Just wandering... (1 Viewer)

RichieGunns

What people would do if we re-envisaged the club? It was suggested that we should dump our "Sky Blue" name, stop harping on about 1987, change our strip colours and create a new identity much like Jimmy Hill did back in the 60's.

Now I'm not saying I entirely agree with it but I do see the merits of it. It's not just the players that are demoralized. Its the club as a whole. I think they're is a rot/disease at the core of our beloved club that has been allowed the fester for far too long. We've been miss managed from the top down to the very bottom since the days of Richardson and things don't look like they're getting any better :(

So my question to you is this. If we did start again from the bottom up. What would you rename our club, what colours would we play in etc.

I look at it from a historical sense. I think that if we did change our name we should go back to being 'The Bantoms' like we were before Jimmy Hill changed our name back in 62'. Other names we had were 'The little Blackbirds' which was due to the red and black kit we wore and because of how small our players were. A simple change to 'The Blackbirds' would still keep the historical link etc. The other was 'The Peeping Toms' and thats obviously linked to the Godiva story.

An original idea from me would be something like 'The Godiva Bantoms' or 'The Godiva Blackbirds'. They link our previous history from the early days with the history of Coventry itself. I strongly believe that our club has divorced itself from the city of Coventry and that's why players don't have any pride in our club because their is nothing to be proud of. If we reinvent the club and link it strongly to the history of the city, it outs more at stake because the players aren't just playing for the club and it's history but also for the city and it's history.

As for kit colour, back in 1883 we used to wear red and black which was singers corporate colours. We also wore Red and Green which is Coventrys civic colours. Sky blue was used on a kit in 1889 so we could keep it for away kits etc if people wanted it to stay in some way or another. Another kit we used to wear before the sky blue revolution was Royal Blue with white strikes and I've seen pictures of a kit that had a royal blue centre with sky blue arms.

I'd consider a kit made up of Red, Green and Black for our home and then maybe the away kit could have royal blue, sky blue and white.

So what are people thoughts?

Attachments

• coventrycity1.jpg
    coventrycity1.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 27

RichieGunns

What? I don't understand the question. If there's a mistake in my message then it's down to .my auto correct but I'm not seeing one just right now.

I read someone's response to another thread and they suggested this. I want to know what peoples thoughts are on it.

skybluejelly

What? I don't understand the question. If there's a mistake in my message then it's down to .my auto correct but I'm not seeing one just right now.

I read someone's response to another thread and they suggested this. I want to know what peoples thoughts are on it.

its because you put just wandering instead of wondering...

RichieGunns

Just roaming, I think it is more to do with the players/manager/board.

None of those three things are right with our club hence the downward spiral.

But that doesn't answer my question. I'm asking what you would call us and what colour strips would we play in if we reinvented ourselves as a club... lol :)

Last edited:

ampthill_sba

Keep Sky Blue no need to change BUT...if we had to change I'd go for an all black strip and call ourselves 'The Coven' ....put a hex on our opposition.

@richh87

But that doesn't answer my question. I'm asking what you would call us and what colour strips would we play in if we reinvested ourselves as a club... lol :)

Haha, Richie - think you mean reinvented. ;)

I would name the club something else to try and be more inclusive to the towns of Warwickshire; but then Coventry isn't technically in Warwickshire - so I guess you might lose a lot of the Coventry based support that way...

I wouldn't play in Sky Blue that's for sure. It makes us look like pansies.

I'd have the stadium at the bottom of the A46 as it enters Coventry (near the London Road).

And lots of other things too...

Colonel Mustard

What people would do if we re-envisaged the club? It was suggested that we should dump our "Sky Blue" name, stop harping on about 1987, change our strip colours and create a new identity much like Jimmy Hill did back in the 60's.

I'd be fine with this. The problem is that you'd need the right person to launch the 'renaissance' - fans would not get behind SISU and would see it as trampling on history.

If it were to happen one day I do like the green and black kits, and think you're absolutely right about incorporating our history into the club's themes, especially Lady Godiva - the one icon that gives us global recognition.

Skybluefaz

I'd be fine with this. The problem is that you'd need the right person to launch the 'renaissance' - fans would not get behind SISU and would see it as trampling on history.

If it were to happen one day I do like the green and black kits, and think you're absolutely right about incorporating our history into the club's themes, especially Lady Godiva - the one icon that gives us global recognition.

So does Clive Owen.

Otis

Keep Sky Blue no need to change BUT...if we had to change I'd go for an all black strip and call ourselves 'The Coven' ....put a hex on our opposition.

More likely to change it to 'The Convent' cos we won't get out of the habit of losing. :facepalm:

@richh87

If money was no obstacle maybe i'd knock down the absolutely crap town centre and put the stadium in the middle of the ring road, raised up so people look up at it in awe :) It would certainly be a focal point for the community then. I think that the Ricoh's location makes people feel like it has nothing to do with Coventry.

I believe St James' Park in Newcastle has a central setting and looks imposing which makes people view it in a very different way (correct me if i'm wrong i've never been).

I would give shit loads of free tickets away to schools. These kids are our future generations of support. There's no reason why we can't do this now, in real life! We have nearly 20,000 empty seats - why not just make it free for anyone under the age of 10 to come?! Make the adults accompanying them pay for their own tickets; maybe at a discounted rate.

