Gyokeres Deal Details (1 Viewer)

Greggs

Hasn't this been done to death? How much longer do you want to keep discussing it? Let's move on.
To be fair, it's a story that's going to be told for the rest of the supporters lifetimes, it was that meaningful. But, I imagine in 10 - 20 years time it will become far more graphic - with Dabo getting booed on his way up whilst their keeper was smoking a cigar leaning against the post.

Saddlebrains

Theres a few mumbles on twitter about this so thought id ask my source who is still in contact with Vik they were very close.....

Do not be surprised to see him in an Arsenal shirt soon all being well

wingy

To be fair, it's a story that's going to be told for the rest of the supporters lifetimes, it was that meaningful. But, I imagine in 10 - 20 years time it will become far more graphic - with Dabo getting booed on his way up whilst their keeper was smoking a cigar leaning against the post.
Unless Doug's true to his word and it becomes an irrelevance?

The Philosopher

Theres a few mumbles on twitter about this so thought id ask my source who is still in contact with Vik they were very close.....

Do not be surprised to see him in an Arsenal shirt soon all being well
I wonder what the odds on Vik getting an English Premier League winners medal 2024 are? Would he play enough games to qualify for one?

shmmeee

Misguided arrogance? He's a footballer putting himself forward for his team. Shit management? Where has this confidence in McFadz or Bidwell come from!?

I am sure that penalties would've been practiced in the build up to that game, and I'm sure our lineup would have been fairly set - but we lost 2-3 would be penalty takers in Allen, Palmer and Hamer.

We lost the penalty shootout, people should move on and accept there's not too much influence on it the manager could've had on the outcome. Penalty shootouts are often won by the team shooting first 60-70% (a real statistic) of the time and losing the coin toss puts you at a disadvantage.

So you’re saying it’s Kelly’s fault?

itsabuzzard

I get that it was a huge "so near yet so far" moment, but after getting over the crushing disappointment, I was left with nothing but admiration for MR and all of the players for one of the best seasons I've had the pleasure of following in my 60-odd years. I'd rather look ahead to the prospect of giving Brum a rogering on Friday and the possibility of MR bringing in the players next month who might, just might, produce a push for another tilt at the play-offs.

Greggs

I get that it was a huge "so near yet so far" moment, but after getting over the crushing disappointment, I was left with nothing but admiration for MR and all of the players for one of the best seasons I've had the pleasure of following in my 60-odd years. I'd rather look ahead to the prospect of giving Brum a rogering on Friday and the possibility of MR bringing in the players next month who might, just might, produce a push for another tilt at the play-offs.
I've followed them for 30 years and it was the worst thing I've ever experienced, a close 2nd was a the riot at Maine Road when I was about 10. I praise you for taking positivity from such a negative situation, but fuck me it was horrible. I once heard its one of the best days or one of the worst days of your life, I didn't believe it, I do now. I'm still not over it, it's a very fresh wound - and after the failure of progression this term the scab hasn't even formed yet.
Allow people to get frustrated, Gareth Southgate was ridiculed for years, but he's doing alright for himself now.

Greggs

I've followed them for 30 years and it was the worst thing I've ever experienced, a close 2nd was a the riot at Maine Road when I was about 10. I praise you for taking positivity from such a negative situation, but fuck me it was horrible. I once heard its one of the best days or one of the worst days of your life, I didn't believe it, I do now. I'm still not over it, it's a very fresh wound - and after the failure of progression this term the scab hasn't even formed yet.
Allow people to get frustrated, Gareth Southgate was ridiculed for years, but he's doing alright for himself now.
Fucking hell, this weed I'm smoking makes me sound all intelligent. I'm off to shit in an empty crisp packet.

wingy

Was that the cup game?

wingy

Snap but my experience was the 3-1 to us with Bodaks late goal supplied by Butterworth with him running half the pitch then I got whacked on the way back to the car 8 stitches in the bonce made it tight to get back and make MOTD.

Cally Fedora

Watching us lose a shoot out at Wembley was painful. But I’ve stood on the Spion Kop watching us lose in the Simod Cup to Ipswich in -5 degrees with Lloyd McGrath breaking his leg and it started to rain. It was still a good day at Wembley however it finished!

shmmeee

TBF Southgate still gets ridiculed. Just not about his pen.

mmttww

You can shade it however you want, the bottom line is simple. We had a player take a penalty that wasn't good enough to take one. He shouldn't have been anywhere near it. He missed, didn't even hit the target, and Luton got promoted to the Premier League. We lost out.
FFS

We weren't good enough in 90 mins.

We were lucky to get to ET.

We scored five really good penalties.

Likely takers injured (Hamer, Palmer).

Looking for a scapegoat is just a LOL.

You seem unable to accept a loss.

The Philosopher

FFS

Don’t think anyone is blaming Dabo, he went up and took the kick. That’s brave doing so.

It’s also brave to be able to say no sometimes, but that’s a different story.

