Godiva (1 Viewer)

Covstu

A slight moan now but I think something needs to be done to improve the service at the bars, if they are not going to allow people to take their own drink in, you really shouldn't have to then spend the entire Cast set 10 deep at the bar waiting to get a beer.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
The stage bar is always easier to get served

Otis

Anyone heard of a stabbing today?

Rumours going round that it happened just a little while ago, but I am particularly disbelieving and suspicious of any rumour.

My daughter's best friend is round and we were at the festival. Now her dad has rang me up to make sure she is safe saying there has just been a stabbing.

Cannot see anything on the CT site and when you type into Google nowt comes up. Now if this was 2 hours ago you would have thought it would be all over the net by now.

Annoying me a tad now too because this friend is now saying she is scared. What? We are back home and been back home for ages. We saw no stabbing and they were never ever under any threat whatsoever while we were there.

How can you be scared about something that happened after you left and that you didn't see?

That's like me coming back from the Ricoh after a game and hearing someone was stabbed at the game and my then being scared whilst back home watching tv on the sofa.

Maybe it's true, but I do hate rumours and mountains out of molehills are nearly always made.

Covstu

Didn't hear anything although I did see a very drunk girl (or I think she was) being dragged out by St. John's!

Good day yesterday, tom from the enemy was excellent

LastGarrison

A slight moan now but I think something needs to be done to improve the service at the bars, if they are not going to allow people to take their own drink in, you really shouldn't have to then spend the entire Cast set 10 deep at the bar waiting to get a beer.

I would love to put a tender in to run the bars for next year. Whoever ran it this year lost out on a fortune. A couple of simple fixes:

1) Make every pint £5. In the grand scheme of things 30p makes no difference to anyone. It's easier for the bar staff to add up, most people pay by notes, no waiting for change.
2) Pre pour loads of pints rather than waiting for people to order them.
3) Employ more bar staff.
4) Have another bar.

Got to say it did taint it slightly for me and the number of people stood at the bar when they should have been watching the acts was ridiculous.

Saying that.........great day. And will be back up there later to shake this hangover off.

clint van damme

I would love to put a tender in to run the bars for next year. Whoever ran it this year lost out on a fortune. A couple of simple fixes:

1) Make every pint £5. In the grand scheme of things 30p makes no difference to anyone. It's easier for the bar staff to add up, most people pay by notes, no waiting for change.
4) Have another bar.

Got to say it did taint it slightly for me and the number of people stood at the bar when they should have been watching the acts was ridiculous.

Saying that.........great day. And will be back up there later to shake this hangover off.

when you say lost out on a fortune do you mean actually lost money or could have made a lot more?

Grendel

Yeah, totally agree with that.

Been some great bands at the Godiva over the years and from all genres.

My point is they are the biggest band to be attracted to such a small gig in real terms - they were at download not that long ago. Their first album alone sold 3 million copies.

Covstu

4) Have another bar.

It was irritating and the pints they poured were usually the wrong ones. I seen a shit load of bitter sitting there going flat.

no_loyalty

Rumours going round that it happened just a little while ago, but I am particularly disbelieving and suspicious of any rumour.

My daughter's best friend is round and we were at the festival. Now her dad has rang me up to make sure she is safe saying there has just been a stabbing.

Cannot see anything on the CT site and when you type into Google nowt comes up. Now if this was 2 hours ago you would have thought it would be all over the net by now.

Annoying me a tad now too because this friend is now saying she is scared. What? We are back home and been back home for ages. We saw no stabbing and they were never ever under any threat whatsoever while we were there.

How can you be scared about something that happened after you left and that you didn't see?

That's like me coming back from the Ricoh after a game and hearing someone was stabbed at the game and my then being scared whilst back home watching tv on the sofa.

Maybe it's true, but I do hate rumours and mountains out of molehills are nearly always made.

Didn't hear about a stabbing, but lots of gangs up there fighting and lots of teenagers falling about the place pissed up, a little bit upsetting for my 8 yr old daughter

chiefdave

Didn't hear about a stabbing, but lots of gangs up there fighting and lots of teenagers falling about the place pissed up, a little bit upsetting for my 8 yr old daughter
Lots of comments on social media about trouble and drug use but can't see anything confirming a stabbing.

Not sure Example is the best booking for a supposedly family friendly event.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Glass all over the place up there at 9 this morning, bottles thrown against the the various frames in the kids playing area shattering in the sand etc.

Hope they're proud of themselves, first time I've ever left the usually fantastic memorial park due to feeling unsafe for myself and my son due to the glass!

Also some very boozed up people in there still effing and blinding all at 9am.

clint van damme

Semantics but yeah they could have made a lot more.

we were saying the same thing.
Been to a couple of similar event, Wireless in Hyde Park for example, where they have a queue system where the front of the queue is about 10 yards away from the bar a a guy ushering people from the front of the queue to the least congested areas of the bar.
Dead easy to get served and consequently spent a lot more money, everyone's a winner!

I think this is the worse the bars have ever been at the Godiva, don't know whether there have been bigger crowds or not.

Captain Dart

Captain Dart

FYI
Police make Godiva knife arrest amid reports of disorder

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Went last night and have to say that it was a chav fest. Not just kids but pissed up adults with kids running riot. Go every year but last night was by far the most intimidating. Time to start chrging an entry fee i think.

Agree even £5 a day for £10 for the weekend.

