My concern with Robins (2 Viewers)

Saddlebrains

I have absolutely no issue with Robins, I actually love Robins and never wanted him out when some were saying he’s done, he’s got all the time he needs and I fully support him.

In relation to what players I’d take from others… Okay, here’s players I think that would be good additions to our squad that could be better than some of our options based on this weekends games…

Birmingham - Lee Buchanan, Cody Drameh
Swansea - Matt Grimes
Leeds - Meslier, Ampadu, Daniel James, Rutter, Summerville, Piroe, Bamford,
Plymouth - Morgan Whittaker
Preston - Freddie Woodman, Ben Whiteman, Liam Millar
Bristol - Jason Knight
Rotherham - Viktor Johansson
Stoke - Wouter Burger, McNally was good for us
Southampton - most of their lineup
WBA - Swift, people rate Cipre but don’t know enough about him
Blackburn - Both the Wharton’s, Szmodics, Andrew Moran, Pickering
Millwall - Zain Flemming
Boro - I thought Marcus Forss played very well vs us last season when we played them in those 3 games at the end of the season, Lewis O’Brien, Isiah Jones, Morgan Rogers, Greenwood is alright
Sunderland - Patterson, Bellingham, Ballard, Hume, Jack Clarke
QPR - Wilcock, Field, Chair, Begovic
Watford - Porteous
Hull - Carvalho, Tufan
Norwich - Don’t know enough about their players
Leicester - there’s plenty of class players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Conveniently forgetting the vast majority of them are on 30k a week or more you cleft

Skybluedownunder

Conveniently forgetting the vast majority of them are on 30k a week or more you cleft

Firstly, that wasn’t the question. It said name players of each club you’d rather have over some of ours
Secondly, a considerable amount of them are on less than £30k for sure… to be honest most of them except Leeds, Southampton and probably QPR

Saddlebrains

Firstly, that wasn’t the question. It said name players of each club you’d rather have over some of ours
Secondly, a considerable amount of them are on less than £30k for sure

Alright sound if you're going to defend it il tell you where you're wrong

Buchanan and Drameh arent better than Mve and Bidwell

Matt Grimes isnt better than Sheaf

Not even bothering with the Leeds Leicester and Soton players for obv reasons

Liam Millar is a loan, not Prestons

Whittaker isnt better than Tats or O'Hare

Stoke, Lol, none of them

Swift didnt wanna come here Kipre barely plays

Forss is a Scandinavian Simms, O'Briens on loan,

Sunderland other than Clarke arent better than us

QPR are a disgrace at the moment and wouldnt touch any of their players with their obvious application or attitude issues

Out of all that, Jack Clarke or Sammie Szmodics yes

Astute

I have absolutely no issue with Robins, I actually love Robins and never wanted him out when some were saying he’s done, he’s got all the time he needs and I fully support him.

In relation to what players I’d take from others… Okay, here’s players I think that would be good additions to our squad that could be better than some of our options based on this weekends games…

Swansea - Matt Grimes
Bristol - Jason Knight
Millwall - Zain Flemming
Boro - I thought Marcus Forss played very well vs us last season when we played them in those 3 games at the end of the season, Lewis O’Brien, Isiah Jones, Morgan Rogers, Greenwood is alright
Watford - Porteous
Hull - Carvalho, Tufan

And how about the second part of the question. Value?

All you have done is choose names. Bellingham? He has a famous brother. Their supporters can't understand why he is in the side.

Or make a side out of them players. Have given you nearly 20 sides to choose from that you say wouldn't want our players.

Astute

Secondly, a considerable amount of them are on less than £30k for sure… to be honest most of them except Leeds, Southampton and probably QPR

OK. I'm with you now.

So from your list of players say which of those players you would prefer against which player of ours. 1st team and same position.

Brighton Sky Blue

And how about the second part of the question. Value?

All you have done is choose names. Bellingham? He has a famous brother. Their supporters can't understand why he is in the side.

Or make a side out of them players. Have given you nearly 20 sides to choose from that you say wouldn't want our players.
The only issue our squad has at the moment is depth on the wide positions and at right back. We do seem to be struggling to involve the centre forward regardless of who plays there.

