McGregor vs Mayweather (1 Viewer)

ccfcway

as suspected, was nothing more than a WWF type event,carefully managed to ensure enough value for the paymasters and the correct result. Mayweather wasn't even out of breath in that 10th.

Both "fighters" come out with reputations in tack and all the richer for it. Who would have guessed.

Super_Johnny_Gayle

Was never going to watch this fight, a pure pay out to the rich

vow

Woke up about 4.15am, got up and watched it, the first 3-4 rounds McGregor looked as if he was in the fight, then Mayweather took his time, didn't look tired at all, as ccfcway said.

Come the later rounds and Mayweather being firmly on top, walking down McGregor who's punching power had completely gone by then, Ref stopped it, fair decision, but McGregor said in his interview that he was "prepared to get knocked down/out on the canvas instead of the TKO" he looked a bit gutted but fair-play he didn't embarrass himself.

bringbackrattles

I woke up and put the radio on and it was round nine !
Sounded as if McGregor put up a fight ? Gutted Marciano's record got beat though. But Rocky and his heavyweight record still stands.

Gazolba

They earned more money than everyone who has ever posted on these forums combined will earn in their lifetimes.

Travs

I'm not against cross-discipline fights as a rule... they are a bit more common in Asia, for example Muay Thai fighters against Chinese Kung Fu fighters, or the whole K1 series (although with slightly diluted rules to prevent the Thai guys destroying everyone in the clinch with knees and elbows... but yes everyone said about this event being a farce is true in my opinion...

I would personally like to have seen a genuine fight between Mayweather and one of the top Thai guys. Would be a proper battle between Mayweathers movement and hands, and the Thais kicks, knees and very square "stand and bang" stance and style.

On the same subject, below is a link to a genuinely classic fight between two styles. Rick Roufus was a legendary US Kickboxer and came up against Changpeuk the famous Muay Thai fighter. Despite the rules heavily in the American's favour, the Thai guy worked it, stalked him down and dismantled him (some would say controversially). Genuinely worth a watch...

Kickboxing vs Muay Thai - The Fight that Changed History - Muay Thai PROS

bringbackrattles

I'm not against cross-discipline fights as a rule... they are a bit more common in Asia, for example Muay Thai fighters against Chinese Kung Fu fighters, or the whole K1 series (although with slightly diluted rules to prevent the Thai guys destroying everyone in the clinch with knees and elbows... but yes everyone said about this event being a farce is true in my opinion...

I would personally like to have seen a genuine fight between Mayweather and one of the top Thai guys. Would be a proper battle between Mayweathers movement and hands, and the Thais kicks, knees and very square "stand and bang" stance and style.

On the same subject, below is a link to a genuinely classic fight between two styles. Rick Roufus was a legendary US Kickboxer and came up against Changpeuk the famous Muay Thai fighter. Despite the rules heavily in the American's favour, the Thai guy worked it, stalked him down and dismantled him (some would say controversially). Genuinely worth a watch...

Kickboxing vs Muay Thai - The Fight that Changed History - Muay Thai PROS
Bit random but how do you reckon Bruce Lee would get on if still around ? I read once that he would beat anyone in any type of martial arts etc. The guy was awesome wasn't he ?

Travs

Bit random but how do you reckon Bruce Lee would get on if still around ? I read once that he would beat anyone in any type of martial arts etc. The guy was awesome wasn't he ?

I know very little about him really. I've got his book "Tao of Jeet Kun Do" and it's a beautiful book, and interesting to see how he picked what he thought were the best bits from various styles (such as Muay Thai, Western Boxing, Kali, Wing Chun, etc"

My honest opinion is that whilst he was undoubtedly a very good martial artist, at the end of the day he was an actor, not a pro fighter, and I can't see him faring well against a pro combat fighter. I may be completely off the mark with that opinion, who knows.

I'm sure I read that he had a few illegal street and rooftop fights when he was in Hong Kong.... winning some and losing others. Again not sure how true.

Im a great believer that the "hard" martial arts and combat sports, such as Muay Thai, Boxing, Kyokushin Karate, Judo, and even to a small extent MMA, are where the very best fighters will be. Not because those styles are any better, but they can be trained full force, day in day out, on pads, bags, and against live sparring partners.

I think the traditional martial arts suffer because their moves are too "deadly" to be practiced at full power against a resisting opponent.

When I did Muay Thai, my gym was also big in Kali (the traditional Filipino martial art), and it was scary to watch them practice knife fighting, stick fighting, and trapping etc. I had a go and it was so difficult. Obviously a knife fighter who is practiced in the art will be pretty unstoppable, but I guess that's a special case. But whether a traditional martial artist could stop a fully trained "fighter", I have some doubts there.

Hope to not offend anyone who may be reading this and a traditional martial artist...

Nick

Administrator
Hope to not offend anyone who may be reading this and a traditional martial artist...

Mr Miagi has just reported your post.

giphy.gif

bringbackrattles

I know very little about him really. I've got his book "Tao of Jeet Kun Do" and it's a beautiful book, and interesting to see how he picked what he thought were the best bits from various styles (such as Muay Thai, Western Boxing, Kali, Wing Chun, etc"

My honest opinion is that whilst he was undoubtedly a very good martial artist, at the end of the day he was an actor, not a pro fighter, and I can't see him faring well against a pro combat fighter. I may be completely off the mark with that opinion, who knows.

I'm sure I read that he had a few illegal street and rooftop fights when he was in Hong Kong.... winning some and losing others. Again not sure how true.

Im a great believer that the "hard" martial arts and combat sports, such as Muay Thai, Boxing, Kyokushin Karate, Judo, and even to a small extent MMA, are where the very best fighters will be. Not because those styles are any better, but they can be trained full force, day in day out, on pads, bags, and against live sparring partners.

I think the traditional martial arts suffer because their moves are too "deadly" to be practiced at full power against a resisting opponent.

When I did Muay Thai, my gym was also big in Kali (the traditional Filipino martial art), and it was scary to watch them practice knife fighting, stick fighting, and trapping etc. I had a go and it was so difficult. Obviously a knife fighter who is practiced in the art will be pretty unstoppable, but I guess that's a special case. But whether a traditional martial artist could stop a fully trained "fighter", I have some doubts there.

That gym you used sounds like the Wheatsheaf on a Saturday night !

chiefdave

Didn't do good numbers for Sky Box Office. Peaked at 648K for the fight itself. Oddly that was only 44% if viewers watching TV at that time. What are people watching at 6 in the morning???

Sky's best boxing PPV remains Mayweather Hatton with 1.37m.

Adge

giphy.gif
Didn't do good numbers for Sky Box Office. Peaked at 648K for the fight itself. Oddly that was only 44% if viewers watching TV at that time. What are people watching at 6 in the morning???

Sky's best boxing PPV remains Mayweather Hatton with 1.37m.
Really? Wow that has surprised me only 648,000 watched the pantomime including me. Mind you, it was a good excuse to catch up with a few pals that I hadn't seen for a while.:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread