Hate the Olympics thread! (1 Viewer)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Getting SICK and TIRED of these f**kin' olympics!! Friday night. We wanna sit and relax to watch a film. Can't find a decent one! Why? Wall to wall bloody olympics! The BBC have added about 26 channels for them, so why do they fill BBC1 with them? They've been on all fookin' day and now they are showing "Olympic Highlights" till midnight! Grrrrr! Can't wait till the closing ceremony!

dutchman

My biggest gripe is that the BBC news bulletins and BBC News channel are almost completely filled with Olympic reports in spite of the continuous coverage on other BBC channels. What's the point of that?

Otis

Funnily enough I have gone the other way.

Wasn't particularly bothered about them but have now been caught up in the whole thing and have ended up watching sports I usually don't even like or have never seen before. I have been watching sailing, judo, handball, volleyball, shooting, basketball, cycling, swimming and even gymnastics.

Have to say I have thoroughly enjoyed it. This is our Olympics and it is a different animal entirely I find.

Surpassed my wildest expectations.

flammablepiss

Facebook User
I've used my 1 month free LoveFilm trial on ps3 to help aid me through.

Houchens Head

Funnily enough I have gone the other way.

Wasn't particularly bothered about them but have now been caught up in the whole thing and have ended up watching sports I usually don't even like or have never seen before. I have been watching sailing, judo, handball, volleyball, shooting, basketball, cycling, swimming and even gymnastics.

Have to say I have thoroughly enjoyed it. This is our Olympics and it is a different animal entirely I find.

Surpassed my wildest expectations.

It's all Government brain-washing Otis! It's just to make you feel it was worth all that money! (See The "Ipcress File") :D

Houchens Head

My biggest gripe is that the BBC news bulletins and BBC News channel are almost completely filled with Olympic reports in spite of the continuous coverage on other BBC channels. What's the point of that?

Other news has been completely over-looked. There are some horric stories coming out of Syria but hey, let's talk about some geek on a pushbike! :jerkit:

Marty

Other news has been completely over-looked. There are some horric stories coming out of Syria but hey, let's talk about some geek on a pushbike! :jerkit:

It's a major sporting event that only comes round once every 4 years, you can find Syria bombing the shit out of their own people any day of the week. :whistle: It's on BBC 1 for people who don't have digital TV yet I suppose. I thought it was a complete waste of money and wasn't looking forward to it at all, but now it's here, I'm watching anything and everything, I'm looking into joining a handball team which I never would have tried if I didn't random flick onto it and there's plenty of nice 'birds' to look at.

Macca

It's a major sporting event that only comes round once every 4 years, you can find Syria bombing the shit out of their own people any day of the week. :whistle: It's on BBC 1 for people who don't have digital TV yet I suppose. I thought it was a complete waste of money and wasn't looking forward to it at all, but now it's here, I'm watching anything and everything, I'm looking into joining a handball team which I never would have tried if I didn't random flick onto it and there's plenty of nice 'birds' to look at.

Funnily enough i had a random flick whilst watching the heptathlon tonight

Becksy

Getting SICK and TIRED of these f**kin' olympics!! Friday night. We wanna sit and relax to watch a film. Can't find a decent one! Why? Wall to wall bloody olympics! The BBC have added about 26 channels for them, so why do they fill BBC1 with them? They've been on all fookin' day and now they are showing "Olympic Highlights" till midnight! Grrrrr! Can't wait till the closing ceremony!

Once in a lifetime the Olympics are in the UK and you want to watch a film? You need to get out more.

flammablepiss

Facebook User
Once in a lifetime the Olympics are in the UK and you want to watch a film? You need to get out more.

Some people might not be interested though, I would rather choose the media that I watch. In fact most people are not "REALLY" passionate about the Olympic games. Funny how people are more than happy to all of a sudden get behind obscure sports like shot-put and ping-pong as soon as it is advertised and hyped beyond all recognition. I tend not not hop aboard the moral bandwagon.... but it is a sad state of affairs when humanity turns its back on the suffering of others for the sake of their society conditioned minds. I'm not saying don't enjoy it... just look at the wider picture once in a while.

