I Bloody Love Him Already! (1 Viewer)

torchomatic

What a fantastic interview and a real refreshing change from the usual player interviews. It seems he genuinely wants to play football and isn't interested in just picking up his, no doubt substantial, wage packet.

I hope it's longer than 35 days but if not I think we, as fans, need to make the most of him and relish every single moment he's on the pitch wearing Sky Blue.

-------------------

Joe Cole is itching to make his Coventry City debut at Rochdale – and insists he relishes the prospect of being a target for League One’s hard-man defenders.
The Aston Villa midfielder – who has played in the world’s great stadia during his trophy-winning career – is set to slot straight in to the Sky Blues side for his first-ever trip to Spotland as he launches a 35-day loan spell.
“Primarily it’s about playing football,” said Cole, who admits it might take a game or two to get up to speed.
“I want to compete on a Tuesday and Saturday and play proper football with people trying to kick me.”
Asked if he thinks he’ll be targeted during his stint in the third tier, he said: “Yes probably, but I have been kicked by the biggest and the best so it ain’t going to bother me.
“You are a long time retired in this game and it doesn’t matter what your name is or what you’ve done in the game, when you step out there and are playing football against other players that’s all that matters. And I just wanted the buzz of playing again.

“You can’t stay at the top forever. I am not saying I won’t play back at the top level. I just love playing football and the day I don’t will be the day I pack it in.
“I might hit the ground running and be brilliant at Rochdale. But even though I’ve played Premier League and this is League One, I might need to blow away the cobwebs to get that match fitness. I’m here for 35 days and I need to influence the games and we’ll assess it after that.”
The former England star’s arrival at City has raised a few eyebrows in the game but the 33-year-old insists the Ricoh Arena is the perfect fit at this stage of his career.
As for dropping down to this level, he added: “I’ve had a few funny comments about coming here but it’s just my personality and I will always go with what feels right, and this does.”
Cole’s advisors approached Tony Mowbray , the Sky Blues boss revealing: “It’s not something I went chasing.
“His advisor comes to a lot of our games and the fit was right – he wants to play in a team that moves the ball around the pitch.

“It wasn’t for me to go to Tim Fisher and start asking for financial favours but everything behind the scenes is sorted and Joe’s here where he can enjoy his football and help us out at the same time.”
Cole said: “Tony probably thought I wouldn’t be available and people probably thought I wouldn’t drop down to this level but I just want to go out and play.
“The last few years I’ve had a terrible time with injuries and not played regularly so I tweaked things in the summer and have had four good months of training but not got in the team at Villa because they’ve spent a lot of money on players who need time to settle in, so I was looking to go out on loan to play.

“I was looking at options and the main thing was I needed a team that play football the right way. I spoke to Tony and he just impressed me. I knew his reputation as a manager who likes to pass it and pop it about and so he really impressed me.
“He was a massive part of the reason I am here because of the way his teams play. It’s the style of football and I spoke to him and he seems like a genuine guy. We got on and have the same philosophy on football so he was vital; the main cog in this happening for me.
“I watched them play and thought I could help and give some experience to some good young lads, and it just seemed right.”

Cole trained for the first time on Monday morning, just hours after being present at the birth of his third child, a boy, on Sunday which was part of the reason the deal wasn’t done ahead of the weekend’s match against Blackpool, at which he was a spectator.
“Training was good but it’s been a whirlwind because me and my wife had our third child yesterday so I have not really had much sleep to be honest,” he said.
“But it was nice to come in and meet the guys and look forward to a game. I don’t think I’ve played at Rochdale before but I just want to be in a dressing room looking forward to a game. I have played 21s football but you need to be playing against players who want to kick you, a proper game.”
The big question on most City fans’ lips is will he be available beyond his initial seven games which includes the first round of the FA Cup on November 7, for which Villa have given permission for him to play, suggesting he doesn’t figure in Tim Sherwood’s plans any time soon.

