Gary Deegan suspended from the club (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Exactly. Which is what I mean about he shouldn't have posted it online.

That was his mistake. A bad mistake and poor judgement.

Being a supporter or somebody and being thick and not thinking before posting are different.

Mumford, you clearly know what Deegan's opinion is on the IRA and terrorism.

I assume you know this because you have spoken to Deegan. What does he think about the IRA and about them killing innocent civilians?

All I know is he joked to a mate saying up the RA because his mate agreed to play for Northern Ireland. Then when someone explained to him that his comment was inappropriate. He explained it was a joke then removed it. So I don't know what his opinion is on them. I know he made a stupid joke

Going to be quite dissapointed in him, if you tell me he genuinely does support terrorism and the killing of civillians. Would prefer that he does not play for our club in that case.

Let us know what you know and how you know it please buddy, it may shine some light for those of us who have only got that bad taste joke to go on.

anyone who says 'up the RA' is a support of the IRA.

to me that disgraceful and disrespectful

Exactly. Which is what I mean about he shouldn't have posted it online.

That was his mistake. A bad mistake and poor judgement.

Being a supporter or somebody and being thick and not thinking before posting are different.

he cant be that thick tho? surely?

cue the irish jokes :facepalm:

smileycov

Facebook User
loads on here have justifed his comments.

No they have not, you have decided that what he put was nota joke to his mate, but an open declaration of support for terrorism. Ipersonally see it as banter in ill taste and miss guided, but banter all thesame . He apologised explained it was meant as banter and did not mean offence.Why you insist on going down the he supports murderer's route is beyond me!
The IRA caused a lot of misery and suffering, but forcingthat into what was a tweet amongst friends is ridiculous.
Do I think he is a terrorist - NO was it in bad taste andstupid - YES
Should he be fined and advised on future media use - YES Sacked - NO

dongonzalos

This is the key bit Mumford. Everybody on here says he should not have put that comment on Twitter. Everybody agrees with that. No one has said it was a good idea.

If Gary Deegan said I aupport the IRA I support violence against joe public most people on here would be asking for him to be sacked.

This difference is how do you deal with an ill thought out spur of the moment joke. I think educate the person and get them to apoligise and move on.

The problem is, it seems that if you have this view people then accuse you of supporting murder of innocent people.

The question is what does a two week suspension achieve, it punishes me and you

It is a strange solution, hence why I think it is SISU seeing if they have a change of wage reduction.

_brian_

An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman are on Twitter. The Scotsman tweets about playing for Northern Ireland. The Irishman tweets an alleged joke about the IRA. The Englishman gets all offended.

LOL!!! Just made that joke up now, but feel free to use it amongst friends and out of the public domain!!!

This is the key bit Mumford. Everybody on here says he should not have put that comment on Twitter. Everybody agrees with that. No one has said it was a good idea.

If Gary Deegan said I aupport the IRA I support violence against joe public most people on here would be asking for him to be sacked.

This difference is how do you deal with an ill thought out spur of the moment joke. I think educate the person and get them to apoligise and move on.

The problem is, it seems that if you have this view people then accuse you of supporting murder of innocent people.

The question is what does a two week suspension achieve, it punishes me and you

It is a strange solution, hence why I think it is SISU seeing if they have a change of wage reduction.

fair enough

Nonleagueherewecome

What like people near enough of accusing him of being a terrorist, a fan of the IRA etc? Maybe he just didn't expect the over reaction about it.

Still just think his wages should go to a charity for 2 weeks, public apology and extra training.
Agreed: EXTRA training, get him running up dunes like in that classic old film The Hill! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hill_(film)

MORE training-not none! We've got enough players missing pre-season without inflicting more on ourselves. Assuming he'll still even be at the club after his suspension, which many think he won't.

torchomatic

So do your "non PC" jokes mean you genuinely believe that what you put was acceptable? Did you truly believe in what you put in your "non PC" joke. Do you think you shoulld have been suspended, maybe sacked and vilified by complete hysterical strangers on a message board if someone had found out what you'd said?

personally to a public domain. which bit cant you see.

a public domain. a joke between mates Is done via text or private message.

ive sent plenty of non PC jokes to mates but i do them private not via a open board etc

Nonleagueherewecome

I have heard he isn't the brightest.

And he got one hell of a lot of grief from our other players when he signed because of his "Irish Haircut" :eek:

torchomatic

My cousin has got an Irish Setter. I know he would be disgusted and OUTRAGED at M&D's poor judgement to attack Irish people on a public forum. He should be banned from the forum for two weeks.

Stone him! Stone him!

Is this you on a public domain saying you think all Irish people are thick? Or is it just banter?

Otis

There was a post I believe on GMK last week whereby some Muslim reporter was getting all hot under the collar at the England fans wearing St. George armour and shields and attire at the Euro Championships and he was talking about it representing the Crusades and being in very poor taste. How many hundreds of years ago was that?

FFS.

Perspective, perspective. If the IRA were still operating in the same manner they were 20, 30 and 40 years ago and were still active as a terrorist organisation then I could understand the uproar. If that had have been the case then I am sure Deegan wouldn't have said it.

It's like the old age dilemma. How long after someone is dead is it okay to make a joke about them.

Changeyourface

There was a post I believe on GMK last week whereby some Muslim reporter was getting all hot under the collar at the England fans wearing St. George armour and shields and attire at the Euro Championships and he was talking about it representing the Crusades and being in very poor taste. How many hundreds of years ago was that?

