Ellis Simms Going Forward (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

He's not the finished article so just give the lad a chance, he's still barely played for us. 220 minutes out of 450 we've played. While others might think the signing of Wright has not helped him, I think it's the contrary, it takes the pressure off him to an extent if Wright is performing.

rob9872

So your suggesting dropping a player that has confidence and is scoring goals for a player who has no confidence and isn't scoring goals.

What page of the football managers handbook will I find that little gem?

M.R. morning Matty, I've decided that, because your playing so well and scoring goals, and contributing to the team effort, that it would be a good example to the whole squad to drop you, in favour of that useless waste of money Simms.

M.G. OK boss I totally get it, I promise in future to loaf around like a useless twat, and generally look like I don't want to be here, and couldn't give a fuck about ccfc.

M.R. Brilliant, I knew you'd understand, and with that attitude, you'll be back in the side in no time at all.
Can you ask Fadz to come in please.
Put smiley faces all over the place but first post on here in a while thats me genuine lol. Love it!

fatso

He's not the finished article so just give the lad a chance, he's still barely played for us. 220 minutes out of 450 we've played. While others might think the signing of Wright has not helped him, I think it's the contrary, it takes the pressure off him to an extent if Wright is performing.
Agreed, if Wright wasn't here, the spotlight would be on Simms, and given his recent form, that would not be good.

Having Wright means that Simms can take the time needed to find his feet and settle in.
He'll get plenty of opportunity to imress during the season, but he will have to make sure he grabs the chance with both hands.

hamertime

I don’t think anyone is writing him off, just arguing against the opinion he should be starting.

no_loyalty

It’s going to take a bit of time before Simms hits the ground running, once he scores his first goal for the club I think he will score regularly.

It also took Mark McNulty a bit of time to settle in before he started banging in the goals, so I don’t think we should be worried just yet.

blunted

Two of our best ever centre forwards took a while to settle namely, Cyril Regis and Vic so FFS give Simms a chance. After a season or so if he doesn't cut it, start to panic, not so early in the game.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Putting aside the ridiculous criticism of his early performances (he's been fine for us so far), I do feel a bit sorry for him - he presumably came in thinking he was going to be the main man, the marquee signing, and the centrepiece of our attack. A few weeks later we signed a more expensive and more highly-rated striker who the fans have quickly taken to and is keeping him on the bench. Not the ideal start to a move when you presumably had plenty of other good options on the table.
It's not really Wright keeping hm out of the team, it's Godden.

Simms style is far closer to that of Godden's, and should Godden have two/three games without a goal (or more likely get injured) we'll see Wright and Simms together. I'm confident that the intention was to play them together.

StrettoBoy

Even if you regard Simms as being our third choice - which at the moment he is - I would regard him as a big improvement on last year's third choices of Walker and Waghorn.

JulianDarbyFTW

I keep repeating this point, and it will soon become moot, but at the moment Godden plays because he knows what the manager expects (plus his form, it should be added) Watch a game back and you'll see him pointing at who Wright or Simms should be tracking, or waving them up to press, or to where they should be running. Once the new guys are up to speed on those expectations they'll play together.

Terry_dactyl

I keep repeating this point, and it will soon become moot, but at the moment Godden plays because he knows what the manager expects (plus his form, it should be added) Watch a game back and you'll see him pointing at who Wright or Simms should be tracking, or waving them up to press, or to where they should be running. Once the new guys are up to speed on those expectations they'll play together.
Saw it preseason too, Godden seems to have been given responsibility for organising the forward line on the pitch.

BlueSkiesForever

So your suggesting dropping a player that has confidence and is scoring goals for a player who has no confidence and isn't scoring goals.

What page of the football managers handbook will I find that little gem?

M.R. morning Matty, I've decided that, because your playing so well and scoring goals, and contributing to the team effort, that it would be a good example to the whole squad to drop you, in favour of that useless waste of money Simms.

M.G. OK boss I totally get it, I promise in future to loaf around like a useless twat, and generally look like I don't want to be here, and couldn't give a fuck about ccfc.

