Match Thread Huddersfield (H) Mon 25/09 (1 Viewer)

BlueSkiesForever

Not looking for an argument, but you're contradicting yourself. If you removed your first paragraph it would make more sense.
No that’s fair, I’m never looking for an argument either, I just want us to play a lot better than we currently do.

I don’t feel like I’m contracting myself however, I’m just saying that if the EFL said “he’s 1 point completely free of charge” we’d all of course take it, but in terms of that game I’d rather we lost playing some experimental football - trying new formations out or players in different positions etc - than take 1 point playing the same old shitty football, learning nothing new about how to correct our style of play going forward. For instance, we know nothing about how to improve our game for the upcoming QPR fixture, we are currently just as lost as we were before the Huddersfield game. We are no closer to improving our team if we don’t try new ideas.

Offhegoes

The meltdowns on here are OTT as always. We have lost 3 big players in the last 10 days or so (Sheaf, Palmer & Van Ewijk). 2 of those could be argued to be our best players. We still have O'Hare to come back in the next month or so (also one of our best players).
We weren't great last night, but controlled the first half, and the subs in the 2nd half swung control back to us. Should of put the game to bed, but then conceded a silly last minute goal. It happens.

Boicey

The meltdowns on here are OTT as always. We have lost 3 big players in the last 10 days or so (Sheaf, Palmer & Van Ewijk). 2 of those could be argued to be our best players. We still have O'Hare to come back in the next month or so (also one of our best players).
We weren't great last night, but controlled the first half, and the subs in the 2nd half swung control back to us. Should of put the game to bed, but then conceded a silly last minute goal. It happens.
‘3 big players’. I suppose it’s all relative. But theve all played in several poor team performances this year.
COH is the wild card as per normal.
Will be bring our strikers to life?

BlueSkiesForever

I know the Godden-lovers will be up in arms again but I think he had another poor game last night, did almost nothing tbh. I saw him pointing around a lot and then not running into space with the rest of the team.

It’s definitely time we went back to the box, stick Simms up top, allow him to run on to some through balls (if we’re able to create them) and control the midfield a lot more with an extra midfielder.

Otis

Stop being rational!

Otis

I'd like to see what Robins plan B and plan C are. Yet again his unwillingness to change tactics when on the back foot has cost us.
He did changed it last night didn't he? 🤔 When Huddersfield were on top and seemed certain to score, he changed it. Brought two subs on and it turned the game back in our favour.

Last edited:

BlueSkiesForever

For about 15-20 minutes? Then we conceded. Nice going Robins. Couple of like-for-like substitutions doesn't classify as "tactical change".
Precisely, just changing 2 players without changing the formation or press or general play of the game means nothing, it’s just giving us fresh legs that’s all, anyone can come up with that idea.
Actual change in formation and new direction in terms of our style of play is what we need. We look complete directionless and seem to lack any ability to make incisive passes.
I’m not saying sack Robins btw, I’m just saying that he should realise that having one method of playing football with no back up ideas is not going to work in this well-contested league.

Grendel

He did changed it last night didn't he? 🤔 When Huddersfield were on top and seemed certain to score, he changed it. Brought two subs on and it turned the game back in our favour.

Allen did but with Simms off and Wright struggling we had little way to hold up the ball in forward positions.

Otis

For about 15-20 minutes? Then we conceded. Nice going Robins. Couple of like-for-like substitutions doesn't classify as "tactical change".
Eh? I don't get that at all. He changed it, it worked and we were literally about 15 seconds away from winning the game.

The last couple of token subs , sure, but when Huddersfield were completely dominating, Robins brough two subs on and it changed the game

It's irrefutable

Otis

Allen did but with Simms off and Wright struggling we had little way to hold up the ball in forward positions.
Yeah, I get that, but Simms had clearly tired, so it made sense to bring Wright on.

I do get it, it was Allen that made all the difference. But I think we have to give Robins some credit for that change, because it did change the game

Offhegoes

It did work, because we got on top again for the last 10-15 mins. This lead to the Thomas / Wright chance which 9/10 would iof been scored. Game over. The defending for the goal was awful but that's down to the individual players, Binks and Thomas were out of position for starters.

San Francisco

Eh? I don't get that at all. He changed it, it worked and we were literally about 15 seconds away from winning the game.

The last couple of token subs , sure, but when Huddersfield were completely dominating, Robins brough two subs on and it changed the game

It's irrefutable

It did work, because we got on top again for the last 10-15 mins. This lead to the Thomas / Wright chance which 9/10 would iof been scored. Game over. The defending for the goal was awful but that's down to the individual players, Binks and Thomas were out of position for starters.

