F1 2021 (6 Viewers)

NorthernWisdom

Not a hard fix like wrestling where everything is scripted but they flex the rule book to whatever seems most exciting.

just a really poor attempt at creating a spectacle to win over neutrals (like me) that has spectacularly backfired.
In a way, I suppose they got unlucky of when the crash happened, that crossing the line under the safety car would have been pretty anticlimactic, and not great for the neutral either, if following the rule book more appropriately.

Liquid Gold

In a way, I suppose they got unlucky of when the crash happened, that crossing the line under the safety car would have been pretty anticlimactic, and not great for the neutral either, if following the rule book more appropriately.
I am a neutral and I would have seen them crossing the line under the safety car and thought it a bit anti-climactic but understand why it happened and at least allowed the guy half a lap ahead to win.

This way round just seems like a sham and I am not going to subscribe after being given a taste for free.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Real winner is formula 1. What a season. Both deserved to win it. Next season should be even better! Bring on sainz vs lewis vs charles vs russell vs max!

It was until that farce of an ending. A lot of people have been left with a bit of a sour taste in the mouth because of it.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Real winner is formula 1. What a season. Both deserved to win it. Next season should be even better! Bring on sainz vs lewis vs charles vs russell vs max!
Is it really? Massive opportunity for formula 1 to gain some new fans and left those people confused and annoyed at rules which don't make sense and had contradictions left, right and centre. Massive OG for the sport imo

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

If their intention was to put in an exciting climax they could have starting racing without letting the five cars unlap themselves, as an alternative to the large gap Hamilton had eked out. They would get blue flags to let Max pass and on his better tyres you could well have ended up with a last couple of corners that were incredibly exciting.

When max was right beside him at the start of the lap it was never going to be a contest and it lasted a single corner. That was pretty anti-climactic as well and managed to annoy pretty much everyone.

NorthernWisdom

If their intention was to put in an exciting climax they could have starting racing without letting the five cars unlap themselves, as an alternative to the large gap Hamilton had eked out. They would get blue flags to let Max pass and on his better tyres you could well have ended up with a last couple of corners that were incredibly exciting.
He'd have never got past all of them and Hamilton, not physically possible.

Paul Anthony

I still can't get my head around it, nor the FIA's justification of it for that matter.

I don't remember exactly when the lapped cars may overtake rule came back in, but I can't recall a single situation in recent history where one part of the rule overrode another. To the best of my knowledge, the situation has always been that the first part of the rule allowed all lapped cars to overtake, give them the lap to get down the road, and only then is the "Safety car in this lap" message displayed. I can't recall a single incident where the application of those rules was at it was yesterday. Now, obviously we've not been in this situation before. But, to me at least, being in a one lap fight for the championship should not give any right to change the well established precedent in how rules are applied.

Second to this is that the race director is allowed to effectively override that procedure if he sees fit. Well, again, I can't recall a situation where that has ever happened before. Obviously the race director should have the ability to decide when/if a safety car should be deployed. But I cannot, for the life of me, see it's right for him to then decide, above written regulations that have always been applied a specific way, how that safety car should operate. It goes against all precedent.

Also, if it was done in the name of motor racing, why then was Sainz not allowed the same opportunity as Max? He's in P3 on merit, OK he was on worn tyres and would almost certainly not have passed Max or Lewis. But, why does that mean he isn't allowed the opportunity to try and fight for the race win? The fact he's not in title winning contention shouldn't really be relevant.

jordan210

Funny old sport and season. Whole host of odd events that have happened that have effected the title

Max's tyre went pop in Baku
Lewis getting some red flag luck at Imola
the whole farce that was the Spa

olderskyblue

Lewis was 12 seconds ahead before the safety car. Only max fans and Horner would have complained if Masi had followed the rule book and the race ended behind the safety car, as it should have done.

Masi, by his decision, determined the outcome of the race and the championship, breaking their own rules in the process.

Paul Anthony

So, this is a quote from Michael Masi in the aftermath of last year's Eifel Grand Prix...

"requirement in the sporting regulations to let ALL lapped cars past"

Last edited:

wingy

Doesn't matter about the blue flags, there's the gap at the start and the time to get past, would mean over one lap no chance of catching Hamilton.
Exactly so Verstappen has the hollowist victory in the race and ultimately the championship.
One of a series of races that determine a champion, not a special I off race with special rules.

An illegitimate champion and he'll know it in his heart.

jordan210

2022 is going to be a good year hopefully for F1, New regs. Hopefully we get a season like when Brawn won.

If I was a betting man id have a few ££ on Aston

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I want to know why Masi isn't playing for PSG any more. Why has he took in interest in F1? :unsure:

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Lewis was 12 seconds ahead before the safety car. Only max fans and Horner would have complained if Masi had followed the rule book and the race ended behind the safety car, as it should have done.

Masi, by his decision, determined the outcome of the race and the championship, breaking their own rules in the process.
It's almost like he looked at the situation at the point at which the safety car came out and thought about what he could do to allow a straight forward Verstappen victory.

olderskyblue

It's almost like he looked at the situation at the point at which the safety car came out and thought about what he could do to allow a straight forward Verstappen victory.
I think he just lost the plot with all the pressure Horner was putting on him. He’s lost it before with him and others. Asking the teams if they are ok with Max dropping back a place in the last race. Weird. He should resign after this fiasco

covcity4life

End of day if you can't protect a 12 sec lead so late on you don't deserve to win.

Think Lewis went wide on few corners and that cost him. That's racing for you.

Corrado

End of day if you can't protect a 12 sec lead so late on you don't deserve to win.

giphy.gif

Saddlebrains

Mercedes had 2 opportunites to pit Lewis.

They didn't. I they had none of his would have happened as Lewis would have been on the same tyre as Max with track position and a faster car

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

How are you supposed to protect a 12s lead under a safety car? When Lewis had to slow down for the SC he had a 12sec lead. When he was allowed to start racing again it was 0s. That'd be like me saying I could beat Usain Bolt in the 100m if he had a load of people in his lane shuffling forward.

You talk about having opportunity to pit Lewis, but if he had Max would've stayed out and taken the lead.

Now, you can say that then the positions would be reversed and he'd be in the position of being close behind on better tyres and would've won, but that is where the issue is. No-one is sure that had it been the other way round the race director would've made the same call. He might've not allowed the overlapped cars to overtake. He may have insisted that all of them have to overtake before restarting and thus the race finishes under SC and Max wins anyway.

It's not having a go at Max or Red Bull, who were given an opportunity and took it. It's that there's this big element of doubt about the consistency of the race directors decisions.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Which 12 second lead would that be ? Is it the one that seemed to have disappeared when the safety car was called in ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread