How's This Going To Help The English Game? (2 Viewers)

skyblueinBaku

To answer your question in the thread title, Torchy: It's not going to help the English game.

JohnWH

Just terrible push all around in my opinion.
To better foster "homegrown" talent, it needs a bottom-up solution, better academies, a funded pot of money from FA (because they Care so much apparently) to pay for more and better youth coaches. Put limits on numbers of premier league reservists so that good potential players will actually be picked up for first team duty for L1, L2, Conference or other competitive leagues instead of just being stuck in training camps for 3 or 4 years before ultimately being released by these big clubs and then they have no "experience" to sell themselves on the market.
Not this dumb shit idea of clogging up the pyramid system with reserve teams that have little appeal. The character and integrity of every team at all levels of the pyramid is at stake if this dumb shit idea actually makes it.
Has anyone from FA actually asked the Fans about this? Or is it just another power money grab from the elite teams to further the divide between themselves and the rest of England? Oh, because I forgot, sponsors and commercial interests only care about how many trophys and Champions League finals Manchester United can win. Remember, if Man U doesn't win the PL every year, one exec was quoted as saying it is "damaging to the PL brand."
The whole idea is just a huge disrespect to fans and to the game in general.

chiefdave

a funded pot of money from FA (because they Care so much apparently) to pay for more and better youth coaches.

Don't forget that it wasn't long ago the FL clubs were essentially forced to accept lower payments for young players or the PL would cut off their share of revenues so we're actually moving away from more money for lower clubs.

If this follows anything like Germany and Holland where this has been tried it's implementation will lead to a huge drop in attendances and TV money as fans just aren't interested in watching B teams and it will knock on to all the other clubs at a lower level who are playing them.

mark82

The B team thing will never happen. Surely fans will not allow this to happen. It will ruin the game at lower levels and will kill off many clubs. It will all but stop any teams coming up out of non league into the football league. There will never be another Hull, Fulham, Swansea or Wigan come up through the league's. This is a move designed purely for the big 5 or 6 clubs in the Premier league. This won't even really benefit those in the lower half of the prem. And who decides which B teams are allowed in to this new league as premier league clubs change year on year?

shmmeee

Free markets run to a monopoly. Then the monopoly powers pull up the ladder and entrench their position.

I blame Sky. Should've told the Premiership (including us) to fuck off when they wanted to break away.

mds

I think that got scrapped as clubs were moaning there was too many games they had to field a side for and the cost of running two sides wasn't sustainable!

Saw some cracking reserve games at HR, you used to get random top players pop up as they were on their way back from injury. Remember a bumper crowd one time we played Liverpool and they had a few top names coming back at the same time.

This could backfire badly, lower level clubs are struggling enough as it is, how many more will this kill off. You have to wonder how much more you can remove the game from the supporters before they give up and walk away.
If it was voluntary any team could register if they had the resources, any that thought it was too costly wouldn't/dosnt have to join, Newcastle and im sure a few others never ran a reserve team a few years ago.
If they can afford it they register if they cant they don't.
It is that simple!

chiefdave

It is that simple!

The problem started with the PL being formed and it's all gone from there. Wonder what the % of English / home nation players was in the last season of the old Division 1. They've created their own problem and are now going a really weird way about trying to fix it which can best be summed up as what can they do without having to give a share of their revenues away.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
What happens if we win the WC?...

Yes, I know we won't, but that would really fk over Dyke's plan! And anyway, England were really good in the 80's when there were very few foreign players...

ccfcway

Apparently 1994 was the year where we had the most English players in the top flight

We didnt even qualify for the world cup that year :facepalm:

SkyBlueM

Basically fuck all you lower league teams and your hundred years or so of history and tradition - more money for the top flight please.

Moff

Dyke is a cock of the highest order. I seem to remember the little weasel trying to plotting with the bigger clubs to get bags more cash than the smaller clubs when he was at ITV, and they had the football tv rights (for those not old enough, it was pre sky, when the Premier League was actually called League One, and we were in it)

The man is clueless and is just dazzled by the bigger clubs. Lets just screw everyone so Man City or Chelsea or Man Utd, can play a few token home grown palyers in a B side, but placate their other foreign stars by giving them a game. Stupid, stupid idea.

Its no suprise though look at the panel including Roy Hodgson, Glenn Hoddle, Rio Ferdinand and Danny Mills all of whom have little or no interest in the lower leagues.
Still at least we can all cheer when England get knocked out on penalties in the quarter final rather than the second round.

Ian1779

Dyke is a cock of the highest order. I seem to remember the little weasel trying to plotting with the bigger clubs to get bags more cash than the smaller clubs when he was at ITV, and they had the football tv rights (for those not old enough, it was pre sky, when the Premier League was actually called League One, and we were in it)

The man is clueless and is just dazzled by the bigger clubs. Lets just screw everyone so Man City or Chelsea or Man Utd, can play a few token home grown palyers in a B side, but placate their other foreign stars by giving them a game. Stupid, stupid idea.