Last edited:

Becksy

Some people might not be interested though, I would rather choose the media that I watch. In fact most people are not "REALLY" passionate about the Olympic games. Funny how people are more than happy to all of a sudden get behind obscure sports like shot-put and ping-pong as soon as it is advertised and hyped beyond all recognition. I tend not not hop aboard the moral bandwagon.... but it is a sad state of affairs when humanity turns its back on the suffering of others for the sake of their society conditioned minds. I'm not saying don't enjoy it... just look at the wider picture once in a while.

I'm a "news freak" I need to know whats going on in the world so never turn my back on global incidents but this doesn't affect my enjoyment or appreciation of the Olympics and the dedication of the athletes involved.

AlexJohnson93

I haven't seen any of the so called lesser sports hyped or advertised at all. People are getting behind sports like Handball, Judo and Water Polo because they've never seen them before and actually enjoy them.

ajsccfc

The BBC is the only channel that carries the Olympic coverage. At the very most, that's 40% of your channel selection if both terrestrial channels are running it together (I don't know if anyone still has only the five channels any more)

The idea that someone watching Olympic judo is somehow turning their back on real issues is desperate. What are you doing whining on the internet while homeless people are suffering?

Paxman II

Give us a break....it's the Olympics. Enjoy the spectacle that it is and take a look at those winning athletes just to see what it means.
It also has plenty of patriotism for Gb which may wake a few deadbeats up!

AngryAnt

26.9million people watched the opening ceremony, that was 82% of the television viewers that night, you can't sniff at that.

I'm like some others on here, thought the olmypics were a waste of time and was looking forward to being out of the country when they happened (turns out i got my dates wrong, i was a month early). I'm pretty glad i'm here for them now and have been watching alot of them. The more i watch them the more i notice that this really is a once in a lifetime for the UK... The UK may not be around for much longer in its current form and these already have been a great games.
Infact i'm considering buying a last min ticket to some of the events/closing ceremony (cheapest offically online was £20 for an event).

--
Handball is a weird sport, in the sense that it is MASSIVE in the rest of Europe and yet never took off here, maybe because we didn't invent the rules, but its huge everywhere from Norway/Sweden to France, going around us and missing us out. Hopefully after watching it along with many others, we might actually start playing it :).

Otis

Keep telling my little one that it's a once in a lifetime experience and to embrace the games.

We are both really enjoying the whole thing.

And Houch, I have seen The Ipcress File and done so several times.

Have tried the nail thing but it just doesn't work and the Olympics still has me in its spell. :D

Houchens Head

26.9million people watched the opening ceremony, that was 82% of the television viewers that night, you can't sniff at that.

All I can say is thank fook I was one of the 18% of un-brainwashed people who don't actually give a shit about synchronised drowning, ping-pong, bmx kiddy bikes, handball, volleyball, fook-all! THEY'RE NOT SPORTS FFS!!!!! :mad:

Houchens Head

Give us a break....it's the Olympics. Enjoy the spectacle that it is and take a look at those winning athletes just to see what it means.
It also has plenty of patriotism for Gb which may wake a few deadbeats up!

You support Team GB if you want Pax. I'm a Paddy! :D

Houchens Head

Not Eire. I'm from Cork City. It's in the far South.

Houchens Head

The BBC is the only channel that carries the Olympic coverage. At the very most, that's 40% of your channel selection if both terrestrial channels are running it together (I don't know if anyone still has only the five channels any more)

The idea that someone watching Olympic judo is somehow turning their back on real issues is desperate. What are you doing whining on the internet while homeless people are suffering?

Strange you should say that Pal. I actually volunteer for Shelter and Age UK and my local hospital. What are your contributions to life? Sitting on your arse watching inane "sports"? Wanna look around for a big hole to swallow you?

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

My chief gripe is that most of the GB stars were not heard of before the Olympics and will be forgotten shortly after. We have an annoying tendency to go crazy about a sport for a few weeks a year (tennis is a great example) then largely ignore it the rest of the time. We then get dismayed in these few weeks if we don't sweep all before us and some are actually surprised. Hopefully it's different this time.

ajsccfc

Strange you should say that Pal. I actually volunteer for Shelter and Age UK and my local hospital. What are your contributions to life? Sitting on your arse watching inane "sports"? Wanna look around for a big hole to swallow you?

