Geoff foster (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
From what I remember Mercia had Dave Bennett every week?

Grendel

It is getting pretty bad. Even eakin seems to be getting at him now.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Who would be up for doing an alternative commentary? I have a platform we can use. Could be a regular thing.
I propose Nick and Grendel the new Saint and Greavsie.

The problem is you won't get many laughs out of them, they will just agree all the time. ;)

giphy.gif

Unfortunately bumbling Geoff Foster has ruined the match day experience for me whilst reporting on away games. I listened to him struggling to pronounce the names of many of the Wimbledon players yesterday and found it so cringeworthy and painful to listen to I had to switch off.
As a licence fee payee I expect more from the BBC than this less than amateurish shambles. However contrary to many peoples opinions I do find Clive Eakin's commentaries of a reasonable standard for a provincial reporter.

pipkin73

Before IFollow we had Sky Blue player and all you got was the audio from BBC Cwr. It used to crash all the time so i would log on to the oppositions version and believe me, they made Clive and Geoff sound amazing. Some even stopped transmitting at half time. They may not be great but for a LOCAL station they do a better job than most.

jordan210

To me both of them are a bit like that drunk uncle at a wedding you listen to them but know 99% of what they said is bollocks.

CCFC_Charlie

CWR is so amateurish these days. What epitomises it for me is how slow they are at getting the team news out. It's posted on Twitter at 2pm every week and they're all still sat there at 2:10 saying 'we're still waiting for the team news to come for today's game'. It's a small thing but it shows just how out of touch and poorly organised they are.

chiefdave

Having spent many years living away from Cov and relying on the commentary I've got a bit of a soft spot for Clive and Geoff. Got to be better than the days of waiting for Ceefax to update!
It used to crash all the time so i would log on to the oppositions version and believe me, they made Clive and Geoff sound amazing.
Was going to post similar. Be careful what you wish for, getting rid of Clive and Geoff won't necessarily lead to an improvement if other local commentators are anything to go by.

pipkin73

CWR is so amateurish these days. What epitomises it for me is how slow they are at getting the team news out. It's posted on Twitter at 2pm every week and they're all still sat there at 2:10 saying 'we're still waiting for the team news to come for today's game'. It's a small thing but it shows just how out of touch and poorly organised they are.
They announced it almost first thing this week. Basically straight after the programmes intro.

junglej13

I quite like Geoff and know he has had some quite serious health problems so am a bit uncomfortable criticising him. Having said that I grew up listening to Rob Gurney who was absolutely incredible. Believe he still covers West Brom these days. Id kill to have him back.

mullingar

I must stick up for these guys. I don't care about mispronounciations. Indeed I don't know if I'd recognize them anyway. They do communicate a genuine sense of excitement and even more tellingly a sense of threat when the opposition are attacking. I really look forward to the coverage when I can't attend.I even like the post match phone in especially if we have lost it feels quite healing to share the disappointment.

Otis

Yep, definitely.

I always have the radio on while watching the game and I pretty much always see the team news on here well before CWR announce they have it.

And, Mullingar, the problem lies not so much with mispronunciations, but with the fact they talk about completely the wrong player on the ball, or committing a foul or tackle, or clearance, or shot.

Obviously many fans only listen on the radio and therefore are being fed a total miscommunication and representation as to what is actually going on in the game.

Last week Willis was involved in so many incidents 10 minutes after he had been substituted.

People listening on the radio quite often get a completely different picture to what is really going on, on the pitch.

The Beeb team will often talk about a player on the ball despite the fact he is at least 30 yards away and on the other side of the pitch.

I still have the radio on while I watch, because obviously for me, I can see the true picture.

For away games, I always used to listen to the commentary on the radio, but stopped doing so about two seasons ago and now just follow SSN and the match thread on here, only turning CWR on for the post match phone-in.

letsallsingtogether

I quite like Geoff and know he has had some quite serious health problems so am a bit uncomfortable criticising him. Having said that I grew up listening to Rob Gurney who was absolutely incredible. Believe he still covers West Brom these days. Id kill to have him back.
Gurney was great, but believe he was banned by the club as were the Telegraph for his views on our owners.
Shame knew everything about the City.

Grendel

Gurney was great, but believe he was banned by the club as were the Telegraph for his views on our owners.
Shame knew everything about the City.

Eh? He left for a promotion to BBC WM the season after relegation to the championship.

Magwitch

Have a heart you guys Geoff Foster had a stroke not that long ago, these things can leave lasting and permenant damage especially to speech, seems thankfully he has recovered enough so he can carry on with his job. I have noticed when he interviews there can be little pauses between his questions so what I
As for Eakin I like him too and yes he gets the odd thing muddled but that’s okay lightens things up a bit.

Last edited:

Adge

Eh? He left for a promotion to BBC WM the season after relegation to the championship.
He did-after a major fallout with Strachan and the club which made his position untenable.

robbiekeane

Have a heart you guys Geoff Foster had a stroke not that long ago, these things can leave lasting and permenant damage especially to speech, seems thankfully he has recovered enough so he can carry on with his job.
If you read the posts we've acknowledged that but if he can't do his job anymore he shouldn't be doing it...

Adge

If you read the posts we've acknowledged that but if he can't do his job anymore he shouldn't be doing it...
And was garbage before his stroke anyway. Hope he gets his early retirement soon and his health remains stable-just get him off the wireless!

Otis

And was garbage before his stroke anyway. Hope he gets his early retirement soon and his health remains stable-just get him off the wireless!
Well, that's a fair point. We are all very sorry he had a stroke, but he was poor before the stroke.

