England WC 2022 (1 Viewer)

TomRad85

So Kenilworth, Leamington and Nuneaton have England players but Coventry doesn't?
Obviously you're talking about Flowers and Foster, I'm struggling with the Nuneaton one? Was thinking Whittingham or Christie but both only capped by under 21s.
Not England but Dean Kiely who represented Rep of Ireland of course makes up a little Warwickshire triangle of goalies. I believe he was from Warwick.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Obviously you're talking about Flowers and Foster, I'm struggling with the Nuneaton one? Was thinking Whittingham or Christie but both only capped by under 21s.
Not England but Dean Kiely who represented Rep of Ireland of course makes up a little Warwickshire triangle of goalies. I believe he was from Warwick.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Nigel Winterburn

Winny the Bish

No Toney or Abraham. Looks like the strikers will be Kane, Wilson and Rashford.

Imagine not taking the Prem’s best penalty taker to the World Cup.

SBT

No Toney or Abraham. Looks like the strikers will be Kane, Wilson and Rashford.

Imagine not taking the Prem’s best penalty taker to the World Cup.

Imagine bringing players on just so they can take penalties in a knockout ga......actually, don't do that.

GIMOC

If the rumours are true that Mings is in and Maddison plus wilson are not then it’s a disgrace. Maddison should be ahead of Mount and Wilson should be ahead of Tammy

Otis

If the rumours are true that Mings is in and Maddison plus wilson are not then it’s a disgrace. Maddison should be ahead of Mount and Wilson should be ahead of Tammy
Ming's? Surely not. Surely Ben White is better isn't he?

Bugsy

Maddison picked for England World Cup squad
Sky Sports News understands James Maddison has been selected in the England squad.

great news, should be proud that 2 Cov academy products are in there

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

The Germany squad has some funny selections. Sule who looks about 20 stone overweight, and Goetze who was just playing in the Dutch league.

Never write them off, but it looks a bit underwhelming to me.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Alexander Arnold gets selected, surely through injuries to others.

Glad Maddison is in but I am very sceptical if he will actually play at all!

Otis

I do get why he has included Sterling, but he's bang out of form right now.

I would have taken Toney.

Paul Anthony

Honestly would have been a travesty not to at least have Maddison as an option, the form he's been in. Wilson too can offer something different to Kane. Now just hope they're not just making up the numbers.

SBT

Hadn't thought about the WC too much, but this announcement somehow makes it real for me, my excitement is now up to absolutely lukewarm levels

Bugsy

Maybe he will play some part,

Why has Maddison been included?
England manager Gareth Southgate:
"He is playing really well. He is a good player, we've always said he's a good player. He's earned the right.
"We think he can give us something slightly differen to the attacking players that we've got.
"I think at various stages there has been conversations and debates about James.
"Ahead of the Euros, I don't think he was in contention, he had a bit of a problem with his hip. In September, his inclusion was a fair debate.
"He's playing as good as any of the attacking players in this country. He is a little bit different to the others. I think we could need that.
"I did speak to James because there was a lot of speculation that he wouldn't be with us. We'd decided a couple of weeks ago that he would, but we weren't going to tell him then."

edit: to add,

he's playing exceptionally well. We like that he finds those pockets of space.
"He plays forward - not enough players play forward in this day and age and his set-play delivery is outstanding.
"He can also score goals from distance which against low-block defences is another attribute that is different to some of our players.
"He was delighted [when we spoke on the phone]. I had some very different calls that were, emotionally, at the other end of the spectrum. So it was nice to give myself an enjoyable end to that.

Last edited:

SBT

Think it's pretty clear that Southgate sees a lot of value in continuity between squads/playing styles during tournaments. Which I know isn't very exciting to a generation of football fans used to playing fantasy football every week. Or when you've got a pretty underwhelming/unbalanced crop of players in dubious form. But then semi-finals and finals are pretty fun, so...

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It's not a bad squad overall, though no surprise he's picked his favourites in Phillips, Mount and Maguire. Arguably Sterling too.

Wasn't expecting Maddison to make it, despite his form, so was really pleased to see he had. To then see Wilson in it too was great. 2 Cov lads in one England World Cup squad.

stupot07

e2d178824aadbaabca540c236cba2ec8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread