Lack of investment in playing squad (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Unless he's playing centre back I'm not sure I would. We've brought in strikers already, it's not really where we are short.
So it's about his choices rather than positions? If he had bought a striker and defender he would have invested in both

Nick

Administrator
And Im more concerned our transfer policy results in a lack of experience in vital areas.

But fuck it, let's ask how much McNulty cost again.
How do you know it's lack of investment though rather than robins having different priorities?

mark82

Er yes I did. Read.Your.Post.

Hence me asking when was the last time we spent a million for a player?

Can I also add that we have only one loan.(From Chelsea!)

Also I mentioned (as have others) about on-costs -significant even for frees or apparent low cost transfers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I didn't say we should be spending a million so I'm not sure on the relevance. Can you explain? Particularly when I've said 4 or 5 times since that it's not about fees. I think you may have misunderstood.

I'm also aware we only have one loan, which is good. There will have to be at least one more really to bolster CB. In my eyes needs to be someone experienced.

Manchester_sky_blue

Exactly, it's like they haven't actually read the posts they're replying to at all.

You don't find the sort of player I believe we need for free or cheap at this point. Ergo we needed to spend and didn't. Nothing to do with million pound players or frees at the start of the window.
Now who's talking nonsense. We desperately needed a left back and bought in two good players for that position, both on free transfers. We needed to strengthen at centre mid and we bought in Ogogo on a free. At our level, free transfers are the norm for the majority of clubs.

Sky Blue Harry H

I'll never understand why so many of our fans are always so keen to defend the lack of investment that goes into our playing squad in comparison to the money brought in. Just because we've had some good players come in on a free and some paid fees for some poor players doesn't negate the fact that you're much more likely to get a decent player if you're purchasing them from someone else as opposed to picking up scraps. The moment McNulty was sold we should have done what Reading have done to us and gone and bought Doidge or someone of that ilk. Someone with a proven track record of scoring goals, not multiple players with 'potential'. Signing players who might be good in a few years is fine, but you need to have some actual proven players in there as well to ensure that you're going to have a good chance at a positive season. Some of the players brought in by our League One rivals today put us to shame.
Which purchases have shamed us? Posh have replaced Marriott with a poorer version in Toney, B Rovers have bought Payne (wanted Bakayoko)...

mark82

Ok shouty boy, keep your Alan Wickers on mate, its just a forum.
The question is relevant though. Was zero spent on McNulty a lack of investment also? If the nominal fees spent on the 2 new front lads yields similar goal ratios then that is fantastic investment, not a lack of it. (remains to be seen of course)

Apologies, just getting sick of people not understanding that it's not about the size of the fee. It's also not about the players we have signed, it's about the gaps still left (one in particular which is not up front).

Grendel

We are short of a defender. Another striker would be a nice to have.

We have 5 strikers already - 4 signed by robins

Manchester_sky_blue

Colclough to Scunthorpe, Toney to Peterborough, Ricky Holmes to Oxford, Stefan Payne to Bristol Rovers and Ollie Norburn to Shrewsbury all great signings and either loans or within the price range we've been offering for Chaplin.
Most of those were undisclosed fees and Holmes has only moved on loan. I think calling them 'great signings' is overstating it somewhat too. We beat several clubs to the signings of Ogogo and Brown and it looks as though Mason and Allisani are handy as well. Supposedly Sterling chose to come to us on loan over a couple of championship teams.

Toney is a decent player but he will have cost biggish money that we don't have.

Manchester_sky_blue

Not completely true is it. Man City have done OK since splashing the cash. I know what you are saying but it's rare to get a McNulty for free.
Obviously I am talking about league one/two level. Free transfers or small transfer fees are the norm at this level is the point im making

CCFC_Charlie

Most of those were undisclosed fees and Holmes has only moved on loan. I think calling them 'great signings' is overstating it somewhat too. We beat several clubs to the signings of Ogogo and Brown and it looks as though Mason and Allisani are handy as well. Supposedly Sterling chose to come to us on loan over a couple of championship teams.

Toney is a decent player but he will have cost biggish money that we don't have.
Pompey press are reporting we'd offered 375k for Chaplin, that would have landed pretty much all of those and I think they'd all have improved our team, especially Colclough (lacking RW depth), Holmes (lacking attacking midfield depth) and Toney (although suspect if any are out of our price range it would be him).

mark82

Now who's talking nonsense. We desperately needed a left back and bought in two good players for that position, both on free transfers. We needed to strengthen at centre mid and we bought in Ogogo on a free. At our level, free transfers are the norm for the majority of clubs.

I think the point he's making is that the majority of out of contract players of appropraite quality have now been signed rather than we shouldn't sign people on a free. If the right man is there that would be ideal.

mark82

We have 5 strikers already - 4 signed by robins

Yep, hence why it's a nice to have, not an essential. By leaving the number 10 shirt unassigned it's not a stretch to think Robins may still bring someone in up front on loan.

mark82

Pompey press are reporting we'd offered 375k for Chaplin, that would have landed pretty much all of those and I think they'd all have improved our team, especially Colclough (lacking RW depth), Holmes (lacking attacking midfield depth) and Toney (although suspect if any are out of our price range it would be him).

Not sure any of those are positions of massive need to be honest.

Nick

Administrator
Apologies, just getting sick of people not understanding that it's not about the size of the fee. It's also not about the players we have signed, it's about the gaps still left (one in particular which is not up front).

