Huge uphill task for Mowbray next season? (1 Viewer)

AFCCOVENTRY

Potentially a huge uphill battle next season.

As soon as this season ends there is going to be a mass exodus of players. Loan players, out of contract players and even youth players not signing pro deals.

I don't think I can remember a time recently when there was such an exit of players.

Mogga has a huge task of bringing in players who will belong to the club. Also will Mogga learn from the mistakes he has made as manager this season. Tactically? And probably not having the right players for Plan A and defiantly Plan B.

Will be an interesting pre-season.

Samo

As soon as this season ends there is going to be a mass exodus of players. Loan players, out of contract players and even youth players not signing pro deals.

I don't think I can remember a time recently when there was such an exit of players.

Mogga has a huge task of bringing in players who will belong to the club. Also will Mogga learn from the mistakes he has made as manager this season. Tactically? And probably not having the right players for Plan A and defiantly Plan B.

How many left last summer including loans and youth?

mrtrench

I love the idea of a defiant Plan B.

Brylowes

Yep .And over that hill there is a creek, and it is a shit creek I just hope the club
give him a paddle .
Not hopeful though.

skybluetony176

We're already building for next season though and signed players ahead of it. When was the last time we did that? Also considering what's already happened front of shop who knows how much hard work has already been done behind the scenes. We may have a decent number of signings already lined up but still in contract elsewhere meaning we won't know about it yet.

Personally I think we'll have one of our most productive pre-seasons in a long time. Not only are we building already we will also have a manager in place unlike going into last summers break, have a backroom sorted unlike last summers break, don't have to spend money and energy in other areas such as sorting out the faceless training ground and setting up a scouting network and unlike the previous season again we don't have the uncertainty of where are we going to be playing the next season. Something that was pointed out as a difficulty in attracting signings.

Should we be concerned about the summer? Yes of course, we're CCFC fans. That's our job. Do we also have cause to be cautiously optimistic? Absolutely yes. Especially when you compare to the uncertainties of the previous two summers. Not to mention the previous summer of administration.

Gazolba

<snip>

Mogga has a huge task of bringing in players who will belong to the club. <snip>.

And all of those replacement players need to learn Mowbray's 'system', which based on past experience takes several weeks.

lagger

We're already building for next season though and signed players ahead of it. When was the last time we did that? Also considering what's already happened front of shop who knows how much hard work has already been done behind the scenes. We may have a decent number of signings already lined up but still in contract elsewhere meaning we won't know about it yet.

Personally I think we'll have one of our most productive pre-seasons in a long time. Not only are we building already we will also have a manager in place unlike going into last summers break, have a backroom sorted unlike last summers break, don't have to spend money and energy in other areas such as sorting out the faceless training ground and setting up a scouting network and unlike the previous season again we don't have the uncertainty of where are we going to be playing the next season. Something that was pointed out as a difficulty in attracting signings.

Should we be concerned about the summer? Yes of course, we're CCFC fans. That's our job. Do we also have cause to be cautiously optimistic? Absolutely yes. Especially when you compare to the uncertainties of the previous two summers. Not to mention the previous summer of administration.
kind of agree with that but at the back of my mind something is saying sisu

Last edited:

Terry Gibson's perm

We have also had a decent scout out there watching players, I feel confident providing Sisu and their cronies keep their noses out.

letsallsingtogether

No different to the last 10 seasons we don't keep half of the squad bring in shed load of new players and keep our fingers crossed that a couple will perform.
No way to build a team for a promotion push feel more heartache ahead............

Doesn't matter who we have in charge of the team they will all have the same shackles attached to them.

Really Really hope I am wrong

Brylowes

No different to the last 10 seasons we don't keep half of the squad bring in shed load of new players and keep our fingers crossed that a couple will perform.
No way to build a team for a promotion push feel more heartache ahead............

Doesn't matter who we have in charge of the team they will all have the same shackles attached to them.

Really Really hope I am wrong
If you are wrong,I think it will be more by luck than judgement

Glen

The club giving him something to play with is the bigger question, how much?
Knowing shitsu not a lot

CCFC88

Building the squad through summer/preseason wasnt the issue last season, we got off to an absolute flyer so I have faith in TM et al that he can build a team/squad and have them playing good football for the first week in August.

We do however have to hope he has learnt from the 2nd half of this season and adapts to when teams work us out, although I say that with bated breath due to his previous post-xmas record.

AFCCOVENTRY

That's my fear. He doesn't learn from his mistakes this season and refuses to adapt his tactics when needed.

covcity4life

i am confident he will have us aiming for promotion again

we will prob have 2 keepers, 2 cbs , 2 lb,3 cm, 2 am with us for sure on july 1st. then we can pad out the rest with hopefully better players,some perm some loan

Ashdown

Be interesting to see what they use to 'Drive' season ticket sales this time around. We really need a positive end to the campaign or it will be difficult to persuade folk that it won't be just more of the same. Problem is, as in the past SISU won't hand over any substantial funds until the cash starts rolling in. It's going to be the chicken and egg situation again I fear. I would also suggest that out of the 'Faithful five thousand' we are losing quite a few of these to age and infirmity each year and are we able to recruit replacements from the younger generations ?

steve82

I'm quite optimistic going into the summer.
The foundations have been laid over the last 12 months the scouting network being the key one. We're further down the road now and that database will now be full of players who fit the system, the model that TM, JC and MV are trying to build the club from.
If the right recruitment of players is done we should be competitive.
This year we had a group of talented players... They just lacked the steel to go a season.
A steady back 4 built to last a season fingers crossed and suitable back up will stand us in good stead.
More players through the spine of the team who have a physical edge, strong battlers.
Players who have experience, no one over 30. Ideal range being 22-30, players with experience at 1st team level.
Another 20 goal striker and 2/3 others who will chip in with 10 goals will bring plenty of points also but just as important is a leader! We need a dominant respected strong individual to show the commitment needed.
I'm hopeful!!!

