James Maddison sell on clause? Bid from WEST HAM (2 Viewers)

NorthernWisdom

Who is/was the highest earner in the clubs history, I remember Dion Dublin signing a million
a year contract ‘so that’s basically £20.000 a week, would anyone have got more ?
Paul Williams earned £18k pw. Gary Breen turned down a £20k pw contract... so if they earned that much, it may not be unreasonable to suggest Hadji & co. were on more, although I don't know them.

Astute

2.5m

A little bit short of what he was sold for again.

Grendel

2.5m

A little bit short of what he was sold for again.

But we didn't get £2.5m we also received a percentage of a sell on fee. The suggestion is that this is around £3 million. That would mean its not that dissimilar to what was paid for Deli Ali

The club can only sell for the market value. The fee rises automatically the minute the player joins a higher league as his stock rises. If he had stayed and we were relegated with him his value would fall.

Astute

But we didn't get £2.5m we also received a percentage of a sell on fee. The suggestion is that this is around £3 million. That would mean its not that dissimilar to what was paid for Deli Ali

The club can only sell for the market value. The fee rises automatically the minute the player joins a higher league as his stock rises. If he had stayed and we were relegated with him his value would fall.
You was delighted with what we got at the time. Made it sound like it was well over what he was worth.

So how much did we get if not 2.5m? And only a suggestion I suppose.

And the extra we got was because he was much better than you was saying that he is.

Grendel

You was delighted with what we got at the time. Made it sound like it was well over what he was worth.

So how much did we get if not 2.5m? And only a suggestion I suppose.

And the extra we got was because he was much better than you was saying that he is.

No I said I was happy with the whole arrangement as it secured and protected the club if his value escalated which it would not have done if he remained in the lower leagues.

Astute

No I said I was happy with the whole arrangement as it secured and protected the club if his value escalated which it would not have done if he remained in the lower leagues.
Do the likes of Dongle think his value is increasing? Can't see anyone wanting him - he's been poor.
He's only a £9 million player with the fantasists on here.

Even your over exaggerated value comment has ended up being wrong.

He was just another young player of ours that you constantly stuck the boot in on. Biamou is your latest target.

But of course if Biamou dies well and gets sold for a decent amount you will be hoping that people's memories are not what they should be and will switch it to we got a good sum for him.

NorthernWisdom

He was just another young player of ours that you constantly stuck the boot in on. Biamou is your latest target.

But of course if Biamou dies well and gets sold for a decent amount you will be hoping that people's memories are not what they should be and will switch it to we got a good sum for him.
Tbd, even though I like Max, if somebody were to offer £2.5million for him, I'd drive him there myself!

Grendel

His value wasn’t increasing. That’s why no other bidders came in for him and after the second half of the season he had with ius again it would not have risen.

Following season and relegation it would have declined further.

Your quotes actually show that. Biamou is not a young player he’s one of the oldest in the squad by the way.

Astute

His value wasn’t increasing. That’s why no other bidders came in for him and after the second half of the season he had with ius again it would not have risen.

Following season and relegation it would have declined further.

Your quotes actually show that. Biamou is not a young player he’s one of the oldest in the squad by the way.
In other words people saw in him what you didn't.

I agree when he came back in loan he was awful. It was as though he didn't want to be here anymore. But before then he was better than you always made out.

Grendel

In other words people saw in him what you didn't.

I agree when he came back in loan he was awful. It was as though he didn't want to be here anymore. But before then he was better than you always made out.

No I saw in him what he was worth or there would have been a bidding war and he’d have been sold for more

Astute

No I saw in him what he was worth or there would have been a bidding war and he’d have been sold for more
His worth is only what someone is willing to pay. Did we get as much as we could or did we sell early?

