Jordy Hiwula (1 Viewer)

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Is that what happened? I thought Godden chose us? I got the feeling Marquis was a panic buy having missed out on Godden, Eisa etc?
Nah they didn’t want to pay 750k. Think they had a bite of 500k rejected and they didn’t want to pay anymore

Mucca Mad Boys

Mad they had the choice between him at 2 mil and Godden at 750k

I wonder what’s happened to Marquis. Given the choice, I’d have chosen him over Gooden, at the time. Maybe Robins would have too, given his past interest in him.

Has Marquis become a bad player, or is Jackett playing tactics that don’t get the most out of him.

Either way, I’m glad we ended up with Gooden.

Frostie

I wonder what’s happened to Marquis. Given the choice, I’d have chosen him over Gooden, at the time. Maybe Robins would have too, given his past interest in him.

Has Marquis become a bad player, or is Jackett playing tactics that don’t get the most out of him.

Either way, I’m glad we ended up with Gooden.

John Marquis is a decent L1 striker but anybody would struggle to be prolific in Jackett's style.

Robin Fisher

Judging by comments on this forum it would suggest we haven't got the bargain of the season. I think Hiwula was signed because we were short of strikers before Ellis's injury so this is seen very much as a stop gap signing. Also I think that Jackett sees Hiwula as a player with pace that can come off the bench in games to stretch tiring defences. As for John Marquis I think it was a poor signing by Jackett in the first place. Not because I think Marquis is a bad player but because Jackett's preferred team line up is always defensive and only plays one up front, in short he fields boring teams built not to lose. Marquis is a good player but he needs someone up front with him because he is definitely not a target man. In Jackett's mind I think he would prefer a goalkeeper playing at center forward.

Robin Fisher

I note that Coventry are finding things a bit tougher in the Championship, as you would expect. That's not sour grapes because I thought Coventry were one of the better sides we played last season and deserved to go up. Do any of you expect to be able to go back to your old stadium in the near future or get a new ground of your own? I think with the players we have got we should have gone up but a no time did we ever look like a promotion team. I don't think we will make it this season either and we will have to wait until we can get a more progressive manager who likes attacking football.

shmmeee

I note that Coventry are finding things a bit tougher in the Championship, as you would expect. That's not sour grapes because I thought Coventry were one of the better sides we played last season and deserved to go up. Do any of you expect to be able to go back to your old stadium in the near future or get a new ground of your own? I think with the players we have got we should have gone up but a no time did we ever look like a promotion team. I don't think we will make it this season either and we will have to wait until we can get a more progressive manager who likes attacking football.

The jump in quality is Fucking huge!

God knows about the stadium. Rumours of maybe talks happening then rumours of maybe them breaking down. Almost certainly not this season.

As for a new ground, mostly well believe it when we see it, apparently it’s five years away. It’s been about that for the last six years. Maybe this is different, but you’d understand if we’re sceptical.

SkyblueTexan

Yeah he’s far superior to Biamou, the weird cult following he has is bizarre
I beg to differ. Hiwula was given plenty of opportunities at the start of last season, but his returns were paltry. Biamou on the other hand seems to have a much higher rate of return than Hiwula. Also, Biamou has a better work ethic/attitude and has a knack for coming up big in crucial moments (eg late goal vs Bolton last season, late spectacular goal vs Peterborough last season, spectacular overhead kick goal in second leg of playoffs vs Notts County etc).

SkyBlueSam01

Lots of very harsh comments on Hiwula on this thread imo... In reality he is a decent League 1 attacker who just didn't quite have the guile to have a real impact on what was the best team in the league last year. Had far more of a positive impact on our club than most of the dross we have had in the last couple of decades but not quite what we needed, thats all.

Terry Gibson's perm

Hiwula has a knack of scoring against former sides which is handy as he has had a few. He just isn’t clinical enough and doesn’t hold it well enough to play as a single striker

fernandopartridge

I beg to differ. Hiwula was given plenty of opportunities at the start of last season, but his returns were paltry. Biamou on the other hand seems to have a much higher rate of return than Hiwula. Also, Biamou has a better work ethic/attitude and has a knack for coming up big in crucial moments (eg late goal vs Bolton last season, late spectacular goal vs Peterborough last season, spectacular overhead kick goal in second leg of playoffs vs Notts County etc).
Hiwula 46 goals in 192 L1 games against Biamou, 4 in 19. OK.

Liquid Gold

The thing is he obviously had an attitude about not being the main man and then wouldn't put the work in after he was dropped which meant he got frozen out. Him taking this long to pick up a club hasn't done anything to dispel that.

I'm surprised he's gone to Pompey, they have better.

Reactions: TTG

Hertsccfc

Hiwula 46 goals in 192 L1 games against Biamou, 4 in 19. OK.
So that is a pretty similar strike rate. It's worth remembering that Biamou was coming back from an acl injury too. I feel Biamou adds more all round to the game.

Hiwula is a pretty limited player, although we have had far worse. He does have some skill though and when he gets good service like in the period we had Bright he can be effective and score goals.

Grendel

So that is a pretty similar strike rate. It's worth remembering that Biamou was coming back from an acl injury too. I feel Biamou adds more all round to the game.