My post was in reply to this:

I tend not not hop aboard the moral bandwagon.... but it is a sad state of affairs when humanity turns its back on the suffering of others for the sake of their society conditioned minds. I'm not saying don't enjoy it... just look at the wider picture once in a while.

Which is massive bullshit.

As of course is your notion that people enjoying something you don't means they're 'brainwashed', or that sports you don't enjoy have no validity. Football, just a load of rich idiots booting leather around some grass yeah?

If you don't like or care about the Olympics that's fine, but when you and others start needling at people who do that's different.

Last edited:

Houchens Head

AJSCCFC:
You need to look at your last sentence, and then take a look at the title of the thread. It was for people who really don't give a shit about the olympics. You are the one who's needling people who are different. Just because we don't have the same inane interests as you, don't meddle with what we want say! Put your comments on a thread that actually supports the olympics! If there isn't one, I suggest you create one.

Nonleagueherewecome

I feel the same way about R5. Sure it's a sports network, but it's meant to be sport and news/current affairs. Switching the entire station over to The Olympics from dawn 'til 1am is a bit much. Especially when they bang on about their special "pop up" Olympics Special station-well, use that then! R4 is not always listenable!

My other rant is around the feeling that The Olympics is "sport for people who don't really like sport". The sort I saw in Leam clogging up the town centre when they had the Olympic Torch here were the worst specimen. They were generally either really posh or really chavvy and had an incredibly wide-eyed, provincial air (even for this one-horse town). Like extra's from an over-stereotypical episode of Midsommer Murders. They aren't into it because they like sport: these are people who like village fete's, Morris Dancing, waving their Team GB flags proudly and "getting behind the nation". They are the sort of people who buy into Cameron's "big society".

Bread and circuses: a big, fat white elephant, whilst the economy burns.

Does that justify a "rant over"? :D

ajsccfc

AJSCCFC:
You need to look at your last sentence, and then take a look at the title of the thread. It was for people who really don't give a shit about the olympics. You are the one who's needling people who are different. Just because we don't have the same inane interests as you, don't meddle with what we want say! Put your comments on a thread that actually supports the olympics! If there isn't one, I suggest you create one.

Fraid not. The thread title reads 'hate the olympics', not 'hate people who like the olympics'

People who have committed the terrible crime of watching sport on TV and in person have been accused of:

a) Being brainwashed - if people enjoy new sports thanks to catching them as part of Olympic coverage, they're enjoying them. That's it. They're not dribbling while in a trance. If it's a bad thing that people become interested in things they didn't care about, you must be mad with rage when people talk about getting their kids into football. Those poor, stupid brainwashed kids.

b) Not caring about general news outside the Olympics - I'd love to see this justified with any modicum of logic. Most people tend to be smart enough to multi-task, so they can watch the Olympics but still do other things like watch the news, use the toilet, breathe in and out in a regular rhythm.

c) Having 'inane' interests - 'Only the things I like have any merit!!!!' Nonsense.

I don't care if you hate the Olympics with all your might, but trying to lord it over people that enjoy them is bullshit.

Nonleagueherewecome

It'd be a news with 95% of the content comprising The Olympics, though! Naturally that means less coverage is given to news events due to the increased Olypics coverage during the news programme. Even 4 News and Newsnight are blighted by it. I'll just have to assume that less world events are taking place given that a fraction of the usual time is dedicated to reporting them..

Last edited:

Marty

All I can say is thank fook I was one of the 18% of un-brainwashed people who don't actually give a shit about synchronised drowning, ping-pong, bmx kiddy bikes, handball, volleyball, fook-all! THEY'RE NOT SPORTS FFS!!!!! :mad:

Deary me, surely on a wind up.

ccfctommy

You hear about Syria every day on the news, you still do.

The Olympics only go on for two weeks, you wan't to watch a film? Theres this think called a TV Guide and there is also this thing called a remote control. There are plenty of films and other things on.

Users who are viewing this thread