick ring Richardson and Eastwood, apparently they want the world record for the Rugby club that's moved grounds the most, and want to change the clubs name to Wasps Nomads. :whistle:

They would have to be stupid to move from the state of the art Ricoh Arena.
Oh wait a minute

Last edited:

martcov

How would you rate wasps for valuing customer loyalty in their original community - higher or lower than sisu?

Equal. Let's see what happens if, as you think, Wasps are being too tough for them. With no stadium lined up and a bad deal as the only option at the Ricoh, then SISU's community loyalty will be tested as Wasps' was in Wycombe. Remember they had their stadium plans at Wycombe thwarted by the residents before they decided to move.

Sick Boy

If CCFC do eventually leave the city then hopefully everyone will quickly accept that it has happend and look to the future.

Terry Gibson's perm

If CCFC do eventually leave the city then hopefully everyone will quickly accept that it has happend and look to the future.

The only way we will have a new ground is to leave he city as there isn't the space to build what the owners want I like the Ricoh but less every week as the pests put their black and yellow stamp on it , I would be happy to travel to one of the surrounding towns Rugby etc even though I never went to Northampton, every party will be guilty if we are no longer in the city but the council must take a lot of blame as they sold/gave away the arena in spite.

italiahorse

The further it is away from Coventry the more fans will stop going.
It's something Sisu need to take on board when they make the financial calculation between a new stadium and staying at the Ricoh.

A similar calculation would have been made by Wasps when they decided between having their own stadium here in Coventry or staying in Wycombe.

Otis

Just read through a big chunk of this thread.

That's 2 hrs of my life I'm never going to get back.

Sick Boy

The further it is away from Coventry the more fans will stop going.
It's something Sisu need to take on board when they make the financial calculation between a new stadium and staying at the Ricoh.

A similar calculation would have been made by Wasps when they decided between having their own stadium here in Coventry or staying in Wycombe.

That's true, still they went ahead with it. They are apparently doing better than ever and even people like you go to watch them, so surely there will be hope for ccfc when they do eventually leave the city.

Otis

That's true, still they went ahead with it. They are apparently doing better than ever and even people like you go to watch them, so surely there will be hope for ccfc when they do eventually leave the city.

Guess the difference is though, that Wasps unfortunately are a Premiership team (or whatever the league's called), so they are at the top of the rugby food chain and will have games against big sides with big name players in the rugby world.

If we are still wallowing down in League 1 when any new stadium is built, it's going to be a tougher rebuilding process. If we were in the Premier when we build a new stadium we will be much less likely to lose fans.

italiahorse

People like me ? :D ................ (checks in mirror)

shy_tall_knight

I would love to leave the Ricoh but only for a stadium within the city. Our fan base is extremely fragile, 15 seasons out of the premiership, SISU's reign including the move to sixfields has diluted our support best demonstrated by the Yeovil attendance of 11,000 the week following 27,000 saw our return against gillingham.

Even though SISU don't have the funds nor the inclination to invest in the club, to move out of the city would be a huge gamble, full if in the PL but risking 5/6k crowds if drifting in the lower leagues.

italiahorse

I would love to leave the Ricoh but only for a stadium within the city. Our fan base is extremely fragile, 15 seasons out of the premiership, SISU's reign including the move to sixfields has diluted our support best demonstrated by the Yeovil attendance of 11,000 the week following 27,000 saw our return against gillingham.

Even though SISU don't have the funds nor the inclination to invest in the club, to move out of the city would be a huge gamble, full if in the PL but risking 5/6k crowds if drifting in the lower leagues.

Even a stadium in the city needs to be questioned.
A Sisu company will own it so will the deal be better or worse than the Wasps deal at the Ricoh ?
Have Sisu discussed with Wasps what the best deal they can get long term, so a proper comparison can be made.

We need to make sure that the hate of Wasps playing in 'our' stadium does not cloud our judgement.

Otis

A Sisu company will own it so will the deal be better or worse than the Wasps deal at the Ricoh ?
Have Sisu discussed with Wasps what the best deal they can get long term, so a proper comparison can be made.

We need to make sure that the hate of Wasps playing in 'our' stadium does not cloud our judgement.
Thing is Italia, none of us know what is going on behind the scenes, or who is talking to who and whether Wasps and CCFC are talking in earnest with each other.

Pretty much 99.9% on here seems to be speculation as to what is or isn't going on.

Guess we'll all have to wait til December ..... and however many months and years after that of appeals and claims and counter claims etc.

stupot07

And like wise we also need to make sure the hate of Sisu doesn't cloud our judgement.

It's very telling you're now calling it 'our' stadium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Otis

This our stadium isn't it? We play in the thing, it's in Coventry and it has own logo on it. It will be our stadium until we go anywhere else.

SkyBlueZack

Oh, the irony. People's hatred of all things SISU clouds their judgement to the point where they agree with franchise sport but detest SISU moving us to Northampton. Hypocritical too

italiahorse

And like wise we also need to make sure the hate of Sisu doesn't cloud our judgement.

It's very telling you're now calling it 'our' stadium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

'Our' stadium could also mean that while we play there it is ours.
I still believed it was our stadium when CCC and Higgs ran ACL and it would have been our stadium if Sisu ran it.

It was built for us but we cocked up and CCC baled us out and took control.

stupot07

This our stadium isn't it? We play in the thing, it's in Coventry and it has own logo on it. It will be our stadium until we go anywhere else.

