England v Sweden Matchday thread (1 Viewer)

SkyBlue_Bear83

Going to need to be 10x better in the next game, Rooney coming back will be a big plus. Defence needs to be tighter no idea what the defence were doing for the second goal, midfield needs to be much better. When the defence have the ball one of the midfielders need to drop to pick up the ball, in the second half we didn't do this and the defence were just knocking it long every time.
Big thanks to Theo he won the game for us tonight.

wingy

The young ones are the positive and they play in a positive manner the old guard got no dare about them ,Ashley young ,whats wrong with the guy we know he can do it,cole was shaky ,Johnson was sound but did play three of them onside for the goal although he nearly kept it out,we've got one of the best goalies in the world but i thought he was at fualt on the first goal .it was just like watching City at times the way we let it slip ,thank god for Walcott d i'm sure welbeck meant it.Breathe:)

SkyBlue_Bear83

The young ones are the positive and they play in a positive manner the old guard got no dare about them ,Ashley young ,whats wrong with the guy we know he can do it,cole was shaky ,Johnson was sound but did play three of them onside for the goal although he nearly kept it out,we've got one of the best goalies in the world but i thought he was at fualt on the first goal .it was just like watching City at times the way we let it slip ,thank god for Walcott d i'm sure welbeck meant it.Breathe:)
Hart saved the first goal initially, it was really an OG by Johnson. The ball was going wide for a corner/throw and it deflected back towards goal off Johnson

Marty

Would you start with Milner again, I feel Milner is very average as a wide player. He is better in a more central position.

I would, Milner is average at that level, but you never know what Walcott will turn up. Milner is more reliable and better defensively where as I see Walcott as more of an impact player.

Marty

Hart saved the first goal initially, it was really an OG by Johnson. The ball was going wide for a corner/throw and it deflected back towards goal off Johnson

If he used his left foot we wouldn't even be discussing this.

wingy

My bad must have been the second with the header.

SkyBlue_Bear83

How this leaves the group, we need to win against Ukraine as if we want to progress to the latter stages as we need to top the group.

I understand if level on points it goes to H2H as we drew vs France I would assume it goes to GD next?

Macca

Hmm it's going how I expected. We re very much "second tier" in international football. Was important to still be in the tournament when Rooney comes back

Grendel

How this leaves the group, we need to win against Ukraine as if we want to progress to the latter stages as we need to top the group.

I understand if level on points it goes to H2H as we drew vs France I would assume it goes to GD next?

No we need to draw

Macca

We seem more at risk in games when we go on the offensive as we insist on panicking if we have had the ball for more than 20 seconds without an end product

Grendel

To qualify from the group, I was talking about topping the group as I stated in the post.

We still could top the group if France lose. We are up against Spain or Italy next anyway. By latter stages I assume you meant group qualification.

stupot07

I would, Milner is average at that level, but you never know what Walcott will turn up. Milner is more reliable and better defensively where as I see Walcott as more of an impact player.

I'd rather start with Walcott, Milner is just not good enough for international football. We're already playing gerrard and Parker in more disciplined defensive roles, we shouldn't need another defensive player on the wing. If Roy doesn't trust/rate Johnson defensively he shouldn't play him. Walcott's pace will always cause problems. The other issue is that young (with the exception of 1 pass) is have a poor tournament, and we can't afford to have two poor wide men.

Milner made 28 starts and 22 sub appearances scoring 3 goals and 6 assist

Walcott made 48 starts and 5 subs scored 11 and made 11 assists.

SkyBlue_Bear83

We still could top the group if France lose. We are up against Spain or Italy next anyway. By latter stages I assume you meant group qualification.
No I meant if we want to have the slimmest hope of making it as far as the semi finals we would need to top the group.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I'd rather start with Walcott, Milner is just not good enough for international football. We're already playing gerrard and Parker in more disciplined defensive roles, we shouldn't need another defensive player on the wing. If Roy doesn't trust/rate Johnson defensively he shouldn't play him. Walcott's pace will always cause problems. The other issue is that young (with the exception of 1 pass) is have a poor tournament, and we can't afford to have two poor wide men.

Milner made 28 starts and 22 sub appearances scoring 3 goals and 6 assist

Walcott made 48 starts and 5 subs scored 11 and made 11 assists.
I would like to see Ox or Walcott start in place of Milner and then have Milner subbed on for Parker/Gerrard in the centre when they tire.

CCFCSteve

I would like to see Ox or Walcott start in place of Milner and then have Milner subbed on for Parker/Gerrard in the centre when they tire.

Good shout. Milner can run all day so can do some of the chasing and harrying, hes not looked the most creative of wide men in the tournament !!!!

Id even be tempted to switch milner and gerrard during the match, give gerrard a free role coming in from the right, he also delivers a better ball

Otis

Both Milner and Young look short of what is required to be an international footballer. Young has been particularly shocking these past two games. Who do you replace him with though, Downing? :eek:

SkyBlue_Bear83

Both Milner and Young look short of what is required to be an international footballer. Young has been particularly shocking these past two games. Who do you replace him with though, Downing? :eek:
Ox is the only viable replacement on the left side, played there vs France and most of his appearances for Arsenal were on the left side.

wingy

Yep they both did really well .I was'nt expecting that from Carrol,reckon thats as good as i've seen him play since he left Newcastle.442 or 4411 it'll be Welbeck i think, mostly as they play together at league level .

Otis

I think Rooney should walk straight back into the team.

He's the best player we've got.

First name on the team sheet for me.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Yep Rooney and Welbeck for me, they link really well at club level. I am not convinced with Parker and Gerrard as a midfield partnership and we have no cover in there hardly, missing Wilshere.

Otis

You hear the opposition players and managers in their interviews. They have all been saying the one England player they fear and the one player they rate is Wayne Rooney. He would walk into any England team at the moment.

Paxman II

I think Rooney while a fine player if included will change the format of the whole way we have played. I don't think he carrys the threat everyone says he does. For me I would bring him on from the bench.

Otis

Doesn't matter if he carries a threat or not. He's about the only one we have who can actually pass the ball to a team mate. If you look at his pass completion rate it is excellent. We need better ball retention and Wayne Rooney gives you that.

He also has 28 goals in 74 appearances. That's a goal every 2.6 games. We have no-one better.

stupot07

Has to be Rooney and Wellbeck for me, I would also keep Young for one last chance and bring Walcott in for Milner. The 3 united lads know each others game, and Wellbeck's ability to run in behind will stretch the back to create the space for Rooney.

stupot07

I must say that Carrolls goal was surperb however he did very little apart from that and giving away fouls.

Marty

I'd stick with the same team, thought the team through large parts were alright, I think it would send a good message to the squad if Rooney is sat on the bench.

Marty

I agree although I wouldn't stick with Milner. Just hasn't cut it over the last 2 games IMO.

I agree that Milner hasn't done it so far, hes an average player at that level but hes better defensively then Walcott and can help Glen Johnson, Walcott was on the pitch for about 5 minutes and there winger skinned both him and Johnson, hadn't seen that once while Milner was in front on Johnson, I see Walcott as nothing more then an impact player at that level, I'd of had Adam Johnson in that position myself.

Users who are viewing this thread