I would have us play in a black home strip with a red and green badge. This is mainly because I read the findings of a study that showed different colours have different success in sport. Red promotes fear in those playing against it (not surprising as red is our natural warning colour, blood, traffic lights blah blah blah). The only one that came out on top against red was black; so black it is.

In my new awesome stadium there would be a policy that seats are filled from the front row back, so that no matter how low the attendance the fans would always be close together around the pitch to generate an atmosphere.

The ground would be part-council owned and part owned by the fans in the form of shares. That way everyone involved would strive to make it a success...

Last edited:

ccfctommy

If we ever sell out like Cardiff did and change the colours. I would definitely stop going up for good.

RichieGunns

Haha, Richie - think you mean reinvented. ;)

Yeah I edited it before your post came up. Stupid auto correct!

Yeah I think giving the club a bigger linked to the city (history, colours etc) as well as the clubs on roots (singers, bikes, their colours etc) would give this club a very goods image, something we lack right now. Add Godiva into it and I think we'd be on to a winner!

I think our badge would still need the elephant as that's a part of the cities history but having lady Godiva on the badge would also look good. I agree with your comment about Godiva being internationally recognised. We need to build a solid image that people will respect and also be intimidated by.

For the home kit I was thinking Black shorts with a red and green top and socks. And I think it should be mandatory that all players must play in black boots so as not to have colour clashes (you know which players I'm talking about lol).

For the away kit I'm thinking white shorts with a royal blue chest and sky blue sleeves for the top and the socks can again match the shirt. Same goes for the bloody boots. Black all round :D

This incorporates our clubs early history when it comes to kits and it's origins and still has variety for those fans who like to buy both kits etc.

Personally starting to like THE GODIVA BLACKBIRDS as a name. Would be amusing though to call ourselves THE PEEPING TOMS. I think we'd be the only club to get away with it LMAO!

RichieGunns

If we ever sell out like Cardiff did and change the colours. I would definitely stop going up for good.

I'm not suggesting selling out. Cardiff had this forced on them. I've spoken to a mate of mine who supports cardiff and he said that despite a fan vote against the change, the only way cardiff could save themselves was too accept the buyers terms. None of them are happy with it but the bottom line is, if they hadn't done it, Cardiff would have gone into administration. He got his info from someone who works at the club.

RichieGunns

I think his ex was wondering if he was wandering and that is why she/he became an ex

Nope it was nothing to do with my hands or the difference between wandering and wondering. I only broke up with her 2 weeks ago and considering I was going to ask her to marry me, it was a little bit of a shock when it ended :(

Anyway back to Coventrys city lol...

ccfc luke

Why bother even talking about changing name/kit. Its ridiculous. We are coventry city fc, we have a sky blue kit. simple as. Why change it?

@richh87

Why bother even talking about changing name/kit. Its ridiculous. We are coventry city fc, we have a sky blue kit. simple as. Why change it?

I'm sure people said the same thing when we changed it about 50 years ago.

Maybe because it's shit and seemingly unlucky...

RichieGunns

For the reason stated in my first post. Shall I give you an overview?

*We are a broken club with a rotten core trying vainly to hold on to past glories and our premiership past. We surround ourselves with our greatest moment (FA cup win) and delude ourselves into thinking we're still a great club when the truth is we're not.

*Changing the clubs name and colours using club and city history will reinvigorate our club, give us new purpose and give us the drive we have been seriously lacking since the early 90's. Using club history (singers colours and name) and city history (civic colours and Godiva) will forge a link between the city and the club that has been seriously lacking for some time now (once again since the 90's)

There are list of reasons why we should be discussing it. Sticking to what we are will get us no where. Holding onto to sky blue revolution will do us no good. Start a new revolution and see where it takes us is what I say!

Last edited:

ccfc luke

It wont reinvigorate the club though, well in my opinion it wont. Almost all of ccfc fans only support the club because of our half decent history. If we ditched everything that identifies us with that then that would most probably drive a lot of the fans away. If we "started a new revolution" now, how would we be any different from Stevenage and most of the other nothing clubs that we play against?

RichieGunns

I'm with Richie on this - I think our club is pathetic in pretty much every way.

Us Rich's should stick together lol!

And I'm glad someone feels the same way I do. Until we stop the rot, our club will continue falling. If we don't stop it, we may not have a club in a few years and we'll be supporting the vile or Birmingham. Do any of you want that?

Alternatively we could do what Wimbledone did and create AFCCoventry if the worst came to the worst!

J

Jack Griffin

Hills original choice was to hijack the colours of the champions, then as now, Manchester City. Full circle..

Evans020

I'd play in royal blue and white..have our song centred around the words " pheonix rising " .have a 26000 stadium with tier at one end ends.nickname" royal blues" .renamed Coventry City AFC.have the away fans sit along the side of the pitch giving them 3000 by the corner flag.would have I would also try and have a kop at one end .and have all proper stand names .kop, north end , main stand , family stand, and of course the pheonix stand lol.oh and I'd have the stadium near many pubsid have a club shop in west orchards and at central 6. And I'd pay all the major sports outlets to sell ccfc shirts around coventry

Last edited:

lordsummerisle

Think we should change our name to Coventr iCity and get sponsored by Apple.

We could get relaunched every 18 months with negligible changes to the kit, but people will rush out all over the world to buy it as it's all shiny and new.

Users who are viewing this thread