Its no suprise though look at the panel including Roy Hodgson, Glenn Hoddle, Rio Ferdinand and Danny Mills all of whom have little or no interest in the lower leagues.
Still at least we can all cheer when England get knocked out on penalties in the quarter final rather than the second round.

Totally agree.. he also got taken apart on Talksport about an hour ago. The man is a fucking tool.

James Smith

It will end up like F1 where they just invent silly shite rules up.

And then the teams spend all their time and money developing ways round the rules.

idris65

So the big teams can rule the lower leagues as well. I don't think so. Dyke you really have no idea at all you fucking prick.

skybluebal

Money talks, not supporters. Until the supporters disappear it is only going to get worse. The FA/FL haven't a clue and their catchphrase of "real football for real fans" is the biggest joke of all.

idris65

we are already in enough shit without them implementing these proposals. If they did i'm sure it would finish us off.

RegTheDonk

He probably thinks his beloved Brentford will field a B team, now they've been promoted :jerkit:

Seriously though, this could drive a big stake through the hearts of L1 and below clubs.

I would HOPE that these clubs, and the "smaller" ones who are in the champ but may struggle, have some veto on any decisions.

I would also HOPE that the PFA, who are supposed to look at the welfare of all their members, encourage some kind of action if this daft idea gathers momentum.

wingy

He probably thinks his beloved Brentford will field a B team, now they've been promoted :jerkit:

Seriously though, this could drive a big stake through the hearts of L1 and below clubs.

I would HOPE that these clubs, and the "smaller" ones who are in the champ but may struggle, have some veto on any decisions.

I would also HOPE that the PFA, who are supposed to look at the welfare of all their members, encourage some kind of action if this daft idea gathers momentum.

Oddly enough ,Warburton his Coach/Manager down there Is up for this .:(

Sky Blue Harry H

Hi guys - joined the thread late and haven't read it all, so sorry if i'm going over old ground, but I can't stand the though of playing games against B team who don't have any fans following them - where's the excitement of us playing Norwich B away or a local derby at home (wherever that is) against West Brom B, who don't have any supporters- for me it will totally kill off any 'support' for the lower level of the leagues.....and as for Greg Dyke :slap:

wingy

Wish that Damien Collins guy was still chair of the depertment for Media and culture ,seemed to have a handle on matters where the Goliaths walk all over the Davids.

Ian1779

If they do it will probably be a repeat of the EPPP vote, if it doesn't go though no more money to League clubs.

In the document it apparently says that PL clubs should financially incentivise lower league clubs to push it through... in other words bribe them

ccfcway

there will be virtual zero away attendance from these B teams as well. Imagine CCFC v Hull B on a tuesday night at Sixfields

RegTheDonk

ccfcway

i dont get the non eu rule either.

No Non EU players outside the Prem.

So, does that mean now Fulham have been relegated, they need to release players like Rodellega for free ?

chiefdave

So, does that mean now Fulham have been relegated, they need to release players like Rodellega for free ?

It's non EU as thats all they can enforce. No doubt they will have to make an exception for players in relegated teams so they'll have another advantage over everyone else. Wouldn't less non-English players in the Prem be better? I'm struggling to see how having Moussa or Murphy playing for us is a problem for the England team.

Grendel

i dont get the non eu rule either.

I still believe this would be a restraint of trade. If a player has played a very high percent of internationals over a period of time it would be challenged.

Anyway Dyke is an opportunist fool. He is getting his day in the sun, ignore him and he will go away soon.

ccfcway

It's non EU as thats all they can enforce. No doubt they will have to make an exception for players in relegated teams so they'll have another advantage over everyone else. Wouldn't less non-English players in the Prem be better? I'm struggling to see how having Moussa or Murphy playing for us is a problem for the England team.

thats exactly what they will do, exceptions.

So many holes in their proposals.

Also Dyke said that the top league one teams wouldnt be the B teams, but clearly you couldnt have a 7th place team promoted

:facepalm:

Grendel

I think the one real concern is that they will eventually look a protectionism and create a premier one and two with no relegation from two.

It was championed before by some dubious chairmen, notably Phil Gartside. League one and two then would be feeder leagues. That's more a concern than this nonsense,

DaleM

I still believe this would be a restraint of trade. If a player has played a very high percent of internationals over a period of time it would be challenged.

Anyway Dyke is an opportunist fool. He is getting his day in the sun, ignore him and he will go away soon.

15284 posts later and YOU still ain't fucked off so why should Dyke ;)

Edit 15285

stupot07

It will also further drive up costs of English and EU players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Users who are viewing this thread