Does Anyone Remember 'Happy' and His Regular Coach to Away Games? (3 Viewers)

LB87ccfc

totaly agree but maybe that's why swindon are giving large, wouldn't have done it in the 80's

And oh deffo, altho Swindon in the 90s used to be fairly handy, no no chance would they brought numbers to HR... that was a different ball game alltogether.

henry the wasp

This thread is mad. People are talking like coventry was on par with man utd, Chelsea Spurs or blues etc.
No one rated coventry. It was seen as a good day on the piss with a bit of resistance here and there. The reason no one rated coventrys firm was because they did not travel when it mattered. 15 years too late including dressing and fv. Coventry is seen as a family club like southampton, norwich, ipswich etc. Which for a city that was moody as fuck 70s/80s is a suprise.
Maine road= Got kicked to fuck outside. Didn't see many faces outside the ground. Thanks lads.
Not many mobs could pull 300 at the height of football violence. Coventry have never had 300. If 300 lads were there then 30-40 tops would be game, the rest would be pavement dancers. Anyone remember Forest in the cup?
Someone was on here mentioning wigan. They are rated more highly than us.
Someone slagged swindon. You do realise most other firms see us the same way.
lastly, v***a. Didn't see the fuss to be honest. Always thought forest were several levels above them.
Oh yeah , take the facebook pictures off.

fernandopartridge

This thread is mad. People are talking like coventry was on par with man utd, Chelsea Spurs or blues etc.
No one rated coventry. It was seen as a good day on the piss with a bit of resistance here and there. The reason no one rated coventrys firm was because they did not travel when it mattered. 15 years too late including dressing and fv. Coventry is seen as a family club like southampton, norwich, ipswich etc. Which for a city that was moody as fuck 70s/80s is a suprise.
Maine road= Got kicked to fuck outside. Didn't see many faces outside the ground. Thanks lads.
Not many mobs could pull 300 at the height of football violence. Coventry have never had 300. If 300 lads were there then 30-40 tops would be game, the rest would be pavement dancers. Anyone remember Forest in the cup?
lastly, v***a. Didn't see the fuss to be honest. Always thought forest were several levels above them.

It's the same as 300 from anywhere, a front line is no more than 10 wide.

Nobody is saying Cov are on par with any of them. Good days and bad days like most.

M&B Stand

The mere mention of swindon on here will almost gaurantee an extra large police presence at the county ground the saturday before christmas. Whether it's required or not.

15 pages of chat and no mention of Mr R, deported from France '98? Shocker!

Is that Raff? If so he was mentioned on a similar thread titled "do you remember cornflakes from leamington" which was posted the other day.

I've seen him at every game I've been to this season both home and away, take it he isn't banned?

Last edited:

The Gentleman

Considering Villa were seen as our main rivals back in the day, did we have many runnings with the villa lot?

Plenty but mainly at Villa.

Henry the Wasp, Coventry took 300 to Spurs last game of the season late 90's so not unheard of. With regard to the not rated comment, I think that stems from the fact that from what I hear Coventry never really traveled in large numbers due to different spats in the City and therefore could never be compared to the exploits of some of the bigger and more well known so called firms who had massive mobs and better organisation. But don't let that fool you into thinking that Coventry never traveled because I have heard first hand accounts from people in other parts of the country when I used to watch England and we went to places like Man U, Liverpool, West Ham, Leeds etc, just not in large numbers so doesn't get plastered all over the press or heard about in the hoolie grapevines.

fernandopartridge

Henry the Wasp, Coventry took 300 to Spurs last game of the season late 90's so not unheard of. With regard to the not rated comment, I think that stems from the fact that from what I hear Coventry never really traveled in large numbers due to different spats in the City and therefore could never be compared to the exploits of some of the bigger and more well known so called firms who had massive mobs and better organisation. But don't let that fool you into thinking that Coventry never traveled because I have heard first hand accounts from people in other parts of the country when I used to watch England and we went to places like Man U, Liverpool, West Ham, Leeds etc, just not in large numbers so doesn't get plastered all over the press or heard about in the hoolie grapevines.

I think I know who this is now.

Astute

I am afraid to say I was one of them idiots in the 80's. The difference is it wasn't going for the fight. It was knowing there was a good chance of getting involved. Football really suffered them days. Our home attendances really suffered. On an away day we were happy to take a few hundred. I would never take any kids, elderly, infirm or women. You were a target whoever you were if you supported the other team. I never wore my team colours on an away game. It was hard enough getting to the ground and back out safely as it was. It wasn't unusual for a few hundred to be waiting for you to leave the ground.

Fights would even occur against fans of clubs you were not playing. Even service stations were not safe. Saw a few battles in them in my time. Train journeys could be as bad. Coaches would get attacked. There were even games I went to where you were watching for missiles coming at you and hardly got to watch the game. And if you managed an away win you knew you were in for a battle to get out. I am glad that things have changed. I now love going into pubs of the other team. Great bit of banter. Take the piss out of the natives. It is what an away day should be about. We are all football fans in the end. I have only got into a fight twice at games since the 90's. And one of them was when a few Cov lads attacked a bloke in Leicester who was with his wife and kids going to the game. Totally out of order. Thought they were big going for an easy target. The family joined us and saw we are all not so bad.

So to Swindon. They do have a bit of a reputation. This is only because it hardly happens these days. Just the same as Port Vale. The one advantage we have is that we travel in numbers. We are not seen as an easy target. Most of it these days is young lads wanting to look big. It won't last long though. The police know who is who. Just like Dave Mapp knows most of our away supporters. Hi Dave......I know you are looking :)

LB87ccfc

I am afraid to say I was one of them idiots in the 80's. The difference is it wasn't going for the fight. It was knowing there was a good chance of getting involved. Football really suffered them days. Our home attendances really suffered. On an away day we were happy to take a few hundred. I would never take any kids, elderly, infirm or women. You were a target whoever you were if you supported the other team. I never wore my team colours on an away game. It was hard enough getting to the ground and back out safely as it was. It wasn't unusual for a few hundred to be waiting for you to leave the ground.