Sure, though for all the money spent in the summer we still don't have a plan B and Robins has no desire make dynamic changes to his formation or tactics. We get sussed out as we did yesterday and then couldn't kill the game off.

fernandopartridge

Sure, though for all the money spent in the summer we still don't have a plan B and Robins has no desire make dynamic changes to his formation or tactics. We get sussed out as we did yesterday and then couldn't kill the game off.
What dynamic changes could have been made with the personnel we had available?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Otis

What dynamic changes could have been made with the personnel we had available?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Bench looked thin because of injuries. We are putting people on there who really won't be getting any game time, unless we are something like 4 nil up.

At least 3 kids last night wasn't it?

MikeyMoo

Wright came on and held up play well, assumingly as instructed. Allen came on and disrupted their midfield. So the two substitutions changed the game in our favour after Hudds had taken control of the match in the second half. Should Wright have scored? Yes, but. We should create more chances with the midfield possession we've got. Should Hudds have scored? No, but. We looked vulnerable on the counter all game, and at the end of the day the errors were made in defense. Again. 1) Sort the defense out. We've been here before, look at the first quarter season when we went up to this league. Robbins will get there. 2) Sort the midfield out. O'Hare will help, otherwise it's January transfer window action. 3) If you sort 1 and 2 out, I'm not sure 3) Sort the attack out is even an issue. Hope not anyway. But banging on about the strikers when we should have won games with the goals we did score seems to be misplaced anger. It's almost a whole new team, it's yet to gel, are we REALLY surprised by this? I'm sympathetic to the call to start with Simms and Wright though, at some point he needs to do this just to see what options we've got, and perhaps if we'd managed to win these games we'd already have seen it.

BlueSkiesForever

Wright came on and held up play well, assumingly as instructed. Allen came on and disrupted their midfield. So the two substitutions changed the game in our favour after Hudds had taken control of the match in the second half. Should Wright have scored? Yes, but. We should create more chances with the midfield possession we've got. Should Hudds have scored? No, but. We looked vulnerable on the counter all game, and at the end of the day the errors were made in defense. Again. 1) Sort the defense out. We've been here before, look at the first quarter season when we went up to this league. Robbins will get there. 2) Sort the midfield out. O'Hare will help, otherwise it's January transfer window action. 3) If you sort 1 and 2 out, I'm not sure 3) Sort the attack out is even an issue. Hope not anyway. But banging on about the strikers when we should have won games with the goals we did score seems to be misplaced anger. It's almost a whole new team, it's yet to gel, are we REALLY surprised by this? I'm sympathetic to the call to start with Simms and Wright though, at some point he needs to do this just to see what options we've got, and perhaps if we'd managed to win these games we'd already have seen it.
Agree with you on our issues, and yes Wright should have definitely scored, but whilst it’s easy to place blame on strikers not scoring (rightly so tbh) I think the main issue is our midfield. I think you’ve got numbers 1) and 2) the wrong way round personally, I think we need to sort the midfield-attack transition out first as that’s what’s costing us games atm. The defence conceded a really annoying goal but if we could actually pass the ball properly and create more chances then we would have put Huddersfield to bed 3-0 or 3-1 rather than drawing it.

Nick

Administrator

It's irrefutable

Then he brought 2 more on and they scored.

Otis

Then he brought 2 more on and they scored.
Yes, but that was a bit of a freak wasn't it. We had the game won and you usually throw a couple of subs on to kill some time and a bit of momentum.

We should have seen the game out anyway. We looked well in control as the game wound down and the goal just came from nowhere.

shmmeee

It’s a bit silly to complain we don’t have a plan B when the players are clearly still learning plan A

Sky Blue Harry H

Actual change in formation and new direction in terms of our style of play is what we need. We look complete directionless and seem to lack any ability to make incisive passes.

What would you have done, and who would you have brought on to make those incisive passes. Beforehand most were suggesting it should be Ayari doing this.

BlueSkiesForever

What would you have done, and who would you have brought on to make those incisive passes. Beforehand most were suggesting it should be Ayari doing this.
I was just making the point that we lack anyone that can make those sort of passes.
As for what I’d do, I’d change the formation to the box (long term would like to see 4-3-3 but won’t ever happen unfortunately), I’d have kept Simms on, took Godden off for Lati, put Lati in RWB, moved Saka to the top of the box next to Ayari, brought Allen on for Kelly, would have kept Dasilva on for the extra 5 mins and given Kitching a 10 minute cameo coming on for Binks/Thomas.

Users who are viewing this thread