I think the irk that some have is why he went up ahead of more fancied takers. Yes, our “best” takers had done their bit or were injured.

Look, when Southgate blew the final against Italy, he put Kane, Maguire then 3 kids in the order. Madness. I said at the time (can be checked) why put kids in such a situation? Maguire might not be the most technically gifted striker of the ball but his self confidence is hardly lacking.

Dabo looked shot of confidence and had done for a while. He also had no idea if he was on the retained contract list or not. It’s a huge amount of pressure on anyone.

If’s and buts are a waste of time but I think many fans, if asked to list the order given who was on the pitch, would not have put Dabo as first in the sudden death.

Robins, like Southgate, made a strange decision.

No one is perfect.

Let’s leave it now.

donald_trumps

The astonishing thing is if we get £15m from the Gyokeres deal then even after all the spending in the summer, we may have more to spend in January.

mmttww

Dabo looked shot of confidence.
This is the sh*t that's doing my head in and to hear it being wheeled out half a season later is nuts. Every taker, with Vik as a possible exception, looked like they wanted to die.

MR and the squad could have spent a week in a bunker, studying all penalties ever taken, and practicing pens with fan abuse piped-in at crushing volume for 10 hours a day, and Vik would be just as likely to have skied his pen than score it.

Like others have pointed out, the team taking first starts with a huge advantage. Team that chooses their own end gets a huge advantage. This is reality. Not "what if..." boll*cks. Doesn't need to be blame. Sh*t happens. Weird entitlement.

shmmeee

This is the sh*t that's doing my head in and to hear it being wheeled out half a season later is nuts. Every taker, with Vik as a possible exception, looked like they wanted to die.

MR and the squad could have spent a week in a bunker, studying all penalties ever taken, and practicing pens with fan abuse piped-in at crushing volume for 10 hours a day, and Vik would be just as likely to have skied his pen than score it.

Like others have pointed out, the team taking first starts with a huge advantage. Team that chooses their own end gets a huge advantage. This is reality. Not "what if..." boll*cks. Doesn't need to be blame. Sh*t happens. Weird entitlement.

How did we end up second and in front of their fans? Was it two coin tosses?

skybluegod

I wonder what the odds on Vik getting an English Premier League winners medal 2024 are? Would he play enough games to qualify for one?

Would only have to make 5 appearances to be eligible...
Although arsenal will bottle it and man city/Liverpool will win 20 on the bounce in the new year I'm sure 😂

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

FFS

We weren't good enough in 90 minutes so just accept the loss? That is a very strange take and doesn't counter any of the points I made.

It came down to a penalty kick, and we had someone go forward that most of the stadium knew would miss. He did, and it gifted them the promotion. Can you not see why that is a frustration? It doesn't mean anyone's life is over, but given this is a Coventry City discussion forum, surely we can talk about it without people being babies. You seem to be one getting very sensitive about it.

Oh, and your post reads like a set of song lyrics.

shmmeee

We weren't good enough in 90 minutes so just accept the loss? That is a very strange take and doesn't counter any of the points I made.

It came down to a penalty kick, and we had someone go forward that most of the stadium knew would miss. He did, and it gifted them the promotion. Can you not see why that is a frustration? It doesn't mean anyone's life is over, but given this is a Coventry City discussion forum, surely we can talk about it without people being babies. You seem to be one getting very sensitive about it.

But what’s your counterfactual? Bidwell goes up and misses? Fadz goes up and misses?

We could just as easily blame Wilson for failing to save one of multiple attempts. Football does work like that. Just like Godden didn’t cost us a point last week cos we have no idea how Ipswich would have responded.

You’re trying to control the uncontrollable and retcon some great insight about Dabo not being the right person. Bidwell had taken three in his career the last five years ago and he missed. As far as I can tell Fadz has taken one in his career and missed it.

There’s no evidence either way. It is what it is.

mmttww

Not what I said, which was pretty much the opposite. Lots of reasons for people to stop thinking like this...

It came down to a penalty kick, and we had someone go forward that most of the stadium knew would miss.

It didn't. Luton were the better team over the season, and the one before that. They were better almost all game.

"Most of the stadium knew he would miss" is balls. Everyone around me said that about every pen besides Vik.

Edit: unless all these people are Vulcans or something and time isn't linear to them, or the SBA are all clairvoyents.

He did, and it gifted them the promotion. Can you not see why that is a frustration?

No - it didn't. Ben Wilson making no saves, us being largely sh*t all game incl. ET, losing a coin toss all added up.

I can see why getting that far and missing out is a frustration. What I won't let slide is people's fixation on blame.

but given this is a Coventry City discussion forum, surely we can talk about it without people being babies.

Yep, and I'd argue the obsession with finding someone to blame is the definition of childish.

A mature mindset understands that Dabo missed, that we lost, that lots of things explain that, and moves on.

You seem to be one getting very sensitive about it.

People rounding on a man with the guts to take that pen when others didn't pisses me off, so I'll call bullsh*t.

and Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread