Do CCFC hold the biggest recorded away attendance in England? (1 Viewer)

SlowerThanPlatt

The 11,000+ at Old Trafford back in 2007, is it the biggest recorded away attendance in England ever? I know Boro went close last month but they ended up at around 10,000 I think.

For cup games the only ground what can offer 10,000+ seats is Old Trafford and no one has matched our number yet.

I can't see a scenario where you could get 11,000 tickets for a league game anywhere either.

Does anyone know?

chiefdave

The 11,000+ at Old Trafford back in 2007, is it the biggest recorded away attendance in England ever? I know Boro went close last month but they ended up at around 10,000 I think.

For cup games the only ground what can offer 10,000+ seats is Old Trafford and no one has matched our number yet.

I can't see a scenario where you could get 11,000 tickets for a league game anywhere either.

Does anyone know?

You're probably right. If Old Trafford is the only 10K+ ground and we have the most there we win!

Would there have been any bigger years back when they'd cram people in? I'd guess not as not as many people had cars.

ceetee

....and before ticketed seating and supporter segregation they wouldn't know anyway

Covkid1968#

What does MK Dons away end hold?.....thought hat was £10k plus now with the top tier open

James Smith

Don't know the answer for this, would be great if we were. However I do know that you have as a football club in the league to offer to provide a minimum percentage of your seating as away seating. Stops clubs gaining an advantage by only allowing a tiny number of away fans. Don't think there is a maximum though.

Last edited:

Johnnythespider

Pretty sure we took 15,000 to sheff weds for the quarter final in 87.

wingy

Of would imagine there are pre and possibly post war gates larger due to standing capacities being larger than modern Stadia.

rupert_bear

Over 20000 to Villa in FA cup 3rd round 1964 13000 to Semi final at West Ham 1982ish and unknown thousands to Peterborough again 1964 well over 15000 I believe

rondog1973

Outside of the top flight, the record attendance for an English match was 67,000 for a Villa/Cov fixture back in the 30's.

skybluelee

Does anyone know?

A lot of clubs have taken huge followings to Old Trafford so I would be surprised if nobody has matched our attendance in recent years.

torchomatic

We took 15K to Hillsborough in the QF. I was one of 'em.

~edit~ Johnnythespider beat me to it.

Does anyone know?

Covcraig@bury

Liverpool on a foggy Tuesday night back in the 80s not sure how many but we had he kemlyn road and 1/2 the anny road 2-2 I think !!

Joy Division

ovduk78

Oh man, flashbacks...what a day :)

It was a great day, it was one of those days that as soon as you got to Selhurst Park you knew that we were not going to lose. As an aside the same season against Man Utd, Wimbledon had a crowd of 25,000+, there must have been 10,000+ away fans

rondog1973

It was a great day, it was one of those days that as soon as you got to Selhurst Park you knew that we were not going to lose. As an aside the same season against Man Utd, Wimbledon had a crowd of 25,000+, there must have been 10,000+ away fans

Locals nonetheless......

Samo

Yep, I think your are right with this or though I think it was more than that in the end and we had a spill over into the stand on the LHS to us.

It was an accident waiting to happen. 2 years later it happened.

westofrayne

It was an accident waiting to happen. 2 years later it happened.

Yep looking back at it, an incident could have happened that. I was in the middle pen directly behind the goal, when Cyril scored we all went mad, didn't see my mates again till part the way through the 2nd half and they were only 30ft away.

What an atmosphere though, such happy memories

Chipfat

I think we took 13,000 to Stoke in 87 then the 17,000 to the QF, i can remember Tony Gubba saying on the highlights for the QF that more fans have traveled today than we normally got at home that season. I was there for both as well as the Wimbledon one, great days out.

Users who are viewing this thread