Mason Greenwood (3 Viewers)

Martin180

Our eldest is finally escaping a long abusive relationship and had been estranged from us for the past 2/3 years. "Ironically" the relationship has finally ended because he left her. He had stripped her of everything - confidence, self worth , friends and family. Sadly if he hadn't left her she admits she would still be in the relationship convinced he's the only one who loves her and nobody understands him.
These relationships are so complicated and often completely irrational to those looking in from the outside. People can guess at this young lady's reasons for staying in this relationship and why she dropped the allegations but applying rational thought to irrational situations (to most of us) is just a guessing game.
I grew up watching it and occasionally being on the wrong end of it . My mum stayed with my dad as he was the provider and paid the bills . The violence I witnessed and sometimes endured isn’t something that can be excused away with a throwaway excuse . The perpetrators of these sort of crimes are sadistic and manipulating , it simply isn’t black and white . Thankfully I had counselling from a young age once my mum had the courage to finally divorce my dad and can only talk through lived experiences on this topic .
My mum passed away nearly 30 years after leaving my dad from a stroke , when she was taken to hospital and x-rayed we were asked if she had ever had a stroke or brain trauma in the past . Years of abuse had given my mum a substantial brain stem injury that ultimately led to her stroke .

So when some on here trivialise stuff like Mason Greenwood it isn’t easy to bite my tongue as lived experience suggests that the perpetrator is usually calculating and a very dangerous individual

JimmyHillsbeard

Got to say, regardless of anything else, if she has decided to stay with him and raise a kid, massively hurting his earning potential is almost certainly not in her or their kids best interest.

This was my issue with the King debate as well. Where’s the line? Why is Coventry City better than Nuneaton Town better than Binley Bollocks semi pro team better than a kick around with your mates?

At some point you have to say justice has been served and you can crack on. Otherwise what? We just allow people to deny jobs to any ex con they don’t like? I’m not sure how that helps them, or us. We lose talent and they lose a steady career.

1) I wouldn’t lose too much sleep over his earning potential from here on. He’s a multi-millionaire already.

2) the difference is I support Coventry City. I hated that we signed Marlon King (and remember the dozens of posters on GMK who lined up to say he was lodging a post-sentence appeal anyway and would be exonerated). I’d hope that Nuneaton wouldn’t sign him either but I have even less influence there than I do with my own club.

Fwiw Marlon King, Lee Hughes, Alan Johnson, Ched Evans, Mason Greenwood, Benjamin Mende, Cristiano Ronaldo, Paul Gascoigne … I’m sure there are some grey areas in many cases but I’ve seen/read enough in each of them to know what I’d want my club to do.

shmmeee

1) I wouldn’t lose too much sleep over his earning potential from here on. He’s a multi-millionaire already.

2) the difference is I support Coventry City. I hated that we signed Marlon King (and remember the dozens of posters on GMK who lined up to say he was lodging a post-sentence appeal anyway and would be exonerated). I’d hope that Nuneaton wouldn’t sign him either but I have even less influence there than I do with my own club.

Fwiw Marlon King, Lee Hughes, Alan Johnson, Ched Evans, Mason Greenwood, Benjamin Mende, Cristiano Ronaldo, Paul Gascoigne … I’m sure there are some grey areas in many cases but I’ve seen/read enough in each of them to know what I’d want my club to do.

But surely you’d want anyone he played for/with to feel the same way? It’s fair enough to have a personal opinion, but as a general rule you can’t start telling people they can’t do their profession because they’re too good at it and it makes them a role model. If it’s related ban them regardless, I’m just not comfortable with society taking a stance of not employing ex cons if you find their crime distasteful, but not related to their job.

JimmyHillsbeard

But surely you’d want anyone he played for/with to feel the same way? It’s fair enough to have a personal opinion, but as a general rule you can’t start telling people they can’t do their profession because they’re too good at it and it makes them a role model. If it’s related ban them regardless, I’m just not comfortable with society taking a stance of not employing ex cons if you find their crime distasteful, but not related to their job.

I know what you’re saying but would you honestly apply that to Alan Johnson say?

Man Utd tried to keep Greenwood as a commercial decision; it looks like they backed down for similar reasons. Depressingly that seems to have been the deciding factor.

rob9872

Agree, but also Ian Wallace, Mick Quinn, Rooney, Collymore, Sigurdsson, Beckham, Giggs, Cantona, Gerrard, Bowyer, Woodgate, Barton, Fenwick, Terry, McCormick, Alonso, Suarez, Ferdinand ...

Those are just a few of the high profile ones we've heard about. There will be hundreds more unknown and many I've forgotten. Do we want role models or footballers? I'm not defending any of them, let's be honest many are scumbags, young athletic men with pots of cash who have been told how great they are and can have what they want from a young age. Not always the brightest or most educated, but happen to have a talent for something most of us craved to have.

It is hard and I don't want them here, particularly with a daughter who idolises all our players, but I think we need to separate them from our daily lives.

hamertime

The problem with this forum it’s littered with too many people with left wing liberal views. In the eyes of the law people are innocent until proven guilty but you want it trial by media.

