Evolving team (1 Viewer)

steve82

Question: could Hyam play in front of the back four, he’s mobile, got a bit of pace, can pass and a big unit sometimes an answer is under you nose

Good thinking but with only Willis, Davies and Hyam your only 3 senior names in the squad I’d not have all 3 in the side at once.

Other better options are available

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

skybluegod

I think Bayliss is a victim of playing a lot of football over the last 10/11 months with no real summer break either. I think a break will rejuvenate him as a player who will naturally come back fresher and sharper.

I think that’s the current issue is getting a player between Kelly, Ogogo and Andreu who can play with or instead of Doyle the only fully fit central midfielder who’s experienced in the ranks, for that reason alone Doyle’s a starter. Putting Andreu in the side also addresses and enhances our set piece credentials while also retains a forward thinking creative mind and could fix a stuttering midfield now.

Boateng looking forward fits the current model of getting young players in with a bright future who will be a real asset to the club, plus he’s a player who can impact the side immediately.

You rightly point out tho the populated area of the squad that’s already got names next to wages in the senior side, but Bayliss is versatile to a degree so can play the right midfield role as Thomas loan will likely end and JJ returns to the 18 and features weekly going forward. It’s debatable if you get the best out of him there but we’re not getting that anyway this season as the better quality of opposition snuff him out with ease this year. He is the future tho and one to develop further for sure and will come back in better for a break.

Your right Andreu is the most disposable out the lot as Kelly is on a longer term deal and Ogogo is months into a deal also.

However the issue is there now and maybe still come January, football is a results business and MR could be gambling on his own future further down the line if he wasn’t to address issues.

Obviously the pots not huge if any by any means to go into the marker, hence the hypothetical question.

I agree, hes still a kid, and likely needs a break.

Yep agree and as I alluded to in another post somewhere, Doyle is the only player to really fit the role that Robins wants from a holding midfielder. Ogogo is a different type of player, so it just seems strange to me that in actual fact we have 4 players fighting over one CM position? Yes Andreu for set pieces would be a bonus for sure.

It is an issue, but as you say not sure how deep the pot is... we have spent close to 1 million already on players, if we could get a deal I think you are right we do it. But key thing is that it has to be the right player.

It could be and I hope that it is, that we find a winning solution before then.

skybluegod

Good thinking but with only Willis, Davies and Hyam your only 3 senior names in the squad I’d not have all 3 in the side at once.

Other better options are available

To be fair I have no problem with Thompson as 4th CB, think he has a huge future for us. But agree not sure Hyam is the answer either.

However Robins was considering Camwell converting was he not?

covcity4life

Thomas and Bayliss wasn't it?

Arguably pretty similar to having Shipley there? Both Cm's playing on the wings at least. Admittedly Bayliss has a bit more going forward.
bayliss alot more attacking than shipley

i would stick with last weeks eam vs southend. give it a good even f away vs good team,see how we do

steve82

I agree, hes still a kid, and likely needs a break.

Yep agree and as I alluded to in another post somewhere, Doyle is the only player to really fit the role that Robins wants from a holding midfielder. Ogogo is a different type of player, so it just seems strange to me that in actual fact we have 4 players fighting over one CM position? Yes Andreu for set pieces would be a bonus for sure.

It is an issue, but as you say not sure how deep the pot is... we have spent close to 1 million already on players, if we could get a deal I think you are right we do it. But key thing is that it has to be the right player.

It could be and I hope that it is, that we find a winning solution before then.

Let’s hope so.... Initially I’d go with Andreu, it’s a position he’s played regular before in Scotland so can play in positions other that the “10” role we associate him to be considered for.

To be fair I have no problem with Thompson as 4th CB, think he has a huge future for us. But agree not sure Hyam is the answer either.

However Robins was considering Camwell converting was he not?

Thompson has shown a good level of maturity and looks a athlete in the mound of Willis but is very young to rely upon for a run of games potentially, tho Hyam was in the same position last year and grew stronger week by week. It’s unpredictable how that can turn out.

Camwell was more for the longer term thinking I believe not for selection in the coming weeks/months unless unthinkable things happen

skybluegod

bayliss alot more attacking than shipley

i would stick with last weeks eam vs southend. give it a good even f away vs good team,see how we do

Is he? I think the perception is because he goes on those amazing runs that he is more attacking? But Always see Shipley taking more shots and getting in and around the box a bit more? But that is just me...

