Match Off (2 Viewers)

ccfc92

7 points off relegation, but 3 games in hand off notts county :/

chiefdave

Our Trust is not what it once was but you failed to give any straightforward argument which rank and file Cobblers fans could get behind.

Sorry but that's rubbish. The very simple, straightforward argument is we have a ground to play at in Coventry and have no need to play 35 miles away. if it was easy enough for fans of other teams to understand why is it so difficult for Cobblers fans to get behind? Seems like you're insulting the intelligence of your own fans! If your trust didn't understand the situation why not respond more positively to our trust and seek more information?

Of course there are complexities and nuance to the argument on both sides but that is a level of detail only those closest to the club are ever going to argue about. The main point every Coventry fan would agree on is that we want and expect the club to be playing at the stadium built for them in the city after which they take their name. Not sure how much simpler you can make it.

If you organised a phoenix club there would least be a logic to your actions but at the moment there is a strange vacuum of "what to do next" with an abstract desire to get "back to the Ricoh" and some unknown saviour to take you over.

You can't really start a phoenix club while the original club still exists, you will only succeed in splitting the fans.

All the slagging off of Sixfields won't help either. Its not the best stadium but was built through the sale of the municipal bus company by our council who saw the need to continue football in the town. If only your council was so noble.

You mean our council who built the Ricoh when the club had spent all its money and got into debt? Our council that's currently being taken to a judicial review by the clubs owners for putting money into the stadium? Would you be happy if SISU decided to launch a JR against Northants council for their role in building Sixfields?

Flying Fokker

Our Trust is not what it once was but you failed to give any straightforward argument which rank and file Cobblers fans could get behind. This is born out in endless pages of bitching and rowing over who is to blame on here. If you can't decide yourself you have little chance of getting our fans onside and lets not forget we had no interest in you before (nor would you in use with roles reversed).

If you organised a phoenix club there would least be a logic to your actions but at the moment there is a strange vacuum of "what to do next" with an abstract desire to get "back to the Ricoh" and some unknown saviour to take you over.

All the slagging off of Sixfields won't help either. Its not the best stadium but was built through the sale of the municipal bus company by our council who saw the need to continue football in the town. If only your council was so noble.

Your team has been the retirement ground for city players or people who didn't make the required standard.

Flying Fokker

Sorry but that's rubbish. The very simple, straightforward argument is we have a ground to play at in Coventry and have no need to play 35 miles away. if it was easy enough for fans of other teams to understand why is it so difficult for Cobblers fans to get behind? Seems like you're insulting the intelligence of your own fans! If your trust didn't understand the situation why not respond more positively to our trust and seek more information?

Of course there are complexities and nuance to the argument on both sides but that is a level of detail only those closest to the club are ever going to argue about. The main point every Coventry fan would agree on is that we want and expect the club to be playing at the stadium built for them in the city after which they take their name. Not sure how much simpler you can make it.

You can't really start a phoenix club while the original club still exists, you will only succeed in splitting the fans.

You mean our council who built the Ricoh when the club had spent all its money and got into debt? Our council that's currently being taken to a judicial review by the clubs owners for putting money into the stadium? Would you be happy if SISU decided to launch a JR against Northants council for their role in building Sixfields?

The sad thing is that the sixfields martyrs have already split the club but continue to walk on the shirt tails of Tim Fisher et al.

sky blue john

22-Feb-14 H Hartlepool United
25-Feb-14 H Chesterfield
01-Mar-14 H Bristol Rovers
15-Mar-14 H Mansfield Town
18-Mar-14 H Rochdale
25-Mar-14 H AFC Wimbledon
29-Mar-14 H Bury
14-Apr-14 H Burton
21-Apr-14 H Portsmouth
03-May-14 H Oxford United

These are remaining cobblers home fixtures, 10 of them.

TBD......... H Bradford City
18-Feb-14 H Carlisle United
02-Mar-14 H Shrewsbury Town
05-Mar-14 H Walsall
16-Mar-14 H Port Vale
26-Mar-14 H Stevenage
05-Apr-14 H Milton Keynes Dons
19-Apr-14 H Swindon Town
26-Apr-14 H Wolverhampton Wndrs

And 9 Coventry fixtures too.