M.R. Brilliant, I knew you'd understand, and with that attitude, you'll be back in the side in no time at all.
Can you ask Fadz to come in please.
I see a lot of time went into that sarcasm 😂 I only suggest it as I’d like to Wright and Simms to start together and see what they can do, even if it’s just for one match. Godden scores goals and can finish alright but going forward in time I’m guessing he’ll be phased out in favour of Wright and Simms. I think Godden is fine but nothing special, would he make it into the current first team squad at Leeds, Leicester, Norwich, Southampton, even Hull? I doubt it. He can finish really well and obvs that’s not to be sniffed at but you don’t see him beat defenders with his pace or turn defenders with his physicality. Imagine two tall, strong, quick strikers up front both beating and turning defenders, could cause the opposition a lot of problems. I’m not saying it will definitely happen how I imagine it but if you refuse to try these things then you’ll never know what could be, and at the very least it’s something different that will give the opposition something to think about. If it doesn’t work then fair enough but it’s easy to sit inside our little box and pretend everything works when realistically we’re only scoring goals against sides with defensive frailties.

What I’m not saying is immediately drop Godden forever, I’m saying for maybe just one game we try Simms and Wright up front together. It gives something unexpected for the opposition to think about. Atm any opposition we face could predict our team sheet with 90% accuracy, I personally don’t think that’s a good thing when we’ve currently got 1 win from 5.

Last edited:

croatskyblue

I see a lot of time went into that sarcasm 😂 I only suggest it as I’d like to Wright and Simms to start together and see what they can do, even if it’s just for one match. Godden scores goals and can finish alright but going forward in time I’m guessing he’ll be phased out in favour of Wright and Simms. I think Godden is fine but nothing special, would he make it into the current first team squad at Leeds, Leicester, Norwich, Southampton, even Hull? I doubt it. He can finish really well and obvs that’s not to be sniffed at but you don’t see him beat defenders with his pace or turn defenders with his physicality. Imagine two tall, strong, quick strikers up front both beating and turning defenders, could cause the opposition a lot of problems. I’m not saying it will definitely happen how I imagine it but if you refuse to try these things then you’ll never know what could be, and at the very least it’s something different that will give the opposition something to think about. If it doesn’t work then fair enough but it’s easy to sit inside our little box and pretend everything works when realistically we’re only scoring goals against sides with defensive frailties.

What I’m not saying is immediately drop Godden forever, I’m saying for maybe just one game we try Simms and Wright up front together. It gives something unexpected for the opposition to think about. Atm any opposition we face could predict our team sheet with 90% accuracy, I personally don’t think that’s a good thing when we’ve currently got 1 win from 5.

I never understand this point. “Who else would buy him?” “Would he get into the Leicester team?”

what does that have to do with anything? As things stand he’s our top scoring attacker, and delivering everything we’d want from him (the odd penalty aside).

its silly talk to try and justify a point- hardly any of the squad would get into the Leicester team, do we just drop all of them?

Too many people not appreciating what Godden brings, and then salivate over people like Tavares, makes no sense. If someone is playing well & scoring then you don’t drop them, it’s a simple as that.

Hertsccfc

Godden's goalscoring rate alone suggests he is something special and he adds a lot more to the team than some people realise. We haven't given him a new contract to leave him out of the team. At the moment he is the first choice forward with good reason.

Simms and Wright have been signed on long term contracts. How much we have spent on them is irrelevant to who plays at the moment. Robins will pick whoever is playing the best and able to contribute the most in any given match. Godden is a known quantity who will score goals, plays to our system and brings invaluable experience. Barring injury he will start most games for the foreseeable future.

Simms has been given a number of games and has not impressed. This doesn't necessarily mean he won't turn out to be a good buy. Only time will tell, and let's remember what Gyokeres was like when he first arrived.

Playing Simms ahead of Godden would be irrational at this stage and it won't even increase his confidence. In fact I think it will do the opposite. Take him out of the firing line and give him time to learn what is expected. I actually thought he looked sharper on Saturday in the short period he came on and maybe that was because he felt less pressure from not starting.

