Election 2015 (7 Viewers)

Otis

Miliband press conference imminent. These must be some of the quickest post election resignations we've had. 3 leaders quitting before lunchtime.

Cameron to quit straight after lunch and Nicola Stugeon to be the new PM by tea-time.

SIR ERNIE

To run a successful political party in Westminster you're going to need a lot more then a majority of one. Look at the problems Major had, and he had a majority of twenty one I think. This is not over by a long shot. I reckon they will have to deal with someone.

Dream on.

A majority of 6 is the forecast, 9 if you discount the Sinn Fein and Speakers vote. That together with the DUPs will do.

Five more good years ahead.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Glad I work in the public sector (used to work for a not for profit company - I left before the funding dried up, although the work still remains to be done) and my wife works for a childcare charity. We only had one redundancy and two threats of that in the last few years - bring on those even deeper cuts!!! Looking forward to the NHS being stuffed too - I rely on that to keep me fit enough to work (and I pay in my share)
On the plus side, at least it will stop me thinking about going to as many Cov games

Enjoy the rest of your lives, and see you on the other side

Yep...its not going to be pretty is it. I live ooop north & my local council has already had to find cuts of approx. £320 per head (as opposed to wealthy southern areas which have cut les than £25 per head)....

.....One point of order regarding the NHS though.....Labour under Blair & Brown intensified & accelerated the privatisation of the NHS via the PFI initiative.....one of the dumbest sets of investments in post-war Britain....The tories will just continue down that road.

Cunts the lot of 'em.......

Time for a revolution.....kick over the statues

[video=youtube;yEZTZ3_cqHY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEZTZ3_cqHY[/video]

Grendel

People simply didn't see Ed as a credible leader. He had worst ratings than all the major candidates, and that's before he even got elected. That and the fact that labour abandoned the middle ground and swung to the left.

The only way labour can win another election is if someone like Blair comes back.

They have 325 with 641/650 declared. One more for overall majority

325 is a majority.

Astute

Miliband has just resigned :p

He wants Harriet Harman to be the next Labour leader. Welcome back Maggie :eek:

Grendel

Sky say that majority is 326. And they are right as 325 is exactly 50%.

Nope that is failing to take into account 3 MP's who never ever sit in Parliament - only 647 ever vote so 324 will always work

Otis

Miliband has just resigned :p

He wants Harriet Harman to be the next Labour leader. Welcome back Maggie :eek:

No, he didn't say that, did he? Thought he said for Harman just to be stand-in leader until a leadership election can be held.

OffenhamSkyBlue

Nope that is failing to take into account 3 MP's who never ever sit in Parliament - only 647 ever vote so 324 will always work

That's irrelevant. There are 650 seats in the Commons, so if one party has 325, there could be a tie in the voting. 326 is the majority.

Grendel

Dream on.

A majority of 6 is the forecast, 9 if you discount the Sinn Fein and Speakers vote. That together with the DUPs will do.

Five more good years ahead.

Not a hope.

Cameron will be in a complete state of shock. He would much rather have had the dumb power greedy Liberals at his side.

Cameron is a classic elite europhile liberal. He hates the grass route Tories and they hate him. He now has to deliver a referendum which will see him supporting Europe against the wrath of many of his back benchers. This is a nightmare that will finish him in a couple of years.

Grendel

That's irrelevant. There are 650 seats in the Commons, so if one party has 325, there could be a tie in the voting. 326 is the majority.

No again it isn't - Sinn Fein have self imposed exile -- they will never vote

Philosorapter

Cameron is a classic elite europhile liberal. He hates the grass route Tories and they hate him. He now has to deliver a referendum which will see him supporting Europe against the wrath of many of his back benchers. This is a nightmare that will finish him in a couple of years.

Fully agree.

Monners

"Hello - Is that HSS Tool Hire? You couldn't give me a price on your Hair Splitters could you?"

For fucks sake - try and see the bigger picture for once! There is a majority Govt (however slight)! It's done and dusted!

SkyBlue_Bear83

I still don't get how it goes by seats and not actual individual votes.

Simplified down to my idiot level I think of it like this.

Say there were three areas. One 200k population, one 300k and the last 600k. If the 600k population was primarily voting for one party then that party would have over 50% of the individual votes, but they don't represent what the country wants, just what that that one area wants. So to make it fairer, each area counts as 1.

Astute

So will my bet pay out with only 324? No. Because they won't have the majority.

How often are all MP's in for votes together? Very rarely. And half of them are leaning at the bar getting pissed and getting paid for it.

Astute

They have 325 now with 7 to go. Thanks Sky Bet.

Even more money to waste on us getting promoted next season :p

Grendel

So will my bet pay out with only 324? No. Because they won't have the majority.

How often are all MP's in for votes together? Very rarely. And half of them are leaning at the bar getting pissed and getting paid for it.

Extract from the BBC News;

How many MPs do you need to form a majority?
The official winning line is 326. That would be enough for a government to vote through new laws without being defeated by their opponents. However, with Sinn Fein historically not taking their seats and the Commons Speaker not voting, the actual figure is slightly lower. The Conservatives are currently projected to win 325 seats, which would be enough to give them a slender majority. Sinn Fein has won four.

Astute

Extract from the BBC News;

How many MPs do you need to form a majority?
The official winning line is 326. That would be enough for a government to vote through new laws without being defeated by their opponents. However, with Sinn Fein historically not taking their seats and the Commons Speaker not voting, the actual figure is slightly lower. The Conservatives are currently projected to win 325 seats, which would be enough to give them a slender majority. Sinn Fein has won four.

So the official majority is 326 as your evidence shows.

Monners

No offence intended, but can the majority squabble be put to one side please for say.... about 5 years?

Astute

Sky bet are sorting out the bets. Have a green tick in the box and says winning bet :D Will be paid out any second.

Grendel

Monners

Meanwhile, our newly elected Prime Minister drives back to Downing St after visiting the Queen

Edit: just out of interest, but why is Mrs C wearing a high vis vest (well on hre back anyway)?

Last edited:
H

Huckerby

It creates workable and stable government. It would be a disaster without it.

Agree with the first part, but it results in the situation we have with UKIP and Lib Dems and the difference between votes and number of seats.

Worked out well as I think UKIP are clowns, but the principle is the same

James Smith

Nigel Farage now has an important decision to make...

...Big Brother or I'm a Celebrity.

Nah he'll replace Clarkson on Top Gear, Millibean - James May & Cleggy Richard Hammond.

Last edited:

Grendel

Users who are viewing this thread