Recruitment should be focused on making the bench almost as strong as the starting XI at this point.

False9

Godden, Allen, Wilson, Palmer, Bidwell, Eccles all tied up on long term deals… not really making other teams envious of us wishing they had what we’ve got.
All of them except for Eccles expire at the end of next season. They're not on long term deals...

They'll be a succession plan for all of them like we've seen this season.

David O'Day

You have also included right backs like Cody Drammah, is he fuck better than MvE

TomRad85

I could pick at least 1 player from even the poor teams that would get in the wider squad, less so that walk into our first 11, overall I'm very happy with our squad though. Not sure what the argument is here? We can't own every half decent player in the Championship.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

SBAndy

Swansea - Matt Grimes
Bristol - Jason Knight
Millwall - Zain Flemming
Watford - Porteous
Hull - Carvalho, Tufan

Begovic 😂😂😂

Astute

The only issue our squad has at the moment is depth on the wide positions and at right back. We do seem to be struggling to involve the centre forward regardless of who plays there.

Recruitment should be focused on making the bench almost as strong as the starting XI at this point.
Of course it is. But you can only do a certain amount in one go.

Torp looks like he could well improve the 1st team let alone the bench. Not a panic buy. We will only bring in the right players at the right price. Players that can improve. No wasting money on stopgaps.

It's not just being money wise. We look like having a good chance of promotion in the next couple of years. If it happens we would start our first season in the Prem with a good settled squad with players desperate to show what they can do. Players that know each other. Yes we would take the occasional tonking but we would have a realistic chance of staying up especially if they keep on improving and we don't have a mass sale of players.

And as an aside... has anyone noticed the amount of 4 year contracts? When King came in he said about a 5 year Prem plan. We have secured several players for his 5 year plan. This will continue. If we sell anyone it will be for big money, mostly reinvested in the side.

There's a problem though. Keep improving the squad so the bench is solid and the wage bill goes up. This could be covered by transfer fees coming in. But then you start being on dodgy ground.

Skyblueweeman

Some of us never question his ability. You can see reasons for previous dips in form going back seasons. This season was always going to be a difficult start. It was a bunch of strangers on the pitch and hardly anyone knew the system Robins wanted to play.

And the big question is who better than Robins would come to us.

We are very lucky to have the best manager outside the Prem and hopefully soon he will have the chance to take them on with us.

Agree with almost all you're saying on this thread. Only thing I'd question is about never questioning MRs ability. He's been amazing for us and I'm his biggest fan. But everyone deserves to be questioned at some point.

It's just that the point at which MR gets questioned is so far away for most, when some would question him after a couple of defeats.

Astute

I could pick at least 1 player from even the poor teams that would get in the wider squad, less so that walk into our first 11, overall I'm very happy with our squad though. Not sure what the argument is here? We can't own every half decent player in the Championship.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Did you miss the statements on how other sides wouldn't be jealous of any of our players? Did you see the list of players supposed to improve us?

We're Coventry City. I get it. The only luck we're used to is bad luck. For many years we thought we were back on track to have yet more setbacks. But times have changed. Many still can't get their heads around the present situation. Something must go wrong surely? I only fear Leeds in the playoffs semis but the final? Hope they go up in 2nd. The dark days are over. No need to keep looking for the next disaster.

We've certainly been on a journey. It isn't over yet. Enjoy these good times. We won't have Robins forever. And in the Prem yes you get to see world class players. But it won't be fun most of the time. Look at us now. Flying up the table playing the best football I've seen for close to 30 years and some still don't seem to be happy. Will be hilarious on here when we have a run of games against top Prem sides. People will soon forget where we came from.

SkyBlueMatt

Agree with almost all you're saying on this thread. Only thing I'd question is about never questioning MRs ability. He's been amazing for us and I'm his biggest fan. But everyone deserves to be questioned at some point.

It's just that the point at which MR gets questioned is so far away for most, when some would question him after a couple of defeats.

When has he deserved to be questioned in whole the time he has been here? Last season when we were down near the relegation zone but then finished at Wembley? This season when we were in the relegation zone but now find ourselves in the playoffs?

