I’m Phoning Trades Descriptions (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

Have a word about Miranda, Citizen Khan and Russell Howard too

Oh while you are there a mention for Sarah Millican, James Corden, Russel Brand, Russel Kane, Jack Whitehall.

Thanks in advance

and Jimmy Carr, Michael McIntyre, that welsh bloke Rhodri Gilbert

Grendel

Morecambe and Wise had find tuned their act over decades and it helped with them being so likeable too.

Agree with you on Porridge. Brilliantly written, beautifully acted and some great storylines (Christmas is cancelled, the judge who tried Fletcher being sent down himself etc.)

A brilliant sitcom for me and surely in the top 3 sitcoms of all time.

Grendel doesn't like Clement and La Frenais I don't think, because he has also been very critical of the Likely Lads, which I think is another brilliantly written piece of comedy by the same writers.

La Frenais and Clement also went on to write Auf Wiedershen Pet.

And Lovejoy

Otis

And Lovejoy
Never watched Lovejoy at all, so can't comment. Don't think I ever seen saw any ads for it.

At the time I had no idea they were involved with it, but it was just La Frenais without Clement. Much better as a pairing to my mind.

Macca

I loved Morecombe and Wise but not sure ever laugh out loud funny ( bar the ice cream van moment) though it could just be the endless repeats of the scenes.

With the old comics you tend to just see compilations of the best bits which makes you remember them nostalgically as 100% hilarious. Watch an episode end to end and it's quite hit and miss

Russell Howard though I can watch for an hour and not even smirk. Audience meanwhile are nearly drowning in their own piss

Otis

I loved Morecombe and Wise but not sure ever laugh out loud funny ( bar the ice cream van moment) though it could just be the endless repeats of the scenes.

With the old comics you tend to just see compilations of the best bits which makes you remember them nostalgically as 100% hilarious. Watch an episode end to end and it's quite hit and miss

Russell Howard though I can watch for an hour and not even smirk. Audience meanwhile are nearly drowning in their own piss

I never used to find him funny on Mock the Week either. Just about the one comedian on there who never ever said anything funny to my mind.

Really don't get the appeal at all.

Otis

Comedy tends not to age well anyway. Sure even George and Mildred was great in its day!
Morecambe and Wise shows haven't aged well. Their classic scenes still remain classics, but the shows on the whole now look very hit and miss.

You have to remember though, at the time the guest stars they had on were all pretty massive and that's what made it funny. To see Glenda Jackson and Frank Finlay doing slapstick comedy and making fools of themselves brought great laughs at the time.

Macca

I think as well we were happy with light entertainment. TV was an escape. Now it's got to be extreme or political or downright cruel

SkyblueBazza

The alleged comedian Russell Brand has to be hands down the least funny and most obnoxious individual on TV.

Traits presumably inherited from his equally obnoxious and unfunny father Jo.
I have heard people (mostly women) in his early days suggesting he is a great comedian. So I have given him several chances...but in what must be 3hrs of material have probably heard 1min of actual funny stuff. A pretty poor return...in fact Boris Johnson has a far better hit-rate. It's the way he tells 'em!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Captain Dart

Have a word about Miranda, Citizen Khan and Russell Howard too

Oh while you are there a mention for Sarah Millican, James Corden, Russel Brand, Russel Kane, Jack Whitehall.

Thanks in advance
I can hack Millican in fact seeing her in Warwick Arts centre later this year.
I liked Corden in "The Wrong Mens", not keen on his chat stuff.
You missed the dire Mrs Browns Boys from that list.. it is the pits.
Michael MacIntyre I can't stand either.

Captain Dart

wingy

Always liked Charlie Brookers form of TV satire .
Special mention for the Mark Thomas Product back in the day.
Whatever happened to him, I guess not enough shared my view .

Reactions: vow

Otis

I can hack Millican in fact seeing her in Warwick Arts centre later this year.
I liked Corden in "The Wrong Mens", not keen on his chat stuff.
You missed the dire Mrs Browns Boys from that list.. it is the pits.
Michael MacIntyre I can't stand either.
The Wrong Mans was very good. Liked that a lot.

rondog1973

Still doing shows, mostly S of London, but he can't get on telly because he has relatively right wing views.
Was a piece in Q magazine (a who does he think he is article I think) about 20 years ago on Hurst and you'd hardly describe his views as right wing. He was vitriolicly anti Murdoch as I recall.

fernandopartridge

Was a piece in Q magazine (a who does he think he is article I think) about 20 years ago on Hurst and you'd hardly describe his views as right wing. He was vitriolicly anti Murdoch as I recall.
He's pro Brexit i think but that often gets conflated with being right wing

Captain Dart

He's pro Brexit i think but that often gets conflated with being right wing

To be fair a lot of his outlook is very similar to mine.

I may be wrong on the reasons. It might be largely down to health problems, has a condition that mean his vertebrae are fusing.

I will look into it a bit more when I get more time.

Grendel

To be fair a lot of his outlook is very similar to mine.

I may be wrong on the reasons. It might be largely down to health problems, has a condition that mean his vertebrae are fusing.

I will look into it a bit more when I get more time.

I think he did upset a few people with his torture a terrorist analogy

Otis

Bit of pedantry, but I don't think 'Trade descriptions' have a telephone number. You could try 'Trading Standards' instead.
giphy.gif

I wanted to do Pedantry as a GSCE, but the school wouldn't let me. They wrote to me saying 'your not allowed to choose it as a subject.' I of course immediately went to correct them on 'your' and they were not overly impressed.

rob9872

giphy.gif

I wanted to do Pedantry as a GSCE, but the school wouldn't let me. They wrote to me saying 'your not allowed to choose it as a subject.' I of course immediately went to correct them on 'your' and they were not overly impressed.

You should have used quotation marks rather than an apostrophe (as an inverted comma) and the full stop would have been outside of the quotation marks.

Ian1779

Mrs Brown's Boys makes me think it would be the sitcom that Andy Millman landed the lead role in right before his life went to shit.

Bumberclart

Anybody remember Kelly Montieth or Billy Peirce
Billy Pearce.....shudder!
He's still robbing a living up here in Yorkshire. Seems to be permanently in panto in Bradford.

With the exception of Sarah Millican, who on occasions has me in fits of laughter, I don't find female comics very funny. TV companies seem desperate to move away from the white, male, 30 something, comics. As a result, lots of unfunny women are getting a chance on TV.

Users who are viewing this thread