Get that clown out of goal (1 Viewer)

mmttww

We were doing very well until then and should have been out of sight by half time in this game, this was Robins first spell.

Mad game. First half, couldn't believe we hadn't scored a bunch. Felt like they just walked past Wood and Edge like they weren't there - three times! - and that was it.

SkyBlueSoul

Mad game. First half, couldn't believe we hadn't scored a bunch. Felt like they just walked past Wood and Edge like they weren't there - three times! - and that was it.
What was it, 27 shots and hit the post 3 times?

harvey098

It’s a tricky one.. he is the clean sheet merchant. He literally won the golden glove for clean sheets last season and people still said it was just because of the defence. Is it just a coincidence or is it his talking, organising and confidence the defence has in him behind.

We hadnt kept a clean sheet for 9 league games then Wilson comes in and clean sheet.

Probably the level of opposition has something to do with it but can’t knock his clean sheet record - is it all luck?

covcity4life

Don't remember him having alot to do

Think Collins will play Vs Maidstone. Who goes forward long term I dunno but would bet on Collins if I had too. Nice for Wilson to get back in and stake his claim though

shmmeee

season 9 GIF

Hobo

I really don't think Collins is much of an upgrade on Wilson to be honest. The advantage he has is he played with Thomas and Kitching last year, but there still seems to be misunderstandings? He has faults and I think he has got away with a few things so far. He parrys everything and little sticks when somethings should.

The test will be when he is on the end of a howler. Will his confidence crumble or will it be water off a ducks back?

Brighton Sky Blue

I really don't think Collins is much of an upgrade on Wilson to be honest. The advantage he has is he played with Thomas and Kitching last year, but there still seems to be misunderstandings? He has faults and I think he has got away with a few things so far. He parrys everything and little sticks when somethings should.

The test will be when he is on the end of a howler. Will his confidence crumble or will it be water off a ducks back?
Can’t think of many opposition keepers who’ve really impressed me this season to be honest. The standard in the division generally isn’t that high.

alfielloyd

It’s a tricky one.. he is the clean sheet merchant. He literally won the golden glove for clean sheets last season and people still said it was just because of the defence. Is it just a coincidence or is it his talking, organising and confidence the defence has in him behind.

We hadnt kept a clean sheet for 9 league games then Wilson comes in and clean sheet.

Probably the level of opposition has something to do with it but can’t knock his clean sheet record - is it all luck?
So if Moore had kept a clean sheet against Wrexham should he have stayed between the posts?
Man City hardly ever keep a clean sheet but their keeper is ace, with Collins in goal we have lost two matches, both away from home against decent teams. This season with Wilson in goal we lost 6 games.

Hobo

So if Moore had kept a clean sheet against Wrexham should he have stayed between the posts?
Man City hardly ever keep a clean sheet but their keeper is ace, with Collins in goal we have lost two matches, both away from home against decent teams. This season with Wilson in goal we lost 6 games.

Conceding goals isn't always the keepers fault. Your analysis is hardly scientific. It's like last season clean sheets weren't down to Wilson it was the defence (often quoted on here). This season goals conceded are down to Wilson and winning games is down to Collins? Your Man City comparison seems a bit random,?

Happy_Martian

And how about mentioning the context of those 6 games ? Weren't they at a time when our entire team was playing poorly as we were still in that "gelling" phase ? Noone came out of them with any credit but Wilson is the only one that gets hammered for it.

Another forum member told me yesterday that it's not just the keeper that ensures clean sheets, it's their defence. Collins has had the benefit of playing with an established and gelled defence that our fans say is our best 4 yet still concedes, Wilson's back 4/5 changed almost every week.

I'd also mention that Wilson was blamed for the deflected near post goal at Wednesday. Another deflected near post goal against Plymouth and Collins doesn't get half the abuse.

How many more players do our fans have to hate on this season ? Wilson, Godden, Simms, Wright ....

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Sounds about right. Properly surreal game.
Yeah - to this day I don’t know how we lost that. They had 3 shots and scored all 3, was a travesty that. Hated Crewe from that day onwards - I was born in 88. So on top of the fact we didn’t beat them at the Ricoh until 2017? Maybe - they stopped my best chance of going to Wembley.

obviously the hatred isn’t there anymore due to the fact we’ve been to Wembley 3 times since then

Alkhen

I don't get the negativity towards our keepers. Neither are particularly error prone and when one does make a mistake that leads to a goal we can rotate. I'd say we are pretty lucky to have 2 decent Championship quality GKs.

Both may have weak spots in their game but that is totally standard for this level. There hasn't been stand out keepers in this league really, even ones that are highly rated have had poor games.

Last edited:

Hobo

I don't get the negativity towards our keepers. Neither of ours are particularly error prone and when one does make a mistake that leads to a goal we can rotate. I'd say we are pretty lucky to have 2 decent Championship quality GKs.

Both may have weak spots in their game but that is totally standard for this level. There hasn't been stand out keepers in this league really, even ones that are highly rated have had poor games.

Outfield players make lots of mistakes, but there is often someone else to get them out of jail. Keepers make a mistake and it often results in a goal. What annoys me is when fans blame keepers for goals when they are not the one that has made the key mistake.

robbiethemole

Yeah - to this day I don’t know how we lost that. They had 3 shots and scored all 3, was a travesty that. Hated Crewe from that day onwards - I was born in 88. So on top of the fact we didn’t beat them at the Ricoh until 2017? Maybe - they stopped my best chance of going to Wembley.

obviously the hatred isn’t there anymore due to the fact we’ve been to Wembley 3 times since then
Good job you’re not a Sunderland fan then, 40 years and counting Hahaha

fernandopartridge

He's far better, Jesus wept

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Como

They are similar ish and I am not sure how you would rate one obviously better than the other, 20 clean sheets speaks for something.

rob9872

They are similar ish and I am not sure how you would rate one obviously better than the other, 20 clean sheets speaks for something.
Not on here though, we have goalkeeping experts who don't like Wilson and therefore know far better than our GK coach and our management team who have improved every season. Clean sheets are down to no action and the defence. Goals allowed are all down to Wilson, even when Collins is in goal.

Flying Fokker

He's far better, Jesus wept

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
It’s them parries, them parries, we‘re doomed. In all seriousness, they say it’s because the ball is light. I’d be far happier if I saw him at least try and hold on to the ball. His punts to The other players are a pain as well.

Sick Boy

It’s them parries, them parries, we‘re doomed. In all seriousness, they say it’s because the ball is light. I’d be far happier if I saw him at least try and hold on to the ball. His punts to The other players are a pain as well.
Wilson’s performances at the start of the season were shocking. At one point he pretty much jumped out the way of the ball against Cardiff.

Happy_Martian

Wilson’s performances at the start of the season were shocking. At one point he pretty much jumped out the way of the ball against Cardiff.

Another "taken out of context" post. At the start of the season, noone in our squad came out of games smelling of roses. People were upset about every one of the 11 for the first 10-15 games, experienced and new players alike.

Robins has allowed Wright, MvE, Simms etc to get into games. Wilson was dropped and hasn't had a chance to prove he can still do it in goal.

SBT

Can’t think of many opposition keepers who’ve really impressed me this season to be honest. The standard in the division generally isn’t that high.
Yeah I really don’t think you need to invest much into your keepers in order to be a competitive team in this division. I would sooner spend money upgrading every other position on the pitch before I spent money upgrading on Collins, who himself was a relatively low-cost upgrade on Wilson.

Users who are viewing this thread