Geoff foster (2 Viewers)

Grendel

Yeah, he's a really nice guy and I think he had some pretty serious health problems. Best wishes to him.

Also people really need to listen to other regional commentators and then they'd see we have been fairly fortunate over the years

Mcbean

Hope he is ok and enjoys his retirement listening to the Sky Blues getting back to the prem - clearly a sky blue fan and thats all that matters

Sky Blue Harry H

Geoff Foster played a one off as goalkeeper for our team about 15 years ago (won 8-0 iirc!). He was more of a rugby fan (pre-Wasps) but as others have said, a cracking bloke. Happy retirement Geoff. (used to knock about with Adam Dent a bit,; whatever happened to him? - Wolves fan!)

Adge

Was never the greatest on the wireless-good luck to him though on his retirement.
Don’t think you can get better than the Gurney/Dent duo of years gone by.
Clive does a reasonable job in all fairness.

EalingSB

Also people really need to listen to other regional commentators and then they'd see we have been fairly fortunate over the years
100% agree. My father-in-law supports Stoke and I bought him a match pass when they came to visit and it was abysmal. I really like Oggy too although he gets stick from some.

Hobo

I remember being on my hands and knees in my bedroom rotating the FM areial in the 70's. Trying to get snippets from local radio stations when we were away - Stoke, Derby, Leeds, Middlesborough. You would scower the National Press for a matchreport...a paragraph of four sentences written by the local reporter.

Things are a lot better these days and even if coverage is wanting it is far better than when I was a teenager.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think having Gurney spoiled us a bit and Geoff and Clive were/are decent enough at their jobs, certainly at a local level. I've listened to other games on regional radio and you've no idea what's going on as the people commentating just seem to be having a chat like they're down the pub.

I assumed Geoff had retired due to his health when Oggy became co-commentator. His ill-health had definitely started to affect his ability and he was a shadow of his previous self. I hope he gets to enjoy his retirement.

letsallsingtogether

Always found him to be OK.
Have listened to the radio commentary for years must be quite hard remembering all the names and trying to watch the game at the same time.
But hey many on here reckon they could do better.
Happy retirement Geoff.

stay_up_skyblues

Best wishes to Geoff.

I think Oggy’s input and analysis is decent and I do like how he tends to call out some of the more idiotic comments from callers (e.g. the plank who called in the other week and said we should have signed five or six more players in anticipation of a COVID outbreak amongst the squad).

However, it’s been amateur hour this season when Clive fucks off to interview MR post-match and leaves Oggy to take the calls. Several times he has conversed on air with the producer and there have been long periods of silence etc. as he clearly takes instructions.

In fairness it could be teething problems as the guy has no hosting experience so a lot to ask. It may have improved too as I haven’t listened as long as the phone in the last couple of games.

They travel to/from games in a BBC branded Ford Fiesta, or at least did pre-lockdown. Bit snug I imagine with Oggy in the passenger seat.

fernandopartridge

Best wishes to Geoff.

I think Oggy’s input and analysis is decent and I do like how he tends to call out some of the more idiotic comments from callers (e.g. the plank who called in the other week and said we should have signed five or six more players in anticipation of a COVID outbreak amongst the squad).

However, it’s been amateur hour this season when Clive fucks off to interview MR post-match and leaves Oggy to take the calls. Several times he has conversed on air with the producer and there have been long periods of silence etc. as he clearly takes instructions.

In fairness it could be teething problems as the guy has no hosting experience so a lot to ask. It may have improved too as I haven’t listened as long as the phone in the last couple of games.

They travel to/from games in a BBC branded Ford Fiesta, or at least did pre-lockdown. Bit snug I imagine with Oggy in the passenger seat.
He speaks pretty well for a footballer who was rarely interviewed. I don't ever hear the phone in

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I wasn't aware that Fozzie had retired, but understandable. He must be getting on for my age now and I retired for health reasons nearly 11 years ago.
Enjoy your retirement Fozzie Bear! (what he was known as to us at CWR!)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
IIRC, we used to use a Peugeot 205 covered with the CWR livery. It was always parked at the back of the studio in Warwick Road.

Users who are viewing this thread