What about Andrew Malkinson, he’s just been released 17 years served for a wrongful accused rape. You lot would have been the ones frothing at the mouth to convict him 😂😂

Sky Blue Pete

The problem with this forum it’s littered with too many people with left wing liberal views. In the eyes of the law people are innocent until proven guilty but you want it trial by media.

What about Andrew Malkinson, he’s just been released 17 years served for a wrongful accused rape. You lot would have been the ones frothing at the mouth to convict him 😂😂
Not sure that’s left wing liberal

napolimp

Stop embarrassing yourself, it's painful.

David O'Day

You've got to be an alt account someone has created for a laugh

David O'Day

It's that keiran fella,about his 3rd or4th incantation after embarrassing himself previously.
Looks like history will be repeating itself.
the rejecting of the old as time "bleeding hearted lefty liberal" trope to claim that conservatives are the progressives on justice is a bold move.

dadgad

Politics is truly wasted on middle Ingerrrland. Jeeezze, tell me, is this irony?

SlowerThanPlatt

Fair play for signing up and immediately swinging at anyone in sight

robbiekeane

the good thing about this is just in case anyone was in any doubt that you’re an absolute fucking eejit you just signed and sealed it

Skyblueweeman

Our eldest is finally escaping a long abusive relationship and had been estranged from us for the past 2/3 years. "Ironically" the relationship has finally ended because he left her. He had stripped her of everything - confidence, self worth , friends and family. Sadly if he hadn't left her she admits she would still be in the relationship convinced he's the only one who loves her and nobody understands him.
These relationships are so complicated and often completely irrational to those looking in from the outside. People can guess at this young lady's reasons for staying in this relationship and why she dropped the allegations but applying rational thought to irrational situations (to most of us) is just a guessing game.
F*&king hell - hope she's ok and the relationship between her and you and the rest of your family, starts to repair itself.

rob9872

Can I just add that as someone who's views are considered right wing on this forum, I also think you're a bit strange

stupot07

Take Mason Greenwood out of it.

If you seen a story on the news where a random bloke had been accused of something but then later cleared. Do you think he should be able to keep the current job he’s in. Yes or No?
He hasn't been cleared.

And in most jobs you would be sacked for this.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

tisza

F*&king hell - hope she's ok and the relationship between her and you and the rest of your family, starts to repair itself.
Thank you. Going to be a long road repairing her and repairing the relationships. But hoping we'll get there in the end - trust going to be the hardest part I guess. She's got a lot of misplaced mindsets to adjust and relearn how to think & live for herself.

hamertime

My only view is anyone who hasn’t been prosecuted for a crime should be able to continue their life at some level, obviously he can’t play in this country anymore but he’s young enough to be given a chance of rehabilitation. Surely as a society that’s what we should try to do. United were obviously hoping to keep him but social media coverage has become too much.

Christiano Ronaldo was accused of rape and paid out £ 375k as a settlement. I’d say that’s worse.

Grendel

My only view is anyone who hasn’t been prosecuted for a crime should be able to continue their life at some level, obviously he can’t play in this country anymore but he’s young enough to be given a chance of rehabilitation. Surely as a society that’s what we should try to do. United were obviously hoping to keep him but social media coverage has become too much.

Christiano Ronaldo was accused of rape and paid out £ 375k as a settlement. I’d say that’s worse.

That clearly isn’t your only view

hamertime

I’ve just been listening to Simon Jordan and he says he should have a second chance and be rehabilitated. I agreed with a lot of what he says he cuts through the bull shit.

fatso

Lots of emotions flying around this thread, if I may be allowed to try and diffuse the situation a little with the following, (not that I know more than any of you guys)

If he'd of gone to court, and All available evidence had been aired, and then he was found not guilty by a jury of his peers, then he could continue his career as a free man.

However, that has not been the case, a serious accusation was made, and partial evidence made public, which appeared to be absolutely abhorrent, he then avoided court by some strange means, probably paying off his accuser, but we don't know for sure.

So in the eyes of the public, he still has serious questions to answer. That's not the same as trial by public opinion, it's doubts about the character of the man.

Put if this way, although he's never been found guilty of anything, would you want him dating your daughter?

And is he a suitable example of behaviour for a club that claims to be family friendly?

hamertime

A lot of what I have said is without even Greenwood in mind. I really despise people who jump on the bandwagon and convict people with the kangaroo court of social media and decide who is more guilty than others. The courts should decide or society falls apart.

I’ve said a few just to wind people up but where is the fun if you don’t.

Joy Division

I guess in this case winding people up about domestic abuse when people in this thread have had family members suffer with this, it's probably why its not that fun.

Grendel

A lot of what I have said is without even Greenwood in mind. I really despise people who jump on the bandwagon and convict people with the kangaroo court of social media and decide who is more guilty than others. The courts should decide or society falls apart.

Backtracking now I see

Users who are viewing this thread