Give TM a chance (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

I'm just pleased we challenged this season for much of it , I fully expect a better season Overall next year , mid table finish this year which whilst disappointing after our start was more realistic , and push on towards top 8 next year and hopefully hit the playoffs .
Mowbrays first full season at this level so he will have learnt a lot , and hopefully next year our luck isn't flat out with injuries , could be worse we could be Sheffield United fans who blow it every year , we normally have nothing to blow , a nice change lol

J

Jack Griffin

13 managers in 14 years. It's ridiculous and clearly doesn't work
Try something different let him build his own team to suit his playing philosophy

How many years of managerial contracts? 13 mangers, 14 years, maybe 30 years of salaries.

Mind you, Coventry isn't exceptional in that regard, just about every club does it, they must have to budget for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grendel

13 managers in 14 years. It's ridiculous and clearly doesn't work
Try something different let him build his own team to suit his playing philosophy

Once managers enter a slump in form they rarely manage to turn their fortunes around.

One things for certain - if we start next season as we are finishing this one his position becomes untenable.

It's all very well blathering on about football philosophy and attractive football but fans ultimately want one thing - winning football.

Mowbray has two tasks - promotion and getting fans in the ground - at the minute he is failing on both counts. One thing Anderson is responsible for is the budget and that will be on crowds of 9,000 next year unless something changes quickly.

H

Huckerby

Once managers enter a slump in form they rarely manage to turn their fortunes around.

One things for certain - if we start next season as we are finishing this one his position becomes untenable.

It's all very well blathering on about football philosophy and attractive football but fans ultimately want one thing - winning football.

Mowbray has two tasks - promotion and getting fans in the ground - at the minute he is failing on both counts. One thing Anderson is responsible for is the budget and that will be on crowds of 9,000 next year unless something changes quickly.
Agree RE the start of next season. But I'll be so pissed off if we start like we've ended this season and someone has to inherit someone else's team and try and make it work

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Irish Sky Blue

Not sure that this is true. Can't remember how many games Barnsley lost in a row earlier in the season, stuck with their manager and turned it around so much so he was poached by Bristol. Loads of other examples. Problem these days is that managers are given no time at all to build, hence we have a manager who won't move his family and prefers to live 200 miles away from Coventry. Who can blame him. At some point we have to stick with someone and give them a chance. TM plays football the right way. His teams try to score and play with flair. Yes, I want a winning team but I also want to be entertained too. I remember with much more fondness the Fergie, Wallace team of the late 70's than I do the functional Noël Cantwell team that got us into Europe. Jimmy Hill, Gordon Milne, Eric Black and TM- good, Don Howe, Aidy Boothroyd and Pressley last season generally bad. Results overall probably not too different. The style of play however is cheese to chalk. I think that given time Mowbray will deliver an exciting and winning team. Fortunately From what he says, Anderson seems to agree that TM will be given time.

Irish Sky Blue

Agree. Had we sacked Thorn I am convinced we would have stayed up.

We should have sacked Coleman after the 4-1 away at Charlton last day of the season. Only the width of a post stopped us going down that year.

At that stage Coleman had been in charge a matter of months (2 or 3) having inherited someone else's team. Without the benefit of hindsight you would have sacked him then? Is there a minimum time you would give a manager? 5 games, 10 games and then out? You can say that subsequently you were proved right and that Coleman failed. However like a lot of others what chance was he given? The policy of buying young, talented players was abandoned by Sisu and he was left high and dry. I'm no apologist for him. Questionable appointment and his personal life shows him to be not the nicest or most honourable of people. At some point we need to stick and give a well thought out appointment (ie TM) time. You still haven't said who you would appoint who is better than TM. Would it just be a case that anyone is better? I can see another 10 managers in 10 years as we continue to flounder around. Surely a well thought out, well executed plan is better?