Otis, think you missed the subtlety in his. He didn't say our stadium, he said 'our' stadium. That was quite deliberate and his intention was to have a dig at anyone who is not happy with wasps playing and owning the stadium.

italiahorse

Oh, the irony. People's hatred of all things SISU clouds their judgement to the point where they agree with franchise sport but detest SISU moving us to Northampton. Hypocritical too

We know why Sisu took us to Northampton and that is in the past and failed big time.
We need to get Sisu to make the correct decision for our club and like a few on here not make it based on their hatred of Wasps and CCC.

If Sisu can't prove to us that a stadium out of town will be better than the Ricoh we need to stay at the Ricoh.
For all we know Sisu might be happy to build a 18,000 seater stadium in Brandon and let us chug along for ever in L1/L2 on existing crowds.

Don't just think the new stadium will answer everything, ask some questions first.
All of us !!

italiahorse

Otis, think you missed the subtlety in his. He didn't say our stadium, he said 'our' stadium. That was quite deliberate and his intention was to have a dig at anyone who is not happy with wasps playing and owning the stadium.

No 'our' actually referred to CCFC.
It was built for us.

stupot07

No 'our' actually referred to CCFC.
It was built for us.

I know it referred to ccfc. It's not our stadium though is it? It belongs to wasps, which is what you meant. That some of us cov fans don't like seeing wasps in 'our' stadium.

stupot07

We know why Sisu took us to Northampton and that is in the past and failed big time.
We need to get Sisu to make the correct decision for our club and like a few on here not make it based on their hatred of Wasps and CCC.

If Sisu can't prove to us that a stadium out of town will be better than the Ricoh we need to stay at the Ricoh.
For all we know Sisu might be happy to build a 18,000 seater stadium in Brandon and let us chug along for ever in L1/L2 on existing crowds.

Don't just think the new stadium will answer everything, ask some questions first.
All of us !!

Given we have struggle to maintain championship football for the majority of our Ricoh tenure in part due to lack of access to revenue, before getting relegated, what do you expect to change if we sign another similar long term agreement at the Ricoh? It changes very little, promotion to the championship will again see us with our of the smallest revenues in the 2nd tier.

I'm keeping my options open, I want to see the business case before I dismiss it

Otis

I know it referred to ccfc. It's not our stadium though is it? It belongs to wasps, which is what you meant. That some of us cov fans don't like seeing wasps in 'our' stadium.

I think over 90% of us don't want to see Wasps in our stadium, but that many of us are just apathetic.

stupot07

We haven't had a ground since 2005. This isn't s new problem!

Whilst technically right, but as sole tenants and the option to buy back the our share, it felt like it was ours.

italiahorse

Given we have struggle to maintain championship football for the majority of our Ricoh tenure in part due to lack of access to revenue, before getting relegated, what do you expect to change if we sign another similar long term agreement at the Ricoh? It changes very little, promotion to the championship will again see us with our of the smallest revenues in the 2nd tier.

I'm keeping my options open, I want to see the business case before I dismiss it

You are saying the same as me then?
Both methods may not get us to the PL, who knows.
But if we are going to tick along in the championship for ever and there is no business case for a stadium in Rugby I want to stay at the Ricoh.

Nick

Administrator
You are saying the same as me then?
Both methods may not get us to the PL, who knows.
But if we are going to tick along in the championship for ever and there is no business case for a stadium in Rugby I want to stay at the Ricoh.
and because of your business case?

Macca

Whilst technically right, but as sole tenants and the option to buy back the our share, it felt like it was ours.

kind of a pointless option ultimately though I guess with owners who didn't want to buy it or sell us and let someone else have a go

italiahorse

So why didn't we buy it in 9 years of being there ?
I suspect we couldn't afford it, Sisu knew this all along and although they made a case to reduce the rent ACL/CCC/HIGGS never appreciated CCFC's position and played there part in our demise. Too be honest once they refused to drop the rent I'm not sure what the club/Sisu could do next.
However, Sisu saw an opportunity to put ACL into administration and moved the club. Something I will never forgive them for.

jas365

The two situations are different though......

Firstly Wasps are one of the best teams in the country, have been champions of Europe and have a team packed full of internationals. We are a League One club starved of success for years with players that are relatively unknown.

Also, rugby teams are more nomadic than football teams, and there are a lot fewer professional teams than there are football. The catchment area for teams that move (see also London Welsh, London Irish, Saracens) is much bigger as there is much less competition, and rugby is much less tribal than football. I know people who go to watch Tigers just to see a good game of rugby. If we moved to any other part of the midlands we would be treading on the toes of a club that already has roots in the area.

By the way I have never been to watch Wasps at the Ricoh and never will.

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

Also, rugby teams are more nomadic than football teams

They're not. Coventry Rugby Football Club, Rugby Lions etc. don't move.

Driven by commercial decisions rather than emotional, professionalism has seen owners attempt to ratchet up income ahead of heritage by shifting clubs... sometimes with disastrous results (Richmond are back where they belong).

The clubs are not more nomadic, the owners have less respect for their teams' heritage and traditions as they are more commercially ruthless than football club owners.

And this is where dancing with the devil and accepting a ruthless commercial operation is dangerous indeed. Isn't that, after all, how we ended up here in the first place?

Except it turned out SISU are mere kittens to the Wasps owners' man eating leopards...

Also let's challenge the statement in base terms. How many English rugby clubs have moved as far as Wasps have now moved from their home?

Users who are viewing this thread