Last edited:

Otis

Be interesting to see what they use to 'Drive' season ticket sales this time around. We really need a positive end to the campaign or it will be difficult to persuade folk that it won't be just more of the same. Problem is, as in the past SISU won't hand over any substantial funds until the cash starts rolling in. It's going to be the chicken and egg situation again I fear. I would also suggest that out of the 'Faithful five thousand' we are losing quite a few of these to age and infirmity each year and are we able to recruit replacements from the younger generations ?

Yep, the biggest uphill task next season will be selling enough season tickets. This season's demise has been embarrssingly profound and after holding such hight hopes, now we are figting to end up even mid table.

A real good run now might help a bit, but it is looking unlikely that will happen. Bit of a fading, lifeless, damb squib of a ending for us and I am sure there are many of us now just waiting for the season to end.

Sky Blue Kid

The phrase "Speculate to accumulate" is the best I can come up with....Then there's the SISU way of course?

Colin Steins Smile

Your final point is of great concern.......the longer we bump along with just trying to survive financially, the more hard core fans we lose with no replacements from the younger generation. We are a club which is decaying and until significant investment and vision is demonstrated, then the deterioration in our fan base will continue.

Buster

Nice ,optimistic and upbeat post Tony
Hope your right!

Gazolba

I'm quite optimistic going into the summer.
The foundations have been laid over the last 12 months the scouting network being the key one. We're further down the road now and that database will now be full of players who fit the system, the model that TM, JC and MV are trying to build the club from.
If the right recruitment of players is done we should be competitive.
<snip>

It's all very well having a good recruiting network but if the money isn't there to fund the players, it does little good since we will be beaten to the punch by other clubs. Our good recruitment this season was done on the basis of our being a high-flying side with prospects of promotion courtesy of our early season form. I doubt whether Armstrong, Murphy, Kent and Cole would have come to us if we were languishing in the bottom half of the table. We do have the advantage of having TM as manager who seems to have good contacts and is held in high regard by other clubs. Although you have to question how long that goodwill will persist given our recent disastrous form. I'm thinking about next season pretty much the same as always, hopeful but not overly optimistic. I still think this season was the best chance of promotion we will have for a long time.

Last edited:

steve82

It's all very well having a good recruiting network but if the money isn't there to fund the players, it does little good since we will be beaten to the punch by other clubs. Our good recruitment this season was done on the basis of our being a high-flying side with prospects of promotion courtesy of our early season form. I doubt whether Armstrong, Murphy, Kent and Cole would have come to us if we were languishing in the bottom half of the table. We do have the advantage of having TM as manager who seems to have good contacts and is held in high regard by other clubs. Although you have to question how long that goodwill will persist given our recent disastrous form. I'm thinking about next season pretty much the same as always, hopeful but not overly optimistic. I still think this season was the best chance of promotion we will have for a long time.

Armstrong and Murphy were signed before the start of the season. Sure there was a element of luck in Armstrong hitting the form he did but with his attributes he was a great find. Kent is a typical loan for a league one team.
There are many a free transfers out there avaliable from championship to conference who will more than strengthen our squad with the obvious addition of a few loans also, tho hopefully not as much as this season.
With the scouting network done there is no reason why we cannot hopefully get the deals done and relevant targets got as we no what the limitations are with the player, type of character... Ect.
There should be no reluctance this time to get the player if they are a free only asking a fair wage and we've our homework done on them over this season.

Last edited:

rupert_bear

I can't see anything at the moment that will attract that many new season ticket holders. Our gates average around the 11000 mark about half being season tickets, almost all you talk too are puzzled almost bitter about our slump and can't understand the seemingly lack of being able to remedy things from the manager. Last year Waggott said 11k is our wish for gate, but already Chris Anderson has increased that by over 25% without any explaination.

Nick

Administrator
Last year Waggott said 11k is our wish for gate, but already Chris Anderson has increased that by over 25% without any explaination.

How many people have said "Im not getting a season ticket because of a gate expecation" ?

Terry Gibson's perm

Don't know or care to be honest, I look around the Concorse and I see an ageing fan base.

The fan base is ageing I put the same sort of thing on here last week, the only way the club can get young fans in there is success which means investment in the team and although I don't really understand Ffp I think anything the owners put in can't be a debt and has to be a gift and that isn't the way they work.

I would like an explanation from Anderson how the club got the figures so wrong last year as they were around 25% out do they need a new abacus?

Speedies_Chips

I can't see anything at the moment that will attract that many new season ticket holders. Our gates average around the 11000 mark about half being season tickets, almost all you talk too are puzzled almost bitter about our slump and can't understand the seemingly lack of being able to remedy things from the manager. Last year Waggott said 11k is our wish for gate, but already Chris Anderson has increased that by over 25% without any explaination.

And it's just not about attracting new ST holders, RB, there is no certainty that everyone who had one last season will renew. The prices were very attractive last season and that might not be the case for next season. I'm not even sure if I will renew myself tbh and may revert to picking and choosing. With the perennial lack of success , the marketing department have a tough job selling ST's.

Users who are viewing this thread