Match Thread Huddersfield (H) Mon 25/09 (3 Viewers)

BlueSkiesForever

Tonight and Cardiff have shown us just how bad we can be, it’s properly demoralising tbh. We can keep the ball alright-ish but can’t do anything threatening with it. So much space in the midfield yet there’s no one playing in little pockets of space or running through channels.

I know it’s early days but I think back to the Leicester game and just wonder what’s gone wrong? We lost that game but we played as a united side who knew what they were doing, atm it feels like the more games we play the less united we become. I’m just properly properly disappointed tonight.

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

You also think we’ll be in a battle?
I have said that elsewhere on this thread, yes I do. This is the worst midfield we’ve had in this division full stop and what’s looking like the worst attack since our debut season. Palmer will not be missed but Sheaf and MVE really will with a very heavy fixture schedule between now and January. It is clearly not a happy camp either and as results get worse so will morale.

Beat QPR on Saturday and it papers over a few cracks but I don’t see us winning there frankly if we can’t see off Huddersfield at home.

Matt smith

I have said that elsewhere on this thread, yes I do. This is the worst midfield we’ve had in this division full stop and what’s looking like the worst attack since our debut season. Palmer will not be missed but Sheaf and MVE really will with a very heavy fixture schedule between now and January. It is clearly not a happy camp either and as results get worse so will morale.

Beat QPR on Saturday and it papers over a few cracks but I don’t see us winning there frankly if we can’t see off Huddersfield at home.
Apparently Milan isn’t as bad as first thought, think he said it on cwr

I’m going Saturday, yeah we’ll lose

fernandopartridge

Our best performers are all players from L1 and that should shame a bunch of multi million pound signings. Doesn’t change that those players often weren’t even first team last season so clearly shouldn’t be out stand out players this year. £20m spent or not.
Allen started 34 games last season and came on as sub 3 times. He was out injured otherwise. He basically made an appearance in every game he was available for.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

SkyBlueSoul

Just got home, still fuming. Not with the whole performance, just the result. I know it's petty as well, but it fucks me off when a fanbase sit on their hands for an entire game then give it the biggun when they snatch a late goal.

For the record not saying they shouldn't celebrate, of course they should. I'd have been going mental. But at least contribute something before that. Anyway, I need sleep before I reassess tomorrow.

skyblue025

Piss poor result. Huddersfield were shite. Wright misses from 2 yards and is then caught offside 3 times in 5 minutes. The 3rd time led to their goal along with the comedy defending of 4 or 5 players. Another 250 mile round trip down the shitter.

napolimp

Good first half where we were in total control, should have easily put the game to bed. Came back out after half time with a completely different attitude, although Simms had 3 early second half chances and should have done better.

Simms looked good and is only going to get better. I'm not a Godden hater, and he deserves his place, but he was anonymous tonight. He should have gone off instead of Simms, the sub didn't make any sense when Godden had no impact on the match.

Wright needs to be careful he doesn't self destruct his own career.

Eccles and Kelly don't have that transition pass in their locker, but looked good defensively.

Wing backs looked good.

I really feel like we should pick a back 3 and stick to it, rather than chopping and changing every game. That's how Fadz Doyle Mcnally came good.

Ayari did some good stuff but maybe could play deeper with O'hare/Palmer/Allen at 10?

The midfield looked better with Allen in it.

Matt smith

Onto QPR

sorry sbt, really frustrated as a Cov fan at the moment

I’ll be there Saturday to watch us get the 3 points

PUSB

pusbccfc

I'm surprised Robins didn't mention the boos or have a moan at the fans. He's done that plenty of times before.

Maybe he agrees with the anger?

Macca

Decided against posting last night as was so frustrated with the performance even before the equaliser. At least 3 points would have made up for it. First half was reasonable but with no end product. Second half embarrassing hanging on against a very very average team. Simms is the better bet up front but still needs to show more movement, Wright I’m still hugely puzzled about. We look worse in all areas of the pitch from last year and though there may be improvement, it’s a bottom half team at best

Sky Blue Pete

Decided against posting last night as was so frustrated with the performance even before the equaliser. At least 3 points would have made up for it. First half was reasonable but with no end product. Second half embarrassing hanging on against a very very average team. Simms is the better bet up front but still needs to show more movement, Wright I’m still hugely puzzled about. We look worse in all areas of the pitch from last year and though there may be improvement, it’s a bottom half team at best
Agree about the points
I don’t think we look worse all over the pitch

da silva better than Bidwell

It was very poor play from wright to be offside but we shouldn’t have been outnumbered in the box and Thomas should have bloody cleared the ball

Sick Boy

Yasin Ayari’s first goal for the Sky Blues helped to secure a point against Huddersfield Town at the Coventry Building Society Arena.

Ellis Simms unleashed a ferocious effort which was tipped onto the bar by Lee Nicholls and came off Ayari and went into the back of the net.

Ben Wilson produced some fine saves in the second half to help secure the points and keep a third clean sheet of the season.

Quality reporting from the club
City almost wrapped up all three points three minutes from time, but Lee Nicholls produced a stunning save to keep out Bobby Thomas.

However, Ayari’s first goal for the Club would prove to be enough, as City got back to winning ways against the Terriers.

But, late in the day, the Terriers levelled the game.

