Feeling Sick & Downright Depressed (1 Viewer)

GaryJones

It’s Sunday - the day after the nightmare before and I’m feeling sick and downright depressed!
I was sure as we started extra-time that we had this in the bag.
I can’t quite handle talk of positivity right now and can only think that Gus & Vics journey with us is done and then thoughts of the last few play-off losers like Huddersfield & Barnsley keep coming to mind.

For me THIS now is where Mark Robins will prove his credentials as the best manager we have ever had - somehow he has to pick the club back up off the floor and get it to come again next season - he must be feeling as sick as the rest of us right now.

I’m hoping for a bright future but right now I’m stewing in a black cloud of utter glumness!

Signing off -
Depressed moody mother-fucker from Leamington

Sky Blue Harry H

It’s Sunday - the day after the nightmare before and I’m feeling sick and downright depressed!
I can’t quite handle talk of positivity right now and can only think that Gus & Vics journey with us is done and then thoughts of the last few play-off losers like Huddersfield & Barnsley keep coming to mind.

For me THIS now is where Mark Robins will prove his credentials as the best manager we have ever had - somehow he has to pick the club back up off the floor and get it to come again next season - he must be feeling as sick as the rest of us right now.

I’m hoping for a bright future but right now I’m stewing in a black cloud of utter glumness!

Signing off -
Cheer up Gary - I'm actually chilled. The Hamer injury was definitely the turning point.

P.S. How mayny clairvoyants do we have in our fanbase; if I had a pound for every City fan who I heard say, 'I knew Dabo was going to miss' (they would have said the same for anyone who had missed). Hate penalties!

GaryJones

Cheers - it’s such an awful way to lose a game that important.
You lose a league game and another comes along in a few days and the hurt doesn't linger but this………

Terry Gibson's perm

Cheers - it’s such an awful way to lose a game that important.
You lose a league game and another comes along in a few days and the hurt doesn't linger but this………

I don’t get the view we will learn from this most of the players won’t even be here.

Grendel

Cheer up Gary - I'm actually chilled. The Hamer injury was definitely the turning point.

P.S. How mayny clairvoyants do we have in our fanbase; if I had a pound for every City fan who I heard say, 'I knew Dabo was going to miss' (they would have said the same for anyone who had missed). Hate penalties!

It was pretty obvious - his body language was like someone walking up to death row

bigfatronssba

Signing off -

Agree with the sentiment apart from the phrase “pick us up off the floor”.
We’re in the best shape we’ve been for over 25 years.

The club is still going in the right direction. We’re continually improving, we just need to keep doing what we’re doing.

I know it hurts, but we were one kick away from the PL. When it comes to attracting new players, that is far better than finishing 7th

Adge

Well the train journey back was just about the last straw to finish off the day! People running about from platform to platform for 2 hours and nobody knew what was going on-finally got back at 1am after being in the station 8-30!
It was always going to be a massive summer whatever happened and we have no doubt seen the last of a few players-replacements will have big shoes to fill.
Like the rest-gutted it wasn’t our day but that was our chance and looking at the Championship next year we might be lucky to finish 10th. 🤔

Sky Blue Harry H

It was pretty obvious - his body language was like someone walking up to death row
I was convinced Vik would miss, people around me were saying 'nooo Kelly' as he walked up. On the coach, everybody suddenly became 'Captain Hindsight'. Be honest, in those situations, you half expect every penalty taker for your own team to miss.

Sky Blue Pete

I was convinced Vik would miss, people around me were saying 'nooo Kelly' as he walked up. On the coach, everybody suddenly became 'Captain Hindsight'. Be honest, in those situations, you half expect every penalty taker for your own team to miss.
The 10 penalties were exceptional
You have to hit the target
I’m more down this morning than I was at the time
We had more energy than them last 15 and all of extra time

Blind-Faith

We’re now allowed to feel down an depressed.

We’ve all got to go and congratulate Luton and Dabo for a fantastic day yesterday.

Let’s hope we can get Dabo a bumper new 3 year contract for his fantastic contribution yesterday and if we’re lucky we may even be able to sign some of the Luton rejects.

Come on people, let’s be joyous and celebrate today! 👍

Sky Blue Harry H

Like the rest-gutted it wasn’t our day but that was our chance and looking at the Championship next year we might be lucky to finish 10th. 🤔
If Dabo hadn't missed that penalty away at Plymouth, we would have (Captain Foresight :rolleyes: ;))

croatskyblue

Also not sure why people were saying we were one kick away, we weren’t. The pressure would just have been on the next taker

Major Tom

The Luton team knew exactly how this feels and that’s why they came out of the blocks faster. For us it looked liked we were just happy to be there until Robins got them in at half time.
if we get there again next season we’ll take that desire in with us I hope because it’s hurts bad.

robbiekeane

It’s a funny old game isn’t it.

I didn’t expect it to finish higher than mid table after the initial fiasco.
I then didn’t expect us to actually finish in the playoffs on the final day i thought wed just miss out
Then i didn’t expect us to get past Middlesbrough and i though you know what if we go out to them then we’ve still had a bloody good campaign.
Then we beat Middlesbrough and i thought oh my god we could do this we are going up, and i really expected us to beat Luton. Now that we lost and by such fine margins, it feels like a kick in the teeth.

It’s not so much i expected us to go up this season or as per above at pretty much any stage. It’s just that the opportunity missed is so significant, and im not sure we are ever going to get the opportunity again to be honest. It’s such a particular set of circumstances that got us there and the starts just all aligned and i just can’t see it happening again for a very long time is all…and the stakes were so high…our club would be unrecogniseable after a season of that kind of money

GaryJones

Oh well - I do have one lasting reminder of the really good part of the day when Hamer scored - a bruise on the bridge of my nose when I was grabbed & butted by demented son in celebration followed by a bruised back when falling into the row in front of me! Funnily enough I didn’t feel it at the time - now though it just feels like the brown icing on my shit cake!