I suppose it'll lose the 'biggest free festival' tag which I think would be seen as more important.

clint van damme

Went last night and have to say that it was a chav fest. Not just kids but pissed up adults with kids running riot. Go every year but last night was by far the most intimidating. Time to start chrging an entry fee i think.

think it's more to do with line up than cost.
Been to major festivals that charge nearly £200 per ticket who have had problems when the line up goes a bit more urban.
It still hasn't got a patch on the old Cov carnival for violent disorder!

Grendel

Mcbean

Went Friday - loved it - Stranglers were great - the singer has changed but made a solid performance - Cast ok as well and a 4 piece Girls band in the Rythm tent were very entertaining - very Sioux Sue ( her with the black ballet dress on - great fun) - yea Bars a challenge with the Qs- gave up once and had to go again when the band was on - we were in - in a Jiffy by car around 7.30 - would pay happily - saw no trouble - a few very pissed people - where do they get the money ?

shmmeee

Just got back from going up with the kids, went int he Rhythm tent a bit for some Ska band, Kingsize I think, they were good. Listened to whoever was on the main stage for a bit but my 2 year old fell asleep and I had to get her back to her pushchair. Is it me, or did there used to be more tents? It seemed to just be those two (Rhythm and Main) and one other with a bunch of school bands and the like in it. I swear a few years ago there were 4 or 5 music tents, plus comedy and the like. Maybe I'm imagining it.

Think from the sounds of it I'll stick to Sundays with the kids in future, unless there's someone I really want to see and I can get childcare.

Overall, not as good as it used to be, but better than I feared.

Otis

Glass all over the place up there at 9 this morning, bottles thrown against the the various frames in the kids playing area shattering in the sand etc.

Hope they're proud of themselves, first time I've ever left the usually fantastic memorial park due to feeling unsafe for myself and my son due to the glass!

Also some very boozed up people in there still effing and blinding all at 9am.
Yeah and that's just the bands!!

Otis

We saw the 100 youths. I guessed at 50, but my daughter said about 100.

We saw about 3 or 4 kids run out of the fair and then about 6 or 7 seconds later about 100 kids piled out of the fair chasing them, girls included. I would say they were predominantly about 14-15 years old and mainly black kids.

What on earth were up to 100 kids doing all meeting up the fair at the same time. Hardly all going to get on the dodgems together are they!

Sad to see girls at it too because I just think that spurs the boys on to be all macho and impress them with their prowess and bravery and of course 100/1 is all very brave and not at all cowardly is it.

Little scumbags.

Johnnythespider

4) Have another bar.

Agree with a lot of this, I can't understand why there are so many links in the chain. You get to the bar and are then asked what you want, you give your order, they tell you how much and take your money, they take the money to a till and tell another person operating the till what you have ordered, the person behind the till then says how much and takes the money, they open the till and give any change due to the bar staff, they then bring your drinks and change. Why not get the person operating the till pouring pints and let the rest operate like a normal pub bar.

no_loyalty

Just got back from Godiva, today's event was much better than yesterday (didn't see any trouble today), the Darkness were absolute class, my dad who is 76 was not impressed with Kate Nash's continuous use of the 'F' word, and thought the song dick head was atrocious

Grendel

My two oldest went to see the Darkness having never bothered with the Godiva before. The draw of a known band attracted them.

They were really impressed. Hawkins voice even given the obvious acoustic limitations was apparantly fantastic. The stage performance was outstanding and they came home well enthused. One is looking to get some tickets on the tour.

Let's get some equally decent bands again please. Yes apparantly Kate Nash was garbage.

steve82

Just got back from going up with the kids, went int he Rhythm tent a bit for some Ska band, Kingsize I think, they were good. Listened to whoever was on the main stage for a bit but my 2 year old fell asleep and I had to get her back to her pushchair. Is it me, or did there used to be more tents? It seemed to just be those two (Rhythm and Main) and one other with a bunch of school bands and the like in it. I swear a few years ago there were 4 or 5 music tents, plus comedy and the like. Maybe I'm imagining it.

Think from the sounds of it I'll stick to Sundays with the kids in future, unless there's someone I really want to see and I can get childcare.

Overall, not as good as it used to be, but better than I feared.

SKA music was class, family enjoyed it too having previously ripped my musical preferences. So much so they ditched Lucy Spraggan and did some stompin in the tent

Otis

Just got back from Godiva, today's event was much better than yesterday (didn't see any trouble today), the Darkness were absolute class, my dad who is 76 was not impressed with Kate Nash's continuous use of the 'F' word, and thought the song dick head was atrocious
I really liked the song Foundations, but today I watched the first song and thought it was awful, so we left then and went home. A world apart from her earlier stuff. Not sure if the whole set was like that.

We had a great time, going all 3 days, but next year I have said to my daughter to leave the fair out until Sunday and just do the festival. The atmosphere around the fair with all the gangs and groups on a Saturday is very oppressive and menacing.

Otis

And as for the Darkness, wouldn't they have been better on Friday night? Would have thought on family day (Sunday) it should be a bit more poppie perhaps. Something a bit more universal.

I thought Badfinger were pretty good today to be honest and was thinking that sort of thing, though they are far too ancient for many to even know who they are.

Rock bands and indie headliners should be for Friday and Saturday nights. Keep Sunday just a tad lighter. The ska thing was perfect I would say and someone like Tilbrook and Difford, that sort of thing.

Otis

Some band with a good back catalogue of hits that can be sung along to and have more universal appeal.

Users who are viewing this thread