Dreadful January window our downfall (1 Viewer)

pastythegreat

I dont want this to become a "Robins out" thread but questions certainly need asking. Before the January window it was evidently clear we need goals in this VERY goal shy team. We bring in an unproven 21yo loanee and pay a fee for an even bigger unproven kid thats played less than a handful of games for Rochdale. While Forest and Preston bring in Glen Murray and Ched Evans FOR FREE who have both scored 2 in 2!!!!
Yes, we've been unlucky with injuries. Yes, we've played well this season and looked (at times) like we can compete with the big boys, but im under no illusion now that we will be going down with Wycombe and the main reason for that is such an appalling January window. While teams around us strengthened, we got kids for the U23s. I get that Robins hands are tied more than most managers in the league, but surely the wages of Gyorkeres and the undisclosed fee and wages of the other lad together would have covered the wages for one of Murray or Evans or similar?! We were slow with signings, and when they did come (Matty James the exception) they were poor.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Johhny Blue

I dont want this to become a "Robins out" thread but questions certainly need asking. Before the January window it was evidently clear we need goals in this VERY goal shy team. We bring in an unproven 21yo loanee and pay a fee for an even bigger unproven kid thats played less than a handful of games for Rochdale. While Forest and Preston bring in Glen Murray and Ched Evans FOR FREE who have both scored 2 in 2!!!!
Yes, we've been unlucky with injuries. Yes, we've played well this season and looked (at times) like we can compete with the big boys, but im under no illusion now that we will be going down with Wycombe and the main reason for that is such an appalling January window. While teams around us strengthened, we got kids for the U23s. I get that Robins hands are tied more than most managers in the league, but surely the wages of Gyorkeres and the undisclosed fee and wages of the other lad together would have covered the wages for one of Murray or Evans or similar?! We were slow with signings, and when they did come (Matty James the exception) they were poor.

Be careful. You'll wake up CC84

junglej13

Won't be a popular view but not from O'Hare. 90% of forward play breaks down when he gets on the ball. Honestly find him infuriating. We need to play two strikers and find a way of getting more men in the box.

CCFCSteve

Going to have to go two up. If so, Walker (and hopefully before end of season Godden)

If he plays walker on his own up top, I think we’re fucked

cc84cov

Going to have to go two up. If so, Walker (and hopefully before end of season Godden)

If he plays walker on his own up top, I think we’re fucked
I don’t see him going 2 up front to start in this next group of games

junglej13

The defence was appalling today but generally I think the goalkeeper (who was also very poor today), the back five and the two holding midfielders are more than good enough for this level. The front three are nowhere near this level though.

Frostie

You realise Glenn Murray is on £30k a week?

Alkhen

We got a striker in you mentalist.

Litterally no idea where some of our fans think fund are coming from. We are in the middle of a massive injury crisis. Way worse than the teams around us. It's a tough run but we had pretty much the same fixtures reversed earlier in the season and came out the end of a slump with a string of good results. Just relax

Otis

Litterally no idea where some of our fans think fund are coming from. We are in the middle of a massive injury crisis. Way worse than the teams around us. It's a tough run but we had pretty much the same fixtures reversed earlier in the season and came out the end of a slump with a string of good results. Just relax
We should have just picked one of the many goalscorers that were readily available. 10 a penny don't you know.

Macca

We are a league 1 club off the pitch. We therefore can’t buy a Championship squad and ultimately will return to our natural League 1 resting place. I don’t there is much that could have been done

larry_david

We have to fight, spawn, scam, sneak our way to survival. Then back at ricoh with 18k+ crowds and do the same. And then, maybe then we can start looking up.

JulianDarbyFTW

If you'd have offered MR this position at the start of the season, I bet he'd have snatched your hand off. The target was made clear at the start of the season; success would be seen as staying up. And so far, we're still on target for that. I get that people are worried, but we've only had a fit striker for about a third of our games so far this season, and that's not MR's fault. And bringing in a Swedish international striker in January is probably a coup for the club at this stage in our growth. This isn't the Championship that we left 10 years ago. Things are far more money orientated, and that's the one thing we haven't got.

fernandopartridge

Won't be a popular view but not from O'Hare. 90% of forward play breaks down when he gets on the ball. Honestly find him infuriating. We need to play two strikers and find a way of getting more men in the box.
He's the best player in the team, the only out ball. 90% breaks down with him as 90% goes through him as the only player brave enough to receive the ball in tight places

pusbccfc

Where on Earth is the money coming from?

During the pandemic, we can't spend beyond our means like most other Championship clubs. We've done that before and it doesn't work.

Sadly Championship teams are spending significant sums of money on players. Cardiff for example have 9/10 players on higher wages than our top earner.

The Championship is a basket case financially and we don't want to full into the trap.

Grendel

Where on Earth is the money coming from?

During the pandemic, we can't spend beyond our means like most other Championship clubs. We've done that before and it doesn't work.

Sadly Championship teams are spending significant sums of money on players. Cardiff for example have 9/10 players on higher wages than our top earner.

The Championship is a basket case financially and we don't want to full into the trap.

Well then we fall through the trap door

pusbccfc

Well then we fall through the trap door

Long term, better option. We will never sustain a position in this league without funds coming in. Joy throwing her purse at players is pointless from a financial fair play perspective and just adds to the debt.

Grendel

Long term, better option. We will never sustain a position in this league without funds coming in. Joy throwing her purse at players is pointless from a financial fair play perspective and just adds to the debt.

Ridiculous we will lose most of our players and just fall away into oblivion

Magwitch

Robins can only operate the transfer window with the funds available to him our owner dictates that. Our critical injury position was evident to all.
How much is the financial hit being in division one as opposed to the Championship ?

cc84cov

The striker who can’t get in ahead of an injured max ?

pastythegreat

You realise Glenn Murray is on £30k a week?
He was on £30k a week at Watford. He won't be on that at Forest. Im not saying his wages aren't out of our reach but he won't be earning that at forest. You do realise he was only an example aswell dont you?

Users who are viewing this thread