But I suppose we got what you wanted. Even though we don't know for sure how much.

harvey098

That thread is hilarious. After saying recently I don’t know why I get involved in the “I told you so” posts.. I can’t resist this one. How the majority couldn’t see that he would go right to the top is beyond me. (You will see I have consistently said he is the best player to have played for ccfc since relegation from the prem)

Attachments

• F206AF4A-57AB-41A9-B821-86D701F70081.png
    F206AF4A-57AB-41A9-B821-86D701F70081.png
    333 KB · Views: 20

Mucca Mad Boys

You've taken that £9m value out of context here. Maddison wasn't a £9m player when he was with us, £5-6m would've been a good deal and that's what we've ended up getting. Dele Alli is one of the best Prem midfielders and he only cost £5m, and frankly, neither Dele nor Maddison would've reached their potential had they remained in L1 -- without their career moves, they wouldn't be £40-50m players. In fact, we've got more for Maddison than MK have for Dele Alli, and the latter is an England international.
We can't retrospectively inflate the prices we should've sold our young players at after they've gone on to perform well in higher leagues. What Maddison achieved last season was amazing, and we got a cut of the pie in that deal and it was a decent deal all around.

Grendel

You've taken that £9m value out of context here. Maddison wasn't a £9m player when he was with us, £5-6m would've been a good deal and that's what we've ended up getting. Dele Alli is one of the best Prem midfielders and he only cost £5m, and frankly, neither Dele nor Maddison would've reached their potential had they remained in L1 -- without their career moves, they wouldn't be £40-50m players. In fact, we've got more for Maddison than MK have for Dele Alli, and the latter is an England international.
We can't retrospectively inflate the prices we should've sold our young players at after they've gone on to perform well in higher leagues. What Maddison achieved last season was amazing, and we got a cut of the pie in that deal and it was a decent deal all around.

Far too sensible. Good luck with that.

skybluesam66

when he was here , he was clearly not the finished article - if his development then stopped (think Jack Rodwell as an example) then he would have only been a championship player

However it is clear that he has continued developing and more - hence his current value - and the fact that for the 1st half he ran the show at Old Trafford on Friday

He may end up a £50m+ player - however when he left us and if he was still playing in league 1 - he would not be that player

Astute

Wasn't me who stated 9m. That was someone rewording something to change the subject.

I said we let him go too cheap. Which we did. Now we have got more it makes it look much better. But look back. Many were saying that we got over his value when we didn't. Just look at the comments made by some.

Mucca Mad Boys

Wasn't me who stated 9m. That was someone rewording something to change the subject.

I said we let him go too cheap. Which we did. Now we have got more it makes it look much better. But look back. Many were saying that we got over his value when we didn't. Just look at the comments made by some.

What figure do you have in mind?

Personally, I thought £5-6m is a good deal. I don’t think he’s better than Dele Alli who was a natural comparison. This is what we’ve ended up with so I don’t have many more complaints. Perhaps you could say we got lowballed at £3m initially but that’s why you have sell-on clauses which we know has netted us a minimum of £2-and-a-bit million. How much more was Maddison worth in 2016?! No one really bidded for him hence he ended up at Norwich instead of Spurs, Arsenal or Liverpool. If any of those 3 actually had solid interest in him, he would’ve went there.

Maddison was a good player for us, but his value was mostly based on his potential as opposed to him scoring plenty of goals and assists for us. It was only when his performances got those goals that his value sky-rocketed.

Last edited:

Astute

Personally, I thought £5-6m is a good deal. I don’t think he’s better than Dele Alli who was a natural comparison. This is what we’ve ended up with so I don’t have many more complaints. Perhaps you could say we got lowballed at £3m initially but that’s why you have sell-on clauses which we know has netted us a minimum of £2-and-a-bit million. How much more was Maddison worth in 2016?! No one really bidded for him hence he ended up at Norwich instead of Spurs, Arsenal or Liverpool. If any of those 3 actually had solid interest in him, he would’ve went there.

Maddison was a good player for us, but his value was mostly based on his potential as opposed to him scoring plenty of goals and assists for us. It was only when his performances got those goals that his value sky-rocketed.
Read again what I said instead of following what Grendel said and ignoring the rest.

I said once he was sold to Fester we ended up with a decent amount for him. Which is what you are saying yet using the amount against what I said......

Yet Grendel said that the first amount we got for him was a very good deal. . .

Grendel

Read again what I said instead of following what Grendel said and ignoring the rest.

I said once he was sold to Fester we ended up with a decent amount for him. Which is what you are saying yet using the amount against what I said......

Which is exactly what he said

Mucca Mad Boys

What figure do you have in mind for how much you think we should've got for him? It's all well and good slating what other people have said, or vaguely saying we let him go on the cheap, give me a figure.