Wright in patches has looked really bright and way ahead of Simms. I am not sure yet how good he can be but he has shown enough to suggest he could be a real handful at this level. So it has to be Wright and Godden to start and Simms has to wait for his opportunity.

lewys33

Simms will come good. Even when he came on at Watford he got in to some really good positions and didn't get the ball ... he just needs some confidence and the whole team need to gel a bit more.

fatso

You know, part of me thinks maybe we should try Wright and Simms together just for 1 game, because I'd take the inevitable shit show, just so we can put this rediculous idea to bed once and for all.

Out 10 million pound joint strike force is currently behind own goals in the scoring charts for a reason. They ain't nowhere near ready.

Maybe, we can reconsider when Simms finds some kind of form, but I've seen no sign of him doing that yet.

Now just for all the bed wetters on here, can I spell out that I'm not writing Simms or anyone else off. I'm clearly stating that he's nowhere near reaching the kind of form or work rate needed to earn a start. And to start him ahead of our top scorer would be an absolutely fucking obsurdly stupid idea.

BlueSkiesForever

You know, part of me thinks maybe we should try Wright and Simms together just for 1 game, because I'd take the inevitable shit show, just so we can put this rediculous idea to bed once and for all.

Out 10 million pound joint strike force is currently behind own goals in the scoring charts for a reason. They ain't nowhere near ready.

Maybe, we can reconsider when Simms finds some kind of form, but I've seen no sign of him doing that yet.

Now just for all the bed wetters on here, can I spell out that I'm not writing Simms or anyone else off. I'm clearly stating that he's nowhere near reaching the kind of form or work rate needed to earn a start. And to start him ahead of our top scorer would be an absolutely fucking obsurdly stupid idea.

I love how you’ve already written off the idea of Simms and Wright starting together before we’ve even tried it. How do you know it won’t work? I’m not saying it will I’m just saying it’s worth trying things once and seeing if they do.

Like I said we’re only scoring goals against sides that have defensive problems, it’s not like Godden is some kind of superstar, yes he’s scored 3 championship goals so far but he’s just putting away chances that you’d expect him to put away. It seems like our problem atm is creating chances and maybe a different tactic could help that, I don’t know and you don’t know but no one is going to know if going forward we keep Simms on the bench every week.

Also, Simms actually started the pre-season really well for us so it’s not like he’s unable to score goals or he’s out of shape etc, I think being on the bench every week isn’t going to help his confidence and our team sheet predictability just makes it easy for teams to set up against us. We could even go back to the box formation and use Wright as a lone striker, I’m up for anything that gives us new ideas going forward.

fatso

I love how you’ve already written off the idea of Simms and Wright starting together before we’ve even tried it. How do you know it won’t work? I’m not saying it will I’m just saying it’s worth trying things once and seeing if they do.

Like I said we’re only scoring goals against sides that have defensive problems, it’s not like Godden is some kind of superstar, yes he’s scored 3 championship goals so far but he’s just putting away chances that you’d expect him to put away. It seems like our problem atm is creating chances and maybe a different tactic could help that, I don’t know and you don’t know but no one is going to know if going forward we keep Simms on the bench every week.

Also, Simms actually started the pre-season really well for us so it’s not like he’s unable to score goals or he’s out of shape etc, I think being on the bench every week isn’t going to help his confidence and our team sheet predictability just makes it easy for teams to set up against us. We could even go back to the box formation and use Wright as a lone striker, I’m up for anything that gives us new ideas going forward.
How can I wright it off, we only have 3 strikers, therefore it's inevitably going to happen, and as Godden is 33, he isn't going to be in the picture for much longer.
And Simms has a 4 year contract!

As for chances, we created 2 excellent chances against Leicester, Wright had his chance well saved, and Simms was put through on goal and his shot went out for a throw.
Even last Saturday, we had a number of chances that we didn't take, Palmer had 2 piss poor shots and Eccles 1.

Also MR sees Wright and Simms in training every day, and clearly isn't ready to trust them just yet.

Personally I'd try 1 upfront when O'hare is fit enough to return, rather than try Simms and Wright together. (Unless Simms shows something he hasn't shown up to now)

Saying we should try it to see if it works is like saying me and you upfront could be better than Wright and Simms ......

.......oh hang on ......????

