F1 2021 (2 Viewers)

xcraigx

So Mercedes and Red Bull representatives, along with a Mercedes Barrister, are currently chatting with the race director / stewards. It seems odd to have a Barrister to hand but in this sport, and with the often opaque rulings, I guess it shouldn't be too surprising when so much was going to be at stake today. I'm not sure why Red Bull are involved, the Mercedes beef is with Masi isn't it, Red Bull have done no wrong as far as I can see.

hill83

giphy.gif

LOL

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I'm no expert, but is there anything in the fact that Verstappen clearly overtook Hamilton under the safety car just before the safety car ended.
At the actual point at which the car went off, Lewis was in front , not Max.

Bugsy

I'm no expert, but is there anything in the fact that Verstappen clearly overtook Hamilton under the safety car just before the safety car ended.
At the actual point at which the car went off, Lewis was in front , not Max.

That's another one of Mercedes protests which a verdict will be announced on about half hours time.

Paul Anthony

At the actual point at which the car went off, Lewis was in front .

Honestly, I don't see it. I'm pretty sure the only time that's an issue is if you overtake and keep the position before crossing the start line to restart. Max was behind at that point. Technically you're meant to stay on the racing line behind the leading car, but I don't think I've ever seen that rule applied.

Si80

I get that Merc are pissed. But lawyers to try and overturn a win isn’t how Lewis would want to win the Championship.

Last few races Lewis has been on another planet in terms of performance and would’ve walked today too, but Max is a worthy winner of the Championship. I don’t like his driving style at times, but he’s won more races, had more poles and led the most laps across the season. In any other season you would say he deserves it without question.

xcraigx

A decision is expected tonight so I presume the FIA have come up with a way to save face.

Joint champions anyone?

How about the race being null and void and Max winning on countback?

Si80

A decision is expected tonight so I presume the FIA have come up with a way to save face.

Joint champions anyone?

How about the race being null and void and Max winning on countback?
I think the Beeb reporting that Horner coming out of the office with a smile on his face and winking to the reporters tells you all you need to know about how the protest has gone.

xcraigx

I think the Beeb reporting that Horner coming out of the office with a smile on his face and winking to the reporters tells you all you need to know about how the protest has gone.

That was an hour ago and it seems was in response to a complaint lodged over Max overtaking under the safety car which was never coming to anything.

The restart however will be Mercedes versus Masi which I doubt Red Bull will be asked their opinion of because it doesn't concern them. Well it does, but you know what I mean.

I'm quite sure the result will stand but I'm also quite sure Mercedes will try dragging this through the courts if they can.

Greggs

Hamilton crying into his Fondue while sat in his jacuzzi overlooking the Alps tonight. Shame.......

SkyBlue_Bear83

As a casual think it's a shambles that someone can be cruising to a win with only a few laps left and a crash basically means the 55 laps before didn't count, surely a fairer way to decide races where someone crashes late in those circumstances? I did see that a red flag could have been waved and it would have been 5 laps to go with both on new tyres which sounds like it would have been a better solution.

Although didn't really understand why mercedes didn't pit Hamilton again, surely they know something which is out of there control can happen to close the gap like the crash/safety car as it did and that it would leave Hamilton like a sitting duck for the last few laps on the worn out tyres?

jordan210

Mercs legal team who traveled to this race is Paul Harris QC. The guy who got Man City out of their Uefa ban.

The came prepared to question anything that dint go their way

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I get that Merc are pissed. But lawyers to try and overturn a win isn’t how Lewis would want to win the Championship.

Last few races Lewis has been on another planet in terms of performance and would’ve walked today too, but Max is a worthy winner of the Championship. I don’t like his driving style at times, but he’s won more races, had more poles and led the most laps across the season. In any other season you would say he deserves it without question.
Max would not have won today but had it given to him by the powers that be. That's it really. It's not rocket science. Or it it ?

Si80

Max would not have won today but had it given to him by the powers that be. That's it really. It's not rocket science. Or it it ?
I’m a massive Lewis fan, and the decision by the stewards / race director today was wrong on both the first lap incident and the safety car farce. I don’t begrudge Max winning the Championship this year. He’s been outstanding.

wingy

Congratulations to Max. Not the result I wanted but deserved overall.

As for F1 and the “rules” in general. That’s what you get when you are yank owned and it’s only about the spectacle. Shambles.

We’ll be having quarter distance breaks for adverts before we know it.
But not on the race .
One of a whole season and no different from those that went before.

Users who are viewing this thread