Do you want to discuss boring politics? (18 Viewers)

rob9872

2 years is a long time in politics. Denying the country an election despite changing PM not once but twice, who knows how it goes if he portrays economic credibility
On my ballot paper I had to vote for a party not a person. Perhaps yours was different? Or is that only when Brown takes over from Blair and you like the result? :)

PVA

On my ballot paper I had to vote for a party not a person. Perhaps yours was different? Or is that only when Brown takes over from Blair and you like the result? :)

Brown was the first change of prime minister in 10 years.

Sunak is the second change in a month.

Labour had a 4 point lead in the polls when Brown took over.

Conservatives are 30 odd points behind.

shmmeee

No you didn’t. You voted for a person who happened to tell you which party they belonged to. There is a chance you could have voted for a person with no party but couldn’t have voted for a party without a person. That’s PR.

Grendel

which is totally irrelevant and nothing to do with the political system

Grendel

Two prime ministers booted out in disgrace within the space of a few months is irrelevant? OK.

No you compared brown and said his justification there was only one change and also an opinion poll lead

If you think it’s a goer campaign to the labour MP in your area and ask for a law to be passed in parliament that triggers an election of opinion polls are a certain percentage in favour of the opposition at any point in time

go for it

Grendel

Two prime ministers booted out in disgrace within the space of a few months is irrelevant? OK.

oh and yes as the constitution stands it’s irrelevant

Grendel

oh sorry when you stated this I assume that you were stating there was a legitimate argument for a general election

You now agree there isn’t - good

Grendel

I'm a lot happier with a parliamentary democracy electing Sunak as leader rather than abdicating the decision to the party's members, for sure.

Party members should never be allowed to elect leaders as IDS Truss Corbyn and Edward Milliband prove

PVA

oh sorry when you stated this I assume that you were stating there was a legitimate argument for a general election

You now agree there isn’t - good

There is a legitimate argument for a general election. About 70% of the electorate agrees with me.

That still doesn't mean that constitution demands one.

You really do struggle with nuance don't you.

skybluetony176

I'm a lot happier with a parliamentary democracy electing Sunak as leader rather than abdicating the decision to the party's members, for sure.
What’s funny is hearing party members whining that they didn’t have a say. Err, yes you did. 6 weeks ago and you picked an ideological, incompetent, mentalists. You mentalists.

NorthernWisdom

Party members should never be allowed to elect leaders as IDS Truss Corbyn and Edward Milliband prove
Hmm, I'd actually say that Ed Milliband is maybe a bit harsh being lumped in with the others - he actually shows flair and ability now he's not constrained by the Spin Doctors. Lump him in the William Hague category as a talented politician who ended up in charge at the wrong time, and probably too early.

Nonetheless, when it's left to the MPs it's fair to say that whatever your politics, they do at least tend to elect an adult to be in charge of their party.

PVA

Appointing Braverman just days after she broke the ministerial code ffs.

I suppose it's to appease the headbangers on the right.

duffer

I would happily vote for a constitution that required a general election if the ruling party changed their PM. Would you?

Also, I'd happily include in that constitution a binding ministerial code that meant anyone who brought their office into disrepute by, say, lying or committing a criminal offence could be removed immediately and barred from further office for a least a few years. Would you?

Grendel

There is a legitimate argument for a general election. About 70% of the electorate agrees with me.

That still doesn't mean that constitution demands one.

You really do struggle with nuance don't you.

There isn’t. You struggle with reality.

Skybluefaz

giphy.gif

Philosorapter

I think one of the bonus's in all this with any luck is that Jacob Rees-Mogg may be returning to the backbenches.

fernandopartridge

My prediction for 2024:

Pitiful turnout and an effective re-run of the 2010 election with two sides pledging austerity "because all the money (that we are the sole issuer of) has run out".

I cannot see the huge Labour majority predicted currently but it should win back the 'red wall'.

Users who are viewing this thread