Match Thread Luton Town - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 28th Oct (1 Viewer)

SlowerThanPlatt

What a win. Just 8 goals conceded in 16 games and three of them were goalkeeping howlers.

Shippers - good player and always a threat with his set pieces. Robins has him on every set piece when he's on the pitch, fitness was questionable last season but seems to have worked hard on that to be part of the squad as always had the ability

Nick

Administrator
What a win. Just 8 goals conceded in 16 games and three of them were goalkeeping howlers.

Shippers - good player and always a threat with his set pieces. Robins has him on every set piece when he's on the pitch, fitness was questionable last season but seems to have worked hard on that to be part of the squad as always had the ability
I liked how there was no messing about placing and kissing the ball. Strolled up and bang

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I liked how there was no messing about placing and kissing the ball. Strolled up and bang

Don’t think he had much of a say. Duck clearly wanted it, Kelly was also standing around, and Shipley just began walking away when He glanced over the side lines and got some sort of a shout. Couldn’t have adjusted it to how he wanted otherwise ref might have done him for time wasting. Then again, that might have been our plan ;)

Covstu

Fantastic result, good day and we played well. Nice to see three goals and hope that this can spark some more. Always felt we had goals there but just need to score consistently

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Points to notice about the opening goal today:

1. Overlap by Haynes gives Jones more time, we were not getting this from Stokes (not a criticism of him, his legs aren't the same as a young haynes)
2. Two strikers in the box causes defenders to not always mark as they should.

Scoring is not difficult, it's about moving defenders out of their comfort zone, the Haynes overlap pulls out the defence, centre back naturally moves over seeing a gap because he is clueless and this creates a gap for McNulty, who applied an awesome header.

SlowerThanPlatt

Points to notice about the opening goal today:

1. Overlap by Haynes gives Jones more time, we were not getting this from Stokes (not a criticism of him, his legs aren't the same as a young haynes)
2. Two strikers in the box causes defenders to not always mark as they should.

Scoring is not difficult, it's about moving defenders out of their comfort zone, the Haynes overlap pulls out the defence, centre back naturally moves over seeing a gap because he is clueless and this creates a gap for McNulty, who applied an awesome header.
Robins definitely seems to prefer Haynes and what he brings offensively over Stokes at left-back, can only see Stokes getting game time in the FA Cup and Checkatrade atm

SkyBlueSoul

Hahaha no idea how they can call us cheats after today.

It’s strange how perspective changes things. Sat with the Luton fans today and Kelly took hours to hobble off, only to run straight back on. Willis got a lot of stick too, only eased off when he came back on with a bandage.

In their eyes the ref was a Cov fan because he didn’t book our players in the first half but did theirs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sick Boy

It’s strange how perspective changes things. Sat with the Luton fans today and Kelly took hours to hobble off, only to run straight back on. Willis got a lot of stick too, only eased off when he came back on with a bandage.

In their eyes the ref was a Cov fan because he didn’t book our players in the first half but did theirs

You could hear the impact of their players elbow/arm on his face from where I was.

To be fair, we were time wasting from pretty early on and Jones was getting frustrated with our fans throwing the ball back so quickly. It's happened plenty of times to us in the past so I'm not overly bothered.

SkyBlueSoul

You could hear the impact of their players elbow/arm on his face from where I was.

To be fair, we were time wasting from pretty early on and Jones was getting frustrated with our fans throwing the ball back so quickly. It's happened plenty of times to us in the past so I'm not overly bothered.

Just reporting what I heard. Their first yellow was a definite elbow. I agree that we’ve had it vs us enough in the past, today was a very clever win and I fully endorse our tactics. We’re gonna have to be clever to get out this division

Speng

In universal studios Orlando with my lad wearing the colours with pride ,
Great result, let’s kick the stupid results against the so called poorer sides ,

dongonzalos

Shipley’s free kick was quality. That could be an unexpected weapon this season. If he gets some games.
Definitely food for thought.
Fair play to Robins for demanding that he takes it.

mechaishida

If Shipley can take a free kick like that consistently, oosh. That lad is fearless, from what I've seen.

This win should clarify the issue Robins has struggled with, that we can batter teams who freely attack however the teams the park the bus catch us with a patient goal.

It has to be addressed, violently if necessary.

clint van damme

If Shipley can take a free kick like that consistently, oosh. That lad is fearless, from what I've seen.

This win should clarify the issue Robins has struggled with, that we can batter teams who freely attack however the teams the park the bus catch us with a patient goal.

"It has to be addressed, violently if necessary."

:emoji_smiley:

Ranjit Bhurpa

Maybe Haynes is an option for us against teams who park the bus, either on the overlap for Jones as with the first goal, or getting to the bye line and crossing the ball low into the box as he did against Gillingham in the first game back at the Ricoh. Not really had that option this season.

Users who are viewing this thread