I dont miss Highfield Road anymore (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueCV2

I've been thinking about this the other day myself after looking around the CBS. How we've finally got a decent pitch to play on, a proper club shop with actual merch and retro additions, music, signs and banners, etc. Certain areas still need work but I can't complain too much. Hope these improvements continue on and off the field!

Hutch11

Always felt like going to the Ricoh was a right bloody chore
The place was a soulless bowl , the football was turgid and I missed HR
Now I cannot wait for home games, the Dhillons experience, the fanzone around the arena the wonderful atmosphere inside the ground and ofcorse the brilliant football being played makes it a superb experience

skybluericoh

Not so sure . CBS is growing on me bar than parking and getting away after the game . HR was something else for a lot of reasons, good and bad . The walk up to HR was brilliant. The pubs from the silver sword, brew and baker Vauxhall,sky blue tavern and strikers bar . Nothing better on match day .
Most of them pubs had gone before we left HR, times have changed most for the better. Sure CBS could have better transport links but that aside now we are seeing some good memories made along with players that will hopefully get to legend status.
The ccfc branding etc along with the JSB zone, fans village, pre/post drinks if you want them etc I enjoy going now both with mates and sometimes with the kids.

Brighton Sky Blue

Only lost one home game so far and even that was with the help of the officials, that’s at least in part down to how the ground has been turned from half full and silent to 2/3 full and rocking most games.

The noise for each of those goals yesterday was the sort of thing that ground was made for. Doubt even the sound protectors Lesta were handing out would have worked

Gynnsthetonic

Since we moved back starting with that Forest game Ive missed Highfield Rd less and less. Loads of places to drink and a bus ride back into town. One thing I don't like about the location is the away fans coming by car or coach don't have to come into Coventry itself as its just straight off the motorway. Being an away fan I always wanted to see parts of another town or city, sometimes it brings that bit of fear

letsallsingtogether

Dont think there are many pubs left bar the Old Ball, The Humber and Gosford arms near the ground., and the areas even rougher then back in the day.
Still would love my seat in the West End.
Mind you we would struggle to get a ticket with todays attendances.

clint van damme

I wouldn't care if we left the CBS tomorrow as long as we were in Cov.
And if it was to move to our own ground I'd help with the packing.
That said, the whole matchday experience is as good now as it's ever been there.
Credit to the new owners of the club and the stadium, they get stick when they get it wrong so deserve credit when they get it right.

Saddlebrains

Dont think there are many pubs left bar the Old Ball, The Humber and Gosford arms near the ground., and the areas even rougher then back in the day.
Still would love my seat in the West End.
Mind you we would struggle to get a ticket with todays attendances.

Old Balls closed down now too

The whole area atound HR has gone completely downhill. And no before anyone claims this comment is racist, it isnt, it is 80% immigrant round there now and boy can you tell, utter cesspit round swan lane and the surrounding roads, wouldnt board a dog round there now

MTK

The CBS is hugely improved as a footballing home for CCFC. The pitch, Club shop, branding etc. I’d like the pre match queues to be sorted. It felt unsafe at times before the game in Saturday with Leicester fans pushing through the queue. It was packed so tight if it had kicked off it could have been an issue for a lot of people including kids and older people, who would have found it difficult to move away. If the fan village at the side of the East Stand is doing well, would there ever be a case for an improved version in the exhibition hall or in a bigger space? Some people like me would but some decent food over drinks these days.

Skyblue Bangkok

The CBS is hugely improved as a footballing home for CCFC. The pitch, Club shop, branding etc. I’d like the pre match queues to be sorted. It felt unsafe at times before the game in Saturday with Leicester fans pushing through the queue. It was packed so tight if it had kicked off it could have been an issue for a lot of people including kids and older people, who would have found it difficult to move away. If the fan village at the side of the East Stand is doing well, would there ever be a case for an improved version in the exhibition hall or in a bigger space? Some people like me would but some decent food over drinks these days.
I'll always miss HR personally a lot easier for me to get too. However it's gone ( thanks Bryan Richarse & co )so it is what it is.