Football should be decided over a season, a marathon not a sprint. Robins has not had a bad season, not one. He has improved us every year and somehow we might do it again (more points).

Astute

I'm on the side of not questioning him for a few reasons. The main reason is he hasn't given me a reason to question him. Whatever he has had thrown at him he has improved us each season. Not easy to do 6 seasons consecutively without the restrictions he has been put under. It hasn't been a fluke.

I did come close to wavering this season. I expected a slow start. I even said constantly on here give the players 10 to 12 games before deciding anything. Remember nearly everyone on here thought he had wasted the Gyokeres money. But as we got to the 12th game you could see it was starting to come together. I had reached about neutral by then.

Of course we should be free to question him at times. But these days we don't have a lot to moan about so we have people waiting for a reason with it being valid or not.

Robins has done a fantastic job and I wouldn't want anyone else in his position.

Astute

Football should be decided over a season, a marathon not a sprint. Robins has not had a bad season, not one. He has improved us every year and somehow we might do it again (more points).
Win the playoffs?

Last season I felt it was more important to get promoted than this one. We more or less knew we would lose our best 2 players if we didn't go up and would need a big rebuild. This season it's just go along with the journey. If we fail again this season we'll have a cracking season next season. The CBS will be rocking and we will be picking points up from the start.

I'm not even sure I want promotion this season. This side with another year together and a few more additions slowly brought into the side would surprise a few people. Going up this season would just be too soon for them.

Saddlebrains

Tbf i do think Robins has had 1 below average season, not poor, and that was the L2 season

How we didnt piss the league with the squad we had I dont know, we scraped into the play offs last day and Got some ridiculous luck in the semis

Other than that the mans better than Pep

NorthernWisdom

Tbf i do think Robins has had 1 below average season, not poor, and that was the L2 season

How we didnt piss the league with the squad we had I dont know, we scraped into the play offs last day and Got some ridiculous luck in the semis

Other than that the mans better than Pep
Can't overstate what an achievement turning around the momentum in that league 2 season was. The club had a culture of losing built into it, and he stopped that and reversed that. I'd say getting out of league 2 was a massive achievement really.

SkyBlueMatt

Win the playoffs?

Last season I felt it was more important to get promoted than this one. We more or less knew we would lose our best 2 players if we didn't go up and would need a big rebuild. This season it's just go along with the journey. If we fail again this season we'll have a cracking season next season. The CBS will be rocking and we will be picking points up from the start.

I'm not even sure I want promotion this season. This side with another year together and a few more additions slowly brought into the side would surprise a few people. Going up this season would just be too soon for them.

🤞Even if we finish lower but gain more points, I'll count that as an improvement.

Now you've lost me! :ROFLMAO: I'd take promotion whenever we could get it, there is no guarantee next year. If I could choose, I agree, next season but I don't think any club has that luxury.

shmmeee

For me it would take over a season to decide he’s not worth persisting with, maybe even two full seasons.

I think people really forget just how dire it was before him TBH. It’s a very high bar to think someone else is going to be even close that even if he has two bad seasons it’s still probably worth persisting with him over 90% of potential replacements.

Skyblueweeman

Just to clarify my point - I'm not saying there's not been times when he might have been questioned since he's been here.

All I'm saying is that it's dangerous to imply that someone shouldn't be questioned. I think my posting history suggests that I'm in love with what MR has done for our club. From my point of view, he's our best manager ever.

But no one is above questioning if warranted. My point is that it's not been warranted so far and MR has earned legendary status amongst us. There could come a point when his decisions might need be questioned. That point is longer down the line for most, whereas for some, a bit of poor form over 1-2 months seems to warrant taxis etc.

That's all.

Skybluedownunder

You have also included right backs like Cody Drammah, is he fuck better than MvE

Squad was asked dickhead, don’t try and change my wording, we don’t have a spare right back and Lati is not a right back.

I have said above that MvE is quality and an amazing signing.

