If there was a genuine plan to move back (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

I couldn't care less if we moved from the Ricoh to eventually play somewhere else in the city. Of course there would have to be a viable plan and I assume the FL would put something in place to ensure it's stuck to as they aren't going to let the club move out of Cov forever.

Of course there's lots of obstacles but lets say we have a 15K capacity ground designed to be easily expandable should it be needed in the future. Maybe even somewhere easier to get to for most people we'd actually end up in a better position than we are now.

Problem is at some point you'd have to take SISU at their word and would any of us believe them?

RoboCCFC90

Wow rose tinted glasses or what, highfield road was a dump you remember like me the amazing games and the amazing footballers we have seen in ou time their its where coventry were that we remember the ricoh is an amazing world class stadium we and all you need to move on if cov were playing in the prem against man u city arsenal tottenham etc etc the place wud be buZzin and u wud love it me personally would not go outside cov and I would like to go to tthe home of the sky blues the ricoh! Looks like if outside I'd be only goin to the away games

Highfield Road was more than home to me, I had so many amazing memories and they were all at Highfield Road! Yes okay so we haven't seen the calibre of opponents or the calibre of players at the Ricoh since we left Highfield Road, but I would go back a terraced ground like Highfield Road tomorrow over the Ricoh Arena.

SkyBlueHomer

People need to move on. True we have no big moments or games like the ones we can remember from Highfield Rd but Ricoh is still in its infancy. We were at Highfield Rd for 100 or so years these things take time.

I also remember coming back to double parked cars and arguments with locals when attendances got anywhere near 15k. we need to stop all this 'take me home highfield rd nonsense'

James Smith

Wow rose tinted glasses or what, highfield road was a dump you remember like me the amazing games and the amazing footballers we have seen in ou time their its where coventry were that we remember the ricoh is an amazing world class stadium we and all you need to move on if cov were playing in the prem against man u city arsenal tottenham etc etc the place wud be buZzin and u wud love it me personally would not go outside cov and I would like to go to tthe home of the sky blues the ricoh! Looks like if outside I'd be only goin to the away games
Highfield Road wasn't a dump it was a heritage football ground that was sadly unsuited to the modern game requirements. This was brought home to me when poor Ron Reeves died in 1998 at the Arsenal match http://www.cwn.org.uk/999/1998/9810/981031-highfield-road.htm He was crushed by the away team bus as it was reversing into the tiny carpark in King Richard Street. The Ricoh is a more modern stadium better suited to the requirements of the game today.

Nonleagueherewecome

I have more of an emotional attachment to The Ricoh than HR anyway myself simply because I've been to about 50 times more games there. I couldn't afford a ST until I was an adult as my parents were always skint. Usually only got to go to a couple of games a season. For me the wrench of leaving The Ricoh would be every bit as much as it was for fans leaving HR.

japandy

Would CCC grant planning permission to build another football stadium within the city boundaries? ...

They have no choice. CCFC have no ground of their own and just because we play at a council owned ground doesnt mean we MUST play there

bigfatronssba

They have no choice. CCFC have no ground of their own and just because we play at a council owned ground doesnt mean we MUST play there

They have no choice? So Football stadiums can just be built anywhere without planning permission then?

katzenjammer

They have no choice? So Football stadiums can just be built anywhere without planning permission then?

No but if you think about 1/2 a mile from the Ricoh by Leekes isn't Coventry Council. Even going he other way by the Virgin Active gym that's not CCC either and actually nearer to the city centre than the Ricoh Arena.

I think there is options and if the football club makes all the revenue from the new build stadium on return it's probably a better option than the Ricoh for the long term future of the club. Short term it would be shit while we ground share but it's probably the most sensible option to secure a Football Club long term. Unless the council sell the Ricoh to CCFC, which I honestly believe they should, it really is a realistic long term option. Short term pain and long term gain I think.

bigfatronssba

No but if you think about 1/2 a mile from the Ricoh by Leekes isn't Coventry Council. Even going he other way by the Virgin Active gym that's not CCC either and actually nearer to the city centre than the Ricoh Arena.

I think there is options and if the football club makes all the revenue from the new build stadium on return it's probably a better option than the Ricoh for the long term future of the club. Short term it would be shit while we ground share but it's probably the most sensible option to secure a Football Club long term. Unless the council sell the Ricoh to CCFC, which I honestly believe they should, it really is a realistic long term option. Short term pain and long term gain I think.

Building just outside the City boundary would still give CCC a say over it as it affects Coventry roads and other infrastructure. Also the City Council and the County Council have a very close relationship with each other, I'm pretty sure Warwckshire Council would be pretty unwilling to help Sisu, especially as they (indirectly of course) have spent money on the Ricoh.

trondegilsoltvedt97

I would think Warwickshire Council would be glad of it. Lets be honest, Birmingham have already nicked their cricket team! They would be glad of increased profile, revenue, footfall and everything else that comes with something bringing 10k people + every two weeks. As said, the Ricoh is actually 3/4 miles out of town- and many say it is hard to get too since we moved from Highfield Road. Go down the London Road onto the A46 and your are in 'Warwickshire' but closer to the city centre

ccfctommy

People need to move on. True we have no big moments or games like the ones we can remember from Highfield Rd but Ricoh is still in its infancy. We were at Highfield Rd for 100 or so years these things take time.

I also remember coming back to double parked cars and arguments with locals when attendances got anywhere near 15k. we need to stop all this 'take me home highfield rd nonsense'

This. Pointless nostalgia.

SkyBlueHomer

Dunno tbh. I'd never have picked the Foleshill gas works as a site mind you.

Move a junction down the M6 to the Walsgrave Triangle? :-D

Fair play, at least you havent dragged out the crackpot lets develop the Butts idea. No idea myself but I dont live within the City boundaries so not familar enough with where it would be possible.
:)

Its good to have memories of better times at Highfield Rd some of us are fortunate enough to be able to remember them. Some poeple just need to accept Highfield Rd is dead/gone/kaput never to be seen again

Changeyourface

If we permanently move to a new stadium within the city then I'm all for it. I'd rather that than going back to the Ricoh, and that's not due to any Highfield Road pipedream it's just because it's one of them fucking awful lego grounds that have popped up within the past 10/15 years, couldn't think of a more depressing concrete wasteland to be watching football in.

J

Jack Griffin

Funny how a lot of previously unknown posters pop up to support SISU when Fisher spouts his crazy plans.. it ain't gonna work.. the real fans are dead set aginst this...

bigfatronssba

If we permanently move to a new stadium within the city then I'm all for it. I'd rather that than going back to the Ricoh, and that's not due to any Highfield Road pipedream it's just because it's one of them fucking awful lego grounds that have popped up within the past 10/15 years, couldn't think of a more depressing concrete wasteland to be watching football in.

Any new ground would be built on such a shoestring budget it would make the Ricoh look an architectural wonder.

It would be 4 small indentical stands.

Users who are viewing this thread