Kurt Zouma (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

Its an awkward one isn't it. As you can probably tell from my pic, I'm quite fond of cats, animals in general actually. However put yourself in West Hams shoes... it would be a heck of a lot of money to write off (30 million?) were they to sack him. Only for another opportunistic club to pick him up for nothing afterwards I'm sure.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

What is the threshold of animal cruelty needed to be met before money isn’t a defence?

TomRad85

What is the threshold of animal cruelty needed to be met before money isn’t a defence?
Dunno, enough for jail time probably, then you force the clubs hand. The threshold for what gets you sent to jail for animal cruelty should be lowered imo, but that's a different/political debate. As it stands I fully understand West Ham not wanting to bin 30 million quid.

Brighton Sky Blue

That’s quite an idealistic way to look at it. The cost of applying a legal/moral code is always going to be a consideration, whether we like it or not.

It is also basically the question we’re asking-at what point does a millionaire get dismissed for offences the ordinary person would be binned off for?

Take the case of a teacher sacked recently for being filmed abusing a horse

SBT

It is also basically the question we’re asking-at what point does a millionaire get dismissed for offences the ordinary person would be binned off for?

Take the case of a teacher sacked recently for being filmed abusing a horse

Right, but I’m saying it’s a more complicated question than most people think. It’s almost never going to be a case of ‘Hit a certain threshold and [x] automatically happens’

Clearly someone caught being cruel to animals should face serious personal (and legal) consequences. But the liabilities of their employer depend on a lot of complex factors - the question of who suffers and who benefits needs to be taken into account, whether you’re a teacher, a janitor, or a pro footballer. You can make an argument for a good teacher getting fined, suspended and ultimately keeping their job if the alternative would mean the students and school needlessly suffering as a result. Presumably West Ham are trying to make the same argument. Like it or not, his talent and value are material to the conversation.

curly_tom

The irony of someone having to resign their hunt membership for being cruel to an animal

I also find an irony in people who eat meat getting so outraged about cruelty to a cat. I haven’t watched the video but I suspect it’s disgusting. I would think that everyone who eats chicken is directly causing more pain to an animal but we are all socially conditioned to care about cats but not about chickens. This comment will really annoy people but maybe we should think about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otis

I also find an irony in people who eat meat getting so outraged about cruelty to a cat. I haven’t watched the video but I suspect it’s disgusting. I would think that everyone who eats chicken is directly causing more pain to an animal but we are all socially conditioned to care about cats but not about chickens. This comment will really annoy people but maybe we should think about this.

It has always puzzled me as to how many people will say "oh, I love chicken. I love pork and beef etc, but I couldn't eat a little bunny rabbit." 🤷

My daughter was like this. She said she was happy eating a cow or a pig or a sheep, but could not ever bring herself to eat a duck, or a deer, or a rabbit

It's all about conditioning isn't it

robbiekeane

I find animal cruelty abhorrent but it’s amazing how people turn a blind eye to the meat, dairy and clothing industries.
But why is this some people’s response to bad things…”well these other things are worse”?

I just don’t get it. Other things can be bad as well, they aren’t mutually exclusive

Sick Boy

But why is this some people’s response to bad things…”well these other things are worse”?

I just don’t get it. Other things can be bad as well, they aren’t mutually exclusive
As I said, I find animal abuse abhorrent and cats are probably one of my biggest weaknesses.
Animal cruelty is animal cruelty though, it’s not “something else”.

Last edited:

TomRad85

Yes I had a burger for lunch so I may as well boot my cat over the fence. In fact any animal that comes near me from now on I'm just gonna see how far I can kick it, I may as well as I already enjoy a hotdog.
Load of rubbish.
Also these discussions have been played out on this forum and it was a shit show like every other discussion.

SBAndy

Its an awkward one isn't it. As you can probably tell from my pic, I'm quite fond of cats, animals in general actually. However put yourself in West Hams shoes... it would be a heck of a lot of money to write off (30 million?) were they to sack him. Only for another opportunistic club to pick him up for nothing afterwards I'm sure.

Appreciate it’s a different situation, but isn’t there a pseudo-precedent from when Chelsea sacked Adrian Mutu for drug use and he then became liable for compensation of the unamortised transfer fee (I did have to look that bit up, but knew there was a fine of sorts)?

I’d like to see clubs taking a harder stance as it’s clear gross misconduct and the money situation should take care of itself.

curly_tom

Yes I had a burger for lunch so I may as well boot my cat over the fence. In fact any animal that comes near me from now on I'm just gonna see how far I can kick it, I may as well as I already enjoy a hotdog.
Load of rubbish.
Also these discussions have been played out on this forum and it was a shit show like every other discussion.

My point isn’t that people should kick their cats but that they shouldn’t eat the pigs. Obviously I’m not telling you or anyone else how you should treat animals, just pointing out the irony. As Otis says we are conditioned to be kind to cats and to eat pigs that we know have been mistreated. It’s an interesting topic for discussion.

NorthernWisdom

It has always puzzled me as to how many people will say "oh, I love chicken. I love pork and beef etc, but I couldn't eat a little bunny rabbit." 🤷

My daughter was like this. She said she was happy eating a cow or a pig or a sheep, but could not ever bring herself to eat a duck, or a deer, or a rabbit

It's all about conditioning isn't it
Rabbits were the main meat until relatively recently.

Brighton Sky Blue

My point isn’t that people should kick their cats but that they shouldn’t eat the pigs. Obviously I’m not telling you or anyone else how you should treat animals, just pointing out the irony. As Otis says we are conditioned to be kind to cats and to eat pigs that we know have been mistreated. It’s an interesting topic for discussion.

Well for most of human history people didn’t eat animals out of cruelty but for nutrition. Only really in the last few decades has it been possible to get the same nutrition from entirely plant based sources.

TomRad85

Appreciate it’s a different situation, but isn’t there a pseudo-precedent from when Chelsea sacked Adrian Mutu for drug use and he then became liable for compensation of the unamortised transfer fee (I did have to look that bit up, but knew there was a fine of sorts)?

I’d like to see clubs taking a harder stance as it’s clear gross misconduct and the money situation should take care of itself.
Fair enough, if you are correct then I've actually learned something on the forum today. If they can recoup their cash, then they should be looking to bin him. They won't though.

curly_tom

Well for most of human history people didn’t eat animals out of cruelty but for nutrition. Only really in the last few decades has it been possible to get the same nutrition from entirely plant based sources.
Of course and I'm not trying to say that meat eaters are all cruel, it's what people do and I accept that. I just find an irony in people being (rightly) outraged about someone hurting their cat but will willingly tuck into a KFC or McDonalds when they know that many animals suffered a much worse fate in order for that burger to be on the plate. But we are all trained to switch off to those realities.

Brighton Sky Blue

Of course and I'm not trying to say that meat eaters are all cruel, it's what people do and I accept that. I just find an irony in people being (rightly) outraged about someone hurting their cat but will willingly tuck into a KFC or McDonalds when they know that many animals suffered a much worse fate in order for that burger to be on the plate. But we are all trained to switch off to those realities.

Well that is because meat eating has been the norm for thousands of years. To change attitudes there won’t happen overnight.

Greggs

he should have just got a pigeon, much harder to catch and kick and by the time you do finally catch it you're pretty much knackered.

JeffB

The most horrifiic by product of this dreadful episode is that I want Leicester to annihilate the morally bankrupt bastards this afternoon. I am so sorry. Will I be expelled from the Forum or burned at the stake for uttering such incurable heresy

skyblue1991

Would've started again for West Ham but got injured in the warm up supposedly

Why he is still being considered after what he has done without showing true remorse is beyond me. This can ruin a dressing room and cost points

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Would've started again for West Ham but got injured in the warm up supposedly

Why he is still being considered after what he has done without showing true remorse is beyond me. This can ruin a dressing room and cost points

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
"remorse" for something as awful as this simply doesn't cut it. He can say sorry all he likes but no one believes anyone who does this kind of stuff. Sorry for one reason : he's been caught.
Fortunately most people have a degree of empathy and respect for animals which seems to come naturally. This act is vindictive and downright evil. God knows what else he's done previously that we don't know about.
He should be dropped but won't be because football and money are more important.

Brighton Sky Blue

"remorse" for something as awful as this simply doesn't cut it. He can say sorry all he likes but no one believes anyone who does this kind of stuff. Sorry for one reason : he's been caught.
Fortunately most people have a degree of empathy and respect for animals which seems to come naturally. This act is vindictive and downright evil. God knows what else he's done previously that we don't know about.
He should be dropped but won't be because football and money are more important.

I mean you say caught, the way it was shared suggests he wanted others to see

Ccfcisparks

Has anyone stopped to think, what had the cat done in the lead up, and during the altercation with Zouma? Without context, I wouldn't like to judge.
What happened to the mantra of innocent till proven guilty. There is more than one side to this story. Trial by Media happening again.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I mean you say caught, the way it was shared suggests he wanted others to see
Camera, action ! You're right. Makes it even worse. He took pleasure in it and probably had anticipated what he was going to do.

Users who are viewing this thread