Lee Burge (1 Viewer)

skybluepm2

He made a decent save at the death, I'll give him that (albeit at his near post), yet the corner from which that chance arose was because of his poor communication, leading to Clarke heading against his own post, almost conceding a ridiculous own goal. Should've been the goalkeeper's ball all day long.

singers_pore

He made a decent save at the death, I'll give him that (albeit at his near post), yet the corner from which that chance arose was because of his poor communication, leading to Clarke heading against his own post, almost conceding a ridiculous own goal. Should've been the goalkeeper's ball all day long.

Clarke? Don't you mean Davis?

Irish Sky Blue

I think that some players will always be the bad guy in some supporters eyes. I am not the biggest fan of Lee Burge but I think he has improved greatly since first coming into the team. I thought he played well today, caught, punched and saved when he had to. No mistakes in these areas. His kicking can still be poor. I know he is aiming for the touch line area but I still think he can do better than kick it out two or three times a game. At the moment I think he is justifying the faith that previous managers plus Robins have shown in him and is deservedly number 1.

Otis

Exactly, people seem to forget we are in Division f**king 4. Long gone are the days of keepers like Oggy, Hedman and Westwood.

RCC basically threw about 4 into his own net in the first 6 or so games last season.

Errmmm....you sure about that? He threw about 4 into his own net?

Rather biased and blinkered, highly exaggerated view to be honest.

Burge played well today, kicking apart. Caught well, punched well and made a good save. Wasn't exactly fantastic territory I don't think.

Would say it was entirely wrong to suggest Burge was fine for the rest of the season last year. He was hardly that.

As I said before, Burge was nervy and not dominant in the box and RCC was hot-headed and the opposite, trying to claim everything and anything even if he didn't have any right to.

Would say most of us are happy if Burge plays well. There will hardly be anyone WANTING him to fail.

If he carries on like today he should be okay and steady enough.

johnwillomagic

Two games, two clean sheets cannot ask for too much more than that - he keeps his place. I think he has improved a lot O'Brien made a couple of bad cock ups Burge has come in and taken his opportunity and I think personally he has improved markedly. Certainly not the finished article but rightly our number one currently. Keep it up Lee!

Astute

Yes but he is in goal for a reason....
Usually because you can't kick.
Outfield players will always be under pressure so that is a poor excuse.
we have what we have because of the league we are in.
I am a GK. And it isn't because I can't kick. My placed kicks and throws are quite accurate to past the halfway line. And from my hands quite accurate to the other penalty area. Then I see a so called professional footballer who keeps giving away possession by kicking the ball out of play. And we have supporters that think he does fantastic when doing so.

He should practise until he can kick accurately. It isn't that hard.

skybluesam66

wasnt a bad performance today
league 2 - with league 2 players against other league 2 players
we need to make sure our league 2 players are better than the opposition - and today that was without doubt

roll on tuesday

skybluegod

I am a GK. And it isn't because I can't kick. My placed kicks and throws are quite accurate to past the halfway line. And from my hands quite accurate to the other penalty area. Then I see a so called professional footballer who keeps giving away possession by kicking the ball out of play. And we have supporters that think he does fantastic when doing so.

Didn't Robins say, that in training his kicking is decent?
And that it's only in matches that it's so shocking, and it's due to anxiety.
The only way I see him getting better if that's the case is more and more game time, and getting over his anxiety

Astute

Didn't Robins say, that in training his kicking is decent?
And that it's only in matches that it's so shocking, and it's due to anxiety.
The only way I see him getting better if that's the case is more and more game time, and getting over his anxiety
If he is anxious during a game he is in the wrong trade.

Adge

If we are happy to place our trust in Burge as our number 1 he will not take us forward. I've stood by that statement for the last 3 seasons. Please feel free to shoot me down with this come the end of the season.

Mucca Mad Boys

Two games, two clean sheets. The prior two with O'Brien, two mistakes. As it stands, most of our goals concede are from O'Brien's mistakes alone and he was deservedly dropped. But, I think these are both good keepers for L2 and competition for starting spots is good.

rupert_bear

Since coming back into the first team at the tail end of last season Leigh Burge has improved been fairly consistent and played okay, starting to command his goal area better, keeps his goal well and has made decent saves when called upon.

Why have this thread about him ?

Pathetic really, says hypocritically me who is replying on here !
When I read through the various posts on this and other threads though on this website i get the feeling there are those disappointed he's playing better and being more consistent and seem to enjoy hightlighting his kicking weakness which of course needs addressing and I'm sure will be.
Mind you there's bound to be goal due to a Burge ricket sooner or later so be patient ffs !

Last edited:

torchomatic

Two games, two clean sheets. The prior two with O'Brien, two mistakes. As it stands, most of our goals concede are from O'Brien's mistakes alone and he was deservedly dropped. But, I think these are both good keepers for L2 and competition for starting spots is good.

You're not counting the Shrewsbury game where he let three in then?

pastythegreat

And the 2 prior to that was OB 2 games 2 clean sheets! They're soon forgotten about.
I don't get this fixation with people calling for competition for starting places with the GK. It's a fucking ridiculous notion. A good, experienced GK will (should) save a team more points over the course of the season than what he'll cost them.
Take for example Tottenham v Chelsea. Hugo Lloris I thought made a dreadful error and cost Tottenham the game. Was he watching his back though, like a nervous wreck that his 1st mistake meant that his back up keeper was in goal til he fucked up? Then vice-versa? No, he's stuck with. He's number 1 and will be there til he's injured or suspended. Name me a single premier league club that, instead of having and experienced number 1 in goal, have instead got 2 bang average keepers on each other's toes waiting for a blunder??? Not fucking 1, that's how many!!! How well has it worked for us so far?? And this is our 3rd or 4th season with this scenario! Hasn't worked so far for a reason! The best of the 2 needs to stay as back up and a proper 1st team keeper should be put in place, without the fear of the first mistake he makes he bench warming.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

pastythegreat

Since coming back into the first team at the tail end of last season Leigh Burge has improved been fairly consistent and played okay, starting to command his goal area better, keeps his goal well and has made decent saves when called upon.