Skyblue Bangkok

The whole area atound HR has gone completely downhill. And no before anyone claims this comment is racist, it isnt, it is 80% immigrant round there now and boy can you tell, utter cesspit round swan lane and the surrounding roads, wouldnt board a dog round there now
Can you tell who is an immigrant and who isn't ?

wingy

Still a few round here,The Hastings,Red Horse,the one .on North st can't remember the name?

Skyblue Bangkok

Still a few round here,The Hastings,Red Horse,the one .on North st can't remember the name?
Hastings is still there , I was in the Old Ball in early Nov, used to have a cracking Sunday afternoon there with the fat DJ . My brothers local is the Rose & Crown a bit further down. Pubs a shutting down all over the country or half empty, it's cheaper to drink at home.

Skyblue Bangkok

It’s collateral with the improvement in the football with Robins - the buyout from Sisu has been a game changer - we have come a long way from league 2
I still get nightmares when I hear the word SISU. There was a recent movie out called Sisu which I couldn't bring myself to watch but then I did it wasn't bad actually a bit gory in parts.

Skyblueweeman

I genuinely think the fact that the stadium isn't owned by the insects makes a massive difference to perceptions of the place. All the changes since they've gone are great but if it was still owned by them, I think there'd be a feeling of 'yeah, this is all good and that but we're still bowing down to a nomadic rugby club'.

I know we still don't own the stadium but the animosity that was created with them being here, now having been removed, I think automatically means we feel better about the stadium.

That combined with the improved match-day experience and our on the pitch exploits of the last couple of seasons, have all meant it's a good place to be. Long may it continue.

I do miss HR though.

wingy

Not forgetting it has been the subject of several boycott's ACL, don't put anything into their coffers etc.
Now everyone spending like it's going out of fashion.
Coffee outside £ 4-20 Saturday up from £3-00.with a different provider.

Hobo

People forget that HR feel , but I don't.. used to get a knot in my stomach every time we played and that walk upto the stadium from town etc .. just a special place

Today's fans would make HR unbelievably hard to play at for away teams

A lot of noise would still be trapped in the West End and hardly heard anywhere else in the ground. Acoustics are better at the CBS. The PA is garbage though

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

I can vouch for that 🤦‍♂️

now you’re asking 🤔 probably everyone from the cov cross down Gosford road. I can’t remember the names but there was one at the top main road from the Vauxhall that at was good
The one at the top of the road Binley Oak closed years ago. Pubs on Goddard street only one left. Stoke ex gone, conservative club gone only Old Ball left in the whole area.

JSL

Any truth in the old rumour that the club are interested in building their own new stadium on the site of the old Brandon speedway stadium?

Last edited:

Hobo

Any truth in the old rumour that the club are interested in building their own new stadium on the site of the old Brandon speedway stadium?

And move the club out of Coventry again?

HerneBayGaz

Not so sure . CBS is growing on me bar than parking and getting away after the game . HR was something else for a lot of reasons, good and bad . The walk up to HR was brilliant. The pubs from the silver sword, brew and baker Vauxhall,sky blue tavern and strikers bar . Nothing better on match day .
Totally agree, Highfield Road gave me some very special memories, and sad ones to be fair 😢 Highfield Road was a proper football ground unlike some of the soulless grounds that are built today. (Take me home Highfield Road)

lacesoutdom

Never felt rhe CBS was home

Last few seasons it has felt MORE like home, but still lacked something for me, despite the brillaint seasons and atmospheres

But the CCFC branding all.over the concourses, the stadium owners listening to fans in improvements such as cleaning the place, however basic

And also the atmospheres, the memories we're starting to make there, and the journey we've been on there

I think I've finally fell in love with the place
Its funny how the small things like CCFC branding, logos and pictures can make you feel at home, is a great time to be a cov fan

The Philosopher

Anyone know (and I wouldn’t have believed, 3 years ago, that this question would ever be a serious one) what the options are for increasing the capacity at the CBS?

If we follow the Luton pattern (where we followed them up the league 1 year behind) we might well go up.

I’m sure we’ll sell out season tickets in the Prem.

Are BR’s original plans to put another tier on valid or did it get binned?

Would safe standing work?

If we fluke it to the Prem, the only way to ever be seen as a “big” club is to have a big stadium and big attendances.

Users who are viewing this thread