What are the odds on that pitch being OK for Tuesdays match vs Carlisle?

Lol what are the chances of that fixture schedule happening ???
I know its down to the weather but it will definately help the cause in making Sisu's the league and cardoza's decision look very stupid !!!!!!!!

ccfc92

I know its down to the weather but it will definately help the cause in making Sisu's the league and cardoza's decision look very stupid !!!!!!!!

what would happen if we had games remaining when the other teams have played all of theirs? say we had 4 games in hand for example

Sky Blue Pete

It can't happen they all have to be played before the last game of the season.

Pressley must be beside himself

J

Jack Griffin

Has Sixields got undersoil heating? If it wasn't raining it would probably be freezing or snowing.

J

Jack Griffin

It can't happen they all have to be played before the last game of the season.

Pressley must be beside himself

Don't all final games have to take place on the same day, kicking off at the same time?

Saturday 3rd May 2014 Sky Bet League One

Brentford V Stevenage 15:00
Crawley V Bristol City 15:00
Crewe V Preston 15:00
Gillingham V Shrewsbury 15:00
MK Dons V Leyton Orient 15:00
Oldham V Notts County 15:00
Peterborough V Port Vale 15:00
Sheff Utd V Coventry 15:00
Swindon V Rotherham 15:00
Tranmere V Bradford 15:00
Walsall V Colchester 15:00
Wolves V Carlisle 15:00

Sky Blue Pete

Don't all final games have to take place on the same day, kicking off at the same time?

Yep 19 games required in 64 games as we stand

SkyblueBazza

Seriously, I don't know what type of football "fans" NTFC fans class themselves as but if they need a "straight forward argument" to convince them why your club should never have got involved in another club's affairs there is no more hope for your club than there is our's.

I've always been careful to not blame your fans or call your ground shitfields out of respect. But comments like your opening gambit make me wonder why.

I think his point is that animosity towards the owner for such encouragement of SISU is fine but - as we have said many times ourselves about our plight - the owner made the decision(s) NOT the Club or it's fans so don't blame THEM.
As far as their supporters trust stance goes - I don't know the facts or even any rumours about their stance...but it is a hard choice! Support fellow supporters cause to play in their city & spite their own club by ensuring continued cash-flow problems...or stay a bit quiet on the matter. Most would in reality opt for the latter I suspect.

PUSB

skybluetony176

Unless it means Sunderland go down off course ;-)

skybluetony176

I think his point is that animosity towards the owner for such encouragement of SISU is fine but - as we have said many times ourselves about our plight - the owner made the decision(s) NOT the Club or it's fans so don't blame THEM.
As far as their supporters trust stance goes - I don't know the facts or even any rumours about their stance...but it is a hard choice! Support fellow supporters cause to play in their city & spite their own club by ensuring continued cash-flow problems...or stay a bit quiet on the matter. Most would in reality opt for the latter I suspect.

PUSB

I suspect not. Otherwise sixfields would be a sell out for all our "home" games.

Sick Boy

If you could ask SISU to stop payments on another legally binding contract, then I'm sure that something could be arranged.

Eh?

Do you honestly believe that the rent that we were being charged was fair? How about to what ACL are now charging Leicester U21's to train and play their 'home' matches at the Ricoh?

The rent along with the match day costs was not sustainable in the long term.

DazzleTommyDazzle

Do you honestly believe that the rent that we were being charged was fair? How about to what ACL are now charging Leicester U21's to train and play their 'home' matches at the Ricoh?

I honestly believe that the way SISU went about attempting to "renegotiate" it, was staggeringly unprofessional.

At the time, I posted of my concerns about the damage that it would do although I confess that I never expected things to go this far.

As for the comparison with the charges for Leicester U 21s, as you're raising the issue, I can only assume that you are unaware of the recent offers to CCFC.

Sick Boy

I honestly believe that the way SISU went about attempting to "renegotiate" it, was staggeringly unprofessional.

At the time, I posted of my concerns about the damage that it would do although I confess that I never expected things to go this far.

As for the comparison with the charges for Leicester U 21s, as you're raising the issue, I can only assume that you are unaware of the recent offers to CCFC.

The club raised concerns about the excessive rent before SISU even came to the club.

