Fábio Tavares (1 Viewer)

Tommo1993

Exactly what Ipswich thought. Exactly what we thought when we lost to Sutton. We were a better side then as well. 18 months after winning the competition and flying in the league.

I hear it loud and clear that the Ipswich result was a fluke. I totally agreed. But the goals they scored were not. Their GK had a great game. If we put out a much weakened side we're asking for trouble. Maidstone 1 game from the QF? They will give 100%. Look at how many games we've been in total command in recent years yet lost.

That first sentence alone. To McKenna, the idea of Maidstone even getting a sniff was completely inconceivable, yet he was still stupid enough to put his backline on halfway. I say again: high line + two hopeful punts = two goals.

No chance we’re slipping on this one. Subject to starting lineup, I’ll put money on us sticking at least 5 past them. Their luck is up.

SBT

Exactly what Ipswich thought. Exactly what we thought when we lost to Sutton. We were a better side then as well. 18 months after winning the competition and flying in the league.

I hear it loud and clear that the Ipswich result was a fluke. I totally agreed. But the goals they scored were not. Their GK had a great game. If we put out a much weakened side we're asking for trouble. Maidstone 1 game from the QF? They will give 100%. Look at how many games we've been in total command in recent years yet lost.
If we approach the game the exact same way Ipswich did then we will almost certainly win. People are getting freaked out by a true fluke result. We’ve been handed a golden opportunity to both progress into the quarterfinals AND rest key players as we enter the end of a long and gruelling season. I don’t know why we’d willingly pass that up.

Reactions: PVA

Cheylesmore ITK

That first sentence alone. To McKenna, the idea of Maidstone even getting a sniff was completely inconceivable, yet he was still stupid enough to put his backline on halfway. I say again: high line + two hopeful punts = two goals.

No chance we’re slipping on this one. Subject to starting lineup, I’ll put money on us sticking at least 5 past them. Their luck is up.
at points his cb's were about 5 or 6 foot outside the maidstone area

Astute

No chance we’re slipping on this one.
No chance?

Remember our last game at Old Trafford? We won 0-2. The history books are full of upsets. Saying no chance is showing a lack of respect.

Astute

If we approach the game the exact same way Ipswich did then we will almost certainly win. People are getting freaked out by a true fluke result. We’ve been handed a golden opportunity to both progress into the quarterfinals AND rest key players as we enter the end of a long and gruelling season. I don’t know why we’d willingly pass that up.
Not freaked out but just being realistic.

Sick Boy

So your opinion on long term injuries is sack them ?
I agree perhaps he should have been knocking the door louder before his injury but he wasn’t and got his injury, I think he has a tough task ahead but let’s see the next few months.
It’s got nothing whatsoever to do with his injury. He’s 23 and never played regular first team football. Taking the injury into account, by the time they’re 21/22 most played have played first team football.

Reactions: AOM

SBT

Not freaked out but just being realistic.
Realistically our second choice XI with a handful of first teamers beats them handily. You could replay that Ipswich game 10 times and not get another Maidstone win, it was a total fluke.

AOM

It’s got nothing whatsoever to do with his injury. He’s 23 and never played regular first team football. Taking the injury into account, by the time they’re 21/22 most played have played first team football.

Already been covered in this thread, but think Tavares really needs to drop down a league and build his career and experience up, either via a loan from us or a transfer. Bit like what Jodi Jones had to do.

Seems a nice lad and maybe has the attributes to make a good player, but as you say, barely any consistent first team football to really speak of

slowpoke

Don’t think O’Hare had at Villa who were not premier league then.

shmmeee

Frankly it’s a great game if you’re a youth or fringe player. Get to look good against a team theoretically below your level on TV. Motivation for them shouldn’t be an issue, players have made careers off a decent FA Cup game. Anyone who might be after a contract in the summer should jump at the chance.

SBT

Even though they are some levels below, I'd be reluctant to play a teenagers against them. It's exactly not the type of opposition you'd want them playing against.
I wouldn’t play more than one or maybe two maximum. Rus has played at the same level as Maidstone more than a dozen times over the past couple of seasons - if he can give us 90 minutes and it means we get to play O’Hare or Sakamoto in both of our league games that week as a result then I’d do it.

TomRad85

Even though they are some levels below, I'd be reluctant to play a teenagers against them. It's exactly not the type of opposition you'd want them playing against.
Agreed, at that level you'll have a lot of players that have been on the books of pro clubs who will...
A. Possibly be capable of pulling off a performance above their level as a one off.
B. If they see a bunch of kids, go right through them.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Astute

You can't really compare that to us vs. Maidstone
Us beating Manchester United in a cup when we were not very good in the Championship? Their reserve players were worth more than our club.