Thats not about investment then? Its MR seeing other positions as priority.

Grendel

What are your views on the strikers we have?

One is out his depth and the other 3 are similar in style I guess.

Ponticelli isn’t a contender and has a lot of work to do

mark82

Thats not about investment then? Its MR seeing other positions as priority.

Well, yes, free transfers still cost money. I suspect he hasn't been able to get anyone of the right quality, in which case letting Rod go was a mistake.

Grendel

I know you agree that we are short on defensive cover from your posts over the last few days.

We are but most people are foaming at the mouth at selling a striker for over s million - not a defender for a bag of crisps

fernandopartridge

I'll never understand why so many of our fans are always so keen to defend the lack of investment that goes into our playing squad in comparison to the money brought in. Just because we've had some good players come in on a free and some paid fees for some poor players doesn't negate the fact that you're much more likely to get a decent player if you're purchasing them from someone else as opposed to picking up scraps. The moment McNulty was sold we should have done what Reading have done to us and gone and bought Doidge or someone of that ilk. Someone with a proven track record of scoring goals, not multiple players with 'potential'. Signing players who might be good in a few years is fine, but you need to have some actual proven players in there as well to ensure that you're going to have a good chance at a positive season. Some of the players brought in by our League One rivals today put us to shame.

Because your understanding is based on the premise that the club runs on a self sufficient basis. The fact that it has made a loss for 25 consecutive years goes above your head.

Nick

Administrator
Well, yes, free transfers still cost money. I suspect he hasn't been able to get anyone of the right quality, in which case letting Rod go was a mistake.

If he wants out and somebody offers a fee and he is going to possibly upset the group it's not a mistake. McDonald was way down the pecking order, it's not like it was Willis.

Thompson was going to overtake him in Robins favour as well.

It's still not about investment, it's about Robins choices / priorities.

mark82

We are but most people are foaming at the mouth at selling a striker for over s million - not a defender for a bag of crisps

I still think Robins believes we're a striker short too but can't say we don't have options.

Samo

I think from a L1 perspective, if we've signed a freebie and sold him on for 1.2m and then paid fees for prospects in the same position (in line with the business model), you can't honestly call that lack of investment. The CB situation is another thing and may yet be resolved through the loan/free route.

Grendel

I still think Robins believes we're a striker short too but can't say we don't have options.

Which is odd as he’s signed 3 and sold 1

Manchester_sky_blue

Rod wouldn't have made the bench as Thompson has been promoted ahead of him. So can't really see how letting him go, for a fee no less, is a mistake?

Nick

Administrator
Not sure why else he'd leave the number 10 free. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

It's not investment then if he gets a number 10, it's about his priorities isn't it if he is going for loads of strikers?

Hobo

Having players with potential is good, and so is managing the club well financially, but we've brought in a significant amount of cash this pre-season thanks to the Maddison sell on, the McNulty sale and on top of that the extra revenue from last season's promotion and cup run and it feels like we could have done a lot more with it to give ourselves a better chance of a successful season. The noises coming out of the club are that we're aiming for promotion again this season, but has the business done since McNulty was sold really reflected that?

1. Don't spend unless the player you want is available at the right price.

2. I think we have some really exciting permutations over the season.

3. Sometimes you need a holding season, let's face it we came good late.

4. It might be the same this year and if we just miss out it wouldn't be a disaster.

5. Adventurous football and tight games is what I expect. Just enjoy it.

mark82

I think from a L1 perspective, if we've signed a freebie and sold him on for 1.2m and then paid fees for prospects in the same position (in line with the business model), you can't honestly call that lack of investment. The CB situation is another thing and may yet be resolved through the loan/free route.

Yeah, to be fair I agree with the model. Just disappointed we've not signed at least another defender.

Sky Blue Pete

That’s nonsense. Right wing absolutely ok
Attacking midfield - Andreu, Bayliss, Kelly huh
You are too quick to think pessimisrically. Maybe work out what good players we have and enjoy

Captain Dart

And Im more concerned our transfer policy results in a lack of experience in vital areas.

But fuck it, let's ask how much McNulty cost again.

I'm more concerned that the policy is one that isn't one where you see the signings & say, yeah they're trying to get promoted again. Its not really at that level is it?

Sky Blue Harry H

I'm more concerned that the policy is one that isn't one where you see the signings & say, yeah they're trying to get promoted again. Its not really at that level is it?

I like the squad he's put together - if he filled the No 10 with a top notch loan, I'd be happy with what we've got (maybe a centre back extra - but not too fussed if Willis stays fit)

mark82

I like the squad he's put together - if he filled the No 10 with a top notch loan, I'd be happy with what we've got (maybe a centre back extra - but not too fussed if Willis stays fit)

I'd rather loans with an option to buy. Chaplin would be ideal in that respect. If that happens I'll be very happy (as long as it's a pre-agreed price).

I would prefer a signing at centre back but will be a loan now I guess. The issue of have with the centre back position is that we're lacking experience. If we get an experienced player on loan that would be ok in the short term.

I guess the problem is, when McDonald is sold you assume it's because we are going to strengthen our squad at a position of need. A loan is a short term filler for me rather than a solution. I had just hoped he was going because we were bringing in a better player than we had (particularly when we'd had rumours shortly afterwards that they were lining someone up).

Users who are viewing this thread