When you've got a player like Maddison, you purposefully put those sell-on clauses on the basis that you're betting you'll end up with more money than you would have had you sold for a one-off fee. At the time, that Anderson said that. So you're moaning about a 'low-fee' when really, you're somewhat happy with the long-term outcome. That Jack Marriott who scored who scored 27 goals went for £3m rising to £5m and that's someone who achieved something, whereas, Maddison hadn't hit that height until last season for Norwich. We weren't really in a position to demand much more than a £3m upfront fee and I was under the impression that the deal was potentially worth £9m. I don't know how true that was exactly, but it was obvious that the £3m was not the end of the matter, which is how you've framed it.

I'm not particularly interested in what people have said about what a player was worth because of the contexts have clearly changed. He obviously wasn't a £20m+ player when he was with us. We ended up getting relegated, and didn't have a team good enough for promotion to the Championship, and there was no way of keeping him if we got relegated to L2, so we only stood to lose out.

Personally, I would've preferred to have held out for a £4-5m upfront fee, and since we've ended up with £5-6m, I'm satisfied with that.

Astute

What figure do you have in mind for how much you think we should've got for him? It's all well and good slating what other people have said, or vaguely saying we let him go on the cheap, give me a figure.

When you've got a player like Maddison, you purposefully put those sell-on clauses on the basis that you're betting you'll end up with more money than you would have had you sold for a one-off fee. At the time, that Anderson said that. So you're moaning about a 'low-fee' when really, you're somewhat happy with the long-term outcome. That Jack Marriott who scored who scored 27 goals went for £3m rising to £5m and that's someone who achieved something, whereas, Maddison hadn't hit that height until last season for Norwich. We weren't really in a position to demand much more than a £3m upfront fee and I was under the impression that the deal was potentially worth £9m. I don't know how true that was exactly, but it was obvious that the £3m was not the end of the matter, which is how you've framed it.

I'm not particularly interested in what people have said about what a player was worth because of the contexts have clearly changed. He obviously wasn't a £20m+ player when he was with us. We ended up getting relegated, and didn't have a team good enough for promotion to the Championship, and there was no way of keeping him if we got relegated to L2, so we only stood to lose out.

Personally, I would've preferred to have held out for a £4-5m upfront fee, and since we've ended up with £5-6m, I'm satisfied with that.
Slated someone?

More like slated someone's method on here. And he has you defending him. This was about how he rated Maddison and how he said we got a great amount for someone who would struggle at Championship level. If he was right he would have told us all so. But he is much better than Grendel ever said he would be.

And to save face he now says that it was a good deal as we have got approx 5.5m for him. Yes it hasn't ended up bad. But it was supposed to be a very good deal only getting half of it. And words will be twisted to make it look like he always knew he would make it and we would get millions more. But that is not the case.

Warwickhunt

i think an England full cap selection kicks in a good clause as well which Norwich would have had to spread onto Leicester in their contract.

Grendel

Slated someone?

More like slated someone's method on here. And he has you defending him. This was about how he rated Maddison and how he said we got a great amount for someone who would struggle at Championship level. If he was right he would have told us all so. But he is much better than Grendel ever said he would be.

And to save face he now says that it was a good deal as we have got approx 5.5m for him. Yes it hasn't ended up bad. But it was supposed to be a very good deal only getting half of it. And words will be twisted to make it look like he always knew he would make it and we would get millions more. But that is not the case.

No it’s about valuation of an asset in the current position the asset is in.

No club would have paid more and he would have depreciated if he’d stayed.

This appears to be beyond your comprehension

Astute

No it’s about valuation of an asset in the current position the asset is in.

No club would have paid more and he would have depreciated if he’d stayed.

This appears to be beyond your comprehension
No it isn't. And however much you say so doesn't change what was said at the time.

You said he would struggle to make it in the Championship. So the fee paid was very good. You make out that most of our young players are not that good. Your latest target is Biamou.

Grendel

No it isn't. And however much you say so doesn't change what was said at the time.

You said he would struggle to make it in the Championship. So the fee paid was very good. You make out that most of our young players are not that good. Your latest target is Biamou.

Find one post that said he’d struggle to make it in the championship

Again Biamou is one of the older players in the team

Astute

Biamou is 27 tbf, I wouldn’t really place him in the young player category
I meant that he doesn't rate our young players and always targets at least one player. But yes not worded very well :smuggrin:

Users who are viewing this thread