FFS.

Perspective, perspective. If the IRA were still operating in the same manner they were 20, 30 and 40 years ago and were still active as a terrorist organisation then I could understand the uproar. If that had have been the case then I am sure Deegan wouldn't have said it.

It's like the old age dilemma. How long after someone is dead is it okay to make a joke about them.

Well I'm sure the families of the victims have got over it by now, so it's perfectly acceptable for public figures to make pro-IRA comments....

Otis

It was a joke.

Context. This is all to do with McPake playing for Northern Ireland and Deegan being from the Republic of Ireland. Surely you can see that? He appologised, removed the comment. Just fine him some wages and let's move on.

How many Muslims did we kill during the Crusades?

Maybe we should not wear the armour anymore for fancy dress.

Otis

As I say, when is the right time to tell a joke about a famous dead person?

If they find he meant it then sack him. If it was just a joke fine him and let's move on.

Sterling Archer

These people who are condemning Deegan are hypocritical morons. Stop acting like you've never said anything something you regret in jest?
The issue with this is that the majority of us aren't stupid enough to post it in a public place whilst being in a job where everything you say in the public eye is under scrutiny and will be judged.

Deegan was VERY VERY stupid but I doubt there was any real malice in the comment.

I also think it leaves Deegan in a bad situation, we all know how many knuckledragging "NO SURRENDER" types you get at the football and I wouldn't be surprised if a section of fans booed him.

He's crap anyway, so if we can use his wages elsewhere I'm all for him leaving. I'll save people the bother of replying "DO U REALLY FINK SISU WUD SPEND THOSE SAVED WAGEZ ON PLAYAZ?!?!?!"

So do your "non PC" jokes mean you genuinely believe that what you put was acceptable? Did you truly believe in what you put in your "non PC" joke. Do you think you shoulld have been suspended, maybe sacked and vilified by complete hysterical strangers on a message board if someone had found out what you'd said?

you really are a sad sad human being

i do it privatly unlike deegan who broadcasts it on a public domain

stupot07

I agree to an extent Otis, but employers have to do things by the book, and even "jokes" if in bad taste or someone takes offence to them can be subject to disciplinary procedures. Let's wait for the outcome before we get too enraged.

Also we're going back to training. Week early so effectively Deegan will only be one week begins those at other clubs.

fatboyblue

If this guy had done this up here in Scotland, he would have been applauded in the press and on BBC (Boys Backing Celtic) Scotland. Celtic would be beating a path to his door to sign him and he would be an instant hero and role model for The Green Brigade, who would have a song penned and ready for his debut. In fact if you want rid of him drop a note to..
.. Mr. Peter Liewell.
The Piggery
Glasgow
He will be delighted to sign him, just for the extra tops he will sell with Deegan's name on the back.

Seriously, this is very, very small beer compared to what gets tweeted up here.

For instance, the latest atrocity perpetrated against Rangers Football Club, by supposedly respected(but no longer) channel 4 and ITV journalist Alex Thomson who tweeted a gif. mocking the memorial outside our stadium to the 66 poor souls who lost their lives in the Ibrox disaster in January 1971. His excuse was that he did not know the significance of the memorial. This after fully describing it and its meaning in a blog last March. A disgusting sub-human.

At least your guy apologised.

Changeyourface

If this guy had done this up here in Scotland, he would have been applauded in the press and on BBC (Boys Backing Celtic) Scotland. Celtic would be beating a path to his door to sign him and he would be an instant hero and role model for The Green Brigade, who would have a song penned and ready for his debut. In fact if you want rid of him drop a note to..
.. Mr. Peter Liewell.
The Piggery
Glasgow
He will be delighted to sign him, just for the extra tops he will sell with Deegan's name on the back.

Seriously, this is very, very small beer compared to what gets tweeted up here.

For instance, the latest atrocity perpetrated against Rangers Football Club, by supposedly respected(but no longer) channel 4 and ITV journalist Alex Thomson who tweeted a gif. mocking the memorial outside our stadium to the 66 poor souls who lost their lives in the Ibrox disaster in January 1971. His excuse was that he did not know the significance of the memorial. This after fully describing it and its meaning in a blog last March. A disgusting sub-human.

At least your guy apologised.

True but I've apologised loads of times without meaning it to get out of the shit. Didn't mean I was truely sorry for what I did, and didn't mean I wasn't a wanker, just meant I regretted getting caught.

torchomatic

So, its acceptable for you because you're clever enough to do it in private?

you really are a sad sad human being

i do it privatly unlike deegan who broadcasts it on a public domain

chiefdave

sure the PFA won't let us get away with sacking him without paying off his wages so surely not letting him train isn't going to help us in anyway. how many players have underperformed only for us to be told it's because they didn't have a proper pre season!

SkyBlueJohnso

agree with most on here with common sense - he knows he done wrong and has apologised, club needs to take some action so fine him and slap his wrists.

how is suspending him punishment? he's missing out on the 1st 2 weeks of pre season training, i'm sure he's ready and raring to get started as he knows he's got a good chance of starting the 1st game of the season and making an impression this year, all the club are doing are holding him back, therefore punishing the rest of the team!!!

torchomatic

Nonleagueherewecome

Well, I don't agree, it's hypocritical. I'm glad I'm a sad human being.

You might have to bring milk in tomorrow if you want an early morning coffee.

I mean it's tertible, yeah, Deegan, yadda yadda...

Users who are viewing this thread