Johnnythespider

I haven't got a problem with sacking any manager who looks like they are going to get us relegated, but that is not the case with Mowbray. It is disappointing to have dropped from the top of the table in November but it is not as bad as trying to win the last game to stay up. He should get another year for me.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Otis

Not sure that this is true. Can't remember how many games Barnsley lost in a row earlier in the season, stuck with their manager and turned it around so much so he was poached by Bristol. Loads of other examples. Problem these days is that managers are given no time at all to build, hence we have a manager who won't move his family and prefers to live 200 miles away from Coventry. Who can blame him. At some point we have to stick with someone and give them a chance. TM plays football the right way. His teams try to score and play with flair. Yes, I want a winning team but I also want to be entertained too. I remember with much more fondness the Fergie, Wallace team of the late 70's than I do the functional Noël Cantwell team that got us into Europe. Jimmy Hill, Gordon Milne, Eric Black and TM- good, Don Howe, Aidy Boothroyd and Pressley last season generally bad. Results overall probably not too different. The style of play however is cheese to chalk. I think that given time Mowbray will deliver an exciting and winning team. Fortunately From what he says, Anderson seems to agree that TM will be given time.
Thing is with Barnsley, the word was that during the poor run they were playing well, but losing. They kept playing well and turned it round.

With us we went from playing well to not playing well.

If we had carried on playing well but losing I would have 100% believed we would turn it round too.

NorthernWisdom

Not convinced we've played well consistently all season.

We had good games, started on fire for the first three but... it's been fits and spurts, beyond that.

Could be argued Mowbray had he team punching above its weight early, and now we're reverting to the norm.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Thing is with Barnsley, the word was that during the poor run they were playing well, but losing. They kept playing well and turned it round.

If we had carried on playing well but losing I would have 100% believed we would turn it round too.
Where was that word coming from then? I'm a member on some UK football forums and the Barnsley fans on their were suicidal at the time and wanted the manager out.

I can also confirm that they were one of the worse teams to visit the Ricoh this season and didn't play well that day.

Otis

Where was that word coming from then? I'm a member on some UK football forums and the Barnsley fans on their were suicidal at the time and wanted the manager out.

I can also confirm that they were one of the worse teams to visit the Ricoh this season and didn't play well that day.
I thought they were alright against us and unlucky to lose.

When we played the game, CWR had someone from Barnsley in the commentary box for an interview (think it might have been the local reporter who reported on all their games) and he said that Barnsley had been playing really well but just not getting the results.

Not surprised at all if Barnsley fans were suicidal if they were losing every week. We'd be the same.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I thought they were alright against us and unlucky to lose.

When we played the game, CWR had someone from Barnsley in the commentary box for an interview (think it might have been the local reporter who reported on all their games) and he said that Barnsley had been playing really well but just not getting the results.

Not surprised at all if Barnsley fans were suicidal if they were losing every week. We'd be the same.
They were dogshit against us, they were fortunate we gifted them the goals otherwise they'd have been smashed 4-0.

I didn't hear what you did on the radio but I wouldn't place much credibility on what they say, our idiot reporters probably say similar when asked about how we are playing.

They had 17 points after the first 19 games, that isn't a team who have played well and been unlucky. Its a team who were shit for almost half the season.

dongonzalos

I would have been worried if I was a Barnsley fan that day at the Ricoh

We played very well on Friday and were very unlucky to lose.

Play that game another ten times with the same chances to both teams we would win most times

Last edited:

Irish Sky Blue

Several of the games in our poor run we have played well. That would include recent games against Shrewsbury and Peterborough. It seems that when we do play well it is because the opposition are desperate. Another reason for keeping faith with TM is that you can see what he is trying to achieve. We absolutely battered Peterborough, who apart from ourselves, are the best team I have seen this season ( first half at the Ricoh). Barnsley quite rightly kept faith with their manager and have reaped the reward. After the game at the Ricoh I thought they were certainties for relegation.

Last edited:

Otis

They were dogshit against us, they were fortunate we gifted them the goals otherwise they'd have been smashed 4-0.

I didn't hear what you did on the radio but I wouldn't place much credibility on what they say, our idiot reporters probably say similar when asked about how we are playing.

