EFL new TV rights deal (hopefully irrelevant !) (2 Viewers)

chiefdave

This seems tone deaf from the EFL and a major win for the pirates. Now zero access to games if you don't have Sky and the game coverage will be the shit red button sky quality footage.

Added bonus that loads of games will have early kick off as they still insist on the draconian 3pm blackout.

All anyone wanted was a decent ifollow service with no blackouts, every other sport seems to manage it

Hobo

I get your point Dave. But an option is Now TV to access sky which gives day, weekly and monthly options.

A weekly option can be good if it combines some good football fixtures with a cricket test match. You can choose a package on a week to week bases that suits your budget and what you want to watch.

Personally I can't be bothered with ifollow a terrible and amateurish service.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

Yeah but whether my VPN works is a game by game gamble.
Which one are you using? Based on the comments on here, it looks like they've invested in clamping down on it. I use Nord VPN and it's now more or less impossible to access BBC iPlayer, More 4 etc.

stay_up_skyblues

Completely counter productive to retain the daft 3pm blackout and move half the games to an inconvenient and atmosphere killing kick off time. When I saw the headline I genuinely expected the blackout to be done away with.

On that note, I see Man City V Leeds is on sky today. 3pm kickoff. How does that work? Is today classed as a bank holiday because of sausage fingers?

chiefdave

I get your point Dave. But an option is Now TV to access sky which gives day, weekly and monthly options.

A weekly option can be good if it combines some good football fixtures with a cricket test match. You can choose a package on a week to week bases that suits your budget and what you want to watch.

Personally I can't be bothered with ifollow a terrible and amateurish service.
Just looked into that, they no longer do a week pass so your options are £12 for a day or £35 for a month. Added bonus that many devices, including bizzarly actual Now TV boxes, don't support red button and therefore won't give you access to all EFL games

I find the presentation on ifollow generally far better than the red button sky games. The single commenter, no replays etc coverage on Sky is pretty poor and the picture quality can be terrible. Think a lot of people are looking at the number of games in the Sky had and assuming they are all TV standard coverage which is very much not what is happening

Just seems so backwards and behind the times to me. All most people want is to be able to go and watch their team, preferably at 3pm on a Saturday, and have a reliable service to stream games when they can't make it. Nobody complains about the price of an ifollow stream as there is a perception a good chunk of the money goes to the club, if you read the details of the new deal on the EFL site there's a part that makes me wonder if clubs who do decent numbers on streaming will actually be worse off, 'EFL clubs as a collective will be significantly better', is an odd phrase to use if every club will be better off

Keeping the 3pm blackout is nonsense, their own justification for giving Sky more matches is that there is no evidence games being shown on TV or streamed impacts attendance, so what purpose is the blackout serving?

Sky Blue Harry H

Just saw a chart showing the number of games Championship clubs have been selected for live TV games, this season.

CCFC were chosen for 7

Shockingly (to me) Blackburn were on 20, yet Bristol City were only 4 (at £100k per home game, and 10k for away, that's quite a difference in income)

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Just saw a chart showing the number of games Championship clubs have been selected for live TV games, this season.

CCFC were chosen for 7

Shockingly (to me) Blackburn were on 20, yet Bristol City were only 4 (at £100k per home game, and 10k for away, that's quite a difference in income)

Yeah stinks doesn't it.

Sick Boy

Completely counter productive to retain the daft 3pm blackout and move half the games to an inconvenient and atmosphere killing kick off time. When I saw the headline I genuinely expected the blackout to be done away with.

On that note, I see Man City V Leeds is on sky today. 3pm kickoff. How does that work? Is today classed as a bank holiday because of sausage fingers?
Double standards.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!

CCFC were chosen for 7

Cov would be on at least 23 times with this new deal.

chiefdave

Cov would be on at least 23 times with this new deal.
You have to factor in that you're comparing that with the number of times we were on Sky or ifollow. Looks like the only additional games will be a big chunk of Saturday fixtures moving to lunchtime

Williescar

Reading the Q and A it seems like there will be 5 x 12.30 kick offs each weekend and 7 x 3pm. That is a huge shift to 12.30pm and result in about 40% of our matches kicking off at this time!

Shame they could not spread the times about slightly and have some at 5.30pm and some at 12.30pm.
I think the 5 live games will
be spread Fri sat sun mon

RegTheDonk

Red button is being scrapped
Yes, read the FAQ on your other link, thanks for that. Looks like our overseas chums would continue as is assuming they're not referring to international boradcasters, the rest of us would (on average) be able to legally watch every other game if you couldn't actually get there. I guess thats an improvement for many but altering so many KO times or days is a bit of a pain.

chiefdave

Red button is being scrapped
Sky have existing streaming options and the red button, not sure scrapping that for a 'Sky Sports streaming destination available on TV and mobile devices' is the best idea.

Time will tell but Sky Go took a long time and a lot of updates before it was anywhere close to reliable. Hopefully we're not wishing for the good old days of ifollow. Well hopefully it doesn't affect us at all as we'll be in the Prem!

chiefdave

I hope we'd still get the CWR feed on iFollow and the full game next day. Secondly I hope it's all on normal Sky without having to fork out for the Q box
Think you're going to be disappointed. On the EFL page it says it will be a Sky Sports commentary, so assume the same as the red button now, a solo commentator and silence at half time.

Also says the games will be on a 'Sky Sports streaming destination available on TV and mobile devices', no idea if that means a new app or not.

Sick Boy

Think you're going to be disappointed. On the EFL page it says it will be a Sky Sports commentary, so assume the same as the red button now, a solo commentator and silence at half time.

Also says the games will be on a 'Sky Sports streaming destination available on TV and mobile devices', no idea if that means a new app or not.
I’d have thought iFollow would continue with CWR?

Saddlebrains

Dunno why everyone doesnt just get the dodgy firesticks

I mean hypothetically speaking

If i Fucked Sky off at £80 a month now pay £100 for the year and get the fucking lot, including Ifollow then hypothetically I'm way better off and get everything thats available

Hypothetically of course

Speedie's Head

I saw this:

• From the 2024/25 season onward, this new deal with Sky Sports will effectively replace the EFL’s domestic video streaming option provided via iFollow and Club streaming services
So it only refers here to the video stream. I'm none the wiser.

chiefdave

Should make the radio commentary free imo. Stop making local radio blackout the feed.

Can’t think of any other sport that paywalls an audio feed

Astute

Which one are you using? Based on the comments on here, it looks like they've invested in clamping down on it. I use Nord VPN and it's now more or less impossible to access BBC iPlayer, More 4 etc.
I use Express VPN. Don't have a problem other than with Spotify when needing to add an account.

Users who are viewing this thread