McSheffrey says goodbye (1 Viewer)

Swanny80

Don't give it all this crap

The lot of you have been slating him for months!

WillieStanley

I think "criticising" is the more apt word for the majority. Which is what a football forum is for. A player doen't just have a bad season and then all he has achieved prior gets written off. (Well, maybe that's what happened to Torres... but different circumstances yadda yadda).

Regardless of this season, he has been an asset to the club and the city in a career that has been above average to say the least.

stupot07

Some players stick with their club through thick and thin out of loyalty and love for the club so yeah I do blame him

You're forgetting that the club also needed the money, and I remember reading something Adams said about having to sell him and scowcroft and what a massive impact it had on his squad. So I don't think the move was all down to sheffers.

covhead1

The lot of us have'nt been slating him, true to say some have but a lot of us here are fans of Sheffers and were quite sad to see him go to brum and also to see his decline in form.
Sad to see him go but things move on.

THANKS SHEFFERS & GOOD LUCK!!!:wave:

torchomatic

AFCCOVENTRY

It was the right time for him to go. Done a decent job here over the years but there was a year on year decline in his play. He lost his pace which gave him that bit of edge to get past his man. With that gone his whole game changed.

However, with him and Wood gone that is the 2 highest paid players off the books. Just with their 2 wages combined you could get 5 decent L1 players.

Nonleagueherewecome

Well the boo-pillock king from B21 will be happy: a few weeks back he said to his mate (who agreed with him): "I don't think that there has ever been a worse player to wear the Sky Blue shirt". Now that's hatred! He wasn't far off saying the same about Bell last week, mind (even though he played really well...).

Nonleagueherewecome

It was the right time for him to go. Done a decent job here over the years but there was a year on year decline in his play. He lost his pace which gave him that bit of edge to get past his man. With that gone his whole game changed.

However, with him and Wood gone that is the 2 highest paid players off the books. Just with their 2 wages combined you could get 5 decent L1 players.

Or pay the rent :p

TheHellion

You're forgetting that the club also needed the money, and I remember reading something Adams said about having to sell him and scowcroft and what a massive impact it had on his squad. So I don't think the move was all down to sheffers.

That was the story his mum told us at the time. She was less than impressed with the way it happened. I'm pretty sure a chap called Paul Fletcher had something to do with it.

Nonleagueherewecome

That was the story his mum told us at the time. She was less than impressed with the way it happened. I'm pretty sure a chap called Paul Fletcher had something to do with it.

Would that be Paul "Drunk as a Lord" Fletcher?

TheHellion

Would that be Paul "Drunk as a Lord" Fletcher?

That guy.
In fact I even wrote Flethcer a letter asking what the heck was going on at the time. His reply was as stark as to say that we, as a club, simply couldn't say no to the offer that Brum had put forward (although I remember we had already rebuffed them several times!). Oddly enough, he offered assurances that "Operation Premiership" was still on track, and he was hopeful that we could still get back up. That worked out well didn't it.

With regards to the main topic, the Gary from before he went to the Blues was a good little player. Maybe sometimes a bit frustrating, but he scored goals for us. Obviously, the injuries he;s had over the years have taken a lot out of him. Probably the best decision for all concerned this on his current form. Hopefully he can have one last go at things before he hangs up his boots.

shropshirecov

I'll never know how Shaw got a testamonial and McSheffrey didn't. Shaw is considered a legend, although he was shit. McSheffrey is roundly slagged off. But hey, thats City fans!

Good luck to Sheffers for the future.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Hurrah! Hurrah!! See ya Sheff! Was never gonna be as good a player second time round and how true that has turned out.

Surprised to see the the term 'class' and legend being banded about in these posts, as he was certainly never either of these! He was a Cov kid who got to represent his hometown club! Well done him. About as far as it goes though on his case

skybluejelly

not been at his best this year but wold have been nice to have let him come on for the last 15 minutes against leyton orient ..at least to try and go out with a goal.. its not like we had anything to lose..

at least it will save me a fortune in first goalscorer bets now..

ajsccfc

I'll never know how Shaw got a testamonial and McSheffrey didn't. Shaw is considered a legend, although he was shit. McSheffrey is roundly slagged off. But hey, thats City fans!

Good luck to Sheffers for the future.

Isn't it '10 uninterrupted years = testimonial'? Or is it just down to discretion?

rupert_bear

You have to respect anyone with 271 appearences under his belt and for his home town club. Never his biggest fan but good luck to him for the future.
Unfortunately my lasting memory of him is that fluffed last ditch free-kick at Crewe in the JPT semi. Had i got anywhere close to him i would have gladly chinned him. Still could.

skybluelee

You have to respect anyone with 271 appearences under his belt and for his home town club. Never his biggest fan but good luck to him for the future.
Unfortunately my lasting memory of him is that fluffed last ditch free-kick at Crewe in the JPT semi. Had i got anywhere close to him i would have gladly chinned him. Still could.

Rightly so. I suspect he messed it up deliberately just to piss you off.

ohitsaidwalker king power

We were annoyed too that night...... but... it was one fluffed free kick in a season of many...... not really fair to characterise his sky blue career in that one moment I feel?

Johnnythespider

He's better than henry, apparently. seriuosly i think he was a half decent player but his second stint was never going to live up to the first. Hope he does well where ever he ends up.

wingy

And like Marcus who we weretalking about the other day Cost Neutral to the club for all those years.

Grendel

Second time round he underachieved. However in the first spell at championship level he was very effective scoring some memorable goals. Carried that on in the championship for Birmingham. Like a lot of players who started young and raked up a lot of appearances in teens and early 20's he faded early as well.

Amusing though how players like fleck, Barton, bell and baker are now labelled quality. Compared to mcsheffrey first time round, well there is no comparison.

Covstu

I will personally miss him, he gave us some great memories and nice to see homegrown talent stick around at the club. Bets of luck for the future sheffers.

wingy

well i blame mcsheffrey, if he turned down brumisscum then we wouldnt have had his replacements....... who were they again, lol
Kevin Kyle:facepalm: How much ?? then on £8k a week ,we were all outraged but I have to say i had a little sympathy for him ,until we were almost instructed to like him and then a little cringworthily he put that a ballgirl had told him,"Don't Listen to them Kevin",of course she was right but to publicise was :whistle::whistle::whistle:

In fact I think she posts on here!!:thinking about:

stupot07

Hurrah! Hurrah!! See ya Sheff! Was never gonna be as good a player second time round and how true that has turned out.

Surprised to see the the term 'class' and legend being banded about in these posts, as he was certainly never either of these! He was a Cov kid who got to represent his hometown club! Well done him. About as far as it goes though on his case

Slightly harsh - he's finished joint 9th in the all time scorers list, was top scorer 2003/04, 2004/05, 2005/06 and 2011/12.

He's generally disappointing since his return however.

wingy

I just think we've all been shocked that he was unable to score consistently at this level,I hear stories his knees are Shot etc,he scored a sublime goal around 12-15 games in ,can't recall against who and i fully expected his confidence to surge qlong with his tally ,but they just did'nt come.

ohitsaidwalker king power

Fluffed more than one chance this season IMO

agree..hence my "many" comment?... just think its unfair to forget his good times in a sky blue shirt. Sure he's not had a good season and now probably is the right time for him to move on... but he hasn't been alone in disappointing this season? I wish him well.

mattylad

Sometimes there is more to life than football, good luck Gary. Those of you who have given him shit this year would hang ur heads in shame if only you knew. Sky blue to the core.

Mucca Mad Boys

Glad to see you go, but I'll always admire the player pre- and 1st season Brum player.

Users who are viewing this thread