Macca

Agree about the points
I don’t think we look worse all over the pitch

da silva better than Bidwell

It was very poor play from wright to be offside but we shouldn’t have been outnumbered in the box and Thomas should have bloody cleared the ball

Not individual players necessarily but for me defensive looks less solid, midfield less penetrating and up front…. Well you know

Macca

I do wonder if at the time the strikers were brought in we were very confident that Gus was staying. Otherwise strange choice of style of forwards.

Ashdown

Very slim margins , 30 more seconds or so and a home win and 3 points and the forum posters trudge off to bed somewhat happier. My biggest concern is the fragility of a lot of players , Godden, Kelly, Sheaf, Ohare, Palmer, Fadz. ( only because of his age ) Allen, MVE……none of the above will do a full season. We need to find our best 11 as soon as possible and stick to it for a few games but it’s not going to happen until everyone is fit 🤷‍♂️

BlueSkiesForever

I’m stil not convinced 5 at the back works for us, I mentioned it a couple of games ago, look at all the best teams in the world (not saying we’re anywhere near that of course) hardly any of them play 5 at the back. It’s all 4-3-3 and you have to ask why is that?

Why are Man City and Liverpool and Arsenal and Barcelona and Bayern etc etc all playing with 4 at the back with one central striker? Maybe the best managers have figured out that if you have more defenders than attackers it’s hard to score goals.

I think Robins is a good manager but when it’s not working he never changes it up, that team sheet has been the same old shit every week (bar injuries) and every week it becomes clearer and clearer that it’s not working. The two striker thing isn’t working, the wingbacks can’t ever seem to put a decent cross in, the midfield is slow as fuck, the defenders still can’t defend when there’s 3 of them there. It’s getting beyond a joke now, there’s only so many weeks you can go on saying “give it time to gel” before it sounds like you’ve ran out of ideas.

The team sheet needs starting again and we need to seriously look at what our play style is because atm it’s score one weird, dodgy goal, try to hang on to a lead and then inevitably concede. Really really pissed off with that whole performance, even if we would have won 1-0 it wouldn’t have been anything to cheer about, it’s frankly embarrassing.

Brighton Sky Blue

Very slim margins , 30 more seconds or so and a home win and 3 points and the forum posters trudge off to bed somewhat happier. My biggest concern is the fragility of a lot of players , Godden, Kelly, Sheaf, Ohare, Palmer, Fadz. ( only because of his age ) Allen, MVE……none of the above will do a full season. We need to find our best 11 as soon as possible and stick to it for a few games but it’s not going to happen until everyone is fit 🤷‍♂️
Palmer needs moving on in January.

Brighton Sky Blue

I’m stil not convinced 5 at the back works for us, I mentioned it a couple of games ago, look at all the best teams in the world (not saying we’re anywhere near that of course) hardly any of them play 5 at the back. It’s all 4-3-3 and you have to ask why is that?

Why are Man City and Liverpool and Arsenal and Newcastle and Barcelona and Bayern etc etc all playing with 4 at the back with one central striker? Maybe the best managers have figured out that if you have more defenders than attackers it’s hard to score goals.

I think Robins is a good manager but when it’s not working he never changes it up, that team sheet has been the same old shit every week (bar injuries) and every week it becomes clearer and clearer that it’s not working. The two striker thing isn’t working, the wingbacks can’t ever seem to put a decent cross in, the midfield is slow as fuck, the defenders still can’t defend when there’s 3 of them there. It’s getting beyond a joke now, there’s only so many weeks you can go on saying “give it time to gel” before it sounds like you’ve ran out of ideas.

The team sheet needs starting again and we need to seriously look at what our play style is because atm it’s score one weird, dodgy goal, try to hang on to a lead and then inevitably concede. Really really pissed off with that whole performance, it’s frankly embarrassing.
If you encourage the wing backs to get far forward then you have 5 attacking players on and 5 defensive plus the keeper, the issue has often been MR using his wing backs in ultra defensive mode so it becomes effectively a 7 defender system. Ryan Giles last season was exactly the kind of wing back I’m on about being used much more aggressively

shmmeee

If you encourage the wing backs to get far forward then you have 5 attacking players on and 5 defensive plus the keeper, the issue has often been MR using his wing backs in ultra defensive mode so it becomes effectively a 7 defender system. Ryan Giles last season was exactly the kind of wing back I’m on about being used much more aggressively

As soon as Dasilva and Saka were level with Fadz while we were defending yesterday I knew it was all over. Just no bravery to get up the pitch.

Sick Boy

Why are Man City and Liverpool and Arsenal and Barcelona and Bayern etc etc all playing with 4 at the back with one central striker? Maybe the best managers have figured out that if you have more defenders than attackers it’s hard to score goals.

The team sheet needs starting again and we need to seriously look at what our play style is because atm it’s score one weird, dodgy goal, try to hang on to a lead and then inevitably concede. Really really pissed off with that whole performance, even if we would have won 1-0 it wouldn’t have been anything to cheer about, it’s frankly embarrassing.
If he goes one up too he’ll have Simms and Wright sitting on the bench, which is going to lead to Douglas asking some questions.

hill83

If “the old guard” think they can try and get ahead of the criticism of their own declining performances by leaking rumours to sympathetic ears then they can fuck off as well tbh

Yeah it’s an absolute c*nt of a move

BlueSkiesForever

We’re not ever going to get it but this is what I’d like to see against QPR, fucking sick of 5 at the back:

Wilson
Eccles, Kitching, Binks, Dasilva
Allen, Lati
Sakamoto, Ayari, Wright
Simms

Users who are viewing this thread