England cricket (1 Viewer)

CCFC88

He's failed.

He hasnt failed, the tournament was a great success for England, we were within 6 balls of winning a competition that we went into not expected to get out of the group.

I dont think Root will be the new captain, he will be the new test captain after cook, but as for t20 I think it is more likely to be Buttler. Roots T20 experience is fairly limited, yes hes a great batter but has only ever played for Yorks and England in T20, Jos has played in the Big Bash and will be playing the IPL this year, he is the standout candidate for when Morgan moves on.

SkyBlueScottie

It was a poor decision to leave him to the end. Willey had to be the death bowler.

We should have slipped another over or two by root or Ali when the West Indies were rebuilding. Stokes and Plunkett are easy meat at the death. Stokes repeatedly bowled attempted Yorkers which ended up as full pitch deliveries all at the same pace.

Morgan as a batsmen looks out his depth at world level and he's no captain of note. Time to go.

He's a very good captain, according to the players and pundits, yes he has struggled with the bat recently, I personally would move him to 6 promoting Buttler and Stokes one place.

As for Stokes, he has been our death bowler for the tournament, and done it very well, so probably deserved the chance, however considering how well Willey bowled he was a decent option. Ref Root, I think the fact that Samuels was in meant he was taken out of the attack as he was more likely to play in a sensible manner. It could have been worth bringing him on later in the innings though.

All in all a great tournament, very closely fought between all teams, hopefully England continue this rate of improvement with the white ball.

SkyBlueScottie

I dont think Root will be the new captain, he will be the new test captain after cook, but as for t20 I think it is more likely to be Buttler. Roots T20 experience is fairly limited, yes hes a great batter but has only ever played for Yorks and England in T20, Jos has played in the Big Bash and will be playing the IPL this year, he is the standout candidate for when Morgan moves on.

Agree with you ref Buttler, he has deputised for Morgan in the past, and again has a decent brain.

pipkin73

Was the referal not allowed as it was held in India. When Ali was given out i could not see any contact and neither could anyone in the Pub i was in (i loved it, i had to talk the owner in to putting it on as it was the same time as Man Utd and F1.

He eventually agreed and had 3/4 of the bar watching the cricket. Drinks were all free (for me plus food) as a thank you. At least one English man won something :)

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Awful news today with regards to James Taylor, thank god it was picked up now though!

Such a talent should have been in the England squad sooner his record in all forms especially domestic one day is stunning!

Big loss to English cricket & hopefully the operation he's due will allow him to live a normal life & prevent what ever could have happened from happening!

NorthernWisdom

Shocking isn't it. DOn't usually post on such things, but he's always been someone I've been willing to break through over the years.

Guess in some ways, at least it happened after he'd broken through to the main England team, so at least he had reached the pinnacle.

superskyblue

Probably my favourite cricketer. Always struck me as the most determined of characters. Gutted he never made a test match hundred - I'm certain he would have scored 20+ given a full career as he was an excellent player of spin and never got the chance to go on a test tour to the sub-continent.

From what people have said he sounds like the type of character who will go on to have a successful second career. Good luck to him.

Covstu

really bad news, proper gutted for him. At least he has made the right decision and not risked his health further. Wish him all the best in what he does and I am sure he still has something more to offer cricket.

chiefdave

Terrible news in one way but also good that they've found it the way they have rather than something serious happening. Hopefully he can get the treatment he needs and it won't have a long term impact on his life.

chiefdave

Not the most inspiring start to the summer. 52-3 against Sri Lanka, Cook out for 16, Compton and Root both getting ducks.

Covstu

Yep Cook missed his chance to 10000 runs today! In Leeds today and forgot it was up here as I would have got a ticket and sacked off work!!!

chiefdave

Not a fan of this points thing they're bringing in or the plan for day / night tests.

The reason they aren't selling out tests is they've flooded the market. Late 80s / early 90s when I was a member at Warks you'd have 5 tests in the summer, 5 in the winter. Its non stop now.

Covstu

The game has changed and the pressure of the IPL, Big bash etc have put a different spin on how cricket is ran. Each test has to have a Test, ODI and 20/20 which just seems overkill to me,

Users who are viewing this thread