They had 17 points after the first 19 games, that isn't a team who have played well and been unlucky. Its a team who were shit for almost half the season.
Can only tell you what he was saying. Pretty certain it didn't come across as just his view either.

It was obviously some months back now.

Otis

I would have been worried if I was a Barnsley fan that day at the Ricoh

We played very well on Friday and were very unlucky to lose.

Okay that game another ten times with the same chances to both teams we would win most times
Only if our shooting had been a lot more accurate.

dongonzalos

Only if our shooting had been a lot more accurate.

No exactly the same without their keeper having the game of his life......

POSH REACTION: Awesome Alnwick was the star man for Peterborough United

Alnwick’s heroics kept Coventry at bay during a one-sided first-half in front of the live Sky TV cameras

Goalkeeper Ben Alwnick was by far and away the best Peterborough United player in their 3-1 League One win over Coventry at the ABAX Stadium tonight (March 25

Ben Alnwick: Superb display. Posh would have been dead an buried in the opening quarter, but for a string of great saves. Caught his crosses well and a deserved winner of the man-of-the-match award. Outstanding 9

Read more: http://m.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sp...r-peterborough-united-1-7297775#ixzz447jFGxP2

stupot07

That pretty much mirrors our current form 19 points from our last 20 games. We're a team who are shit for almost half a season.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

SkyBlue_Bear83

That pretty much mirrors our current form 19 points from our last 20 games. We're a team who are shit for almost half a season.

Exactly, because we've played poor like Barnsley did for the first half of the season.

If we were playing well we'd have turned it around by now just like if Barnsley were playing well in the first half of the season they would have turned it around before half the season had passed.

stupot07

No exactly the same without their keeper having the game of his life......

POSH REACTION: Awesome Alnwick was the star man for Peterborough United

Alnwick’s heroics kept Coventry at bay during a one-sided first-half in front of the live Sky TV cameras

Goalkeeper Ben Alwnick was by far and away the best Peterborough United player in their 3-1 League One win over Coventry at the ABAX Stadium tonight (March 25

Ben Alnwick: Superb display. Posh would have been dead an buried in the opening quarter, but for a string of great saves. Caught his crosses well and a deserved winner of the man-of-the-match award. Outstanding 9

Read more: http://m.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sp...r-peterborough-united-1-7297775#ixzz447jFGxP2
I wouldnt put too much credence in what their local media write, ours are just as bullish when we have a good result, we were going to storm back into the play offs after the Bury game.

Their keeper had a game but none of his saves were worldies. Our finishing was poor. I'm sure he's made better saves in his career than the ones he made on Friday. In fact RCC has made better saves than those this season.

Last edited:

stupot07

Exactly, because we've played poor like Barnsley did for the first half of the season.

If we were playing well we'd have turned it around by now just like if Barnsley were playing well in the first half of the season they would have turned it around before half the season had passed.
I'm not one for sacking Mowbray, but what should we judge him on - the first 17 games or the last 20 games? (More of a rhetorical question than aimed at you ccfc)

dongonzalos

I wouldnt put too much credence in what their local media write, ours are just as bullish when we have a good result, we were going to storm back into the play offs after the Bury game.

Their keeper had a game but none of his saves were worldies. Our finishing was poor. I'm sure he's made better saves in his career than the ones he made on Friday. In fact RCC has made better saves than those this season.

And the Nationals?

After being outplayed in the first half, Alnwick repeatedly came to their rescue with seven fine saves, chiefly from Jacob Murphy, who also hit the post after the break.

BBC

Grendel

And the Nationals?

After being outplayed in the first half, Alnwick repeatedly came to their rescue with seven fine saves, chiefly from Jacob Murphy, who also hit the post after the break.

BBC

Name one save you wouldn't have expected him to make.

Nick

Administrator
And the Nationals?

BBC
Was that the one for the camera where he could have caught it but went for the slow motion one handed punch?

Hobo

Not convinced we've played well consistently all season.

We had good games, started on fire for the first three but... it's been fits and spurts, beyond that.

Could be argued Mowbray had he team punching above its weight early, and now we're reverting to the norm.