I agree stick with the winning team.

skybluegod

Let’s hope so.... Initially I’d go with Andreu, it’s a position he’s played regular before in Scotland so can play in positions other that the “10” role we associate him to be considered for.

Thompson has shown a good level of maturity and looks a athlete in the mound of Willis but is very young to rely upon for a run of games potentially, tho Hyam was in the same position last year and grew stronger week by week. It’s unpredictable how that can turn out.

Camwell was more for the longer term thinking I believe not for selection in the coming weeks/months unless unthinkable things happen

Yep agree, hes not just a number 10, just depends if Doyle can hold the midfield well enough on his own i guess.

The problem with the CB position is that it's not really a role you can sub someone on for 10 mins here and there and they will develop. Thompson had a great loan out at Barrow last season, and I see a good future for him.

Yes yes that is true, however how long do you give him, needs to decide and stick with a position young otherwise he will likely never live up to his potential.

covcity4life

Is he? I think the perception is because he goes on those amazing runs that he is more attacking? But Always see Shipley taking more shots and getting in and around the box a bit more? But that is just me...

I agree stick with the winning team.
Shipley of last year maybe. This year he only passes backwards and can't get past a marker.

This time out will do him good imo. He's young and break a good thing.

fernandopartridge

And? Give me league 1 promotion over win percentage. That's what we all want from robin's isn't it? To get us back to championship where Blackburn are now

P.s apostrophe back

Yes, and over a whole season Mowbray got us nowhere near L1 promotion. Robins hasn't yet had a whole season in L1 with us.

Captain Dart

steve82

I see Peter whittingham is looking for a club, could he do a job??

Been without a club since the end of August so will take a few weeks to get up to speed and at 34 is he really any better than what we have on the books already.

Must be a reason why he’s not got a deal over the last 2 months, better to steer clear.

Sky Blue Harry H

Been without a club since the end of August so will take a few weeks to get up to speed and at 34 is he really any better than what we have on the books already.

Must be a reason why he’s not got a deal over the last 2 months, better to steer clear.

Sounds like a Joey Barton/Fleetwood type!

Magwitch

I see two of our current squad who could convert to centre mid as I said earlier Dominic Hyam and Bakayoko some might snigger but I think running at defences from centre midfield could cause opposition defences major problems

Ooh Ah

Two weeks later, the evolution of attacking intent from midfield is clear, following the big shift of attacking intent from full-back.
  • Hiwula played last five - Exciting the way he runs at people, scored 4 in those 5, making an attacking front four with Thomas on the right. Bluntly expected a more conservative line-up. What I also love is he works hard, at Bradford he went beyond Brown to defend so often.
  • Bayliss and Chaplin closing the gap - if you were at Bristol Rovers, watching the massive gap between the midfield and the attack we saw for so many games last year, it was worrying. This month has been impressive. Bayliss has that rare quality of running beyond and is developing his passing game; Donny couldn't cope with him first half today. But add Chaplins work-rate dropping deep when needed, we look more fluid. Chaplin's link play with the pass for goals 3 and 4 against Bradford was wonderful, surprised how little recognition he got.
Exciting that three of the four in midfield this month should keep improving, whilst Bakayoko, Jones and Shipley add depth and pressure to maintain performance. Think this midfield shift is big part of winning 5 in a row, alongside strong central defence and keeper.

Magwitch

Team is evolving and imo will get better, last season we relied heavily on the McNulty goals this season goals are spread about, could score more yes but we are evolving and have good players on the sidelines too, bound to be hiccups but I’m certain we’ll handle them.

Sky Blue Harry H

I see two of our current squad who could convert to centre mid as I said earlier Dominic Hyam and Bakayoko some might snigger but I think running at defences from centre midfield could cause opposition defences major problems

I know we wouldn't move Thomas. but with his battling qualities, work rate and ability to break at pace, he might make a fantastic central midfielder. He's always getting a foot in and is really quick - he'd be a nightmare to play against in that centre mid - like a young naïve Doyle, but who could run with the ball!

steve cooper

Team is evolving and imo will get better, last season we relied heavily on the McNulty goals this season goals are spread about, could score more yes but we are evolving and have good players on the sidelines too, bound to be hiccups but I’m certain we’ll handle them.
Scored 11 goals in the last 5 league games with 7 different players getting the goals

Users who are viewing this thread