Godiva (3 Viewers)

shmmeee

Yeah, last time I went we strolled up with a crate of beer and spent the day getting smashed on warm beer for about £20.

Sweet. Last time I bothered they were searching people on the way in and all sorts.

clint van damme

Sweet. Last time I bothered they were searching people on the way in and all sorts.

you'll be lucky to get beer in mate and apparently security will be tighter than usual this year. They serve Tuborg as well which is basically a liquid crime.

Johnnythespider

I will be there Friday night and I like the look of the rhythm tent on Sunday for some top notch ska

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Otis

Yeah, food and drink is expensive, but we still love it.

Yeah, forgot about the ska tent on Sunday. Roddy Radiation is there.

The Amazons might be ones to give a whirl. Predicted for big things.

LastGarrison

The year before they put the fences up the atmosphere could be best described as toxic! Groups of lads sat round getting steaming with their own crates, bottles of voddy etc. (Admittedly I was one of the said people) but if they hadn't of changed it, it wouldn't have lasted much longer in my opinion.

Yes it's £4.50 a pint which actually isn't that much more than in places like Drapers, Millsy's etc. and is offset by the fact that you get to see some excellent bands and I personally have had some cracking days, nights and weekends there over the years.

If getting pissed on the cheap is your main priority then just take a rake of beer up and don't go into the main area. It's not like you still won't hear them.

Otis

The year before they put the fences up the atmosphere could be best described as toxic! Groups of lads sat round getting steaming with their own crates, bottles of voddy etc. (Admittedly I was one of the said people) but if they hadn't of changed it, it wouldn't have lasted much longer in my opinion.

Yes it's £4.50 a pint which actually isn't that much more than in places like Drapers, Millsy's etc. and is offset by the fact that you get to see some excellent bands and I personally have had some cracking days, nights and weekends there over the years.

If getting pissed on the cheap is your main priority then just take a rake of beer up and don't go into the main area. It's not like you still won't hear them.
Yep, exactly. Plenty of people sitting having their own beers outside the perimiter.

I find that it doesn't really get at all toxic until after about 8.30 pm. Before that it is usally all good natured on the whole. Been going for many, many years and only once have I seen any trouble at all.

You find the younger. distasteful youths more likely to be hanging around the funfair area.

Sky_Blue_Daz

My daughters asked if she can go with her friends Saturday
I'm reluctant to let her go to be honest

clint van damme

My daughters asked if she can go with her friends Saturday
I'm reluctant to let her go to be honest

Sunday is generally a lot more chilled out and family orientated, she should be fine mate and it finishes at around 6.
You could arrange to meet her outside the main gates after and pick her up.

Otis

Yeah, would say Sunday. Mine wants to do the same. She has just turned 13, but I worry she might just hang about around by the funfair and that can be a bit of an oppressive atmosphere round there.

Last year there were a group of teenagers (maybe 13 or 14 year olds) all hanging around and walking around the fair. There must have been 30 of them. Just seemed to be a bit of aggressive intent about them. All walking en masse as if as a show of power.

Very reluctant to let my daughter go by herself, so I have said we will go and you can meet your friends for a couple of hours while I'm there, but not in the evening.

Sunday we are taking her best friend with us anyway.

bringbackrattles

Yeah, would say Sunday. Mine wants to do the same. She has just turned 13, but I worry she might just hang about around by the funfair and that can be a bit of an oppressive atmosphere round there.

Last year there were a group of teenagers (maybe 13 or 14 year olds) all hanging around and walking around the fair. There must have been 30 of them. Just seemed to be a bit of aggressive intent about them. All walking en masse as if as a show of power.

Very reluctant to let my daughter go by herself, so I have said we will go and you can meet your friends for a couple of hours while I'm there, but not in the evening.

Sunday we are taking her best friend with us anyway.
My sister's granddaughter who's fifteen who used to be a lovely young girl,and deep down probably still is,has turned into a right handful. She's gotten in with some older crowd and has been expelled from school_been nicked for drugs,been caught stealing from shops,and it took four coppers to hold her down recently as she went wild on being arrested.
I last saw her two years ago and we had a good laugh and she's bright and extrovert,and it upsets me to hear all the bad stuff about her. Her parents are sick with stress and are decent people,but can't handle her.
You are right to be worried Otis girls are impressionable and so good luck !

Johnnythespider

Well I've got to say I think the Stranglers were brilliant tonight I would go as far as to say it is my favourite performance in Godiva history.
Whatever happened to lady Godiva
She got her tits out
Covered them with her hair.

Covstu

It's a shame today's lineup is poor (suppose down to musical tastes I guess) but would have been better moving the darkness to Saturday night

LastGarrison

It depends on what your musical tastes are I suppose but Example is a great coup for Godiva I feel which has been predominantly made up of 'older' or new up and coming bands over the years.

Although saying that I'll be watching Carl Barat before going over to watch what I imagine will be a rousing set by Tom Clarke!

Otis

Yep, down to taste. I wouldn't prefer the Darkness on Saturday at all. I think the line up is fine as it is. The Amazons, Caral Barat and Example. Good mix there.