We struggled to win there when we were top flight. Nobody thought we would win.

I'll say it yet again. We should win easily resting several players. But there's no guarantees. Take the goals out of our first team and we could struggle if they do score.

Cheylesmore ITK

Us beating Manchester United in a cup when we were not very good in the Championship? Their reserve players were worth more than our club.

I'll say it yet again. We should win easily resting several players. But there's no guarantees. Take the goals out of our first team and we could struggle if they do score.
We were 1 league below them.

It is in no way similar to us playing a team from the National League South.

PVA

The two teams above Maidstone in their league have Frank Nouble and Danny Cashman up front and scoring goals.

We're going to smash them. Arrogant, maybe. But I really think we will.

SBT

Agreed, at that level you'll have a lot of players that have been on the books of pro clubs who will...
A. Possibly be capable of pulling off a performance above their level as a one off.
B. If they see a bunch of kids, go right through them.

Counterpoint: it’s Maidstone United

NorthernWisdom

The two teams above Maidstone in their league have Frank Nouble and Danny Cashman up front and scoring goals.

We're going to smash them. Arrogant, maybe. But I really think we will.
We are. Now it's Robins' job not to think like that, and to make sure his players don't think like that, but I'm totally bemused about the worry about playing... Maidstone.

And yeah, if lightning did strike twice we'd look fools, but it's not going to!

slowpoke

I'll say it yet again. We should win easily resting several players. But there's no guarantees. Take the goals out of our first team and we I’ve just had acould struggle if they do score.
Bit of a lucky ground for mexjust had a reckon up and ive been to OT eight times and only see is lose once in 1967, last time I went we won 1-0 and United fans were screaming for Sir Alexs head.

Last edited:

TomRad85

Counterpoint: it’s Maidstone United
I agree, I don't seeing us doing anything other than winning 4-0 plus, but start to chuck in a load of kids... ehhh not for me. Tavares maybe, wouldn't touch the others until something more closely resembling a first time has polished them off.

Tommo1993

No chance?

Remember our last game at Old Trafford? We won 0-2. The history books are full of upsets. Saying no chance is showing a lack of respect.
Championship team beats heavily under strength Premier League team isn’t a humongous feat.

Thinking they’ll be any real threat is giving them too much respect.

Reactions: SBT

Cov kid 55

To me, in your sentence ‘subject to starting lineup’ says it all. We have a tough game on Friday night against Preston, a couple of knocks, a bit of fatigue, we rest players, go one down to a fluke, go down to ten men (again😁)bottle it…. It’s happened before. After saying all that, I think we’ll win well, but we need to take it seriously, get the job done in the first hour, then rotate.

PVA

I suppose some of the pessimism and trepidation at facing the mighty Maidstone on here can be explained by the fact that half of this board thinks we're going to be relegated every season!

NorthernWisdom

I agree, I don't seeing us doing anything other than winning 4-0 plus, but start to chuck in a load of kids... ehhh not for me. Tavares maybe, wouldn't touch the others until something more closely resembling a first time has polished them off.

Don't disagree with that. We've got enough rotation in us to field a strong enough side without kids though, and everyone keeps saying Sakamoto needs a rest, and when's he going to get that if not vs Maidstone?

shmmeee

Rus and Lusaka are 21, Andrews and Stretton fair enough, but if they’re old enough to be on our bench in the Championship, and their next step is likely a loan around Maidstone or similars level I don’t think it’s a massive ask.

Reactions: SBT

NorthernWisdom

Rus and Lusaka are 21, Andrews and Stretton fair enough, but if they’re old enough to be on our bench in the Championship, and their next step is likely a loan around Maidstone or similars level I don’t think it’s a massive ask.
All of them together might be taking he piss a bit though. You can hide one or two among experienced pros, stick a whole fleet of them there and they get a bit lost.

shmmeee

All of them together might be taking he piss a bit though. You can hide one or two among experienced pros, stick a whole fleet of them there and they get a bit lost.

Yeah 2 or 3 at most and in positions like full back and wide forward where they can’t do too much damage and have experience around them.

Lusala, Rus, Di Trolio, and Obikwu have all been on loan at around Maidstone’s level so it shouldn’t be a complete shock. Like I say maybe Andrews at 17 is a bit young but he’s suppose to be a talent.

Users who are viewing this thread