“I’m not looking beyond Tuesday night,” he said.
“I think I have got seven games in the 35 days and we’ll review it after that and see where everyone is.
“My first couple of games will be to shake the cobwebs off and get used to competitive football and I’m pretty sure my last two games will be stronger and fitter than my first two, but hopefully I can influence the game and help the club win football matches.”
Asked about his situation at Villa Park, he said: “You can only sit around so long when the team’s not doing very well and you are still not given a chance. I am not one for resting on my laurels. I’m sure they’ll pick up because they are good players with a good manager but I just want to get out and play football.
“The gaffer was great with me and understood my situation.”

Last edited:

Seamus1

I worked for a company a number of years back where one of our clients was Mr Cole. I got to talk to him a few times and he really is one of the most down to earth, genuine (cheeky Cockney chappy) you would ever have the pleasure of speaking to. If I spoke to him on the day of a match, I'd always wish him well for the game, and he'd always thank me.

dynamoholbrooks

The key phrase in the interview is the bit about getting rid of the cobwebs. I really want to see him do well - we just need to give him a bit of time to get going again after the Vile have had him in cold storage for so long.

ajsccfc

Worst part is that it's nearly two weeks until I get to see him play. Remember Busst's testimonial and the novelty of seeing Gazza and Wor Les in a Cov shirt? Feels a bit like that.

torchomatic

I'm looking forward to Saturday and the trip to Swindon even more than I was now. The interesting thing for me is he's allowed to play in the Cup for us. A sign surely that an extension deal is there to be done should all parties agree and be able to sort something out that' suitable to us all.

Ranjit Bhurpa

Well said Torch. With everything that's wrong with football, especially at the top end of the game, JC has a very refreshing attitude and is a great role model for younger players, particularly those that grab the biggest pay packet on offer above everything else.

Ranjit Bhurpa

I'm looking forward to Saturday and the trip to Swindon even more than I was now. The interesting thing for me is he's allowed to play in the Cup for us. A sign surely that an extension deal is there to be done should all parties agree and be able to sort something out that' suitable to us all.

Yes - there are many things you could read into from his comments, interesting for me is reviewing the position after 35 days and seeing where everyone is. Many if's and but's but who knows? TM certainly deserves a lot of credit (again) and who knows what tomorrow may bring?

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Really looking forward to seeing how he does in a CCFC shirt.

Seems such a likeable character, for a cockney that takes some doing :D

One comment I like was "people probably thought I wouldn’t drop down to this level but I just want to go out and play". This is all too lost in most footballers these days. Even the younger ones. Look at the Swansea lad last year who chose to stay and play non competitive football for a whole season than come here on loan. Seems he's learnt his lesson though, what with him going to Gillingham this season and doing well.

This kind of attitude Cole is showing is a joy in itself, and I look forward to seeing him play a part tonight. Whether he starts we will have to wait and see but Especially now Fleck is out (has that been confirmed yet? Assuming it is the case as they haven't said otherwise) I suspect he will slot straight in.

covcity4life

yeah that isbvery interesting isnt it

when is draw? really hope we get a home game, think on big pitch of ricoh cole could decimate a non league team, help banish memories of worcester

rupert_bear

There's another possible possitive, Joe Cole could attract others of a similar ilk, and with the failure of securing Chris Eagles there is money available and for an up market type of player, not sure when the current loan market closes but could be interesting.

torchomatic

I don't see not signing Eagles as a failure. By the sounds of it Mowbray didn't know anything about it so one of two things happened; Eagles approached Bury or Bury approached Eagles. Either way, it shows a lack of professionalism from Eagles by not keeping Mowbray informed.

BlueElephant

I was thinking the same but then quickly realised he's on a 20k a week contract at Villa with us contributing I would say between 2-4k a week for the duration of the loan. Lets say he does great but Villa still don't want him and say he can leave for free surely there's no way he'd drop that significantly in earnings just for the love of football. I 100% believe he's a genuine man but can't see him being okay with losing out on potentially £200,000+ in wages.

torchomatic

No BE, I don't think he would drop that kind of wage permanently but maybe for another couple of months until January or even..wishful thinking here...until the end of the season. He's obviously not in Villa's plans, so it would be nice to keep him until a lower Prem or Champ team came a-knockin'.