I totally agree. We were not on fire at all, but we were getting results. We had good spells in games rather ran dominated them. As I have said we got ourselves into a great position, but we needed to kick into a higher gear. Unfortunately we have dropped down a gear. Injuries along the back four and over rotating the midfield has been our downfall. TM brought in experience and they haven't had the legs to do it.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Its a good question, if the runs had been the opposite way around and the last 20 games had been the first 20, its possible he may not even be here.

We've seen a big improvement this season from last and look set for a top half finish after almost going down last season, he's improved and stabilsed our league position and we are in no danger of going down so gets a tick for that.

I think the fact that we've had a lot of disruptions in the team, particularly in defence with Martin, Stokes, Reda (Our 3 best defenders over the season) is a big reason as to why we've fallen off. Had Reda not got injured I have a feeling we'd still be in the play offs, can't really use that as an excuse though as well all knew he would get injured at some point. The big challenge in the summer will be to replace Reda with another defender with the same qualities who has a much better injury record.

On the assumption we will still be in league 1 next year play offs has to be the minimum next season and will be the time to judge him.

stupot07

And the Nationals?

BBC
Name which saves you wouldnt expect a keeper to save? I'd have expected RCC to save everyone of those, that's what keepers get paid for.

Coles? Straight at him a good height and probably going over

Murphy? Went near post, keepers shouldn't be beaten there, could easily reach it with his foot.

Fortune?/again near post but easily got his hand to it. Routine

Muphys second was routine

The one if ricketts he made it look better than it was for the cameras.

I could go on.

He had a good game, no one is denying that, but our finishing was poor and the saves he made you would expect a keeper to make.

Peterbough didn't give RCC a sniff at saving their 3 shots

Last edited:

stevefloyd

I don't think we should sack TM but I am a little miffed at how such an experienced manager has managed to go on such a bad run of around half a season and not managed to turn it around when we were in such a commanding position for the 1st half of the season, a good manager can get the extra 10/20 per cent out of players but we appear to have run out of steam... Poor signings followed and 1 of the fans 'favourites' leaves the club apparently under a cloud ..just makes you wonder wtf is going on.

stupot07

Its a good question, if the runs had been the opposite way around and the last 20 games had been the first 20, its possible he may not even be here.

We've seen a big improvement this season from last and look set for a top half finish after almost going down last season, he's improved and stabilsed our league position and we are in no danger of going down so gets a tick for that.

I think the fact that we've had a lot of disruptions in the team, particularly in defence with Martin, Stokes, Reda (Our 3 best defenders over the season) is a big reason as to why we've fallen off. Had Reda not got injured I have a feeling we'd still be in the play offs, can't really use that as an excuse though as well all knew he would get injured at some point. The big challenge in the summer will be to replace Reda with another defender with the same qualities who has a much better injury record.

On the assumption we will still be in league 1 next year play offs has to be the minimum next season and will be the time to judge him.
I agree with a lot this but the "if reda hadn't got injured line..." He was always going to get injured, great player when fit but hasn't managed to play half a season for the last 6-7 years so was always going to get inured at some point , TM knew this when he re-signed him in the summer.

Otis

Don does like his spin

Of course a local rag is going to big it up.

Watch the game again Don and tell me which brilliant saves he made?

He made very good saves, but had he not have saved them he would have been blamed.

Pointless arguing the toss.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I agree with a lot this but the "if reda hadn't got injured line..." He was always going to get injured, great player when fit but hasn't managed to play half a season for the last 6-7 years so was always going to get inured at some point , TM knew this when he re-signed him in the summer.

Which is exactly why I followed it up with

ad Reda not got injured I have a feeling we'd still be in the play offs, can't really use that as an excuse though as well all knew he would get injured at some point.

So in fact you agree with all?

Otis

Name one save you wouldn't have expected him to make.
Yep, exactly.

Impossible to do so. They were all saveable. The keeper is getting plaudits more on the fact of the quantity of saves he made rather than the quality.

Very good saves, but saves any keeper would be expected to make.

Users who are viewing this thread