Jimmy Carr (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Why do you keep chucking out the word hypocrite then? For people calling out him for being an unfunny twat and a really poor joke?

Change it for a joke about unvaccinated, tories or [insert others here] dying and some of the same people who have an issue with it would be laughing their heads off.

It just depends what the bandwagon is that day.

SBT

In all fairness re: outline outrage, I do think it can be silly when people deliberately seek out opinions that are different from their own and then make a big showy fuss on their own social media platforms about how offensive it all is, and how they'd never think the same way, before getting stuck into endless circular arguments about something that isn't even that relevant to their everyday life. We can all agree on that.

Anyway - Nick, you found any more angry tweets you can share with us?

Ian1779

Change it for a joke about unvaccinated, tories or [insert others here] dying and some of the same people who have an issue with it would be laughing their heads off.

It just depends what the bandwagon is that day.
Whereas you would become the outraged in that example?

Nick

Administrator

No, it might be a funny joke so I'd probably laugh. It would still be a joke. His joke about unvaccinated people was also funny.

Much the same as when Sick Boy was trying to say people would be outraged if it was about British people. Not at all, if it's a funny joke it's a funny joke.

shmmeee

Would he?

More likely from what I’ve seen of Nick he wouldn’t give a fuck.

There’s two schools of thought here: “jokes are jokes and the only criteria is do they make you laugh?” And “jokes are serious business and certain topics should never be used in a joke”.

I don’t see how you can police the latter personally, leaving aside who is right or wrong. But neither side is going to accept the other.

Sick Boy

No, it might be a funny joke so I'd probably laugh. It would still be a joke. His joke about unvaccinated people was also funny.

Much the same as when Sick Boy was trying to say people would be outraged if it was about British people. Not at all, if it's a funny joke it's a funny joke.
It was a joke about the mass murder of British people. We’ve already had an emotive reaction to the IRA on the thread since - just imagine if DoD made a joke about the IRA bombings on here.

shmmeee

It was a joke about the mass murder of British people. We’ve already had an emotive reaction to the IRA on the thread since - just imagine if DoD made a joke about the IRA bombings on here.

Youre giving reasons why you can’t police offence.

The BBC got loads of complaints from Corbyn fans when he was the butt of jokes. To them social justice is very important. So someone else it’s British soldiers. Someone else it’s rape, or cancer, or the Holocaust, or misogyny, or the plight of divorced fathers, or whether CCFC are a decent team.

There’s no line in the sand you can draw which has all universally offensive stuff one side and everything else the other.

Nick

Administrator

Yeah and if it was funny it would still be a funny joke.

IRA was mentioned because DoD was pretending to be outraged about this after having actual views. Much the same as Sultana. There are people who have actual, serious views and make comments about things but then get funny about something that's part of a stand-up comedy routine.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

On a side note, when did they tories become pro cancel culture?

They've always been for it, provided they get to choose what gets cancelled. Hence the constant criticism of the BBC because it doesn't act like a Chinese/Russian/North Korean state broadcaster and just say how great they are and how corrupt and evil those opposing them are.

Ian1779

Would he?

There’s two schools of thought here: “jokes are jokes and the only criteria is do they make you laugh?” And “jokes are serious business and certain topics should never be used in a joke”.

I don’t see how you can police the latter personally, leaving aside who is right or wrong. But neither side is going to accept the other.
I’m not arguing for it at all… I just think that for every argument that Carr has the right to make the joke, the argument for people being upset/offended (especially if the joke represents their culture) is just as valid.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Would he?

Yer, pretty much spot on.

And as far as I can tell, the hypocrisy Nick is referring to is people who cheerfully laugh along at some inappropriate jokes, but then kick off about one that's too close to home.

By all means, don't laugh, but don't moan about a joke about baldies when you've just laughed at a joke about gingers.

Sick Boy

Yer, pretty much spot on.

And as far as I can tell, the hypocrisy Nick is referring to is people who cheerfully laugh along at some inappropriate jokes, but then kick off about one that's too close to home.

By all means, don't laugh, but don't moan about a joke about baldies when you've just laughed at a joke about gingers.
Bald and ginger jokes are a bit different to mass genocide.