And I will most certainly be avoiding the Darkness on Sunday too! ;)

bringbackrattles

Yep, down to taste. I wouldn't prefer the Darkness on Saturday at all. I think the line up is fine as it is. The Amazons, Caral Barat and Example. Good mix there.

Good job Iron Maiden aren't on Otis as they'd be singing " Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter. " You'd be a bag of nerves !

Otis

Yeah, true.

I'm just not a fan of 'rock' at all really, though that of course is a very generalised term. I love the Foo Fighters, but for me, for the most part, they stay just on the right side of rock with a few exceptions. I really don't care at all for Wheels and Long Road to Ruin, which I consider middle of the road rock. I do however love Everlong, My Hero, Word Forward and Pretender, which I think are all great songs.

Muse too stay just on the right side of rock. Queens of the Stone Age too I would say.

The sort of bands I am into tend to be more indie, Eels, Elbow, Muse, Foo Fighters, Polyphonic Spree, Ben Folds and then punk with the likes of the Clash, Pistols, Buzzcocks, Ramones and then the greats such as Bowie and the Beatles and Beach Boys and Small Faces and Kinks etc.

When punk came out I destroyed just about every rock record I had. The likes of Queen and Supertramp and Yes and King Crimson. For me punk blew everything out of the water.

On the main stage last night was Tom Williams and it was the exact type of safe rock I really do not care for and I found it incredibly bland.

Each to their own though and I do think it is important we get a good mix at the festival, so not at all complaining that the Darkness are playing. They're just someone I will avoid at all costs when they are on. My go for the ska in the Rhythm Tent.

Grendel

The Darkness are the only decent band they've had there. They'd have to pay me to watch most of it.

bringbackrattles

My sons workmate is going today to see the Killers at Hyde Park Elbow support band. Both good bands but not top of my must watch list.

Otis

The Darkness are the only decent band they've had there. They'd have to pay me to watch most of it.

This year, or in general?
Each and every to their own like I say and wasn't there a rock tent last night? Main stage was Cast and Stranglers, but in the Rhythm Tent it was all rock. Would that not have appealed to you at all?

Johnnythespider

Weren't they set up as a bit of a pastiche of glam rock, sort of a joke band. To be fair I only know 2 of their songs, being their hit and that Christmas song they did. Definitely not the only decent band they've had there, the Stranglers were very good last night for example, the middle section of Walk on by was sublime.

Otis

If you can get past the high pitchefd warbling, the songs are actually pretty good straight ahead rock, with the odd Queen influence.

The guitarist is shit hot, too. Vastly underrated as much because of the image of the band I'd say.
Yep and I've only ever thought of them as a Spinal Tap type band too.

On the whole I loathe guitar solos and I have a particular dislike for falsetto vocals too (I do allow Matt Bellamy and Brian Wilson to get away with it on occasion).

But surely the rock night last night would have been ideal wouldn't it for anyone of that ilk and persuasion?

Grendel

Weren't they set up as a bit of a pastiche of glam rock, sort of a joke band. To be fair I only know 2 of their songs, being their hit and that Christmas song they did. Definitely not the only decent band they've had there, the Stranglers were very good last night for example, the middle section of Walk on by was sublime.

Only the same as AC/DC in the sense that the lyrics are full of absurd double entendres and utter nonsense. The musical content was always genuine rock - the first album especially - and the combination was pretty effective.

Covstu

Never heard of CB or example!

Captain Dart

Just dug out my copy of that, on a promo single given free with 'Black & White' album the other side was something about tits, not quite so impressive. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
upload_2017-7-8_13-12-14.png

Otis

Never heard of CB or example!
Carl Barat formerly of the Libertines .

Example is house music. Not really my thing either, but hey it's a festival of diversity and obviously the same can be found at Glastonbury albeit on a much larger scale.

Johnnythespider

If you can get past the high pitchefd warbling, the songs are actually pretty good straight ahead rock, with the odd Queen influence.

The guitarist is shit hot, too. Vastly underrated as much because of the image of the band I'd say.
Fair points NW, as I say I haven't heard enough material to judge them as a band. My post was more in reply to the assumption that they are the only decent band at the festival, which I think is plainly not the case. I'm sure there will be plenty of people turn up to listen to them and enjoy their performance.

Johnnythespider

A slight moan now but I think something needs to be done to improve the service at the bars, if they are not going to allow people to take their own drink in, you really shouldn't have to then spend the entire Cast set 10 deep at the bar waiting to get a beer.

bringbackrattles

A slight moan now but I think something needs to be done to improve the service at the bars, if they are not going to allow people to take their own drink in, you really shouldn't have to then spend the entire Cast set 10 deep at the bar waiting to get a beer.

As I'm going on Sunday hopefully it won't be so bad trying to get served !

Covstu

Carl Barat formerly of the Libertines .

Example is house music. Not really my thing either, but hey it's a festival of diversity and obviously the same can be found at Glastonbury albeit on a much larger scale.
I think generally the Friday has been the music that has attracted me the most, bit of nostalgia but good quality also. To be honest I go for the day out, kid free later on but we may knock the festival on the head and go into town. I always enjoys a nice relaxed Sunday day also.
There is also always a good SKA showing

Users who are viewing this thread