In response to Astute…

Patterson/Woodman/Johansson > Wilson/Collins
Ballard/Wharton/Porteous > Fadz
Buchanan/Pickering > JDS
Whiteman/Grimes > Kelly
Wharton/O’Brien > Eccles
Whittaker/Moran/Jones > Tavares
Knight/Carvalho > Allen
Bellingham/Smodics > Palmer
Flemming/Piroe > Godden

Skybluedownunder

To be fair he makes it look effortless on a daily basis

7557204f259a954e30e15663cfc72894.jpg

David O'Day

Squad was asked dickhead, don’t try and change my wording, we don’t have a spare right back and Lati is not a right back.

I have said above that MvE is quality and an amazing signing.

In response to Astute…

Patterson/Woodman/Johansson > Wilson/Collins
Ballard/Wharton/Porteous > Fadz
Buchanan/Pickering > JDS
Whiteman/Grimes > Kelly
Wharton/O’Brien > Eccles
Whittaker/Moran/Jones > Tavares
Knight > Allen
Bellingham/Smodics > Palmer
Flemming/Piroe > Godden

lati is a capable right back and eccles can also play there, also leeds are not going to loan us a player to be a back up we wouldn't pay the fee they would want (remember he is a leeds player on loan at blue

you need to get real with your suggestions

clint van damme

I don't feel the need to 'call people out' or point score as it were on stuff they might have said a month ago, two months, or whenever the hell it was; what's the rationale? Quite sure they can see they were wrong.

Robins is a phenomenal manager, hope he is here for a long time;its really that simple for me.

Sadlebrains does it every season, he's a fucking clown.
A likable one, but a clown nonetheless.

Skybluedownunder

lati is a capable right back and eccles can also play there, also leeds are not going to loan us a player to be a back up we wouldn't pay the fee they would want (remember he is a leeds player on loan at blue

you need to get real with your suggestions

The question was who would I have over our players that are at other squads so I named them.

There was never anything ‘real’ about it or the question

David O'Day

The question was who would I have over our players that are at other squads so I named them.

There was never anything ‘real’ about it or the question

ok fella, you've had a mare

i wouldn't have someone who isn't as good as our actual right back and would be expensive and want to play every week

Gibbo

This always was a daft thread doomed to be full of mea culpas only weeks later.

I have supported City since 1962 and until Robins came, had only experienced one period of sustained success - 1962-67 - otherwise success was restricted to brief spasms of joy, the last one being Eric Black 20 year ago. Therefore after 6 years of winning most weeks, and two promotions, I am prepared to give Robins a colossal amount of slack to the point of sticking with him even if we had been relegated. He is 54 and with luck we will have another six years of him and his team.

If he had a stroke of luck it was that by taking over when we really were in the 'slough of despond' he had more space and time to develop the machinery you need. One wonders what his fate would have been had he been given the job say before Thorne with no time to put the building blocks in place and an owner as yet to learn how to run a football club. Probably fired within 18 months.

This year he started with:
- Minus his three best players from the previous season (add Doyle to the obvious) and also McNally.
- The recruitment team had not been able to deliver like for like replacements. We underrate how difficult that is to do.
- At least two of the key new signings - Wright and Saka - did not easily fit the well established 3-4-2-1 (or similar) we had been using
- By Oct as few as 1-2 players were in the team from the 22-23.. Again we underrate the size of the task building a team mentality

Robins' innate conservatism puts a high value on consistency. The team has definitely prospered from this. They know exactly where they stand. But that applies to selection and formation and Robins has a record of being slightly behind the curve on bringing in change. But it is a trade off and we have gained massively from that consistency of approach.

Senior Vick from Alicante

I think the most impressive thing about Robins is the calmness. He learned a valuable lesson when he left the first time for Huddersfield, teams need to be built rather bought. He also has humility, you have to eat humble pie to admit you were wrong to have left. The coaching set up and staff are highly thought of by the fan base, players who come recognise that they will become better under Robins and his team and buy into the whole team ethos which includes the fans. Its not very often that these things click into place, the fact that Robins has been able to achieve this under the previous regime makes it all the more remarkable. Sisu did two things right in their time here, they arguably saved us from financial oblivion and appointed Robins twice. Enjoy it while you can as there will be admirers of his talents who will be tempted to try and nick him, hopefully he will finish the job before we loose the most integral part of the team.

Users who are viewing this thread