SBT

I’m not arguing for it at all… I just think that for every argument that Carr has the right to make the joke, the argument for people being upset/offended (especially if the joke represents their culture) is just as valid.

As I alluded to earlier, the people who make a display of being upset at the Jimmy Carr joke, and the people who make a display of being irritated at those who are offended have more in common with each other than they'd like to admit.

David O'Day

Nah, even i'm not that much of a c**t

shmmeee

Not really, I prefer more self-deprecating humour to targeting persecuted groups of people, racism and mass murder.

And I prefer burgers to noodles.

But this isn’t about our preferences. It’s about an idea that “something should be done” when we don’t prefer something someone does.

Sick Boy

But this isn’t about our preferences. It’s about an idea that “something should be done” when we don’t prefer something someone does.
Presumably you’d also defend someone’s right to make racist jokes in the public domain?

Grendel

David isn’t a professional comedian just a professional moron

jimmyhillsfanclub

I've not heard the joke & I'm no fan of Jimmy Carr......

...but I was a big fan of Jerry Sadowitz back in the day & he offended every c**t on earth......

hilarious, gob-smacking & uncomfortable in fairly equal measure.....

...turns out hes still at it :eek:

EDIT: Removed youtube link in case it was deemed "offensive" :cool:

Liquid Gold

But just as Netflix are free to air what they have people are free to say they don't want to contribute with their subscriptions.

I think no censorship is right but things that are generally seen as unacceptable (like the RCB stuff posted earlier) will find there isn't much of an audience for it.

shmmeee

Presumably you’d also defend someone’s right to make racist jokes in the public domain?

Honestly? I would. As I said earlier RCB is a much harder case, he’s clearly racist and his jokes are shit. But it’s still comedy, he’s not inciting violence.

I don’t think it’s a fair comparison to make, but yes I’d rather allow RCB and Carr than ban both.

How would you Police it otherwise? Why racist but not sexist or ageist or any other protected characteristic under the EA?

Grendel

But just as Netflix are free to air what they have people are free to say they don't want to contribute with their subscriptions.

I think no censorship is right but things that are generally seen as unacceptable (like the RCB stuff posted earlier) will find there isn't much of an audience for it.

Not much of an audience?

shmmeee

And as long as it stays that way it’s all good, it’s a delicate balance we’ve got about right. When you’ve got politicians of both stripes talking about legislation that makes me nervous though. This government has a nasty authoritarian streak and I don’t want them deciding what’s appropriate speech.

Liquid Gold

And as long as it stays that way it’s all good, it’s a delicate balance we’ve got about right. When you’ve got politicians of both stripes talking about legislation that makes me nervous though. This government has a nasty authoritarian streak and I don’t want them deciding what’s appropriate speech.
Yeah I think for a lot on the left it would be a case of careful what you wish for.

shmmeee

The way this goes when politicians get involved is like the states where you start mandating anti Marxist education or banning CRT. If I were progressive I’d be very careful pulling that thread.

Grendel

I'm clearly not talking about Carr, RCB = Roy Chubby Brown

lol fair enough. I think his shows were sold out. Well he claimed that anyway - thing is though that’s a behind closed doors event not televised and if you go you know what you are getting

shmmeee

lol fair enough. I think his shows were sold out. Well he claimed that anyway - thing is though that’s a behind closed doors event not televised and if you go you know what you are getting

This is an interesting point. Is Netflix more like broadcast TV or a show you choose to attend?

Grendel

This is an interesting point. Is Netflix more like broadcast TV or a show you choose to attend?

I subscribe to Netflix but I wouldn’t watch Jimmy Carr - it will have a lot of warnings about offensive material and you choose it or you don’t. Clearly old Royston isn’t going to get a televised gig ever but his offensiveness is his act I guess. Like you I don’t get it but he has made a career from it and dragged himself from abject poverty

Liquid Gold

I'd say the former. It's like a sky subscription, you pay your money monthly for access to the content they broadcast.

For it to be like a show you'd have to be subscribing particularly for that content. Like NFL gamepass.

skybluetony176

The government now promoting cancel culture, calling for boycott of Jimmy Carr. Still, nothing to do with being a distraction from the government’s ongoing issues I’m sure.

Users who are viewing this thread