You could argue that if it wasn't for SISU's behaviour then ACL would never have attempted to offer a lower rent. I must admit, I am surprised that there hasn't been a little bit of outrage considering that they are offering one of the club's rivals the opportunity to play there.

Both SISU & ACL should hang their heads in shame over the whole situation.

DazzleTommyDazzle

The club raised concerns about the excessive rent before SISU even came to the club.

You could argue that if it wasn't for SISU's behaviour then ACL would never have attempted to offer a lower rent. I must admit, I am surprised that there hasn't been a little bit of outrage considering that they are offering one of the club's rivals the opportunity to play there.

The fact that concerns were raised previously does not excuse SISU's (in my view) staggeringly unprofessional behaviour.

ACL offered to reduce the rent by 67%, before things turned "really nasty". There is a valid argument to say that that shows that the initial rent was way too high (although the maturity of ACL's business model was at a very different stage) and I would have some sympathy with that view - but ACL did show readiness to negotiate seriously, something that (in my view) has been sadly lacking from the SISU side.

skybluetony176

Yes the rent was too high. But are the costs to Leicester on a one night basis ever going to be comparable with an exclusive deal to use the ground over a football season? I.E ACL couldn't rent it out between cov games.

thaiskyblue

And sisu can hold theirs high i suppose, such wonderful caring owners.

skybluetony176

I'm more surprised that some of my fellow Coventry fans are angrier at Leicester reserves training and playing at the ricoh than they are at Coventry's first team playing at sixfields. GMK seems to have gone into melt down over Leicester yet think anyone displaying anger at our own situation is a crack pot ACL sympathiser.

RegTheDonk

what would happen if we had games remaining when the other teams have played all of theirs? say we had 4 games in hand for example

Think they changed the rules a few years ago, so you had to complete your fixtures by the last day? If this weather keeps up we'll end up playing at least twice a week.

ccfcway

Football League - 8th Jul 2013

"With no prospect of an agreement being reached between Otium and ACL, the Board was placed in an unenviable position - with the very real possibility of Coventry City being unable to fulfil its fixtures for next season. This would inevitably call into question the club's continued membership of The Football League."

er, Football League, time for you to "step up" again and come up with a solution, perhaps one which involves us actually playing in Coventry

Grendel

Football League - 8th Jul 2013

"With no prospect of an agreement being reached between Otium and ACL, the Board was placed in an unenviable position - with the very real possibility of Coventry City being unable to fulfil its fixtures for next season. This would inevitably call into question the club's continued membership of The Football League."

er, Football League, time for you to "step up" again and come up with a solution, perhaps one which involves us actually playing in Coventry

They can't - it would be illegal.

Grendel

illegal, or "using their discretion"

No illegal. As an independent body it is not allowed to tell an organisation (CCFC) to agree terms of rent with a third party (ACL) as that would create a catastrophic precedent for the industry. Its a no no.

torchomatic

How strange that you don't answer a straight question.

shmmeee

No illegal. As an independent body it is not allowed to tell an organisation (CCFC) to agree terms of rent with a third party (ACL) as that would create a catastrophic precedent for the industry. Its a no no.

No one was asking them to do that Gren. People were asking them to enforce the area we can play in or at least follow their rules about groundshares. The "private company" excuse is just that. Otherwise how do they enforce any rules about anything?

Noggin

You are talking Rubbish, the football league didn't need to tell an organisation to agree terms of rent with ACL. They just needed to say you need to to have a ground available to play in Coventry in order to be granted the Golden share.

Grendel

No one was asking them to do that Gren. People were asking them to enforce the area we can play in or at least follow their rules about groundshares. The "private company" excuse is just that. Otherwise how do they enforce any rules about anything?

They have no real power over issues such as this. They never will have.

shmmeee

Isn't this just a case of effectively offering the ground out cheaply to show the Ricoh still is a commercial entity and also for publicity?

Also as the biggest council troll on here doesn't it sit even slightly uneasy to you that the club wee paying £1.3 million rent AND inflated matchday costs?

Firstly stop bringing up the old rental deal. Everyone accepts is was excessive, including it seems ACL.

Secondly, do we have any proof for the Leicester figure? If so it does sound dodgy considering the public price for 1k fans is £5k+VAT.

Users who are viewing this thread