Election 2015 (1 Viewer)

Otis

i dont live in Coventry, but genuinely don't get why people have voted Labour council in again, given what they have done to CCFC ?

It was the Tories too though wasn't it.

What were the exact figures of the vote? Hardly any dissenters were there?

Astute

i dont live in Coventry, but genuinely don't get why people have voted Labour council in again, given what they have done to CCFC ?

1, All parties voted for it.
2, Most people in Coventry don't support CCFC.

Otis

PR, Preferential or ranked voting systems would all work better IMHO.......

......the SNP gaining 56 seats on considerably less than half the votes that Ukip gained on their way to winning a solitary seat highlights everything that is wrong with the current system......

Exactly. 1.5m votes = 56 SNP seats. 3.5m votes for UKIP = 1 seat.

No-one can defend that as being fair.

SlowerThanPlatt

People simply didn't see Ed as a credible leader. He had worst ratings than all the major candidates, and that's before he even got elected. That and the fact that labour abandoned the middle ground and swung to the left.

The only way labour can win another election is if someone like Blair comes back.

jimmyhillsfanclub

People simply didn't see Ed as a credible leader. He had worst ratings than all the major candidates, and that's before he even got elected. That and the fact that labour abandoned the middle ground and swung to the left.

The only way labour can win another election is if someone like Blair comes back.

The way things look this morning, I'd suggest Labour can never win another election outright until the jocks have left the union.....or the SNP completely bankrupt Scotland....whichever comes first....

Otis

how many votes did they get ?

Council vote unanimously on sale of Ricoh Arena

Coventry City councillors have voted unanimously to accept Wasps Rugby Club's takeover of the Ricoh Arena.

stream_img.jpg

The Ricoh Arena in Coventry Credit: PACouncillors supported a deal to sell the Council’s share in ACL – the company that runs the Ricoh Arena.
The deal ensures the Council makes a return on its original investment of £13.7million into the Arena development alongside significant investment into grassroots and community rugby development across the city.
It guarantees Coventry City Football Club’s continuing tenancy at the stadium, with primacy over match fixtures. It will also lead to work to develop links with Coventry Rugby Club to ensure joint work to support both clubs.

Both Labour and the Tories voted for it.

OffenhamSkyBlue

Don't forget that there was a referendum in 2011 on whether we wanted alternative voting (which was a LibDem manifesto policy last time around, and one which they achieved by being part of the coalition).
It was soundly thrown out at that time 32:68 with a 42% turnout), so you can't now moan that FPTP is unfair. Now that the Tories have a majority, they are certainly NOT going to push for FPTP to be removed are they?!
Also, the SNP got 50% of the vote in the areas in which they contested seats.

Noggin

Don't forget that there was a referendum in 2011 on whether we wanted alternative voting (which was a LibDem manifesto policy last time around, and one which they achieved by being part of the coalition).
It was soundly thrown out at that time 32:68 with a 42% turnout), so you can't now moan that FPTP is unfair. Now that the Tories have a majority, they are certainly NOT going to push for FPTP to be removed are they?!
Also, the SNP got 50% of the vote in the areas in which they contested seats.

Of course you can complain, Lib Dems wanted proportional representation not AV and the public were seriously uninformed, it's not exactly the simplest of systems, thats my biggest worry for the conservatives winning, a referendum on Europe is going to be decided by millions of uninformed people who believe what the newspapers spin to them.

edit - un*informed people, that typing error completely changed my post *doh*

Last edited:

Philosorapter

I think we have a clear winner from last night. No not Ed.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 39

chiefdave

I don't think you can really count the referendum. It was presented as a loaded question and didn't give an option for PR. There was very little in the way of educating the electorate about how AV even worked.

Its a different story now. How can Cameron have a mandate in Scotland where the SNP have swept the board? If you look at votes to seats its clear something is wrong, we have a system when millions of peoples vote to all intents and purposes don't count.

The vote breakdown is current Con 36.8%, Lab 30.6%, UKIP 12.6%, Lib Dem 7.7%, SNP 4.8% and Green 3.7%. Translate that to seats and you get Con 322, Lab 228, UKIP 1, Lib Dem 8, SNP 56 and Green 1. I don't see how anyone can look at that and say the Commons is going to be representative of the votes cast.

We could see three leaders resign in one day.

Otis

I don't think you can really count the referendum. It was presented as a loaded question and didn't give an option for PR. There was very little in the way of educating the electorate about how AV even worked.