Last edited:

Skybluedownunder

I'd of possibly thought of loaning him. Let's face it, he's way off . Don't see anything but bench for him this season. He's not as good as Vik was when we signed him, and he was a lump.
Robins has a lot of work to do here and I'm sure he'll turn him into something

Fuck me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueSkiesForever

How can I wright it off, we only have 3 strikers, therefore it's inevitably going to happen, and as Godden is 33, he isn't going to be in the picture for much longer.
And Simms has a 4 year contract!

As for chances, we created 2 excellent chances against Leicester, Wright had his chance well saved, and Simms was put through on goal and his shot went out for a throw.
Even last Saturday, we had a number of chances that we didn't take, Palmer had 2 piss poor shots and Eccles 1.

Also MR sees Wright and Simms in training every day, and clearly isn't ready to trust them just yet.

Personally I'd try 1 upfront when O'hare is fit enough to return, rather than try Simms and Wright together. (Unless Simms shows something he hasn't shown up to now)

Saying we should try it to see if it works is like saying me and you upfront could be better than Wright and Simms ......

.......oh hang on ......????

I agree with you on trying Wright up front as a lone striker, as you said when O’Hare is back I think him and Palmer or him and Saka working together as two CAMs could be the better formation as I don’t feel we need that extra striker atm.

As for Simms, obviously Robins knows him best and so any discussion on formations/players is pretty pointless but we all like to have a debate anyway hence why this forum is here. Though I think there’s a massive difference between sarcastically saying me and you should play up top instead of Simms and Wright in terms of trying something new. Simms is a good quality striker and realistically is of a quality similar to Godden, he just hasn’t had his head in the game yet. My whole point with all this (and obviously we completely disagree but that’s fine) is that I think we should try something different for one week and see how it goes. I don’t think changing one player is drastically going to change how many goals we score, Godden is scoring about 1 in 2 games atm so it’s not like we take him away and we’re left with a 10 goal deficit, I think the risk is small enough that it’s worth trying something different. I suppose my thoughts are we’ll be hard pressed to get top 6 with the way it’s going atm and it’s worth changing it for one week to see if it improves the team, that’s all.

Last edited:

BlueSkiesForever

What more are you looking for exactly?
It’s obviously great he’s scoring those chances but what about chances that may have been created if we had a different player there with different skill sets, different abilities, maybe something that Godden couldn’t have done to get him into a particular position to score.
It’s thinking about what you could be missing out on rather than what we’re seeing currently. There’s clearly a flip side to that, what if you take Godden out and Simms doesn’t create those chances or doesn’t score those goals, but in my eyes it’s worth it for one game to see what the possibilities are. It’s a long season, one game gaining information could be much more valuable in the long run than sticking with what you know. Just depends what sort of personality you have I suppose.

lewys33

Typing GIF by ehcat

croatskyblue

It’s obviously great he’s scoring those chances but what about chances that may have been created if we had a different player there with different skill sets, different abilities, maybe something that Godden couldn’t have done to get him into a particular position to score.
It’s thinking about what you could be missing out on rather than what we’re seeing currently. There’s clearly a flip side to that, what if you take Godden out and Simms doesn’t create those chances or doesn’t score those goals, but in my eyes it’s worth it for one game to see what the possibilities are. It’s a long season, one game gaining information could be much more valuable in the long run than sticking with what you know. Just depends what sort of personality you have I suppose.

these changes are going to be forced on us anyway with injuries and so on, so why mess around now in the name of “gaining information?”

Finham

It’s going to take a bit of time before Simms hits the ground running, once he scores his first goal for the club I think he will score regularly.

It also took Mark McNulty a bit of time to settle in before he started banging in the goals, so I don’t think we should be worried just yet.
Just to be that annoying git by pointing this out, but "hits the ground running" literally means instant-you can't do it gradually, you either do it or you don't!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Just to be that annoying git by pointing this out, but "hits the ground running" literally means instant-you can't do it gradually, you either do it or you don't!
I noticed that but somehow managed to hold my tongue, though hoping someone else would point it out.

Brighton Sky Blue

He just means that Simms is parachuting down but his trainers are on and he just has another few hundred feet before he lands.

Users who are viewing this thread