Why have this thread about him ?

Pathetic really, says hypocritically me who is replying on here !
When I read through the various posts on this and other threads though on this website i get the feeling there are those disappointed he's playing better and being more consistent and seem to enjoy hightlighting his kicking weakness which of course needs addressing and I'm sure will be.
Mind you there's bound to be goal due to a Burge ricket sooner or later so be patient ffs !
I honestly can't see how or when he will improve on his kicking. He's been with us since the sixfields era. His kicking was woeful Then, 4 years on he should surely of improved it by now??? If he hasn't improved it in 4 seasons, I doubt he will

Mucca Mad Boys

And the 2 prior to that was OB 2 games 2 clean sheets! They're soon forgotten about.
I don't get this fixation with people calling for competition for starting places with the GK. It's a fucking ridiculous notion. A good, experienced GK will (should) save a team more points over the course of the season than what he'll cost them.
Take for example Tottenham v Chelsea. Hugo Lloris I thought made a dreadful error and cost Tottenham the game. Was he watching his back though, like a nervous wreck that his 1st mistake meant that his back up keeper was in goal til he fucked up? Then vice-versa? No, he's stuck with. He's number 1 and will be there til he's injured or suspended. Name me a single premier league club that, instead of having and experienced number 1 in goal, have instead got 2 bang average keepers on each other's toes waiting for a blunder??? Not fucking 1, that's how many!!! How well has it worked for us so far?? And this is our 3rd or 4th season with this scenario! Hasn't worked so far for a reason! The best of the 2 needs to stay as back up and a proper 1st team keeper should be put in place, without the fear of the first mistake he makes he bench warming.

I'm well aware that he started with 2 clean sheets, and a fantastic performance against Blackburn. In the league though, he's responsible for 66% of our goals... he had to get dropped.

Whilst it's not as important having competition between keepers, it certainly can't harm. O'Brien was signed to be 2nd choice but clearly earned his starts this year when the opportunity presented itself.

Burge will be a more than good enough GK for a L2, I think he just gets a lot of bad press...

You're not counting the Shrewsbury game where he let three in then?

I'm only counting league games tbh.

Otis

I honestly can't see how or when he will improve on his kicking. He's been with us since the sixfields era. His kicking was woeful Then, 4 years on he should surely of improved it by now??? If he hasn't improved it in 4 seasons, I doubt he will

Bottom line is, every time he kicks it straight out of play he is giving the ball back to the opposition.

stevefloyd

Its the same with players who take corners too... dreadful deliveries i still cannot understand why a professional player cannot kick the ball properly what do they do in training?

stevefloyd

Bottom line is, every time he kicks it straight out of play he is giving the ball back to the opposition.
Absolutely... if its a tight game you need to keep the ball and if we keep giving the ball away cheaply its more work for our players to again win the ball back

torchomatic

itsabuzzard

Yes but he is in goal for a reason....
Usually because you can't kick.
Outfield players will always be under pressure so that is a poor excuse.
we have what we have because of the league we are in.
WTF? Surely he's in goal because he's good at goalkeeping? By the same logic, every outfield player is only there cos they're shit keepers. Nuts.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

lifeskyblue

Lee burge could have pulled off the save that kept us ahead in the checkatrade trophy final and saved us at the death yesterday to keep us ahead. I have not always been his biggest fan BUT credit where it is due.
Yes his kicking needs to be worked on but then again that could be said of every player in the team (some dreadful passes, poor dead ball deliveries and awful first touches). Apart from the kicking I don't think burge made a mistake: some have questioned his keeping on both occasions the ball hit the woodwork but I don't see him 'flapping' at the first and with the second there wasn't enough time for him to tell the defender to leave it.
I'm sure some on here want the guy to fail so they can tell us all so. I prefer to be proved wrong after he has had a good season and saved us more points than he has lost us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnwillomagic

I don't really count the Check a Trade either it is not as if we line up with our full strengh outfield xi is it.
I don't really give a shit about any cups this year - though and fa cup run would be nice- the league is all important.

Burge has two clean sheets in two league game he keeps his place simples really!

We are not going to sign another "experienced" goalie and do not think we need one in League 2 tbh Burge and O'Brien
are good enough for league 2. If we had some funds attacking midfielder/striker had to be no 1 priority.

torchomatic

I don't really count the Check a Trade either it is not as if we line up with our full strengh outfield xi is it.
I don't really give a shit about any cups this year - though and fa cup run would be nice- the league is all important.

Burge has two clean sheets in two league game he keeps his place simples really!

We are not going to sign another "experienced" goalie and do not think we need one in League 2 tbh Burge and O'Brien
are good enough for league 2. If we had some funds attacking midfielder/striker had to be no 1 priority.

Liam O'Brien has only made ONE mistake as personally I never count any match that was played in Somerset.

fatso

Burge will have good games and bad games, he polarises opinion because he's so inconsistent. This season he will appear better purely because he has a more dominant centre half in front of him (Rmcd) and a more experienced and defensive minded midfield.
It's no supprise that we are keeping more clean sheets at the expense of scoring goals. Those teams that can get the balance right year after year end up in the champions league, Those who don't, end up in division 2.

Users who are viewing this thread