Terry Gibson's perm

I was thinking the same but then quickly realised he's on a 20k a week contract at Villa with us contributing I would say between 2-4k a week for the duration of the loan. Lets say he does great but Villa still don't want him and say he can leave for free surely there's no way he'd drop that significantly in earnings just for the love of football. I 100% believe he's a genuine man but can't see him being okay with losing out on potentially £200,000+ in wages.

He would ask for a pay off at Villa to soften the blow.

BlueElephant

I see Torch fair point. I just can't see Villa allowing that to happen if they decide he can move on. Makes no sense keeping a player on the books essentially paying for him to play for another team

torchomatic

True, but he can't go anywhere permanently until January now anyway, so it's in the interests of the player and his Club for him to be competitive game time. Makes for a fitter and subsequently more valuable asset.

But yeah, I know he won't be here long term and Villa aren't going to shell out loads of money just for keeping Sky Blue fans happy.

I see Torch fair point. I just can't see Villa allowing that to happen if they decide he can move on. Makes no sense keeping a player on the books essentially paying for him to play for another team

ready_96

If he starts firing in hatricks every week then villa are gonna recall him after the month and he'll probably be on the bench for their next PL game. I can see him doing relatively well here showing that he belongs at a level above and a championship club will take his full wages off villa till the end of the season.

Malaka

Reading the press conference has made me feel kinda warm inside. I cant wait to see him. I know you guys are talking about 20k pw and his wages, but I think that he may be settled around here and want to stay in the Midlands. Money aint gonna bother him as he has shed loads so I don't think that will be his motivating factor. He may want a challenge, he may want to go into coaching and we certainly have have some good kids come through and maybe he wants to help in that area and we can provide the foot in the door for him.

I'm just gonna enjoy him while we have him, hope he loves us and all of the above becomes true

M&B Stand

When asked about the step down to league one, Cole replied: I don't see it as a step down, I've come to a bigger club.

*is what he actually meant

BlueElephant

Love that positive post Malaka made me question myself and my naturally pessimistic beliefs! Totally agree lets enjoy him while he's here and lets hope he can produce what we all know he's capable of

PVA

A good read, enjoyed that.

To be honest I'm not expecting him to pull up trees and be incredible for us, but I can't wait to see him play and see the odd flash of brilliance.

Also just think how great it will be for the younger players and how much they can learn off him.

BackRoomRummermill

Just been at sea with no internet for a few days and come back to this , amazing he is here , on and off the pitch a massive influence for sure. Hope the next home game gets a few more in to see and get behind him . Maybe a step into management at some club in the long term might be on the cards with his thoroughly decent attitude

Covstu

In an ideal scenario JC stays with us until the new year, if he is playing to his full potential i am sure Villa would either recall him or put his to a championship side looking for a promotional push (who will pay a greater proportion of his wages). We then have January to find a young and hungry player wanting to fight our promotional charge.

I guess Tim Sherwoods tenure may have a part to play equally here.

magic82ball

Very crudely: average earning over 15 year career of 30k per week x 52 x 15= £23,400,000. Even it's half that, it's fair to say the lad, his children and grandchildren will be financially secure for the rest of their lives. I believe him when he says it's not about money. No reason he couldn't play out the season here and play his last few years at in America.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

ajsccfc

When we're unveiling Joe Cole even for seven weeks, I don't see Chris Eagles signing for Bury as any kind of failure.

Skyblueweeman

Very crudely: average earning over 15 year career of 30k per week x 52 x 15= £23,400,000. Even it's half that, it's fair to say the lad, his children and grandchildren will be financially secure for the rest of their lives. I believe him when he says it's not about money. No reason he couldn't play out the season here and play his last few years at in America.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

Take half of that off for tax for a start! Still a nice lot of cash over the career.

Skyblueweeman

He may want a challenge, he may want to go into coaching and we certainly have have some good kids come through and maybe he wants to help in that area and we can provide the foot in the door for him.

I'm just gonna enjoy him while we have him, hope he loves us and all of the above becomes true

On the SSN report a few mins ago, he said he was keen to help the youngsters. Maybe a player/coaching role could be something that could tempt him here longer...

Users who are viewing this thread