Fights would even occur against fans of clubs you were not playing. Even service stations were not safe. Saw a few battles in them in my time. Train journeys could be as bad. Coaches would get attacked. There were even games I went to where you were watching for missiles coming at you and hardly got to watch the game. And if you managed an away win you knew you were in for a battle to get out. I am glad that things have changed. I now love going into pubs of the other team. Great bit of banter. Take the piss out of the natives. It is what an away day should be about. We are all football fans in the end. I have only got into a fight twice at games since the 90's. And one of them was when a few Cov lads attacked a bloke in Leicester who was with his wife and kids going to the game. Totally out of order. Thought they were big going for an easy target. The family joined us and saw we are all not so bad.

So to Swindon. They do have a bit of a reputation. This is only because it hardly happens these days. Just the same as Port Vale. The one advantage we have is that we travel in numbers. We are not seen as an easy target. Most of it these days is young lads wanting to look big. It won't last long though. The police know who is who. Just like Dave Mapp knows most of our away supporters. Hi Dave......I know you are looking :)

Dave does not look after us anyone, it all changed a couple of weeks back, we now have Northamptonshire look after us away...

LB87ccfc

Considering Villa were seen as our main rivals back in the day, did we have many runnings with the villa lot?

I have heard from Villa fans who used to travel in the 80s who have mentioned travelling all over including europe and rating Coventry away as one of the worst days ever and legging it from HR all the way to the train station..

LB87ccfc

Perfect post in response to Henry the Wasp talking abit of nonsense.

LB87ccfc

Is that Raff? If so he was mentioned on a similar thread titled "do you remember cornflakes from leamington" which was posted the other day.

I've seen him at every game I've been to this season both home and away, take it he isn't banned?

Mr R has not had a ban for a very long time and has only ever missed two city games home and away in over 25 years... so no not banned a real friendly chap these days but a real rogue back in the day

Astute

Dave does not look after us anyone, it all changed a couple of weeks back, we now have Northamptonshire look after us away...

Another reason to get us back to Coventry then. Enjoy the banter with him.

LB87ccfc

Maine Road ...Our lot was too busy inside for over ten minutes battling hence you outside alone..

Forest were deffo several levels above but was known they used to have other firms join in with them and were well organised.. Villa did not really have a firm compared to blues anyway.

As for coventry seen as a family club... hardly correct in the 80s, and to say we was not rated bit of a understatement as I too have heard from several others across the country saying we loved it on our day, and many many brought a tidy number to us... so family club .. no.

Not many pulled 300... I can think of a lot who did.

Cov these days do not bother, swindon bothered as saw us as the big boys and knew we would be game last season after one of our young lads was bricked for fuck all,I know as I know the lad who was bricked and hes a gentle lad.

30 -40 tops game for swindon, take them glasses off pal.

And yes the FB pictures are embarrassing.

LB87ccfc

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...384728.1073741825.175974659727&type=3&theater

That's a pic of Swindon at cov last season, huge police presence though helicopter out for the only time that season.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151488104839728.1073741827.175974659727&type=3

A few good pictures there of Cov old and new.

Should all be able to access the above Facebook links without an account.

LMAO Swindon lads...fuck all there.. move on.

It's a worry that Northants police are now dealing with us. They won't be clued up imo, don't think they will know faces etc;
More of a reason to worry about Swindon away in December

ricohroar

I'd be more worried about Swindon at Home, with only a handful of Cov going to matches, and Swindon picking on anyone, I have a feeling they will see this as a good way to get one over on Cov??

Astute

Yes absolutely Astute, hes alright but remember still a copper at the end of the day

Don't tar them all with the same brush. I was arguing with a few coppers not too long ago as they were arresting someone for hardly anything. He came over and asked what was going on. Sorted it out in seconds. We are safer as travelling fans having someone like him about. He most probably saved trouble that day. Most of us don't want it these days. If it happens then it happens. But why go looking for it? It is a much better laugh mingling with the other supports.

The Gentleman

I saw the Partridge reference in another post so I think I know now.

I knew this was you when I heard a certain very tall man with a cone swede (I know he will read this because he tells me he is always on it) talking to you about your name on this site. How are you anyway, Are you down for the MK game as the same tall fella is trying to persuade me not to work and go down ?

fernandopartridge

I knew this was you when I heard a certain very tall man with a cone swede (I know he will read this because he tells me he is always on it) talking to you about your name on this site. How are you anyway, Are you down for the MK game as the same tall fella is trying to persuade me not to work and go down ?

I am sound ta.

No I am elsewhere that weekend. It was a good day down there last year.

Samo

Wow! This has turned into a covert ops thread! A is asking B if he will be at C with no names but loads of cloak n dagger! I thought I'd just ask if anyone remembered Happy!

The Gentleman

I am sound ta.

No I am elsewhere that weekend. It was a good day down there last year.

Didn't get down there last season, can't stand the place and all them roundabouts, too boring for me because hasn't got that football town feel if you know what I mean. I'm sure we'll catch up soon at some away game.

The Gentleman

Wow! This has turned into a covert ops thread! A is asking B if he will be at C with no names but loads of cloak n dagger! I thought I'd just ask if anyone remembered Happy!

You're just jealous because no-one gives a shit who you are. Take them bolts out of your neck and you might look a bit more approachable

Users who are viewing this thread