Jamesimus

The Luton team knew exactly how this feels and that’s why they came out of the blocks faster. For us it looked liked we were just happy to be there until Robins got them in at half time.
if we get there again next season we’ll take that desire in with us I hope because it’s hurts bad.

I think I was happy to just "be there" in the first half. Then we came out and actually played and fought in the second half, got the equaliser and we were in the ascendancy - I think at that point I started to "believe" 😂

That's what crushed me.

Garlana86

I woke up this morning feeling.....meh. The day as a whole was good fun, really enjoyed the camaraderie with both Cov and Luton fans, genuinely don't have a bad thing to say about their club and the people I met from their side were humble and very respectful. Though the negatives are obviously the loss, gutting feeling and perhaps it was my bad planning but trying to get a drink around wembley was a nightmare, our group ended up getting a table in Frankie and Benny's to feed the kids and mostly importantly get back on the beers!

The train ride home was chaos, absolutely rammed, no working toilet in sight and people sleeping on the floor. One guy literally slept in the doorway which closed every minute or so on him for a solid 2 hours. Mostly good spirits though considering how uncomfortable everyone was, there are so real characters from Coventry and we were all crammed together like sardines but still finding a way to have a gold laugh in each others company.

Garlana86

Well the train journey back was just about the last straw to finish off the day! People running about from platform to platform for 2 hours and nobody knew what was going on-finally got back at 1am after being in the station 8-30!
It was always going to be a massive summer whatever happened and we have no doubt seen the last of a few players-replacements will have big shoes to fill.
It is a bit of a doom and gloom feeling with the teams coming down from the prem
and the ones who underperformed like Norwich and Watford etc likely bouncing back, but we still have an incredible manager and coaching setup, with stability going into the next season...the stability bit, having our own stadium and a owner that cares is huge for us considering how those basic requirements weren't in place start of this campaign.

Robinshio

Our penalties were much better than theirs until Dabo. Wilson got close with a couple. Their keeper was nowhere near our 5. Such tiny margins. That said they were the better team on the day , albeit without the hamer injury we may well have won

Terry Gibson's perm

Feel miserable after yesterday but hoping for a bit of cheer this afternoon watching the tears at Everton or Leeds or that other team that are going to be relegated

procdoc

It is a bit of a doom and gloom feeling with the teams coming down from the prem
and the ones who underperformed like Norwich and Watford etc likely bouncing back, but we still have an incredible manager and coaching setup, with stability going into the next season...the stability bit, having our own stadium and a owner that cares is huge for us considering how those basic requirements weren't in place start of this campaign.
Some of the teams coming down are complete basket cases and are just as likely to implode even more than go straight back up

ajsccfc

Signing off -
I'm focusing on Luton, lost in the semis of a playoff they weren't expected to reach and then won it the next year. If they can do it, no real reason we can't

Gint11

We have to be positive.
This season:

Playoff finalists
Made playoffs
23 clean sheets
Highest finish in years
Another top 6 finish after 50 odd years of not
Sisu gone
Wasps gone
CBS secured for 5 years
New owner making good moves
Robins and adi committed
It’s all about recruitment now. We get that right we’ll carry on improving.

Luton were the better team so congrats to them. We lick our wounds and go again but use yesterday as fuel and growth.

Lets get over it and come back next year on a fucking mission!

Dickie

Brentford lost the play off final to Fulham, then won it the next year against Swansea. Let’s see if we can build on it. Someone had to lose. Penalties are harsh, but could go either way.

Sbarcher

Don't forget, of the 3 other play off teams, we had 9 games in total (league and playoffs) and we were unbeaten in all 9 in normal time. That's quite an achievement.
It will an interesting close season, but I have faith our back room will find decent replacements for Vic, Gus and defensive loanees.

The CableGuy

I think Brentford had multiple play-off finals defeats before they got promoted, and they're now an established PL club. If at first you don't succeed, you try and try again. Better yet, avoid the play-offs and go automatic but the relegated PL teams (hello Leicester?) will have weaponed parachute payments which we and the rest of the league will struggle to match. And the promoted teams from League 1 will come up with momentum behind them.

Sky Sports News is my main TV channel but I'm gonna give it miss for a while, fair play to Luton but I have no wish to watch their fan celebrations and when I watch them on MoTD next season, part of me will think 'that was almost us'. If they'd won 3-0 in normal time (and it could have been that scoreline at half-time), then it wouldn't be so bad, but to lose like that? Yeah, that hurts.

Big summer ahead now, Vic and maybe Gus will leave along with loan players. Recruitment needs to be spot-on. But yesterday aside, this club is in the best position we've been in for many, many years. Available players now know what we can do on a limited budget, the size of the fanbase to push them on, what Robins can get out of new recruits, and he's here for 4 years along with Adi. New owner. New investment in the training ground. No pitch BS or doubts about where were playing home games next season. An ally among the landlords (Hoffman).

The medicine tastes like shit, but we'll start next season with stability and the knowledge we can punch above our weight.

Londonccfcfan

Nope.

It was the only penalty I couldnt bear to watch I just sat down with head in hands knowing he was going to miss.

I feel for him today though.

olderskyblue

I thought Josh was going to miss, didn’t look confident at all, but he did fine. Dabo, as grendel said, looked like a condemned man walking up.

SleepyGinger

Absolutely gutted, trying to keep my mind off it but it’s everywhere I look. We were so close! We go again next year.

ceetee

I felt for Josh. He looked as if he was fighting back tears. So pleased for him that he scored. OK, he should score, he's a professional footballer, but so is everyone who misses.

Users who are viewing this thread