Hiwula is a pretty limited player, although we have had far worse. He does have some skill though and when he gets good service like in the period we had Bright he can be effective and score goals.

“hiwula is a limited player” and you are comparing him to biamou - lol

fernandopartridge

Yes but over a much bigger sample with multiple clubs which is conclusive. Whereas Biamou hasn't proven much beyond those 19 appearances

Grendel

Yes but over a much bigger sample with multiple clubs which is conclusive. Whereas Biamou hasn't proven much beyond those 19 appearances

it would be like saying Josh Mcquiod was better as he netted 3 in 14 for us

Sick Boy

Point proven then.

Jamesimus

Hiwulas finishing was poor late in his career for us (Tranmere being one I can remember) but I wouldn't call him "limited". Had pace and was skillful with the ball at his feet.

Biamou I would describe as limited, despite the fact I love him.

Liquid Gold

Wimbledon at home last season I lost my rag with him. Was out clean through about 6 times but fucked all but one up, scored eventually but still after a defender fell over trying to block his shot after Jord’s tripped over the ball.

I’d have netted a hat trick that night.

Limey

Always liked the Hiwula song. What was the bit after 'he plays for City....'? Could never make that bit out.
Good luck Jordy.

Hertsccfc

Hiwulas finishing was poor late in his career for us (Tranmere being one I can remember) but I wouldn't call him "limited". Had pace and was skillful with the ball at his feet.

Biamou I would describe as limited, despite the fact I love him.

Hiwula is dangerous running onto the ball if he has good service and as I say has some skill. But his control is poor especially back to goal. That's why I see him as limited. If used right he can certainly be effective in League 1.

Buamou has more to his game in my view. He can hold the ball and bring other players into play. He is good in the air too. Not necessarily better but does have more facets to his game.

Hobo

He did my nut in against Wimbledon last year. He scored but missed about 5 sitters and it was becoming clear he couldn’t strike the ball properly. Then that dreadful showing at MK was it for him.

Freddie Eastwood is the worst professional I have ever seen for not striking a ball cleanly. It is what makes professional or ex professional footballers standout. Even ones who havent achieved much - they know where the balls sweet spot is and can ping it. Eastwood may as well have worn wellies and kicked a balloon full of water.

Hobo

Wiki stats often paint a fraction of the picture. To my mind he has plenty of ability - but again that only paints a fraction of the picture.

Practically all professional footballers have ability - what divides the very good from the average and poor is mindset and mental strength.

Two things that really impact on a players development is injury and confidence.

Tommo1993

Was singing that song all the way home from Sunderland after that 4-5 win. Can’t stand La Bamba ever since.

Robin Fisher

Coventry, arguably, were the best team last season by the very fact they went up as champions, however, I do think other teams had better players. When Coventry got a 3-3 draw at Fratton Park, even though they were down to 9 men and trailing 3-1, they showed the character and team spirit to get the draw. That showed that they really did have a good team but whether they had the best players in the league is a different matter. In my opinion Peterborough had the best players, talent wise, in the league and I also think Pompey had better players overall as well. I think this season's League 1 is much stronger than last season and it is going to be much more difficult to win it. I don't think Pompey will win the title this season because they don't have what Coventry had last season. I think we have got very talented players for League 1 and, possibly, the best squad but we don't have a manager like Coventry have got. I also think that not having any crowd in effects Pompey's, just as it affects all clubs, but crowd at Fratton can really make a difference to the team. Anyway I hope Coventry can make a go of it at the higher level as clubs such as them do not belong in League 1 and I hope the ground situation can get sorted sooner rather than later.

Skyblueweeman

Coventry, arguably, were the best team last season by the very fact they went up as champions, however, I do think other teams had better players. When Coventry got a 3-3 draw at Fratton Park, even though they were down to 9 men and trailing 3-1, they showed the character and team spirit to get the draw. That showed that they really did have a good team but whether they had the best players in the league is a different matter. In my opinion Peterborough had the best players, talent wise, in the league and I also think Pompey had better players overall as well. I think this season's League 1 is much stronger than last season and it is going to be much more difficult to win it. I don't think Pompey will win the title this season because they don't have what Coventry had last season. I think we have got very talented players for League 1 and, possibly, the best squad but we don't have a manager like Coventry have got. I also think that not having any crowd in effects Pompey's, just as it affects all clubs, but crowd at Fratton can really make a difference to the team. Anyway I hope Coventry can make a go of it at the higher level as clubs such as them do not belong in League 1 and I hope the ground situation can get sorted sooner rather than later.

I saw Pompey a few times last season as I live down here and got invited by mates who had spare tickets. Your crowd point is interesting as they no doubt do lift the team but by the same token, I know many hate KJ which then came through on matchdays. So actually, lack of fans could be helping as much as hindering. Probably helping to keep him in a job!

Tommo1993

Got Pompey in my outright EW fourfold. If they can hurry up and kick Jackett out, that’ll be good!

fatso

I have a feeling that Hiwula will look really good while he’s playing for his future, But the test will come when and if he gets a longer contract.
He strikes me as a player who will sulk and go missing if he doesn’t get his way. It will be interesting to follow his career over the next year or two.

Users who are viewing this thread