Its a different story now. How can Cameron have a mandate in Scotland where the SNP have swept the board? If you look at votes to seats its clear something is wrong, we have a system when millions of peoples vote to all intents and purposes don't count.

The vote breakdown is current Con 36.8%, Lab 30.6%, UKIP 12.6%, Lib Dem 7.7%, SNP 4.8% and Green 3.7%. Translate that to seats and you get Con 322, Lab 228, UKIP 1, Lib Dem 8, SNP 56 and Green 1. I don't see how anyone can look at that and say the Commons is going to be representative of the votes cast.

We could see three leaders resign in one day.

Oooh, goody. Cameron, Clegg and Farage?

Philosorapter

As a person who voted for the SNP, The Conservatives have been an endangered species up here for a decade or more. I would expect another vote for Independence after the 2016 Scottish Elections. I think it is a question of 'when' Scotland will become a independent Country, and not 'if'.

Otis

As a person who voted for the SNP, The Conservatives have been an endangered species up here for a decade or more. I would expect another vote for Independence after the 2016 Scottish Elections. I think it is a question of 'when' Scotland will become a independent Country, and not 'if'.

I am happy to do a deal. I'll happily give them independence as long as they promise to not send Wet, Wet, Wet, Texas and Deacon Blue, down across the border into England ever again.

Philosorapter

One of the main problems is that England has gone a lot more to the right side of the political spectrum with New Labour et al. When your not given the choice between parties and voting for personalities instead of policies then people will look elsewhere to put their vote. This is how it is in Scotland. With England, I don't believe there has been a huge swathe of opinion from Liberal policies to more right wing policies of UKIP. It is just that they offer a viable alternative place to put your vote then just voting almost for a personality cult that Westminster politics has become.

Last edited:

Astute

Farage is resigning as leader of Ukip.

He is not happy with FPTP.

chiefdave

He is not happy with FPTP.

Much as I dislike Farage and UKIP he has a point here. 3.8m votes for UKIP giving them 1 seat, 1.4m votes for SNP giving them 56 seats. You can understand why he thinks the current system isn't fair!

Astute

Much as I dislike Farage and UKIP he has a point here. 3.8m votes for UKIP giving them 1 seat, 1.4m votes for SNP giving them 56 seats. You can understand why he thinks the current system isn't fair!

I like him as a bloke. Down to earth and not full of shite like most politicians. Don't like everything his party stands for.

Astute

Nick Clegg has now resigned. Only one more to go.

Astute

The Tories need 2 more seats with 9 to go.

Philosorapter

The problem with FPTP is that it favours a two party system in politics and is really hard to break through. The only way you can do this is to build up local support through local elections first and then gradually building a regional base. The good thing about FPTP is that is stops public knee jerk reactions to events and moves to more extreme political views.

Having the most ill informed people voting on matters (the Public) is not necessarily a good thing.

By definition, the political parties puts out ideas on how they would run a country in a manifesto and people choose what is the best party for them instead of what is the best party for Society.

The only good thing about Democracy are its intrinsic natures of Liberty and Equality.

The worst thing about Democracy must be the political parties that try to abuse to the system.

Philosorapter

To run a successful political party in Westminster you're going to need a lot more then a majority of one. Look at the problems Major had, and he had a majority of twenty one I think. This is not over by a long shot. I reckon they will have to deal with someone.

Last edited:

Monners

Glad I work in the public sector (used to work for a not for profit company - I left before the funding dried up, although the work still remains to be done) and my wife works for a childcare charity. We only had one redundancy and two threats of that in the last few years - bring on those even deeper cuts!!! Looking forward to the NHS being stuffed too - I rely on that to keep me fit enough to work (and I pay in my share)
On the plus side, at least it will stop me thinking about going to as many Cov games

Enjoy the rest of your lives, and see you on the other side

Astute

They have 325 with 641/650 declared. One more for overall majority

I have Sky news on. It is showing 324 with 641/650 declared. 324 Con. 229 Lab. 8 Lib Dems. 1 Ukip. 56 SDP and 23 others.

Only got it on as I put £11.38 on at 14/1 for the Tories to get a majority. I will get £170.70 back. Enough to drown my sorrows later.

Last edited:

chiefdave

Miliband press conference imminent. These must be some of the quickest post election resignations we've had. 3 leaders quitting before lunchtime.

Users who are viewing this thread