Joy Division

Letsallsingtogether is correct, he was banned from the club thus forcing him out of being able to commentate on games. He would have stayed if not for Strachan disliking him.

bawtryneal

Yep, definitely.

I always have the radio on while watching the game and I pretty much always see the team news on here well before CWR announce they have it.

And, Mullingar, the problem lies not so much with mispronunciations, but with the fact they talk about completely the wrong player on the ball, or committing a foul or tackle, or clearance, or shot.

Obviously many fans only listen on the radio and therefore are being fed a total miscommunication and representation as to what is actually going on in the game.

Last week Willis was involved in so many incidents 10 minutes after he had been substituted.

People listening on the radio quite often get a completely different picture to what is really going on, on the pitch.

The Beeb team will often talk about a player on the ball despite the fact he is at least 30 yards away and on the other side of the pitch.

I still have the radio on while I watch, because obviously for me, I can see the true picture.

For away games, I always used to listen to the commentary on the radio, but stopped doing so about two seasons ago and now just follow SSN and the match thread on here, only turning CWR on for the post match phone-in.

Serious question Otis
How do you cope with listening to the game on the radio whilst actually watching the game live
Is`nt there a 20 second delay (or similar) or is that just Iplayer
If I cant be at the Ricoh I listen on Iplayer and once last season they had put a score up on sky sports and the Iplayer commentary was at least 1 minute behind

larry_david

Watched the fb stream and it had the commentary on. Worked really well. Agree Geoffs analysis added very little but there was a time about 5 years ago he started doing one half and Clive the other and I thought Geoff was better.

Otis

Serious question Otis
How do you cope with listening to the game on the radio whilst actually watching the game live
Is`nt there a 20 second delay (or similar) or is that just Iplayer
If I cant be at the Ricoh I listen on Iplayer and once last season they had put a score up on sky sports and the Iplayer commentary was at least 1 minute behind
Nope, all synched in real time.

fernandopartridge

Is there any profession that isn't in your field of expertise Charles? The journalists will tend to wait for a team sheet to be given to them, nothing wrong with that. Not all of their listeners trawl twitter for team news or at all.

NortonSkyBlue

For the Scunthorpe game I didn't know the chosen team as it was either not put on the scoreboard because of the Ernie Hunt tribute, not heard because of the muffled tannoy or I wasnt concentrating. Either way I had a hard job picking out the new players.
On Saturday I was back in Riyadh and watched on Ifollow with commentary. The team was identified by the commentator, the game was followed easily and yes the commentary was just adequate( more frustrated with the Nuneaton Town and Bradford City references) but it did not detract from the game for me and it was comforting to listen to someone who wants the team in Sky Blue to do well. Yes its a dated style and yes I am sure some of the guys on the vlogs are more fluent but I am sure he is near the end of his career and I can't see why he should be put out to pasture at this stage.
Those that are speculating on his salary should contact the BBC and demand the information as part of the freedom of information act, ask the daily mail for the value of his house and the NHS for his medical records. Right arm for his job? no thanks, its like standing in Broadgate with a sign saying "abuse me please"

Otis

For the Scunthorpe game I didn't know the chosen team as it was either not put on the scoreboard because of the Ernie Hunt tribute, not heard because of the muffled tannoy or I wasnt concentrating. Either way I had a hard job picking out the new players.
On Saturday I was back in Riyadh and watched on Ifollow with commentary. The team was identified by the commentator, the game was followed easily and yes the commentary was just adequate( more frustrated with the Nuneaton Town and Bradford City references) but it did not detract from the game for me and it was comforting to listen to someone who wants the team in Sky Blue to do well. Yes its a dated style and yes I am sure some of the guys on the vlogs are more fluent but I am sure he is near the end of his career and I can't see why he should be put out to pasture at this stage.
Those that are speculating on his salary should contact the BBC and demand the information as part of the freedom of information act, ask the daily mail for the value of his house and the NHS for his medical records. Right arm for his job? no thanks, its like standing in Broadgate with a sign saying "abuse me please"
I tried that.

Came home with 47p and a black eye.

bawtryneal

Don’t know what you do for a living but hopefully should, god forbid , you get a serious illness you get fucked off for someone else

Whilst I totally agree with your sentiment and its good to see Torchomatic "liking" your comment (having had his health problems) you would think that CWR would find a different role for Geoff Foster within their organisation. I employ a large number of people and unfortunately we encounter a number of staff every year with health issues. I always support them to the best of our ability but it is not always practical to "re employ" somebody in the same role when they return from illness.

NorthernWisdom

Whilst I totally agree with your sentiment and its good to see Torchomatic "liking" your comment (having had his health problems) you would think that CWR would find a different role for Geoff Foster within their organisation. I employ a large number of people and unfortunately we encounter a number of staff every year with health issues. I always support them to the best of our ability but it is not always practical to "re employ" somebody in the same role when they return from illness.
Yeah I'd have thought the responsible thing for an employer to do would be to find something he can do and take into account any health issues... although his job's all the worse from his POV really, as things you might get away with in an everyday job, you can't when you're on the radio. For better or worse, being in the public eye will bring criticism... or praise of course, where otherwise you can go unnoticed.

robbiekeane

Don’t know what you do for a living but hopefully should, god forbid , you get a serious illness you get fucked off for someone else
Silly thing to say really isn't it.
If I was a footballer and i lost my leg i wouldn't expect to be selected in the starting line up, or a singer and lost my voice etc. Doesn't mean they can't look after him and find something else to do, but if the whole basis of his capability to fill the role is how good he is at commentating and he's not very good at all....do you really still keep him as a commentator because he was seriously ill?

Users who are viewing this thread