Favourite and least favourite cuisine (1 Viewer)

Otis

I do think if you ask the majority of people about eating horse their first thought won't be on ethics, it will be the shock and horror of 'horse!'

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Otis

Had a kangaroo steak burger, was nice!
There is a farmer's market in Cov sometimes that does stuff like zebra and kangaroo and ostrich and even crocodile I think and you should just see the reaction of people when they come across it. It is generally one of disgust and horror.

Grendel

There is a farmer's market in Cov sometimes that does stuff like zebra and kangaroo and ostrich and even crocodile I think and you should just see the reaction of people when they come across it. It is generally one of disgust and horror.
They sell some of those in the Rainbow pub believe it or not.

Grendel

And how would you know? ;)

I've been in the pub. Very odd market for that looking at the people in there - I think you cook it yourself - very strange.

Nick

Administrator

Yeah, I couldn't enjoy it knowing what it was. If I just thought it was a normal burger then it would have been nice!

Iceland do them as well - http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/kezie-2-kangaroo-burgers-220g/p/57591

Much higher in protein and less fat than the normal stuff

ccfctommy

I've love the ostrich burgers! First tried one at Godiva fest about 4 years ago...

NorthernWisdom

Don't even have to go to a farmer's market, Iceland do Kangaroo and Ostrich too!

Terry Gibson's perm

Had the ostrich it was alright nothing special but very expensive.

Grendel

That's not the point. Chickens are crammed into pens like sardines for the mass food market. Don't see many people on that case and refusing to eat anything but free range.

The point here is that most people will eat a chicken no problem, but if you mention rabbit they are horrified.

We are a strange breed. I get the pet thing to a degree, but it is still a bit strange how we think as humans.

Do you honestly think most people are against eating horse because of ethical issues?

On horses it's not strange as in the uk horses are not farmed for meat. They are essentially domesticated in the same way as dogs and cats. There are a lot of problems associated with horse welfare as it is but they aren't considered an animal bred to eat.

Yes there are lots of problems with animal warfare in general but horse trade is truly appalling. DEFRA are trying to stop UK export of horses for meat but it's easy to get round. They are exported for slaughter and most die before they arrive in Europe. Many are ex racehorses (no surprise there)

I'm a member of CWF as I believe it's a more realistic route to take regarding animal welfare but it is true that if society does not stop it's constant meat eating consumption the welfare of the planet will be threatened in the not too distant future.

Nick

Administrator
On horses it's not strange as in the uk horses are not farmed for meat. They are essentially domesticated in the same way as dogs and cats. There are a lot of problems associated with horse welfare as it is but they aren't considered an animal bred to eat.

Yes there are lots of problems with animal warfare in general but horse trade is truly appalling. DEFRA are trying to stop UK export of horses for meat but it's easy to get round. They are exported for slaughter and most die before they arrive in Europe. Many are ex racehorses (no surprise there)

I'm a member of CWF as I believe it's a more realistic route to take regarding animal welfare but it is true that if society does not stop it's constant meat eating consumption the welfare of the planet will be threatened in the not too distant future.
When I saw horse meat it was from South America, wife wouldn't allow it in the house!

skybluejelly

For me it's got to be seafood ... I love fresh crab with whole meal bread .. Or a freshly caught lobster.. Followed closely by pie and mash with liquor ... I will eat anything and try anything once .. Have eaten ants and locusts .loads of offal including brains and bollocks .. If you are going to kill an animal you may aswell eat all of it...

Although I can't stand tripe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry Gibson's perm

Fished for piranha in Venezuela on holiday but when they cooked it I didn't fancy eating it

Grendel

I'm in a pub now (no food for me) but the menu is horrendous.

Something called the trash can challenge;

Giant rack of ribs
Mixed grill burger
BBQ pulled pork nacho sundae
Crispy chicken strips
Corn on the Cob
Double bake beans
Triple chips

Or how about a challenge burger

2 12oz burgers
Southern fried chicken fillet
BBQ pork
Crispy bacon
Double onion rings
Giant fries

I mean it's revolting. Free appointment to have your bowels tested the next day I would think.

Sick Boy

I thought that horse was commonly eaten in the UK pre ww1?

Johnnythespider

I'm in a pub now (no food for me) but the menu is horrendous.

Something called the trash can challenge;

Giant rack of ribs
Mixed grill burger
BBQ pulled pork nacho sundae
Crispy chicken strips
Corn on the Cob
Double bake beans
Triple chips

Or how about a challenge burger

2 12oz burgers
Southern fried chicken fillet
BBQ pork
Crispy bacon
Double onion rings
Giant fries

I mean it's revolting. Free appointment to have your bowels tested the next day I would think.
Flaming Grill ?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Johnnythespider

For me it's got to be seafood ... I love fresh crab with whole meal bread .. Or a freshly caught lobster.. Followed closely by pie and mash with liquor ... I will eat anything and try anything once .. Have eaten ants and locusts .loads of offal including brains and bollocks .. If you are going to kill an animal you may aswell eat all of it...

Although I can't stand tripe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What no Jelly ?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

Me.

Large chicken shish kebab, spicy rice and all the salad, with a couple of bits of warm bread from Pasha on Far Gosford Street.

Immense and all for the princely sum of £5.70!! They even throw a bowl of soup in for free from time to time.

Highly recommended.
That's a brilliant place.

Favourite is Thai and any south east Asian really. Love middle eastern too and Turkish.

Least favourite is the third rate curry you get in 90% of curry houses. I love Indian food just find it easier and better to make myself.

Users who are viewing this thread